What's really left of Fleming to adapt?

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited November 2015 Posts: 17,816
    AceHole wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    MR and FAVTAK seem to me the only stories left with any real content that can be used.

The whole Bond/Drax dynamic has never really been done, and Blades would be an interesting venue for Fiennes 'M' character exploration...

Yes, though I'd also add TSWLM and YOLT to that list as well.

Yes but can they really be used for a film? Spy and what's left of Yolt don't strike me as movie material.

Well I think that there might be something in YOLT still with the Garden of Death business as I make clear here:

http://www.thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2015/08/the-madness-of-king-ernst-i-in-ian.html
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    I'm not keen on the Garden Of Death thing, tbh. Too much biblical context, methinks.
    I'm not keen on the Garden Of Death thing, tbh. Too much biblical context, methinks.

Biblical Context in Bond is what I like but each to their own on that one I guess.
    While most of THR has yet to be used, I think a more compelling title would be The Property of a Lady. Yes, I know the egg & Sotheby's setting was used in OP...but the title is still out there & was being considered for Dalton's third outing as 007. It could still see the light of day (with a whole new storyline, of course...)

It could work as a title.

At the start of the next film Bond and Madeline are living together and he has resigned the service and is living under the thumb - hence Property of a Lady

Then Ernst escapes and kills Madeline and Bond is forced to pull on the shoulder and realises there is he only one lady he is truly the property of - Her Majesty the Queen.

You can have that for free P&W.

The Property of a Lady could be Bond in relationship to the Queen.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Ludovico wrote: »
    While most of THR has yet to be used, I think a more compelling title would be The Property of a Lady. Yes, I know the egg & Sotheby's setting was used in OP...but the title is still out there & was being considered for Dalton's third outing as 007. It could still see the light of day (with a whole new storyline, of course...)

It could work as a title.

At the start of the next film Bond and Madeline are living together and he has resigned the service and is living under the thumb - hence Property of a Lady

Then Ernst escapes and kills Madeline and Bond is forced to pull on the shoulder and realises there is he only one lady he is truly the property of - Her Majesty the Queen.

You can have that for free P&W.

The Property of a Lady could be Bond in relationship to the Queen.

Yeah thats sort of basically what I just said mate.

58729822.jpg
    Oops!
    I agree that 'The Property of A Lady' is the best of the remaining Fleming Bond titles left to use/adapt. Like other members I can see the adaptability of this title and this is why it could be moulded and sculpted to fit pretty much any Bond script, either new or based on Fleming. Plus, I'd hope we'd get another auction scene of some sort as I love these in spy films. :)
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    MR and FAVTAK seem to me the only stories left with any real content that can be used.

The whole Bond/Drax dynamic has never really been done, and Blades would be an interesting venue for Fiennes 'M' character exploration...

Yes but can they really be used for a film? Spy and what's left of Yolt don't strike me as movie material.

Pre -title sequences.
    suavejmf wrote: »

Pre -title sequences.

I suppose so, but it seems rather a waste of good material.
    suavejmf wrote: »

Pre -title sequences.

TSWLM could be used as a PTS in the film after next I guess.

Blofeld on the run after killing Madeline at the end of Bond 25 and Bond looking for him in Vermont. And he just happens to stop off in a motel and meet a girl who he saves from some cardboard cut out gangsters.

Am I alone in thinking that would be completely shit though? Bond staying in a Travel Tavern really?

'Hello reception? Mr Bond here. I'm afraid the room won't do. The bed is too small, I can't get Bangkok Chickboys on my TV and I've just dismantled my Corby trouser press.'

Still in this brave new Corbyn wonderland we are living in they could do some sort of advertising tie in with Travelodge/Motel 6/Formule 1 (delete as per your territory) that would make the Bond lifestyle more accessible to the working man who can't afford Omega and Aston.

Or perhaps Premier Inn? Then we could have Lenny Henry as the first black Bond.
  • sunsanvilsunsanvil Somewhere in Canada....somewhere.
    edited November 2015 Posts: 260
    Personally, I think there is a veritable goldmine still left to be had in the Flemming novels.

While I do like the Craig tenure, to me the past 20 year effort to make Bond "modern" and "relevant" is the wrong direction. If Hollywood can still make depression era gangster movies, wartime dramas, even period pieces, why cant we make a "classic" bond, actually set in the early 60's?
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited November 2015 Posts: 5,986
    I think that realistically this is what is left (faithfully) unadapted:

LALD: gold coin plot (dated), barracuda swim
    MR: most of it (despite GE/DAD, also dated)
    DAF: Spang brothers, racetrack, Spectreville
    FAVTAK: all of it
    QoS: all of it
    THR: most of it
    TSWLM: most of it (despite TSWLM/QoS films, restricted)
    YOLT: Garden of Death, Blofeld in armour, torture scene, balloon escape, Kissy pregnant, amnesia, Russia)
    TMWTGG: M assassination attempt
    , hotel meeting, train, swamp chase
    OP: most of it

QoS and OP are basically unusable at this point because Bond is not the protagonist. FAVTAK is very thin except for perhaps his history in Paris.

LALD and DAF are down to bits and pieces. TMWTGG is mostly retreads of better books already filmed except for the assassination scene, which would work well with Ralph Fiennes' M.

THR has potential, perhaps as a PTS. MR would need a serious updating but there is good material there.

That leaves YOLT. I would have thought it too over the top for Craig but now that we have Spectre, the torture/balloon/pregnancy/amnesia could work. I'm not sure the GoD suicides would play onscreen; it would be a downer even for Craig's era and we know Babs/MGW are not going to want an R rating. Still, it would be great to see Bond visit Japan again.

There is definitely enough in TSWLM and YOLT for movie material, even if its just 1 or 2 scenes. Bond saves a girl in a motel, and Bond tracks Blofeld down in his Garden of Death, including sitting on a chair above a volcano, and escaping via a balloon.

There is also tons of material never used in TMWTGG - a brainwashed Bond to kill M, Bond undercover as Mark Hazard to get close to his villain, the end gunfight on the train.

There is tons of stuff in DAF too - the train scene, Bond getting kicked nearly to death, the horse race scene, the mud bath scene.

Then there is the MR novel too.

The more I think about it, there is enough material to cover another 3 films at least.....
    Bond tracks Blofeld down in his Garden of Death, including sitting on a chair above a volcano, and escaping via a balloon.

Please, never ever let them use this
    :|
    Bond tracks Blofeld down in his Garden of Death, including sitting on a chair above a volcano, and escaping via a balloon.

Roald Dahl left this material out. Think about that for a moment.
    echo wrote: »

An apt point. Perhaps J.K Rowling fancies a try at writing bond#25 ..? X_X
    Most people ITT talk about Blofeld killing Swann in B25...I'd prefer if Bond just says "it didn't work out" and leaves it at that without Swann returning.

What do you mean ?
    Dahl specialized in over-the-top plots in his books.

I like the idea of Swann being a Tiffany Case who just didn't work out.

I know, but what do you mean by "left" was he offered to write YOLT the movie or ?
    He didn't include the OTT material.
    He didn't include the OTT material.
    I would easily have preferred a true adaptation of the Fleming novel, rather than the Roald Dahl's version we got instead.

A captured Bond playing deaf and dumb, sat above a chair that will burn him alive in a few minutes is far more gripping than the OTT crapfest we got on screen.

Really? I thought the end climax in YOLT was superb.

I'd love that too.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.

'Hello reception? Mr Bond here. I'm afraid the room won't do. The bed is too small, I can't get Bangkok Chickboys on my TV and I've just dismantled my Corby trouser press.'

A nice Partridge reference there. And a few days back, you mentioned Arnold Judas Rimmer - quite possibly my fav comedy character. You, sir, have impeccable tastes!
    edited November 2015 Posts: 9,117
    royale65 wrote: »

A nice Partridge reference there. And a few days back, you mentioned Arnold Judas Rimmer - quite possibly my fav comedy character. You, sir, have impeccable tastes!

Lovely stuff.

I actually think Chris Barrie is very underrated. Rimmer is a fantastic creation and even his performance as Brittas managed to elevate it from dross to quite watchable (although it's years since I saw it last. It's probably appalling if you watch it now).

There used to be a Partridge thread on her as I recall didn't there? What happened to that? Needs reviving especially given the numerous Bond references in Partridge.
    royale65 wrote: »

Lovely stuff.

I actually think Chris Barrie is very underrated. Rimmer is a fantastic creation and even his performance as Brittas managed to elevate it from dross to quite watchable (although it's years since I saw it last. It's probably appalling if you watch it now).

There used to be a Partridge thread on her as I recall didn't there? What happened to that? Needs reviving especially given the numerous Bond references in Partridge.

Just for the record I'm a big Alan Partridge fan too!
  • RC7RC7
    dragonsky wrote: »

I know, but what do you mean by "left" was he offered to write YOLT the movie or ?

He wasn't just offered, he wrote it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Chitty Chitty needs a reboot.

No, you need a reboot inshallah.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    Honestly, if I could see the Garden of Death on screen I'd die happy.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    As for TSWLM being used I can't see it working
    More like 007 at crossroads Motel .