Skyfall Wins Bond's First Grammy -Make That Two Grammy's

Comments

• edited February 2013 Posts: 5,745
    Paul Epworth (co-writer of Adele's Skyfall) also won a BRIT. I've updated both his and Adele's wins in the OP.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Germanlady wrote:
    Alternate Oscars: Paul Thomas Anderson Wins! Leonardo Di Caprio Wins! Daniel Craig Wins!

http://www.contactmusic.com/in-depth/alternate-oscars-paul-thomas-anderson-wins-leonardo-di-caprio-wins-daniel-craig-wins_3517892
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Paul Epworth (co-writer of Adele's Skyfall) also won a BRIT. I've updated both his and Adele's wins in the OP.

Thanks for the info @Germanlady (very good read) and @JWESTBROOK.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 11,189
    I'm not sure if its oscar-worthy but its one of the best Bond songs we've had for some years.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    For my alternate Oscars I'd have nominated Dicaprio and Bardem for supporting actor. Either can win.

Looper would've been nominated for and would've won best score.

The Raid would've been nominated for and would've won best Foreign Film.

Django Unchained would've won Best Picture (I know there's a chance of this but it's probably not going to happen)

Denzel Washington would've won best actor for Flight (Day Lewis will win. I haven't seen Lincoln to be fair but Washington was amazing in this movie and deserves awards for it)

Skyfall would get best cinematography (strong chance of this happening in reality too), and best song (although I wasn't a huge fan of it).

And since these are my awards, I'm adding a best stunt award (long overdue) which Jackie Chan would win for dodging moving cars and going off a cliff in a roller skate suit.
  • Getafix wrote:

I wasn't a huge fan but it was a good song there's nothing else nominated that's any better.

Actually I did like the Ted theme.
    Actually I can't get excited about whether or ot she wins, because - this is THE one award, that has practically nothing to do with the film itsself. Its a win for Adele, but not for the film. I fear, Deakins won't win, so in my book - SF will leave with nothing - never mind if Adele wins.
  • Germanlady wrote:
    Actually I can't get excited about whether or ot she wins, because - this is THE one award, that has practically nothing to do with the film itsself. Its a win for Adele, but not for the film. I fear, Deakins won't win, so in my book - SF will leave with nothing - never mind if Adele wins.

I don't mean to offend here. But that is just one of the silliest comments I have read in a while. So SKYFALL will leave with nothing at the OSCARS even if Adele wins. How weird. The song SKYFALL is from the film SKYFALL. The song was written by a talented and respected singer songwriter. Its one of the best Bond songs in years. Just because you think that they are only giving the award to Adele and not the film doesn't make the win any less important for the film. ADELE wrote it for the FILM. The film called SKYFALL. Therefore if she wins she is representing the film. Therefore the film SKYFALL doesn't leave with nothing but picks up an Oscar for BEST ORIGINAL SONG - that just happens to be written by ADELE.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Germanlady wrote:

Hmmm, I think I see your point. The theme song at the end of the day is like the gunbarrel, it's important but the actual movie isn't affected by it.

EG- I'm not much for the LTK theme at all, I think it's a bit bland and boring. However, LTK is my favourite Bond movie and one of my favourite films in general. The theme song doesn't really affect the movie.

So I do see what you mean. Although I wouldn't say the movie isn't winning anything, the song still counts as a win for the movie. It's just an award that isn't given for the quality of the film itself, so I don't think it's as important as some of the others.
    Germanlady wrote:

I don't mean to offend here. But that is just one of the silliest comments I have read in a while. So SKYFALL will leave with nothing at the OSCARS even if Adele wins. How weird. The song SKYFALL is from the film SKYFALL. The song was written by a talented and respected singer songwriter. Its one of the best Bond songs in years. Just because you think that they are only giving the award to Adele and not the film doesn't make the win any less important for the film. ADELE wrote it for the FILM. The film called SKYFALL. Therefore if she wins she is representing the film. Therefore the film SKYFALL doesn't leave with nothing but picks up an Oscar for BEST ORIGINAL SONG - that just happens to be written by ADELE.

I completely agree with you @nobodydoesitbetter.
  • Germanlady wrote:

To write a very good, memorable Bond melody is one thing, to actually win prizes for it is something different if you ask me.

Saying this is in my opinion quite insulting. Not only towards Adele and Paul Epworth, but towards the entire Bond team. I think Daniel Craig actually begged for Adele to sing the next Bond tune. And it still takes a bunch of incredible talents to write such a memorable Bond song. A Bond song that has been written, after Adele and Paul Epworth got the script and also made beautiful lyrics about the actual film.

For me personally, an Oscar win for Adele actually FEELS like a 'Best Picture' Oscar. The music for Bond has always been a huge part of the movies. And this will be the first time in Bond history that this music effort will be awarded.

True, Adele has got her fame to support her. But Alicia Keys and Jack White have fame too, but they failed miserably in every aspect to write something memorable, something Oscar-worthy. I can still remember all the complaints from the fans on the MI6 Forums, me included. And now the song is finally exquisit, and we find something else to moan about: The Oscars.

Sorry @Germanlady, I know it's your opinion. And again, let's agree to disagree. But please have some respect for the team behind 'Skyfall', Adele and Paul Epworth included.
    I don't lack respect AT ALL, if you read me carefully. I said, its Adels achievement ALONE, so I don't count it as a win for the film. She just wrote a great song for a film, that happened to be a Bond film. It says nothing about the quality of the film - THAT is what I mean. ;)
    Germanlady wrote:
    I don't lack respect AT ALL, if you read me carefully. I said, its Adels achievement ALONE, so I don't count it as a win for the film. She just wrote a great song for a film, that happened to be a Bond film. It says nothing about the quality of the film - THAT is what I mean. ;)

Yes but it wouldn't have been written without the film, the basis on which the song's "story" is set. So it still counts. More than that TED song.
  • RC7RC7
    Given that Bond is probably the film franchise most synonymous with Music, I'm pretty happy for it to re-establish it's grip on that. Everyone has heard, and has a favourite Bond theme. It's as culturally relevant as the films themselves.
    RC7 wrote:
    Given that Bond is probably the film franchise most synonymous with Music, I'm pretty happy for it to re-establish it's grip on that. Everyone has heard, and has a favourite Bond theme. It's as culturally relevant as the films themselves.

Agree completely, the song in a Bond film is extremely important, it's an integral part of each one.
  • I think........it's time to prepare for Sunday's Academy Awards. In a positive way off course :-D. As you might have known, the Oscars this year are entirely dedicated to movie music and movie songs (Yes, it makes the category 'Best Original Song' stand out even more). There will be performances from the great Barbara Streisand and Dame Shirley Bassey. At least four James Bond title songs will be performed. Bassey will sing her three themes, 'Goldfinger', 'Diamonds Are Forever' and 'Moonraker'. And off course Adele will be performing her song 'Skyfall'.

To get in the mood, I advise everyone to rewatch this beautiful documentary about all James Bond title songs. It's in 14 parts. Enjoy ;-):
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    We need to have an Oscars thread to discuss things as the show goes on, especially THIS year.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    edited February 2013 Posts: 1,329
    I think........it's time to prepare for Sunday's Academy Awards. In a positive way off course :-D. As you might have known, the Oscars this year are entirely dedicated to movie music and movie songs (Yes, it makes the category 'Best Original Song' stand out even more). There will be performances from the great Barbara Streisand and Dame Shirley Bassey. At least four James Bond title songs will be performed. Bassey will sing her three themes, 'Goldfinger', 'Diamonds Are Forever' and 'Moonraker'. And off course Adele will be performing her song 'Skyfall'.

To get in the mood, I advise everyone to rewatch this beautiful documentary about all James Bond title songs. It's in 14 parts. Enjoy ;-):

That's great where's part 2 :D

EDIT: found it cheers
    EDIT 2: thunderball at 19? Nonsense! I think I've seen this documentary before , but I'm gonna keep watching as it was a while ago :)
    Oh god licence to kill at 15? Who decides this! The general public are morons.

• Hehe, the youngsters among us :P. It was a poll conducted by the broadcaster. Apparently 'Die Another Day' won hugely in 2006/2007 among those who were younger than 24 :-P.

I especially love Don Black's comments on the lyrics of 'The Man With The Golden Gun' hehe: "Well, it's just a delicious piece of nonsense really, a piece of cartoon hokum if you like..." :-))
  • Sandy wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

Agree completely, the song in a Bond film is extremely important, it's an integral part of each one.

I agree with both of these points. While it may not define the quality of the movie, a Bond song is intrinsically tied to a Bond movie. When a new Bond movie comes out, you ask yourself 3 questions: Who's the villain, who's the Bond girl, and who's singing the theme song? In fact, it's so tied to the movie that we call it a "theme" song. What other movie- even a franchise- are known for their opening songs?

If Adele wins, because of the nature of a Bond theme and movie, "Skyfall" as a whole wins.

• coolbyrne wrote:
    Sandy wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

I agree with both of these points. While it may not define the quality of the movie, a Bond song is intrinsically tied to a Bond movie. When a new Bond movie comes out, you ask yourself 3 questions: Who's the villain, who's the Bond girl, and who's singing the theme song? In fact, it's so tied to the movie that we call it a "theme" song. What other movie- even a franchise- are known for their opening songs?

If Adele wins, because of the nature of a Bond theme and movie, "Skyfall" as a whole wins.

Agreed 200% ;-). I can't wait to hear this announcement: "And the Oscar goes to.......'Skyfall'!"
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2283714/Oscars-2013-Adele-Anne-Hathaway-Hugh-Jackman-WILL-sing-live-Oscars-Wolverine-star-pictured-rehearsals.html

Onlookers note that Adele has been ‘indescribably mind-blowing’. Another observer told how at one point the singer performed the Oscar nominated Skyfall title song with no musical accompaniment.
    ’It was Adele, singing live and knocking it out of the park. Everyone stopped to listen. The carpenters and lighting guys started applauding. It’s impossible to impress those guys but they were bowled over and showed their respect.
    'It sounded out of this world unaccompanied and later some of us heard her sing with the full works, the full orchestra and it was one of those rare goose bump moments that you never forget’.
    Adele has already won the Golden Globe for best original song. She and co-writer Paul Epworth are front-runners to win the best song Oscar.

• edited February 2013 Posts: 11,119
    doubleoego wrote:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2283714/Oscars-2013-Adele-Anne-Hathaway-Hugh-Jackman-WILL-sing-live-Oscars-Wolverine-star-pictured-rehearsals.html

Onlookers note that Adele has been ‘indescribably mind-blowing’. Another observer told how at one point the singer performed the Oscar nominated Skyfall title song with no musical accompaniment.
    ’It was Adele, singing live and knocking it out of the park. Everyone stopped to listen. The carpenters and lighting guys started applauding. It’s impossible to impress those guys but they were bowled over and showed their respect.
    'It sounded out of this world unaccompanied and later some of us heard her sing with the full works, the full orchestra and it was one of those rare goose bump moments that you never forget’.
    Adele has already won the Golden Globe for best original song. She and co-writer Paul Epworth are front-runners to win the best song Oscar.

Wonderful article! These Oscars will be more special for me than previous Oscar shows if you ask me. Entirely dedicated to movie music, this could be one of the most watched Oscar events in years with rating figures that are indeed higher than previous years.

Because have a look at this list :-P: Anne Hathaway (singing 'I Dreamt A Dream' from 'Les Misérables'), Adele (singing 'Skyfall'), Hugh Jackman (singing 'Suddenly' from 'Les Misérables'), Barbra Streisand (singing 'Evergreen' from 'A Star Is Born' and 'I Finally Found Someone' from 'The Mirror Has Two Faces'), Dame Shirley Bassey (singing 'Goldfinger', 'Moonraker' and 'Diamonds Are Forever'), Norah Jones (singing 'Everybody Needs A Best Friend' from 'Ted'), Catherina Zeta Jones (singing 'All That Jazz' from 'Chicago'), Jennifer Hudson (singing 'Listen' from 'Dreamgirls'). Great no?
  • Wunderful

Not sure if you're doing it on purpose for whatever reason but I've seen you type that a few times now so I thought I'd help you out: you're spelling wonderful wrong :)
  • THEBond007THEBond007 Banned
    Maybe they'll do a 50 years of Bond tribute at the Oscars?[
    /quote]

Good I idea I hope so too. It could be the least they could do since they didnt' get best picture. If any thing I will be happy if they win the BEst song one because they already won a golden globe.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 11,119
    Wunderful

Not sure if you're doing it on purpose for whatever reason but I've seen you type that a few times now so I thought I'd help you out: you're spelling wonderful wrong :)

Now if you say the word in Dutch......it's 1 - 1 ;-)! Thanks for your notice though ;-).

By the way, do some posters in here know where we can watch the Oscars online? I NEED to see it this time around. I know of this link from which I watched the Golden Globes one month ago: http://www.onlinestreamlive.com/view/8163/E-Entertainment-Live-Online-Stream-watch-online.html and http://www.onlinestreamlive.com. Please post other links as well.
  • THEBond007THEBond007 Banned
    Maybe they'll do a 50 years of Bond tribute at the Oscars?

Good idea But i have a feeling they won't. I hope they win Best song in a movie like they did for the golden globes. I kinda of wished they did get norminated for BEst Picture. I wouldn't car if they won or lost because their are alot of good movies out their, but if they just go recognized for it i would be happy too
    THEBond007 wrote:

Good idea But i have a feeling they won't. I hope they win Best song in a movie like they did for the golden globes. I kinda of wished they did get norminated for BEst Picture. I wouldn't car if they won or lost because their are alot of good movies out their, but if they just go recognized for it i would be happy too

I'm fairly sure they will, at least they're advertising that they're going to on the commercials. I'm wondering what they're going to do. I'm really looking forward to it.

• ultrabox wrote:
    THEBond007 wrote:

I'm fairly sure they will, at least they're advertising that they're going to on the commercials. I'm wondering what they're going to do. I'm really looking forward to it.

I think the theme 'music' is the actual tribute of movie music at the Oscars. The list of artists I just mentioned and the songs they will be singing is proof for that. But certainly not less awesome if you ask me :-). I'm really looking forward to the performances of the four James Bond title themes with huge orchestra supporting the artists.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    They ARE doing a 50 Years of Bond. Any idea when this will show up inthe Oscars..and Best Song? That's all I care about for the show.