Skyfall Wins Bond's First Grammy -Make That Two Grammy's

Comments

• edited February 2013 Posts: 11,119
    RC7 wrote:
    I'm not living in a bubble. I'm just a realist, I try to judge things dispassionately. But in this instance, sheer positivity is logical.

Bollocks mate. If you were a realist, you would know that SF's 'Best British Film' BAFTA, is nothing more than a patronising thank you. People have already pointed out the specific reasons why, if you don't understand them, then that's up to you.

There's absolutely no proof for that. I don't read the media complaints. I only judge the outcome. Barbara Brocolli and Michael G. Wilson did not get an honorary BAFTA, like the Brittannia Award won by Cubby in 1989 or the Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award during the 1982 Oscars also won by Cubby.

No, Barbara, Michael and Sam received a BAFTA statue for 'Best British Film'. In my opinion, looking at all raving reviews and the fact it's also a multi-layered espionage thriller then 'just' a Bond film, I think it won deservedly from 'Anna Karenina', 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel', 'Les Misérables' and 'Seven Psychopaths'. As 'Skyfall' officially is a British produced film (EON is a British .Ltd firm), 'Skyfall' is simply better as a British film than the other four nominees.
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2013 Posts: 10,512
    RC7 wrote:
    I'm not living in a bubble. I'm just a realist, I try to judge things dispassionately. But in this instance, sheer positivity is logical.

Bollocks mate. If you were a realist, you would know that SF's 'Best British Film' BAFTA, is nothing more than a patronising thank you. People have already pointed out the specific reasons why, if you don't understand them, then that's up to you.

There's absolutely no proof for that. I don't read the media complaints. I only judge the outcome. Barbara Brocolli and Michael G. Wilson did not get an honorary BAFTA, like the Brittannia Award won by Cubby in 1989 or the Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award during the 1982 Oscars also won by Cubby.

No, Barbara, Michael and Sam received a BAFTA statue for 'Best British Film'. In my opinion, looking at all raving reviews and the fact it's also a multi-layered espionage thriller then 'just' a Bond film, I think it won deservedly from 'Anna Karenina', 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel', 'Les Misérables' and 'Seven Psychopaths'. As 'Skyfall' officially is a British produced film (EON is a British .Ltd firm), 'Skyfall' is simply better as a British film than the other four nominees.

If you don't want to read any of the information provided to you over the previous few pages, then there's not much point in this conversation. I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, I'm just explaining why some people don't care for the British Film BAFTA, and their reasons are objectively more sound, than your subjective hysteria. Honestly, I don't have the time or energy. Do me one favour though, please stop using the line 'multi-layered, espionage thriller' - it's like you've got your own spin doctor who's deemed this your party catchphrase.

• RC7 wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

If you don't want to read any of the information provided to you over the previous few pages, then there's not much point in this conversation. I'm not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, I'm just explaining why some people don't care for the British Film BAFTA, and their reasons are objectively more sound, than your subjective hysteria. Honestly, I don't have the time or energy. Do me one favour though, please stop using the line 'multi-layered, espionage thriller' - it's like you've got your own spin doctor who's deemed this your party catchphrase.

Hey @RC7? I'm certainly not here offending you. I respect your arguments. But maybe it's just better to agree on disagreeing each other. I think there's a truth in both our arguments eventually.

What I don't like to hear, is the fact that I'm talking 'subjective hysteria' or that I live in a 'bubble'. It's unnecessary and I have never said bad things about you personally. I always mentioned my disagreements about opinions in general.

Anyway, I think it's nice we get such lively discussions. Part of that happens because of the enormous success of 'Skyfall' :-).
  • RC7RC7
    What I don't like to hear, is the fact that I'm talking 'subjective hysteria' or that I live in a 'bubble'. It's unnecessary and I have never said bad things about you personally.

I wouldn't take it too much to heart, it's just my opinion, and it's not offensive. I do think you're trapped in a bubble of hysteria. I rarely see any rational comments from you.

RC7 wrote:
    What I don't like to hear, is the fact that I'm talking 'subjective hysteria' or that I live in a 'bubble'. It's unnecessary and I have never said bad things about you personally.

I wouldn't take it too much to heart, it's just my opinion, and it's not offensive. I do think you're trapped in a bubble of hysteria. I rarely see any rational comments from you.

How about a bubble of "wrong sided realism" on your side? Too often it happens here, that REALISM is the dress up for trying to make other people opinions look ridiculous. We all have our own realism, right? And even though I admitted to not see a reason to be overwhelmed with the best british award, there is no reason to slap it of, if others are happy about it.

• RC7RC7
    Germanlady wrote:
    RC7 wrote:

How about a bubble of "wrong sided realism" on your side? Too often it happens here, that REALISM is the dress up for trying to make other people opinions look ridiculous. We all have our own realism, right? And even though I admitted to not see a reason to be overwhelmed with the best british award, there is no reason to slap it of, if others are happy about it.

I'm not, GG was having a pop at people being ungrateful. I was merely implying there was nothing to be grateful for. What the hell is 'wrong sided realism'? Actually, don't bother answering that, I'm not sure I can take another incoherent explanation. I shall retire to other threads.
  • I'm....sorry. Wrong-sided realism is the right word to describe it. Sorry...
  • RC7RC7
    edited February 2013 Posts: 10,512
    I'm....sorry. Wrong-sided realism is the right word to describe it. Sorry...

I have never heard that phrase in my life. Why? Because it doesn't exist. I know for both of you, English isn't your first language, but you can't start rolling out phrases that have absolutely zero meaning, without explanation.
  • RC7 wrote:
    I'm....sorry. Wrong-sided realism is the right word to describe it. Sorry...

I have never heard that phrase in my life. Why? Because it doesn't exist. I know for both of you, English isn't your first language, but you can't start rolling out phrases that have absolutely zero meaning, without explanation.

I just wanted to apoligize for my behaviour. I do agree with you guys.....
  • It's good SF won awards but you have to question if SF is even a British film in the first place. I think that they just shoved it in there because they didn't nominate it for Best Picture.

And as I said, I didn't think Newman deserved it.

I think Bardem should have won supporting actor. Love Waltz but I thought Jackson and Dicaprio gave the best performances in Django Unchained and although I preferred Django as a film none of them topped Bardem in SF.
    Thelivingroyale and Rc7 once again trying to take the shine away i see.

Great to see the film beed lauded and given the awards. Who would have thought a Bond film scooping awards in award season. Bond hasn't never been this respected.

• lahaine wrote:

Great to see the film beed lauded and given the awards. Who would have thought a Bond film scooping awards in award season. Bond hasn't never been this respected.

Hail hail :-). And for you: http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/cinematographer-awards-2013-asc-winners-list/
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    lahaine wrote:

The only shine theyre taking away is that of SFs iron pyrite (one for budding Professor Dents amongst you there) BAFTA award.
    As 'Skyfall' officially is a British produced film (EON is a British .Ltd firm)

So if EON were registered in the Cayman Islands and they picked up a golden Cayman for Best Cayman Film would people be claiming that its a prestigious award?

Anyway even better news the awards just keep on flowing; SF has just scooped a Wizzie from The Wizardofice Academy for Achievement in Film in the 'Best Film of a 50 year old Franchise made with American money but by a British company' category. Rejoice, rejoice for surely this is another well earned win in a prestigious category and most definitely not a patronising pat on the back.

In all seriousness though well done to Thomas Newman for his BAFTA win and well done to Deakins for his ASC win which certainly bodes well for the Oscars.

And well done to SF and EON for all the awards it picked up but not the BAFTA for what at best could be labelled 6th best picture.

• edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    lahaine wrote:
    Thelivingroyale and Rc7 once again trying to take the shine away i see

I know you get annoyed when people disagree with you so I'll just tell you what you want to hear.

Best British Film is the greatest award of all time. Anybody who doesn't think so is clearly a troll trying to take the shine away. It's not something they just gave the film because it didn't make the best picture nominees and Skyfall is 100% British so is definetly eligable. Daniel Craig is the greatest actor to ever walk the earth. It's a crime that he wasn't nominated for best actor.

Happy now? Good, so piss off.
    Now that's a rather unfriendly thing to say, royale. Lets turn it around saying, that some here only like it negative and can't stand the liking. I see no difference.

The film almost ended his run and its still a war zone here. Maybe THIS is something to think about.

• edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Germanlady wrote:
    some here only like it negative and can't stand the liking. I see no difference.

I've praised SF plenty. Read my review in the review thread where I gave it 8 or 9 out of 10 and called it the best since GE. Read my comments about how Craig was brilliant, about how Bardem was the best villian since Sanchez, about how Severine was great, about how the PTS was one of the best, about how I liked M much more than the last two, about how I enjoyed the new Q and Mallory, about how the film was funny, etc.

I've been very positive about SF. I really liked it and I can't wait for the DVD. But I've also defended people with a negative view on it, I've been open to criticism of the film and I've pointed out what I think are flaws (like the score). I've pointed out that the Best British Film Bafta is a patronising well done and that Skyfall doesn't even fit into that category.

I don't think the film is perfect and I don't think the Best British Film Bafta means all that much. So of course I just go around full of negativity.
    Germanlady wrote:
    The film almost ended his run and its still a war zone here.

All I did was give my opinion on the awards. Lahaine was the one who jumped in and accused me of trying to take the shine away. I don't go around looking for arguments.

But you are right. I think people on every side should calm down and think about this.

• In all seriousness though well done to Thomas Newman for his BAFTA win and well done to Deakins for his ASC win which certainly bodes well for the Oscars.

I hadn't realized he has 10 nominations without a win. The longest streak by any living cinematographer.

• coolbyrne wrote:

In all seriousness though well done to Thomas Newman for his BAFTA win and well done to Deakins for his ASC win which certainly bodes well for the Oscars.

I hadn't realized he has 10 nominations without a win. The longest streak by any living cinematographer.

Yes. Its an OSCAR crime that Roger Deakins has never won an Academy Award!...after 10 nominations...Then there is sound re-recording mixer Greg Russel who has been nominated 16 times without a win! and this year he is nominated for his work on SKYFALL. There is a really good interview with him where he describes his work on SKYFALL. Imagine 16 trips to the OSCARS without a win!...

coolbyrne wrote:

Yes. Its an OSCAR crime that Roger Deakins has never won an Academy Award!...after 10 nominations...Then there is sound re-recording mixer Greg Russel who has been nominated 16 times without a win! and this year he is nominated for his work on SKYFALL. There is a really good interview with him where he describes his work on SKYFALL. Imagine 16 trips to the OSCARS without a win!...

Along with Thomas Newman this bodes very well considering the Oscars habit of eventually rewarding those who try, try again.

I'm a lot more confident about Deakins than I was after the BAFTAs now that he has the ASC and if Greg Russell doesn't get one this time round he must start thinking he's universally loathed by his peers - same goes for Newman.

If these three bring home the bacon along with Adele you can frankly shove your best British Picture BAFTA up your arse.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 11,119
    coolbyrne wrote:

Including 'Skyfall', Stuart Wilson has been nominated 2 times for an Academy Award
    Including 'Skyfall', Roger Deakins has been nominated 10 times for an Academy Award.
    Including 'Skyfall', Thomas Newman has been nominated 11 times for an Academy Award.
    Including 'Skyfall', Greg Russell has been nominated 16 times for an Academy Award.

Stuart Wilson and Greg Russell worked together with Scott Millan as sound mixers on 'Skyfall'. Allthough Scott already won 4 Oscars, I do think as a team Greg, Stuart and Scott deserve the Oscar for 'Best Achievement in Sound Mixing'. Greg and Stuart never won a statue. And I think especially Greg deserves it now. Come on...16 nominations and no win?

The Swede Per Hallberg and Karen M. Baker usually team up together as sound editors. They worked together on 'The Bourne Ultimatum and for that movie they got their Oscar in 'Best Achievement in Sound Editing'. For Per it was his second win after 'Braveheart'. So I don't know if the sound technicians who are juror in this category will award Per and Karen with another Oscar.

Roger Deakins was nominated 9 times in total, with 'Skyfall' 10 times. Considering how he introduced digital camera equipment in 'Skyfall', I think his groundbreaking efforts in 'Best Cinematography' could be severe competition for Claudio Miranda. Do not forget Deakins is well known and respected within the ASC and BSC. Most Oscar jurors in this category are member of the ASC and BSC and I do think they want to make up with all his 9 previous losses. Claudio Miranda still has a long career in front of him to prove himself. Pundits say Claudio is at 95% of winning an Oscar, but I really think it's a 50%/50% battle.

Thomas Newman then. Damn, he has got some bad luck at the Oscars. Actually, I think he already should have won an Oscar for 'Best Original Score' for his groundbreaking melancholical soundtrack for 'American Beauty'. Maybe that's why he got a bit 'stuck' in his melancholical way of composing. 'Skyfall', in my opinion, put Thomas Newman on the map as an action composer as well. Something that we haven't seen before. The combination of Barry-esque lush strings with new electronic percussions is something I haven't heard before from Thomas. 10 times nominated? the 11th time could perhaps do it.
    Including 'Skyfall', Roger Deakins has been nominated 10 times for an Academy Award.
    Including 'Skyfall', Thomas Newman has been nominated 11 times for an Academy Award.

And so far, both Roger and Thomas have never won a golden Oscar statue. The recent BAFTA and ASC Award victories for Thomas and Roger could give them an extra boost at the Oscars.

I hope that Both will win on merit and not on a sympathy vote due to the amounts of time they missed the prize.

• SaintMark wrote:

And so far, both Roger and Thomas have never won a golden Oscar statue. The recent BAFTA and ASC Award victories for Thomas and Roger could give them an extra boost at the Oscars.

I hope that Both will win on merit and not on a sympathy vote due to the amounts of time they missed the prize.

The jurors will decide eventually decide off course. But given the groundbreaking work Thomas and Roger did for 'Skyfall', I truly believe they deserve an Oscar. Adding it up to an almost certain win for Adele in the category 'Best Original Song', this would mean 3 Oscar wins.
  • RC7RC7
    But given the groundbreaking work Thomas and Roger did for 'Skyfall', I truly believe they deserve an Oscar.

How do you define groundbreaking?

In the context of a Bond film, I can see the arguments for Deakins. I'm still torn between Meheux's work in CR and Deakins in SF, but at a push I would argue it raises the game, for a Bond film. As for Newman, I'm actually one of the few who like the score, but what new ground does it break? If anything Serra is the only one who broke new ground - He was the most experimental of the lot.

In terms of cinema as a whole though, can you honestly say that what they acheived pushed their respective medium in a new and innovative direction?

• Germanlady wrote:

Thanks for this insightful article. This doesn't bode well for a first Oscar for Roger Deakins. In my opinion 'Best Cinematography' should be judged technically, on how groundbreaking the actual cinematographer works (what kind of equipment etc.).

If the overall 'visual impact' is the deciding force in this category, then I am disappointed. And yes, then Claudio Miranda will win the Oscar for 'Best Cinematography'. But undeserved IMO, as there are other categories for this.

Let's hope the Oscar-jurors take an example of how the ASC-jurors are voting....
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 6,601
    Not having much technical knowledge, it never occured to me to differ between Pi, of which I said, was visually beautiful, as being more CGI and hence not REALLY Cinematographie. Too bad, they seem to mix those two.
    Germanlady wrote:

So they are saying that people in the business just look at what is the most visually arresting film and vote on that?

Might as well let the public vote then FFS!

This is the definition of cinematography I have just looked up : the art or science of motion-picture photography.

Key word there 'photography'. That in my book is the use of camera, lighting and composition to capture what the director intends.

It does not include a ton of elements created by computer. Those are visual effects for which there is a spearate oscar.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Nobody can bring a film's visuals to life like Deakins. All his films enchant my eyes. I think back to seeing the remake of True Grit a few years ago (great film, better than the original in my eyes), and I swear in one scene it looked like the snow was falling right in front of my eyes because it popped off the screen so beautifully. We really lucked out with getting him for Skyfall, where every frame is a brilliantly lit and toned image, and the film wouldn't be as great without him. Cinematography can make or break a film at times, and Deakins really gave 007 a leg up.
    So Pi and SF shouldn't be in the same category. Seems unfair now.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Germanlady wrote:
    So Pi and SF shouldn't be in the same category. Seems unfair now.
    What? Who said that? I was just kissing the feet of Mr. Deakins, nothing more...