Are you happy to see the DB5 return in B25?

Comments

• It was fun, but I'd be lying if if I didn't acknowledge I was more pleased to see it get shot to pieces.
  • RC7RC7
    It was fun, but I'd be lying if if I didn't acknowledge I was more pleased to see it get shot to pieces.

Ditto. Let's create some new icons.
    I think it would have been nice if Craig had been keeping his beaten up Aston from QoS in the garage. Q branch could have written it off and let him keep it. He could have had someone working on it to get if fixed.
  • RC7RC7
    Getafix wrote:
    I think it would have been nice if Craig had been keeping his beaten up Aston from QoS in the garage. Q branch could have written it off and let him keep it. He could have had someone working on it to get if fixed.

Great idea.
    RC7 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Great idea.

Anything would have been better than flogging the DB5 again. They've killed it's iconic status by bringing it back so much.

We desperately need a new car in the next film. Jag, Lotus, Bently, Aston. I don't mind.
    Just not an Evoque...
  • The Aston Martin was used once in the books, in Goldfinger, and for a particular purpose. It wasn't the car Bond preferred driving; it was the one he was using as part of a particular cover. Hollywood's fixation on that particular car being associated with that character, to me, got in the way of the franchise more than it helped the franchise.
    I like Bond's Aston in GF, OHMSS and TLD in particular. Each car is of its time and gives the films a cool contemporary feel.

The constant re-use of the DB5 gives the films a sense of always looking over their shoulder. It's one of the reasons I enjoyed QoS - it's unashamedly contemporary and of its moment. Unlike SF.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 803
    Getafix wrote:
    The constant re-use of the DB5 gives the films a sense of always looking over their shoulder. It's one of the reasons I enjoyed QoS - it's unashamedly contemporary and of its moment. Unlike SF.
    See, one of the things I truly enjoyed about Skyfall was its willingness to acknowledge that contemporary doesn't always translate to "better". One of the best exchanges in the film, for me, was inside of Bond's discussion with Q:

Q: Age is no guarantee of efficiency.
    James Bond: And youth is no guarantee of innovation.

personally it was a bit predictable, if they had unveiled a different car from Bond's past and not the one you expect it would have been brilliant, if the Lotus had made an appearance it would have made me smile but hey it's only a car and it was a decent little scene.
    I would have liked to see the Toyota (?) from YOLT.
  • AliAli
    edited December 2012 Posts: 319
    It was nice as a nod to Goldfinger, but it was completely wrong in terms of timeline. And it stretched all forms of credibility to imply a DB5 could drive from London to the Highlands without AA Assistance ;-)
    I'd be very suprised if dear old Judy would have survived so a long and painful journey!
  • I'd be very suprised if dear old Judy would have survived so a long and painful journey!
    The Great Dame is quite a bit tougher than I imagine you're giving her credit for here.

I'd be very suprised if dear old Judy would have survived so a long and painful journey!
    The Great Dame is quite a bit tougher than I imagine you're giving her credit for here.

For a second there I thought you had called her a Great Dane.
  • For a second there I thought you had called her a Great Dane.
    I'd never do that. To paraphrase, I'm not sure I could survive her best.

Well, she didn't, did she!?
    I was pleased to see it back, not sure about doing the whole ejector seat gag? Although it did make me laugh.
  • RogueAgent wrote:
    I was pleased to see it back, not sure about doing the whole ejector seat gag? Although it did make me laugh.
    Then I suspect the scene did what it was designed to do. :)

• Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    The Aston Martin DB5 made a great appearance in SF but I'd rather see the DBS come back, it's the perfect car for Craig's era.
    I was happy until they blew it to bits
  • RC7RC7
    oorogers wrote:
    I was happy until they blew it to bits

:D
    Fortunately it was only a model. A very nice model though. They would make a fortune selling them on ebay.
  • bond50bond50 Banned
    I was happy when Silva ordered it blown to bits.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Let's just say Bond and I had the same expression when the DB5 met its demise. X(
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 129
    No I'm not happy, it's just wrong in the context of this modern movie, if it had been the DBS then they could still have used most of the comedy lines, "And I suppose that's totally inconspicuous", with the exception of the ejection seat gag, I'd have added a line for Bond " I still love you M" as in CR when he 1st picks up the DBS, I think it would have fitted better in the feel of the movie, Ie: like a mother/son relationship, no matter how much you try to push me away you know both I & you really care/love each other.
    To answer the question in the thread title... in a word: YES. :)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited December 2012 Posts: 13,929
    It was a nice little wink for the 50th, but I agree it's had too much screen time as of late. We hadn't seen it for 30 years- and then it pops up in 3 Brosnan films in a row, as well as CR. Luckily, GE and CR introduced it in a unique way. For SF, I was kind of expecting to see the DB5's unused gadgets, such as the bumper over-riders and tyre spikes behind the tail lights, although the spikes were used on the TND BMW. I believe there was also a tray under Bond's seat, which kept a gun amongst other things, but once again we've seen a similar thing in CR's DBS glove box. Also, the unused car telephone could be updated to some kind of touchscreen speakerphone in the door/handle. Some of these optional extras could've been a great homage, as only the more hardcore fans know about them. Maybe we'll see them next time around.

I was a little heartbroken to see the DB5 destroyed, but I think it's safe to say it will be back at some point. EON should- if they haven't already- use this opportunity to introduce a different make/model for the next few films, in the vein of Brosnan's BMW/Moore's Lotus phase.
    the DB5 was one of the better moments in SF for me.
    Glad they blew it up.