Bad decisions made by characters in the Bond movie's.

Comments

ListenToMe wrote:
    CR.

Bond shooting up an embassy, causing a big explosion then just leaving the guy he was chasing in the first place.

He got what he needed from the bag I suppose but he couldn't have know that could he? Unless he was just after the bag, but if he was, why did he keep the bomb maker with him for so long?

If all he wanted was the bag he could've just shut the door, knocked out everyone in the room then taken the bag and walked out of there.

Yeah that scene has always puzzled me.

Another bad decision made by Bond in that sequence: Not just shooting the bomb maker in the leg (injuring him but not killing him), when he started doing the parkour stuff.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    This is a belter of a bad decision, Bond taking M to Skyfall Lodge to her death. Could MI6 have not just got M on a private jet or helicopter and got her out of the country to guaranteed safety.
    Yeah I'm not sure why Mallory, Tanner and Q just go along with Bond's plan and lead Silva and his small army of men right to them without even sending any back up. I kept waiting for the cavalry to arrive at some point to trap Silva but it never came. I understand that James Bond was protecting her but still... come on.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    pachazo wrote:
    This is a belter of a bad decision, Bond taking M to Skyfall Lodge to her death. Could MI6 have not just got M on a private jet or helicopter and got her out of the country to guaranteed safety.
    Yeah I'm not sure why Mallory, Tanner and Q just go along with Bond's plan and lead Silva and his small army of men right to them without even sending any back up. I kept waiting for the cavalry to arrive at some point to trap Silva but it never came. I understand that James Bond was protecting her but still... come on.
    M specifically stated that she didn't want anyone else dying for her.
    I'm sure that they could understand why she felt that way but that doesn't mean that you just let it happen. Plus the fact that Silva is now one of the world's most wanted and dangerous terrorists. You would think that apprehending and or killing him would be priority number one at that point.
    pachazo wrote:
    I'm sure that they could understand why she felt that way but that doesn't mean that you just let it happen. Plus the fact that Silva is now one of the world's most wanted and dangerous terrorists. You would think that apprehending and or killing him would be priority number one at that point.

That's why i struggle with Skyfall, emotional decision making seems to over ride logic too frequently. It attempts in some ways to be a Greek tragedy and fails for me.
    pachazo wrote:

I always thought bringing in troops would have tip Silva that it is a trap and he would have retreated and kept on rampaging the UK in targeted cyber-terrorist attacks until M gets out of her hiding place.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Bond being the least secret secret agent in the world.

*Walks into Chinese hotel*

Ah, Mr Bond, so good to see you again.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Mallory wrote:

Yeah, that gets annoying. There are times in the series (a lot in the Moore era) where you see Bond being regarded by his great reputation all over the place for being a famous 00. Sorry, James, but the last time I checked "secret" agent implies that your job stays just that!
    Mallory wrote:

Yeah, that gets annoying. There are times in the series (a lot in the Moore era) where you see Bond being regarded by his great reputation all over the place for being a famous 00. Sorry, James, but the last time I checked "secret" agent implies that your job stays just that!

This started in DAF I think, and I blame Tom Mankiewicz for that.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Mallory wrote:

There does seem to be a connection there, with Mankiewicz being involved in the script writing at times where Bond seems to be the most popular bloke around and just two steps from appearing on the cover of TIME magazine as 'Person of the Year.'
    What I never could fathom is why Col. Moon/Graves decides to spend bilions of dollars on a space-laser, whilst he could've kept those and lived the life of one of the richest tycoons in history. Why bother about reuniting the Korea's under Northern rule why you could make a name for yourself in the west, no risk involved?

You forget one thing: Moon was fanatical. For the North Korean brass, the Korean war will not be over until all Korea is reunited under North Korean rule. All Moon's efforts tended towards this goal. And in fact, his plan made sense, provided, of course, that he had a giant laser cannon with which to annihilate everything standing in his way, and everything the enemy could throw at him.

I love the 'You've just killed James Bond'- as if it were the President of the United States!
    Ludovico wrote:
    Mallory wrote:

There does seem to be a connection there, with Mankiewicz being involved in the script writing at times where Bond seems to be the most popular bloke around and just two steps from appearing on the cover of TIME magazine as 'Person of the Year.'

I really disliked his take on the character, Bond seemed to be reduced to a number of clichés, he was more a popular, self conscious image than a character.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I love the 'You've just killed James Bond'- as if it were the President of the United States!
    That English secret agent? From England?
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Mallory wrote:

I really disliked his take on the character, Bond seemed to be reduced to a number of clichés, he was more a popular, self conscious image than a character.

What do you mean by self conscious? I am trying to think of examples...
    Just goes to show no one's indestructible.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Just goes to show no one's indestructible.

What are you referring to with that statement?
    Oh Brady, it HAS been a long time since you've seen DAF, eh? :))
    (Bond to Tiffany after she thinks he's killed James Bond)
    chrisisall wrote:
    Oh Brady, it HAS been a long time since you've seen DAF, eh? :))
    (Bond to Tiffany after she thinks he's killed James Bond)

There were no previous comments quoted in your post, so I didn't know for certain what you were referring to, that's all. And yes, I haven't seen DAF in a while; I am not a masochistic fool.
    And yes, I haven't seen DAF in a while; I am not a masochistic fool.
    Pffft. It's good fun. >:D<

in DAD right before the pre titles he should habe jumped into that waterfall. I mean come on they would have thought you were dead and then they wouldnt have to trade Zao for bond and keep him in jail.

I also didnt understand why Zorin let May Day have sex with Bond. Wasnt May Day and Zorin like kinda dating or somthing?
    fjdinardo wrote:
    I also didnt understand why Zorin let May Day have sex with Bond. Wasnt May Day and Zorin like kinda dating or somthing?
    Sometime you'll loan your tools out.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Mallory wrote:

What do you mean by self conscious? I am trying to think of examples...

Might not be the right word, I mean conscious of his existence as a fictitious character in a genre. Moore Bond was sometimes like that, but never nearly as much as Connery was in DAF. DAF, it is the prototype of Austin Powers.
    Ludovico wrote:
    pachazo wrote:

I always thought bringing in troops would have tip Silva that it is a trap and he would have retreated and kept on rampaging the UK in targeted cyber-terrorist attacks until M gets out of her hiding place.

Yes that is a risk you take in that plan. It surely is better than the alternative of doing nothing though.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Gerard wrote:
    What I never could fathom is why Col. Moon/Graves decides to spend bilions of dollars on a space-laser, whilst he could've kept those and lived the life of one of the richest tycoons in history. Why bother about reuniting the Korea's under Northern rule why you could make a name for yourself in the west, no risk involved?

You forget one thing: Moon was fanatical. For the North Korean brass, the Korean war will not be over until all Korea is reunited under North Korean rule. All Moon's efforts tended towards this goal. And in fact, his plan made sense, provided, of course, that he had a giant laser cannon with which to annihilate everything standing in his way, and everything the enemy could throw at him.
    Perhaps, but then I've always found fanatics idiots. But at least he should've build a laser that get's loaded up by solar panels instead of enhancing the sunbeam itself, as it renders your 'laser' utter useless whenever the earth gets inbetween the satalite and the sun. Say, every 24 hours your 'laser' will be 'out of sevice' for at least six hours...

Also in AVTAK when Tibbett goes to open the gate to leave the horse ranch and he sees that may day has suddenly disappeared wouldnt it be wise to look in the back seat to see if she was there. I mean how do you not think of that.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 1,964
    00Beast wrote:
    As for my own bad decisions thought, here are several:
    -Xenia keeping her rappel cord on her back during her tussel with Bond in the jungle
    -Jaws telling his fellow thug to speed up the cable car on Sugarloaf Mountain (played for laughs, yes, but wow, completely idiotic)
    -Bert Saxby popping his head out of cover when he knew that CIA agents were shooting at him

She did take her cord off but Bond lached it back onto her before he shot her Rifle at the Helicopter
  • PierceuhhhPierceuhhh Banned
    ListenToMe wrote:
    CR.

Bond shooting up an embassy, causing a big explosion then just leaving the guy he was chasing in the first place.

He got what he needed from the bag I suppose but he couldn't have know that could he? Unless he was just after the bag, but if he was, why did he keep the bomb maker with him for so long?

If all he wanted was the bag he could've just shut the door, knocked out everyone in the room then taken the bag and walked out of there.

Yeah that scene has always puzzled me.

ListenToMe chap welcome to the forum. I see from my IPadp that you already a trust memember here on the forums :) Welcome...

BUT I MUST SAY I do NOT approve of your usdername. If the Mollakan Ambassdor says "Listen to me" then everyone stop the here what he has to say. Ok sure. BUT then he doesn not say anything! No follow up! No wodner Bond lose his trademark cool lol :() and shoot up the embassy "Is the man derange?"
    pachazo wrote:

So why did she not walk into the street, your logic states that she does not want anybody else to die for her BUT 007.

No they did not come up with a good reason to add the SF estate and disguised it with the always popular DB5 moment.

SaintMark wrote:
    pachazo wrote:

So why did she not walk into the street, your logic states that she does not want anybody else to die for her BUT 007.

No they did not come up with a good reason to add the SF estate and disguised it with the always popular DB5 moment.

M said she and Bond were the only ones that were leaving before she said that she wanted nobody else to die, meaning nobody else should risk their lives but she and Bond.

And the DB5 "moment" wasn't the only reason Skyfall existed, obviously. How exaggeratory.