Your favourite fictional character (except Bond)

Comments

• QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    There are so many! I'll go off of my list for "Who would you want on your side in a bar fight".

1. Conan (Conan The Barbarian series - Arnold)
    2. Ethan Hunt (Mission: Impossible series)
    3. Tallahassee (Zombieland)
    4. John McClain (Die Hard series)
    5. Riddick (The Chronicles of Riddick series)
  • Changed the thread, doesn't have to be a film character and doesn't have to be a hero.

Jim Royle is one of my favourite characters of all time.

And so is Freddy Krueger.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I plan on devoting my entire life to enjoying, analyzing and writing about what I call "The Golden Trinity" of characters, consisting of Sherlock Holmes, Bruce Wayne/Batman, and of course, James Bond.

@thelivingroyale, I spent some time yesterday seeing a lot of Freddy, as I was drawing and needed a film on as background. The Sci Fi channel had on a marathon of sorts with the Kreuger films followed by Freddy vs. Jason, which I have liked since childhood.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I think what makes Freddy a great villain is that he doesn't just chase you with a knife (or a chainsaw, or a machete), he traps you in his own little world and you can't escape.

And you can't avoid it. Eventually, you will need sleep. You won't last without it. It's unavoidable, it's a basic human need and even if you manage to stay awake for a while, eventually you'll collapse from exhaustion.

It's the same reason that the Weeping Angels on Doctor Who are thought of as scary. You can't not blink (just like you can't not sleep). And the moment you do, you'll be dead.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I think what makes Freddy a great villain is that he doesn't just chase you with a knife (or a chainsaw, or a machete), he traps you in his own little world and you can't escape.

And you can't avoid it. Eventually, you will need sleep. You won't last without it. It's unavoidable, it's a basic human need and even if you manage to stay awake for a while, eventually you'll collapse from exhaustion.

It's the same reason that the Weeping Angels on Doctor Who are thought of as scary. You can't not blink (just like you can't not sleep). And the moment you do, you'll be dead.

Yes, while he isn't my favorite Freddy is probably the most well crafted Horror film "villain" I can think of. Michael Myers is my #1, but he lacks the great points you make, because Freddy is like you said, unescapable at the end of the day. It took Michael a long time to find Laurie Strode again (pre-H2O), so he is easily more escapable compared to Freddy.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    10 in no partictular order.

1. Paul Kersey (Death Wish Series) Architect/Vigilante.
    2. James T. Kirk (Star Trek Series) Starship Captain.
    3. Hawkeye Pierce (M*A*S*H) Field Surgeon.
    4. Emmett Brown (Back To The Future) Scientist/Inventor of Time Travel.
    5. Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark Series) Spy.
    6. John McClane (Die Hard Series) Police Officer.
    7. Elasti-girl (The Incredibles) Superhero.
    8. Leon (The Professional) Assassin.
    9. Laura Holt (Remington Steele) Private Detective.
    10. Wayne Szalinski (Honey, I Shrunk The Kids Series) Wacky Inventor.
    Anthony Soprano (The Sopranos) Waste Management Consultant
    Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars) Jedi knight
    Michael Corleone (The Godfather) businessman
    Maximus Decimus Meridius (Gladiator) Roman general
  • edited February 2014 Posts: 12,837

• edited September 2013 Posts: 6,396
    Tony Soprano
    Omar Little
    Alan Partridge
    Lt. Columbo
    Omar Little, Michael Corleone, Hamlet, and Solid Snake. Four characters from four different mediums.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited September 2013 Posts: 7,314
    Alex (A Clockwork Orange)
    Luke Skywalker
    Indiana Jones
    Jean Luc Picard
    John Clark (Tom Clancy's best character imo)
    Roland Deschain (The Dark Tower)
    Snake Eyes (comics only)
    Spock
  • retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    Claire Beauchamp Randall Fraser
    Jean Luc Picard
    Dorian Gray
    Rick Blaine
    retrokitty wrote:
    Claire Beauchamp Randall Fraser
    Jean Luc Picard
    Dorian Gray
    Rick Blaine

Very nice! =D>

Always bet on Bogie! B-)
    Sherlock Holmes for me!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited September 2013 Posts: 17,809
    Lieutenant Columbo
    Alan Partridge
    Simon Templar/The Saint
    Sherlock Holmes
    Indiana Jones
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Sherlock Holmes, Adrian Mole, Indiana Jones, Bilbo Baggins and Samwise Gamgee (favourite characters of The Hobbit and LOTR, respectively) and last but definitely not least Jane Eyre (“I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will respect myself.” What a character).
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I already mentioned some of mine; I want to add Watson - a great character in his own right, loyal friend, brave, ready for adventure and a heart of gold.
    Also: Jack Reacher, Atticus Finch, and Simon Templar.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited September 2013 Posts: 17,691
    Well, if we're making lists, I'll add:
    John Drake (Prisoner version as well)
    Snake Plissken
    Superman (Reeve version)
    Apollo from TOS Galactica
    Captain Janeway
    Ellen Ripley
    Remington Steele
    Indy
    Cornelius/Caesar/Galen (all the same really)
    Buffy Summers
    Jack Ryan
    Spock
    Max Rockatansky
  • retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    Ooh... I forgot. Don't know how I forgot this one...

Dr. Frank N. Furter
    Simon Templar aka the Saint
    Lamont Cranston aka the Shadow
    the Doctor
    Tony Soprano
    Omar Little
    Alan Partridge
    Lt. Columbo

Great! Another Columbo fan on the boards! What's your favourite episode, @WillyGalore? Mine is the early one 'Death Lends A Hand' with Robert Culp.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 6,396
    Another Robert Culp episode - Double Exposure. Brilliant. I also like all three episodes featuring Jack Cassidy.

Columbo is just one of the greatest TV shows ever made. And to the late Peter Falk - ^:)^
    Another Robert Culp episode - Double Exposure. Brilliant. I also like all three episodes featuring Jack Cassidy.

Columbo is just one of the greatest TV shows ever made. And to the late Peter Falk - ^:)^

Yes, another great one for sure. I love Culp and Cassidy too. I have every episode on DVD. It's a very intellectual kind of detective show - like a mental chess contest between the killer and the great Peter Falk as Columbo. Louis Jourdan is great in 'Murder Under Glass', too.
  • Yes me too although I'm not fond of the later episodes they did, mainly from Season 9 onwards. A couple of the later epsiodes never felt like Columbo because the format was changed.
    Yes me too although I'm not fond of the later episodes they did, mainly from Season 9 onwards. A couple of the later epsiodes never felt like Columbo because the format was changed.

Yes, the Columbo character himself changed - he became sarcastic and ponderous. This continued into the 1990s/2000s episodes where "goofy Columbo" reared its ugly head. The last episode from 2003, 'Columbo Likes the Nightlife' is a corker, though and a return to form.
  • Columbo: Undercover is without doubt the worst of the series and an abomination of what had gone before.
    Columbo: Undercover is without doubt the worst of the series and an abomination of what had gone before.

Yes, indeed. it was based on an Ed McBain novel, as was the equally uncharacteristic No Time to Die, which is at least decent even though there is no murder! Murder in Malibu has to be the worst for me - awful lead actor and it makes no sense whatsoever!
  • Yes, I find it better to stick to the classic 70's episodes for a proper Columbo fix :-)
    Yes, I find it better to stick to the classic 70's episodes for a proper Columbo fix :-)

Indeed. The original 45 were most excellent!