What's really left of Fleming to adapt?

echoecho 007 in New York
edited March 2013 in Literary 007 Posts: 5,947
Let's pretend we're Babs or MGW for a moment. What's left to plunder?

CR: very little
LALD: the underwater swim, Mr. Big's scheme
MR: most of it (the card game at Blades, Gala Brand, the cliffs of Dover, the climax)
DAF: the kicking torture, the Spangs, the train climax
FRWL: very little
DN: the squid fight, the guano burial
GF: very little
FYEO: all of QoS and FAVTAK, including Mary Ann Russell; Liz Krest, Fidele Barbey, and the plot of THR
TB: very little
TSWLM: all of it (legally off-limits)
OHMSS: very little
YOLT: the Garden of Death, the geyser, the balloon escape, the cliffhanger
TMWTGG: the assassination attempt, the train sequence
OP and TLD: very little

If they decide to go back to Fleming, their best shots are the usual suspects: LALD, MR, YOLT, and TMWTGG. And, curiously, THR.

Presumably, FAVTAK and QoS are less ripe for adaptation because they are, respectively, dated and talky.
«1345

Comments

  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Posts: 9,117
    One scene I really want to see with DC's Bond is the one in OHMSS where he denies knowing Campbell and they drag him off to his death. And then Bond lights a cigarette with a 'dead steady hand'.

    Also the Rolex knuckleduster scene would be class.
  • Posts: 14,816
    I would add to this, right off the bat: the death scene of Mr Big, his full name (Buonaparte Ignace Gallia), some other names and characters that have not been used, some dialogues (I am thinking about TB especially)...
  • Chitty Chitty needs a reboot.
  • Posts: 12,837
    I'd love to see some YOLT inspiration. The garden of death and mental, hitler esque samurai Blofeld would be great to see come to life on the big screen.
  • Posts: 14,816
    Isn't the PTS of Skyfall at least partially inspired by From A View to a Kill? The documents/list, the motorcycle...
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited March 2013 Posts: 5,947
    Ludovico wrote:
    Isn't the PTS of Skyfall at least partially inspired by From A View to a Kill? The documents/list, the motorcycle...
    Interesting observation. Now that P&W are gone, I'd love to hear their perspective on just how much Fleming they intentionally used--for example, was the ending of the film QoS inspired by 007 in NY?
  • Posts: 686
    echo wrote:
    Let's pretend we're Babs or MGW for a moment. What's left to plunder?

    CR: very little
    LALD: the underwater swim, Mr. Big's scheme
    MR: most of it (the card game at Blades, Gala Brand, the cliffs of Dover, the climax)
    DAF: the kicking torture, the Spangs, the train climax
    FRWL: very little
    DN: the squid fight, the guano burial
    GF: very little
    FYEO: all of QoS and FAVTAK, including Mary Ann Russell; Liz Krest, Fidele Barbey, and the plot of THR
    TB: very little
    TSWLM: all of it (legally off-limits)
    OHMSS: very little
    YOLT: the Garden of Death, the geyser, the balloon escape, the cliffhanger
    TMWTGG: the assassination attempt, the train sequence
    OP and TLD: very little

    If they decide to go back to Fleming, their best shots are the usual suspects: LALD, MR, YOLT, and TMWTGG. And, curiously, THR.

    Presumably, FAVTAK and QoS are less ripe for adaptation because they are, respectively, dated and talky.

    The Character Maria Freudenstein has not been used. Miranda Frost was the closest, but no cigar.

    What they need to do is go back to the Bond who worked alone, who doesn't need to ask permission since he has a 00-number.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Posts: 28,694
    Perdogg wrote:
    echo wrote:
    Let's pretend we're Babs or MGW for a moment. What's left to plunder?

    CR: very little
    LALD: the underwater swim, Mr. Big's scheme
    MR: most of it (the card game at Blades, Gala Brand, the cliffs of Dover, the climax)
    DAF: the kicking torture, the Spangs, the train climax
    FRWL: very little
    DN: the squid fight, the guano burial
    GF: very little
    FYEO: all of QoS and FAVTAK, including Mary Ann Russell; Liz Krest, Fidele Barbey, and the plot of THR
    TB: very little
    TSWLM: all of it (legally off-limits)
    OHMSS: very little
    YOLT: the Garden of Death, the geyser, the balloon escape, the cliffhanger
    TMWTGG: the assassination attempt, the train sequence
    OP and TLD: very little

    If they decide to go back to Fleming, their best shots are the usual suspects: LALD, MR, YOLT, and TMWTGG. And, curiously, THR.

    Presumably, FAVTAK and QoS are less ripe for adaptation because they are, respectively, dated and talky.

    The Character Maria Freudenstein has not been used. Miranda Frost was the closest, but no cigar.

    What they need to do is go back to the Bond who worked alone, who doesn't need to ask permission since he has a 00-number.

    Bond should always have a team behind him and a boss who keeps him in line, that's just common sense from my point of view. It reflects the needs of his job position.
  • Posts: 533

    There is nothing left of Fleming to adapt. Now is the time for EON Productions to use the John Gardner and Raymond Benson novels.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited March 2013 Posts: 17,774
    What did they really adapt from Fleming? Very little if you look at it from the hard view of percentages. There's a hell of a lot of Fleming left...don't believe otherwise.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited March 2013 Posts: 5,947
    Dragonpol wrote:
    What did they really adapt from Fleming? Very little if you look at it from the hard view of percentages. There's a hell of a lot of Fleming left...don't believe otherwise.
    They've adapted the greater part of seven books (CR, LALD, FRWL, GF, TB, OHMSS, OP/TLD). They've adapted about 1/2 of DAF, FYEO, and (thanks to SF) maybe 1/3 of YOLT and TMWTGG. MR was loosely adapted originally but has since been attempted under various guises (GE, DAD, the stock scheme in CR). TSWLM cannot be officially adapted although there are tidbits in the Jaws character.

    There's not a ton of Fleming material remaining.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Posts: 13,888
    A moment where Bond is having breakfast with coffee, provided by May Maxwell. Such a scene with his housekeeper might not suit Craig's Bond, but I'm certain we'll see it sooner or later.
  • PierceuhhhPierceuhhh Banned
    Posts: 104
    Griffin Or
  • Posts: 3,279
    DRush76 wrote:
    There is nothing left of Fleming to adapt.
    Did you miss the opening post in this thread.....?
    There is still plenty.

    8-|
  • Posts: 3,279
    echo wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    What did they really adapt from Fleming? Very little if you look at it from the hard view of percentages. There's a hell of a lot of Fleming left...don't believe otherwise.
    They've adapted the greater part of seven books (CR, LALD, FRWL, GF, TB, OHMSS, OP/TLD). They've adapted about 1/2 of DAF, FYEO, and (thanks to SF) maybe 1/3 of YOLT and TMWTGG. MR was loosely adapted originally but has since been attempted under various guises (GE, DAD, the stock scheme in CR). TSWLM cannot be officially adapted although there are tidbits in the Jaws character.

    There's not a ton of Fleming material remaining.
    There is still enough for at least another couple of films.

  • PierceuhhhPierceuhhh Banned
    Posts: 104
    When Bond visit Goldfinger house and see his cat...

    "Do u like cats Mr Bond?" Goldfinger say.
    "Sufficiently" replies the british agent

    Would love to see this acted out by Danuel Craig on the saver screen...
  • Posts: 14,816
    echo wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    What did they really adapt from Fleming? Very little if you look at it from the hard view of percentages. There's a hell of a lot of Fleming left...don't believe otherwise.
    They've adapted the greater part of seven books (CR, LALD, FRWL, GF, TB, OHMSS, OP/TLD). They've adapted about 1/2 of DAF, FYEO, and (thanks to SF) maybe 1/3 of YOLT and TMWTGG. MR was loosely adapted originally but has since been attempted under various guises (GE, DAD, the stock scheme in CR). TSWLM cannot be officially adapted although there are tidbits in the Jaws character.

    There's not a ton of Fleming material remaining.
    There is still enough for at least another couple of films.

    I think so too. Small trivial things too. Bond's dislike of tea. Milton Krest's character (the name was used, but that's about it), the Hildebrandt Rarity, etc.
  • Posts: 1,314
    I wish they'd reintroduce the connoisseur aspects of Fleming's Bond. The food and wine knowledge. Would only have to be 2 lines a film but would keep me happy.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Posts: 9,117
    Pierceuhhh wrote:
    When Bond visit Goldfinger house and see his cat...

    "Do u like cats Mr Bond?" Goldfinger say.
    "Sufficiently" replies the british agent

    Would love to see this acted out by Danuel Craig on the saver screen...

    And the villain has a henchman who he gives the cat to for dinner as a treat!

    Also the showdown with Scaramanga in the swamp. They would change the name obviously and maybe the location but both mean dead on their feet and Bond preparing to execute him but being too British and giving him 2 minutes to pray.

    And the whole losing his memory/brainwashed/attacking M arc needs to be done before Daniel goes. Potential for some really gritty material here and I can see Ralph pulling it off nicely but first we need at least one standard 'give Bond a mission - Bond does mission - Bond gets girl'.

    I like all this gritty psychological stuff but the reason it's so exciting in Fleming is that its used sparingly. It's great to push the envelope but it shouldn't become the envelope as before you know it you're doing it every film and then it just gets silly if Bond is getting traumatised at the end of every film.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Posts: 28,694
    DRush76 wrote:
    There is nothing left of Fleming to adapt.
    Did you miss the opening post in this thread.....?
    There is still plenty.

    8-|
    Some people will look negatively on everything, that's how it is; controversy for its own sake.
  • Posts: 12,506
    Having not read any of the novels? Too which i apologise, i can only assume that there are no doubt a number of villains names that have not been used perhaps?
  • Posts: 3,279
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Having not read any of the novels? Too which i apologise, i can only assume that there are no doubt a number of villains names that have not been used perhaps?
    Yup! Certainly is. And still plenty of scenes.....and plots.

  • Posts: 12,506
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Having not read any of the novels? Too which i apologise, i can only assume that there are no doubt a number of villains names that have not been used perhaps?
    Yup! Certainly is. And still plenty of scenes.....and plots.

    Can you give any examples of both?
  • RC7RC7
    Posts: 10,512
    RogueAgent wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Having not read any of the novels? Too which i apologise, i can only assume that there are no doubt a number of villains names that have not been used perhaps?
    Yup! Certainly is. And still plenty of scenes.....and plots.

    Can you give any examples of both?

    Perhaps you should read the books. There's plenty of material that can be adapted or referenced. They'll still be looking to Fleming in 50 years.
  • Posts: 12,506
    RC7 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Having not read any of the novels? Too which i apologise, i can only assume that there are no doubt a number of villains names that have not been used perhaps?
    Yup! Certainly is. And still plenty of scenes.....and plots.

    Can you give any examples of both?

    Perhaps you should read the books. There's plenty of material that can be adapted or referenced. They'll still be looking to Fleming in 50 years.

    I wish i could my friend? My life is just way too hectic to be able to settle down with a good novel. If i sit down too long? I am counting the Zzzzzzzzzzz! :))
  • RC7RC7
    Posts: 10,512
    Download the audio books. You can listen while on the move. The literary Bond will change your perspective completely. It's rich with ideas.
  • Posts: 12,506
    RC7 wrote:
    Download the audio books. You can listen while on the move. The literary Bond will change your perspective completely. It's rich with ideas.

    That's a pretty good idea, may well have to consider it!
  • Posts: 3,279
    RC7 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Having not read any of the novels? Too which i apologise, i can only assume that there are no doubt a number of villains names that have not been used perhaps?
    Yup! Certainly is. And still plenty of scenes.....and plots.

    Can you give any examples of both?

    Perhaps you should read the books.
    Thanks RC7. I was just about to tell him the same..... ;)
  • Riscio seems like an obvious choice from the Short Story collection found in 'For Your Eyes Only'.

    It's curious too, that S Faulks' Devil May Care is very similar in storyline. Anyone care to comment?

    Maybe there could be a movie combining these two? I prefer Faulks' title in fact too.
  • edited March 2013 Posts: 80
    I would love a New York based movie too, not the NY bashing Fleming short story though. Since Daniel Craig lives there part of the year, I'm sure he'd be up for that and he's just done this fine job for Range Rover there:



    Get Ridley Scott to direct too!
Sign In or Register to comment.