SPECTRE: So who's going to play Ernst?

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I just want Michael Shannon as a Bond villain.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Phillip Seymour Hoffmann. That is all.

YES!

He would nail Blofeld, or any villain for that matter. Having seen The Master, I'm convinced Jaoquin Phoenix would nail a villain role; the guys sitting on a lot of intensity. I would love to see him explode at Bond.

Personally, I think it may be an interesting change of direction if John Hawkes took the part. He has this weird scrawny creepy vibe. But the dream is that Daniel Day-Lewis will eventually cut loose and have some fun and b e in a big budget film, personally I can't see it happen but if there was ever going to be a franchise to lure him it would be Bond. He said once during the promo for Jack and Rose that he would love to play Bond someday when an interviewer asked. I'll try dig it up.

Who knows how committed Daniel would get, knowing him. I mean, if he was playing an MI6 agent he would apply for the intelligence service and spend a year or two getting the proper real life experience, and if he was playing a villain Fleming knows how he would find inspiration there. :))

A great comment was made about him being in the future Star Wars films and it went something like:

"If Daniel was going to be a part of the new Star Wars films he would train for years to be a jedi and at that point he wouldn't even want to be in the film because HE'D BE A JEDI!"

Of all the actors mentioned, I think Daniel Day Lewis is the one I'd like to see most in the role, because I think unlike most of the ones mentioned, he could disappear into the character. If he reads the three novels with Blofeld in it, he could pull out a great performance that would make us forget the spoofed version.

Ralph Fiennes was often rumoured for the role, and I am glad he is now M, because playing Blofeld would have been too predictable.

Maybe it would have been a tad predictable, but Ralph's Voldemort makeup without the nose slits would be a chilling portrayal.

True, bue he is already Voldemort. And now, of course M, and I never thought I would say this when I thought he was going to play a villain, but I think M is more fitting. And he will be M for a while, given his age. One question I am often asking myself: if they do have Blofeld, will they make a Blofeld akin to Fiennes's villains in other movies? Since Blofeld is M's opposite number...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Ludovico wrote:
    Since Blofeld is M's opposite number...

What do you mean by "opposite number?"
    Ludovico wrote:
    Since Blofeld is M's opposite number...

What do you mean by "opposite number?"

I mean he has the same position, in his organisation, i.e. SPECTRE, as M has in MI6. M says that much in the novel Thunderball. I think it is a possiblity, should they use Blofeld again, that he will be akin to Ralph Fiennes's Malory. Same age, similar background maybe, etc.
  • I really have a gut feeling Blofeld will be back in Bond 24.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I really have a gut feeling Blofeld will be back in Bond 24.

I blooming well hope not. Of all the things to do, that better not be the best Logan and co. can come up with.
  • DB5DB5
    For the life of me I can't understand this obsession some people on this site have with bringing back this character. To begin with, he only appears in three of Fleming's twelve Bond novels, and in the first one, "Thunderball," only briefly. More importantly, didn't Bond smash him and his minisub into the command center on the oil rig in DAF? And if THAT didn't kill him, didn't Bond drop him down a chimney in the PTS of FYEO? If we're going to bring Blofeld back, why not bring back Dr. No and Goldfinger while we're at it? I'm sure the writers can come up with a new villain for Bond 24 without resurrecting someone from the ghosts of Bond movies past!
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 72
    I'm favourable to a Blofeld return, as long he is closer to Fleming's carachter, where he was a meancing villian. But if he doesn't return, I'm not going to be annoyed with it.
  • Stephen Graham. Perfect.
  • Must say, some of these posts got me thinking they should just cast Ciaran Hinds as a Bond villain anyway. Doesn't have to be Blofeld.
    DB5 wrote:
    For the life of me I can't understand this obsession some people on this site have with bringing back this character. To begin with, he only appears in three of Fleming's twelve Bond novels, and in the first one, "Thunderball," only briefly. More importantly, didn't Bond smash him and his minisub into the command center on the oil rig in DAF? And if THAT didn't kill him, didn't Bond drop him down a chimney in the PTS of FYEO? If we're going to bring Blofeld back, why not bring back Dr. No and Goldfinger while we're at it? I'm sure the writers can come up with a new villain for Bond 24 without resurrecting someone from the ghosts of Bond movies past!

That was the old continuity, the series has been rebooted. And you are talking about the Blofeld that has been spoofed to death. THAT is exactly why some people like me want him back: because he ended up very poorly developed in the movies. Yes, he appeared only late in Fleming's novels. He still became Bond's archenemesis: he after all appeared in more than one novel AND happened to murder Bond's wife.
    thelion wrote:
    I'm favourable to a Blofeld return, as long he is closer to Fleming's carachter, where he was a meancing villian. But if he doesn't return, I'm not going to be annoyed with it.
    That is the only way I think the character is viable: based closely on the novels character.
    Must say, some of these posts got me thinking they should just cast Ciaran Hinds as a Bond villain anyway. Doesn't have to be Blofeld.

He might be too old now sadly. But I always pictured Ciaran Hinds as the TB Blofeld, or General Gruboizaboischikov (spelling?).

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    If we are talking actors for Blofeld and in the same ball park as Eccleston why not Tosker himself? Mark Strong of course, he carries an incredible intensity and is no slouch at villains

If they are going to go down the Ernst route I think he's in with a shout, he is bald as well if people want that kind of thing but I was thinking more about his talent as an actor and him and DC are great friends, could lead to some electrifying chemistry on screen.

I'm not against the idea so much any more, the Joker is a great example where an iconic well known character can be reinterpreted for our times, I know there was a lot of talk about Bardem & Dench stealing the film but for me it was always Craig's and no one upstaged him, the film rested on his shoulders and not one point did he lose sight of that, it would take a remarkable villain to really steal his lime light but I'd like to see someone try, an electrifying take on Ernst Stavro Blofeld may indeed be an exciting proposition.
    Shardlake wrote:
    If we are talking actors for Blofeld and in the same ball park as Eccleston why not Tosker himself? Mark Strong of course, he carries an incredible intensity and is no slouch at villains

If they are going to go down the Ernst route I think he's in with a shout, he is bald as well if people want that kind of thing but I was thinking more about his talent as an actor and him and DC are great friends, could lead to some electrifying chemistry on screen.

I'm not against the idea so much any more, the Joker is a great example where an iconic well known character can be reinterpreted for our times, I know there was a lot of talk about Bardem & Dench stealing the film but for me it was always Craig's and no one upstaged him, the film rested on his shoulders and not one point did he lose sight of that, it would take a remarkable villain to really steal his lime light but I'd like to see someone try, an electrifying take on Ernst Stavro Blofeld may indeed be an exciting proposition.

I think my reservation with Mark Strong as Blofeld (or a Bond villain in general) is that he plays villains a bit too often. Like if Ralph Fiennes had played Blofeld, as it had been rumoured. And I am not sure I'd like another bald Blofeld (I want him as far as possible from the cinematic versions). That said, if Mark Strong is a friend of Craig that is already a good point, and if they go the route of making him the opposite number of M, then it may work quite well, Mark Strong being about the age of Fiennes.
  • Stephen Graham. Perfect.
    I forgot about Stephen Graham. If you see him in This Is England and Boardwalk Empire, he's got that pure rage thing going on. Instead of the calm aloof villain we can have an all out angry man type. That might be cool. Michael Shannon also would be a good choice, but I don't know as who.
  • Mark Strong is a good choice. Brilliant actor who is really good at playing villians. I've seen him in Our Friends In The North, Sherlock Holmes, Kick Ass, Revolver and Tinkor Tailor.
    Suggestions from a fan of the series Rome: what about Ray Stevenson or Guy Henry (the latter especially). Too British, maybe? Lorcan Cranitch could pull it too, I think, and from a role to another he always showed very different faces, something akin to Blofeld.
  • I'm starting to think their may be no other option than Philip Seymour Hoffman
    Owen+Davian.preview.jpg
    How about a Polish actor, since Blofeld is from Poland? Anybody knows of some who would fit the bill?
  • Ludovico wrote:
    How about a Polish actor, since Blofeld is from Poland? Anybody knows of some who would fit the bill?

Nah, I think they will pick another Oscar-nominated or previous Oscar-winning actor again. This proved very well for 'Skyfall'.
    It is not what they did with CR and QOS though. They went for relatively unknown actors.
    Things changed with Skyfall.
    Samuel001 wrote:

It is one movie. They might go the same casting route, they might not. Or they go midway: a relatively famous actor, without being a star, who has not yet won an Oscar.
  • Ludovico wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

It is one movie. They might go the same casting route, they might not. Or they go midway: a relatively famous actor, without being a star, who has not yet won an Oscar.

Fact is, both Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson have seen what starpower did to 'Skyfall'. Oscar winner or not, as long as the actor is world famous, it'll help market the movie much better.

Just have a look at the main titles for 'Skyfall'! Before 'Skyfall', the first actor/actress to appear after the Bond actor, was the actual actress who played the female leading Bond girl. With 'Skyfall', Barbara and Michael decided that it is important to show the big name of Javier Bardem first after Bond actor Daniel Craig.

That's a marketing choice. Big actors have entered Bond now, because they A) carry important roles and are astonishing with their acting and B) are much better means of marketing/promotion.

Remember how the name of George Lazenby was downscaled on the poster advertisement? It was 'James Bond is BACK', NOT 'George Lazenby IS James Bond 007!'.

Also, if you have read Taschen's 'The James Bond Archives', you would have known that the screenplay, with help of John Logan was tailored around actor Javier Bardem. For expensive, world famous Hollywood names it suddenly becomes more interesting to do a Bond film.

I think many fans still underestimate what 'Skyfall' did to Bond. It is groundbreaking in many ways, especially when it comes to casting choices. So be prepared we will see the same for Bond 24.

• edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Skyfall also had an unknown for one of the Bond girls. Severine didn't end up with much screentime in the end but she was promoted as the female lead and was used heavily to advertise the film.

So I don't see why they couldn't get a villian that isn't a really big name.

I honestly don't give two shits if the actor playing the villian has never won an Oscar or been nominated before. There are some brilliant actors I'd love to see in a Bond film who have never won Oscars.
  • Skyfall also had an unknown for one of the Bond girls. Severine didn't end up with much screentime in the end but she was promoted as the female lead and was used heavily to advertise the film.

I honestly don't give two shits if the actor playing the villian has never won an Oscar or been nominated before. There are some brilliant actors I'd love to see in a Bond film who have never won Oscars.

Same for me to be honest. Mads Mikkelsen IMO as as high quality actor as Javier Bardem, and he doesn't have the starpower that Javier Bardem has. Still, I have a gut feeling the Bond producers would like to go again for a more well-known actor. 'Skyfall' paid off, so why change casting policy?
    Skyfall also had an unknown for one of the Bond girls. Severine didn't end up with much screentime in the end but she was promoted as the female lead and was used heavily to advertise the film.

That is what I was going to say.

Same for me to be honest. Mads Mikkelsen IMO as as high quality actor as Javier Bardem, and he doesn't have the starpower that Javier Bardem has. Still, I have a gut feeling the Bond producers would like to go again for a more well-known actor. 'Skyfall' paid off, so why change casting policy?

Here is what I think: they will choose a veteran actor about the generation (and maybe notoriety) of Ralph Fiennes. And they will go against stereotype: no scar, no bald guy.
    Well last time Mendes wanted Simon Russell Beale and Kevin Spacey but they couldn't take part due to the timing. Maybe this time...
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 14,799
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Well last time Mendes wanted Simon Russell Beale and Kevin Spacey but they couldn't take part due to the timing. Maybe this time...

Not sure how true these rumours were. Although I think Beale could make a great TB Blofeld.
    And although he might be getting old, what about Stellan Skarsgard?
    They both commented on not being able to do the film. I'd say they were asked!
  • Ludovico wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Not sure how true these rumours were. Although I think Beale could make a great TB Blofeld.
    And although he might be getting old, what about Stellan Skarsgard?

I like that idea! I think Skarsgard could do a great job as Blofeld. As for Beale I've never seen him in anything else but in the photos I've seen he's just too fat and short, and then Kevin will just be compared to Lex Luther the whole time if he does Blofeld so I'd rather not have him in the role.

As an aside, as people are posting on this thread I assume that you all want to see Blofeld return? Because I certainly do, and the sooner the better. Bond 24 should see Quantum return and it's leader revealed as Blofeld. Others agree?