Your favourite fictional character (except Bond)

edited September 2013 in General Movies & TV Posts: 12,837
I couldn't find a thread and thought it's something that could be fun discussing. I think we'd all pick Bond so lets say that's not allowed.

Mine is Rocky.

EDIT: Changed the thread a bit to give it a bit more life. Doesn't have to be a hero and doesn't have to be from a film.

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    James Tiberious Kirk.
  • I don't watch many movies now, but seen enough over the years in terms of what we could call a favorite film hero, but damned if I know who would be #1 other than Bond

Indiana Jones was one of the first names that came to mind, saw them all on release, and then you have Rocky Bilbao as mentioned. John McClane would be another, but there's no standout name with this. Schwarzenegger could be included, but I was thinking merely in terms of franchises for this, rather than standalone films, although of course he did do the three Terminator movies. I'll say Indiana Jones as it's the first thing that came to mind. They were pure, adrenaline filled fun releases, and the early ones were hard to beat
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Indy would be my second choice. Then Malcolm Reynolds.
    But Kirk is my first choice.
  • Captain James T Kirk
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    He's not a film hero, but Solid Snake. The closest film character I can pick is Barney Ross.
  • I'm a fan of the Star Trek (original series), not too happy about what they're doing to the franchise in recent years, and saw all the releases with the original cast from 79-91, and while Khan (Ricardo Montalban) wasn't a hero so to speak, I always found myself rooting for him over Shatner whenever I saw it. Wrath of Khan is the best of the releases. I didn't include Star Trek as I didn't have Shatner as a film hero, but reading some previous replies, had to give Khan a mention. An opponent or figure, you can almost root for. You do feel some sympathy at the end when all his plans go to pieces

I was also thinking about Kurt Russell in Escape From New York and the sequel with it, while we were at it. Maybe even Clint Eastwood in the Dollars Trilogy. "The man with no name"
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 129
    I'd say Ethan Hunt because of the films, but more so Jim Phelps in the original TV series. (Mission Impossible was my favourite series when growing up).

PS - James T is always going to be up there!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited December 2012 Posts: 16,328
    Hmmmm this is a tough on so I'll make a top 5.

1) James T. Kirk (Star Trek)
    2) Han Solo (Star Wars)
    3) Bruce Wayne/Batman (Batman Franchise)
    4) Ethan Hunt (Mission Impossible Series)
    5) John McClane (Die Hard Series)

Edit: Changed number 5.
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    Batman
    Luke Skywaker
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Since most of these seem to be from franchises/series, I'm going to go with something different and say John Creasy from 'Man on Fire.' His dedication to Pita Ramos throughout the film is astounding, and Washington plays the role flawlessly. One of my favorite films.
  • Creasy47 wrote:
    Since most of these seem to be from franchises/series, I'm going to go with something different and say John Creasy from 'Man on Fire.' His dedication to Pita Ramos throughout the film is astounding, and Washington plays the role flawlessly. One of my favorite films.

Recently bought man on fire on bluray, awesome movie.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 40,372
    @fire_and_ice, yes it is, from start to finish. I love that Max Zorin and Rene Mathis play some big roles in it, too :)

In terms of series, I think Batman, Sherlock Holmes, Ethan Hunt, and John McClane are among my favorites.

Another favorite in a single film is Russell's RJ MacReady in Carpenter's 'The Thing.' He keeps a cool head - and a kickass beard - while trying to single out an alien. I love it.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Recently bought man on fire on bluray, awesome movie.

That film is awesome, it always moves me despite being ultra violent, it's the whole idea of redemption for previous acts through protecting/avenging an innocent child, brilliant.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2012 Posts: 12,459
    Ah! for me: (film heroes only, although Brett as Holmes is till my fav)

1) Aragorn (Lord of the Rings) definitely.

2) Sherlock Holmes (yes, to me he is a hero).

3) Indiana Jones

4) Rick (Bogey in Casablanca)

And I could pick more from classic old films, I'll just have to think of them.

• @Creasy47 @SpectreNumberOne

Man on fire possibly the late tony Scott and denzil washingtons best movie. Its heavy and you can't help be emotionally dragged into to film.

Other heroes would include...

Indy, Raiders of the lost ark one of the greatest action movies of all time IMO.

This choice more of a anti hero, Humphrey Bogart as Philip Marlowe in The Big Sleep.

Arnie in Conan the barbarian.

From tv Richard dean Anderson as Jack O'neal in Stargate.

Stallone as Rocky and Rambo (First blood and Rambo)

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Just a few:

Batman, Sherlock, Rick Blaine, Spiderman, William Kane (High Noon), Atticus Finch, etc.
  • How about an anti-hero I'm talking Harry Palmer aka Michael Caine in the adaptation of Len Deighton's novels, these movies especially "The Ipcress File" are SO ULTRA COOL.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Can't forget Rorschach from Watchmen.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    LOVE Michael Caine. In darn near anything.
    And Gregory Peck as Atticus, yes!

For a great anti hero badass role from Michael, see Harry Brown. What an astoundingly dark role, but played so impeccably. And how can you hate Atticus? The best dad in cinema. ;)
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 562
    - Captain James T. Kirk
    - Batman
    - Tony Stark
    - Sherlock Holmes
  • Rambo is another great one. Love those films, well, the first three (I can take or leave the 4th film). I prefer Rocky though.

Another favourite of mine is Mad Max, who I think one of the all time great characters. As well as being a badass Australian post apocalyptic cop turned drifter, it's also really cool seeing him change as a character over the 3 movies.

For a great anti hero badass role from Michael, see Harry Brown. What an astoundingly dark role, but played so impeccably. And how can you hate Atticus? The best dad in cinema. ;)

Yes a lot in the UK identified Harry Brown as Harry Palmer groan old.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Comic book superheroes:

1) Batman
    2) Captain America
    3) Iron Man
    4) Judge Dredd
    5) Wolverine

Cop / Action films:

1) John McLane
    2) Dirty Harry
    3) John Shaft
    4) John Rambo
    5) Axel Foley

Sci-Fi / Fantasy / Horror:

1) Indiana Jones
    2) Han Solo
    3) Abraham Van Helsing
    4) James T. Kirk
    5) The Road Warrior

Heroines:

1) Lt. Ellen Ripley
    2) Sarah Connor
    3) Catwoman
    4) Alice (Resident Evil series)
    5) Lara Croft

Video game heroes:

1) Max Payne
    2) Duke Nukem
    3) Marine (Doom series)
    4) Point Man (FEAR series)
    5) Sam Fisher
  • Rambo is another great one. Love those films, well, the first three (I can take or leave the 4th film). I prefer Rocky though.

Another favourite of mine is Mad Max, who I think one of the all time great characters. As well as being a badass Australian post apocalyptic cop turned drifter, it's also really cool seeing him change as a character over the 3 movies.

There's some who think Mad Max's world is still the viable possibility? 8-X
  • LOVE Michael Caine. In darn near anything.

Yes a lot in the UK identified Harry Brown as Harry Palmer groan old.

That actually is a pretty cool theory. I should try watching The Ipcress File and Harry Brown back to back.
    Rambo is another great one. Love those films, well, the first three (I can take or leave the 4th film). I prefer Rocky though.

There's some who think Mad Max's world is still the viable possibility? 8-X

Even if the apocalypse does someday happen I doubt it would involve cool vehicles, evil biker gangs and a Thunderdome ;)
    George Smiley
  • How about an anti-hero I'm talking Harry Palmer aka Michael Caine in the adaptation of Len Deighton's novels, these movies especially "The Ipcress File" are SO ULTRA COOL.

Ipcress file a great movie, did you ever see the two later Palmer movies? One was called Bullet to Beijing i forget the title of the other. If memory serves me correctly, Jason Connery appeared in one of them.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Indiana Jones or maybe John McClane would be top of my list. The Doctor isn't from film but I'd pick him too If I could!