Are you happy to see the DB5 return in B25?

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 13,350
    001 wrote:
    Bond wins the db5 in a card game from a murderer in CR.
    Why would he want to keep and drive around in a murderers car?
    Who did Dimitrios kill? Nothing like that was revealed. And still, Bond is ruthless, so why would he care who owned the car previously? He himself is a murderer.

He didn't though did he, as it's clearly a different car, the Bahamas car being left hand drive, and the Skyfall car being right hand drive.

My guess is it's one big continuity error and like many things in Bond, we just need to accept it.
    The DB5 is quintessential Bond but by all accounts is a real ballache to drive
  • Agreed, the DB5 is quintessential Bond and should definitely be part of the 50th anniversary celebration.

Regarding outrunning other cars, that's what gadgets in the car can fix.
    In the costume designer vlog, you can see that the DB5 has some sort of gadget in the headlight. IM HAPPY!!!
    It is quite funny the idea of Bond taking his DB5 to escape to Scotland in 2012 - it would probably be quicker to walk up there.
  • Getafix wrote:
    It is quite funny the idea of Bond taking his DB5 to escape to Scotland in 2012 - it would probably be quicker to walk up there.

Oh I don't know, 4.0 Litre Straight Six, 280 Hp, 150mph, if properly maintained it'd be no slouch that's for sure.

Getafix wrote:

Oh I don't know, 4.0 Litre Straight Six, 280 Hp, 150mph, if properly maintained it'd be no slouch that's for sure.

I bet it would breakdown. Hope Bond has his AA cover up to date.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,686
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

I just read that with a Jeremy Clarkson-esque voice..... :))
  • Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

He'd just about have to pass my house en-route as I live just the right side of the scottish border, he'd of stopped to fill up with un-leaded and presumably taken the opportunity to buy M a pastie.

Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

He'd just about have to pass my house en-route as I live just the right side of the scottish border, he'd of stopped to fill up with un-leaded and presumably taken the opportunity to buy M a pastie.

Ouch, that's gonna cost him 20% extra these days!
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

That would be a scene I would love to see. Potential DVD extra.
  • Volante wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

You can almost hear her say:

'I don't give a sh*t for your Pastie 007, if you haven't brought me pickled onion Monster Munch I'll have you killed...'

Volante wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

You can almost hear her say:

'I don't give a sh*t for your Pastie 007, if you haven't brought me pickled onion Monster Munch I'll have you killed...'

M's more of a Galaxy bar girl I reckon.
    Getafix wrote:
    bondbat007 wrote:
    I'm for one excited that it seems for the first time since 1965, the DB5 seems to be Bond's "main" car (as opposed to the cameos from GE and CR). I'm very excited about this

If that's the case it makes Q a bit behind the times though doesn't it?

I liked the 70s Lotuses - they were of their time. I just feel a 21st century Bond should be driving a contemporary car.

Exactly, it makes no sense for it to be in this film and I hope it doesn't return for a very long time.

p.s. it is quite cool though!

Getafix wrote:

I'm fairly sure the car can't really do 150mph, Aston claimed it at the time but i think they were telling porkies!!
    Gus82 wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    bondbat007 wrote:
    I'm for one excited that it seems for the first time since 1965, the DB5 seems to be Bond's "main" car (as opposed to the cameos from GE and CR). I'm very excited about this

If that's the case it makes Q a bit behind the times though doesn't it?

I liked the 70s Lotuses - they were of their time. I just feel a 21st century Bond should be driving a contemporary car.

Exactly, it makes no sense for it to be in this film and I hope it doesn't return for a very long time.

p.s. it is quite cool though!

It makes perfect sense for Bond to be driving the DB5 as one of his character traits is his love of classic cars. Simple. The Bond of Fleming's books drove a 1930's Bentley in the 1950's.

If you study the short image in the costume designer video of Bond and M standing next to DB5, notice the packing crates surrounding them. A storage area possibly within MI6 ? If their security is so severely compromised as I speculated earlier in the meaning of the word game in teaser trailer thread then their vehicles' ID's/ plates, tracking systems are also severely compromised. This is 007's personal vehicle, not a mission support vehicle therefore lower profile? If the scene is part of MI6 storage then the first time I heard/read about this scene was about 15 years ago sitting at a dinner table in London only it was 007 and Q!? As Mr White would say - "Am I right ?"
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 2,595
    Yeah, it's his personal vehicle. It's not a company car. If it was, then yes, it would be stupid as some have suggested. Bond won it in CR in this rebooted Bond series as we all know.
    LeQueux wrote:
    If you study the short image in the costume designer video of Bond and M standing next to DB5, notice the packing crates surrounding them. A storage area possibly within MI6 ? If their security is so severely compromised as I speculated earlier in the meaning of the word game in teaser trailer thread then their vehicles' ID's/ plates, tracking systems are also severely compromised. This is 007's personal vehicle, not a mission support vehicle therefore lower profile? If the scene is part of MI6 storage then the first time I heard/read about this scene was about 15 years ago sitting at a dinner table in London only it was 007 and Q!? As Mr White would say - "Am I right ?"

Not sure about the scene you describe but it sounds to me like a back street location in London with the refuse of a street market lying around.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 2,595
    Bounine wrote:
    Yeah, it's his personal vehicle. It's not a company car. If it was, then yes, it would be stupid as some have suggested. Bond won it in CR in this rebooted Bond series as we all know.

Well, I've read rumours about the DB5 firing a missile. If this is the case then this is just stupid. It's an old car and shouldn't be used in combat. It's Bond's personal vehicle not a company car and shouldn't be tampered with. Little things like GPS etc is fine but not missiles and oil slicks bla, bla, bla...

I fear I will grimace through these junior Q/Bond scenes.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Bounine wrote:
    Bounine wrote:

Well, I've read rumours about the DB5 firing a missile. If this is the case then this is just stupid. It's an old car and shouldn't be used in combat. It's Bond's personal vehicle not a company car and shouldn't be tampered with. Little things like GPS etc is fine but not missiles and oil slicks bla, bla, bla...

I fear I will grimace through these junior Q/Bond scenes.

The DB5 with gadgets rumour came from The Sun, I doubt it's true. Q won't be showing anything like that to Bond. They have lots of others things going on.
    I don't think I've weighed in on it. Am I happy to see it return? Yes. Is it a bit too soon to bring it back after CR? Yes. But I'm not complaining. I just get concerned when the movies need to rely too much on nostalgia.
    "The DB5 with gadgets rumour came from The Sun, I doubt it's true. Q won't be showing anything like that to Bond. They have lots of others things going on. "

Cool, here's hoping you're right. Initially I had little hope for this film but I too have now partially fallen under the spell of some of the talk, namely regarding further developing Bond's character and exploring his roots. Still, this aspect will most likely only be a minor part of the film and be over shadowed by a bit too much action, but still...

I love the fact that the DB5 is back. Bond has a love of classic cars and it makes sense that it's back seeing he won it in CR but it shouldn't be tampered with. If they want to have a big car chase in the film then they need a modern car.
    Bounine wrote:
    "The DB5 with gadgets rumour came from The Sun, I doubt it's true. Q won't be showing anything like that to Bond. They have lots of others things going on. "

Cool, here's hoping you're right.

I love the fact that the DB5 is back. Bond has a love of classic cars and it makes sense that it's back seeing he won it in CR but it shouldn't be tampered with. If they want to have a big car chase in the film then they need a modern car.

I'm not a fan of the idea of the DB5 having gadgets, but I will say
    that the headlamps look a little funny in that shot of the Aston in the most recent video blog, and more significantly there was those pictures of technicians adding something under the bonnet of a DB5 at the Manor House shoot. At the time we suspected that this was because they were going to blow it up. However in the pictures showing the set when filming was finished a Porsche 928 with some DB5 parts was burnt out in the pictures, so they must have been fitting something other than explosives to the actual DB5 before hand

I agree that the new 2013 Vanquish or the Jaguar F-Type would be more appropriate as Bond should always be contemporary, but
    if it is blown up at least it won't return!
  • I must say that the previous respondents are taking this way too seriously. The Bond films are really just entertainment; people! Personally, it was great to see the DB5 again, shameless nostalgia or not. Hang on a moment, the film does have a thread of nostalgia to the story so it works for me!!
  • Aziz_FekkeshAziz_Fekkesh Royale-les-Eaux
    I really hope that SF doesn't mark the last appearance of it. We all know what happened to it in SF (in case you haven't seen it) but this is such a classic car. It's welcome to make an appearance in every other film every once in a while so far as I'm concerned (every movie would be a little tiring though).
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I really hope that SF doesn't mark the last appearance of it. We all know what happened to it in SF (in case you haven't seen it) but this is such a classic car. It's welcome to make an appearance in every other film every once in a while so far as I'm concerned (every movie would be a little tiring though).
    Let's hope Bond gets a replacement.
    They had to get it away from Goldfinger's factory and completely restore it for Thunderball so why not after SF.

As his personal car the DB-5 can't be beat. Even ties in with Bond's only hobby int the books.............. Classic customized cars.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    delfloria wrote:
    They had to get it away from Goldfinger's factory and completely restore it for Thunderball so why not after SF.

As his personal car the DB-5 can't be beat. Even ties in with Bond's only hobby int the books.............. Classic customized cars.
    I think for the more straight faced Craig era people will want a better answer than "he just got another one". But I won't be one of those people. ;)
    delfloria wrote:

I think for the more straight faced Craig era people will want a better answer than "he just got another one". But I won't be one of those people. ;)

I want him in the new F-type. Sexy sexy car. Convertible, which novel Bond would very much like.