Are you happy to see the DB5 return in B25?

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Bounine wrote:
    I'm not a huge fan of the DB5 returning AGAIN, seems like a DAD type reference to Bonds past. And don't tell me they're doing it because in the books he drove an old car, because I really doubt that's why they included it.

They should've left it in the past as Connery's car.

"DAD type reference"? Not at all. The DB5 is Bond's car. It's what he drives to get around like some drive a Vauxhall or Toyota.

Except it wasn't for years, and it was only bought back in GE and CR as a cheap way to try and get more people to see the film. I wouldn't mind so much if it was just Bonds personal car that he drove around a bit, but apparently it'll be the main car with gadgets in.

Should've bought back the Vantage, it's a nicer car anyway (even though it would make me a bit sad if anyone except Dalton ^:)^ drove it)

There's no indication it will have gadgets in and it will only be Bond's own car. I doubt it will have much screen time in the film, only really at the end. Relax.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Bounine wrote:
    I'm not a huge fan of the DB5 returning AGAIN, seems like a DAD type reference to Bonds past. And don't tell me they're doing it because in the books he drove an old car, because I really doubt that's why they included it.

"DAD type reference"? Not at all. The DB5 is Bond's car. It's what he drives to get around like some drive a Vauxhall or Toyota.

Except it wasn't for years, and it was only bought back in GE and CR as a cheap way to try and get more people to see the film. I wouldn't mind so much if it was just Bonds personal car that he drove around a bit, but apparently it'll be the main car with gadgets in.

Should've bought back the Vantage, it's a nicer car anyway (even though it would make me a bit sad if anyone except Dalton ^:)^ drove it)

There's no indication it will have gadgets in and it will only be Bond's own car. I doubt it will have much screen time in the film, only really at the end. Relax.

Ah, that's ok then. Still, I don't really mind if it's barely in there but I'd rather they just didn't use it at all. So are any of the cars getting gadgets?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Are far as we know, no gadgets.
    I totally don't get it. I am not a car nut and don't really care, but it felt, that before this film everybody was whining for the Aston and now, that you get it, you are whining again. Honestly, is it just that some people so love to complain, because being positive is not in their nature or what is it? You wanted some of the old back, that was taken away from you during the last 2 films and now - its all wrong again... :O
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Germanlady wrote:
    I totally don't get it. I am not a car nut and don't really care, but it felt, that before this film everybody was whining for the Aston and now, that you get it, you are whining again. Honestly, is it just that some people so love to complain, because being positive is not in their nature or what is it? You wanted some of the old back, that was taken away from you during the last 2 films and now - its all wrong again... :O

I think people were whining for AN Aston, not one that should be left in the past instead of being bought back again.

The Aston is one Bond tradition I don't care about, especially the DB5. All the Astons nowadays look the same, and the DB5 is pointlessly bought back film after film, and now it's getting boring.

I was hoping the jag would be Bonds main car this time, as it would be something new. Someone else said on another thread that another Lotus would be cool, and I agree.
    Germanlady wrote:

I cannot speak for everyone but yes, 'I wanted some of the old back', but in the sense of the 'feel' of the films, not literally bringing back old props from the past. We've had this discussion before, but I don't actually understand how a Bond fan can NOT care about supposedly small 'details' like the car. At their best, the cars have added so much to the richness of the films and helped give the Bond movies a classic contemporary look. There are some beautiful contemporary British cars around, that would have complemented the supposedly contemporary but classic feel Mendes is going for. Bringing back the DB5 is a bit like bringing back Little Nelly or the suitcase from FRWL - it's out of time and out of place. And IMO a bit lazy.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2012 Posts: 9,117
    Getafix wrote:
    Bringing back the DB5 is a bit like bringing back Little Nelly or the suitcase from FRWL - it's out of time and out of place. And IMO a bit lazy.

Absolutely. Actually I would far prefer to see Little Nellie back than the DB5 which has been flogged to the point of parody now.

A modern updated LN would be class to be honest.
  • The fact is the Aston Martin DB5 is and always will be Bond's definitive car. Decades have passed and the car still looks great. I can't wait to see it again in Skyfall and hope it appears again in the future.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    The fact is the Aston Martin DB5 is and always will be Bond's definitive car. Decades have passed and the car still looks great. I can't wait to see it again in Skyfall and hope it appears again in the future.

Just because it's definitive doesn't mean it needs to come back. The series did fine without it for years.

And I don't think there is a definitive Bond car. I think there's a definitive Bond car make (AM), but I prefer the Vantage, the Vanquish and the Lotus Eprit to the DB5.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    The DB5 is a beautiful car! I guess this will be Bond's personal car, it fits the character. Perhaps he asked the Q branch to add some extras in case of an emergency, but nothing more. Just the car he enjoys riding and that he happens to use to go to Scotland. I don't see where is the problem, honestly. I am genuinely happy to see the DB5 (and the plate) back.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Sandy wrote:
    The DB5 is a beautiful car! I guess this will be Bond's personal car, it fits the character. Perhaps he asked the Q branch to add some extras in case of an emergency, but nothing more. Just the car he enjoys riding and that he happens to use to go to Scotland. I don't see where is the problem, honestly. I am genuinely happy to see the DB5 (and the plate) back.

You took the words right out of my mouth, Sandy.

• The fact is the Aston Martin DB5 is and always will be Bond's definitive car. Decades have passed and the car still looks great. I can't wait to see it again in Skyfall and hope it appears again in the future.

Just because it's definitive doesn't mean it needs to come back. The series did fine without it for years.

And I don't think there is a definitive Bond car. I think there's a definitive Bond car make (AM), but I prefer the Vantage, the Vanquish and the Lotus Eprit to the DB5.

I meant definitive to me. My opinion is unlikely to change. I agree however that as a make AM is surely definitive in terms of Bond's prefered make, but neither AM in or it's iconic DB5 has to be in a Bond movie to make it work. The same can be said of other 'Bond' elements. I just love the DB5 and will never tire of it.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I'm glad the DB5 is back, bond movies are at there best with it. GF, TB, GE, TND, CR...need I continue?
    Bounine wrote:

It would have been nice to have seen it in other films but in those movies Bond was driving company cars for the purpose of his assignment. We never saw him driving when off duty. In GE when he was being evaluated in Monaco, he wasn't actually on assignment and when he was he had the BMW in the West Indies. Based on the synopsis, I'm presuming in SF he's helping out M and that he's not on a proper assignment.

The fact is the Aston Martin DB5 is and always will be Bond's definitive car. Decades have passed and the car still looks great. I can't wait to see it again in Skyfall and hope it appears again in the future.

Well the Bentley is actually the definitive Bond car - would we like to see him driving that in SF?

The Bentley in FRWL looks like a relic even in 1963 so how long will people be fine with Bond driving the DB5 before it looks ridiculous?

For the 100th will be happy with Bond trundling around in the DB5 because its 'classic Bond' and because the car still looks nice?

A chase in 2062 where all the villains are in the latest models of hyrdogen powered flying cars while poor Bond chugs around in his 100 year old petrol car will be fine will it?

They just about got away with the chase in GE as it wasnt a proper chase but today your average family saloon would outperform the DB5. Nice car and I'd love to own one but its just not up to the job anymore.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 774
    Well at least in Bond 24 in 2014 there will be a new Aston Martin DBS for him to enjoy, coming out next year. http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2013-aston-martin-dbs-spy-photos-future-cars Assuming he sticks to Aston Martins, that is. Which I hope he does.

Personally I like that the DB5 is returning. Bond enjoys the finer things in life, and beautiful cars are no exception. You only have to look at the Shanghai filming video EON released to see that there are other cars in the film that play a role. Having the DB5 as his personal car is a nice touch, I think. It's not the sole Skyfall car, but I'm glad it's there when he returns to his ancestral home.
    Bond is a man of current fashion.
    New omega watches,suits,what is he doing driving a db5 which can be outrun by a hyundai?
    Imagine if he gets chased by his enemies and he's driving a db5.He'll get his $$$ kicked.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    001 wrote:
    New omega watches,suits,what is he doing driving a db5 which can be outrun by a hyundai?
    Imagine if he gets chased by his enemies and he's driving a db5.He'll get his $$$ kicked.

Please, don't compare the DB5 with a Hyundai. I have a Hyundai, they are good cars, but the Aston Martin DB5 is the kind of car that makes you hold your breath each time it shows up, it's not a question of speed.
    Sandy wrote:
    001 wrote:

Please, don't compare the DB5 with a Hyundai. I have a Hyundai, they are good cars, but the Aston Martin DB5 is the kind of car that makes you hold your breath each time it shows up, it's not a question of speed.

But in a car chase, it is though. And Bond has alot of car chases.

Well the Bentley is actually the definitive Bond car - would we like to see him driving that in SF?

The Bentley in FRWL looks like a relic even in 1963 so how long will people be fine with Bond driving the DB5 before it looks ridiculous?

For the 100th will be happy with Bond trundling around in the DB5 because its 'classic Bond' and because the car still looks nice?

A chase in 2062 where all the villains are in the latest models of hyrdogen powered flying cars while poor Bond chugs around in his 100 year old petrol car will be fine will it?

They just about got away with the chase in GE as it wasnt a proper chase but today your average family saloon would outperform the DB5. Nice car and I'd love to own one but its just not up to the job anymore.

The Bentley may well be in the books but not the movies and this is a thread about the DB5 appearing in the new movie. You may well be right about it becoming irrelevant as a plausable vehicle in 2062, but you may also be way off the mark. Who's to say by 2062 they'll even be still using old-fashioned hydrogen flying cars, maybe Bond will just simply use a star trek syle transmat to get around as he chases villians around Mars.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Seconded.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 2,598
    I can't wait to see the DB5 either. After seeing Bond win it in CR I always said that it needs to make an appearance in another Daniel Craig Bond film for continuity sake. I would have been a bit annoyed if it hadn't have appeared.

It's hard to believe that some don't want it in the film. I guess these people just prefer everything to be modern. I myself love classic cars.

"The Bentley in FRWL looks like a relic even in 1963 so how long will people be fine with Bond driving the DB5 before it looks ridiculous?

A chase in 2062 where all the villains are in the latest models of hyrdogen powered flying cars while poor Bond chugs around in his 100 year old petrol car will be fine will it?"

I don't think it should be featured in a chase scene but it's perfectly fine and most appropriate for Bond to simply drive it to get from A to B. Many people own classic cars and use them simply to get around.
    Saying Bond shouldn't use a DB5 is like saying Zorro shouldn't use a black horse!
    Bounine wrote:
    I don't think it should be featured in a chase scene but it's perfectly fine and most appropriate for Bond to simply drive it to get from A to B. Many people own classic cars and use them simply to get around.

Does the film really have enough running time to waste showing Bond popping out to Tescos or going for a nice sunday roast at a carvery in the country?

And as its blatantly not the same car as in CR - wheel on the wrong side, English number plate - I just dont see the continuity with Craigs Bond. It just strikes me as a lazy reference to Bond past and the sort of cliche of the Brosnan era that I thought we had moved on from.
    Bounine wrote:

Bond driving from A to B in a 1960's db5 while assassins are chasing him is not a good look.

He should be driving a Aston 1-77 as his personal car as he always has the best in clothes ,watches etc.

• edited April 2012 Posts: 774
    We don't know if the DB5 is going to be involved in a chase. We know they leave London in it. We know they arrive at the manor building in it. Unless I've missed something big, I don't think there is a chase in between that. The leaked call sheets indicate
    (from memory, might be wrong) that they pull over, they talk, they share a drink. No chase.
    The promotional picture that shows M and Bond standing next to the DB5 in Scotland without a scratch on the car indicates it's not involved in a chase/fight on the way; Craig has a nasty habit of destroying his Aston Martins in chases. So all the 'it will be useless in a chase' discussion seems pointless.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2012 Posts: 15,690
    EON should ditch Aston Martin completly... the DB5 is just shameless nostalgia for the fans, and the modern AM's all look the same since 1997. Sorry but AM is becoming a crap brand, and it's time to chose another car maker that is more diversified in style, and doesn't make the same car for 15 years.
    edited April 2012 Posts: 9,117
    Volante wrote:
    We don't know if the DB5 is going to be involved in a chase. We know they leave London in it. We know they arrive at the manor building in it. Unless I've missed something big, I don't think there is a chase in between that. So all the 'it will be useless in a chase' discussion seems pointless.

Useless in a chase but great in the thrilling scene where Bond drives up the M1 from London to Scotland and stops off for a Ginsters pasty at a Welcome Break service station.

Oh yeah and washes it down with a Heineken.

My cup runneth over.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2012 Posts: 15,690
    If Bond will use the same car (DB5) for god knows how many movies... why shouldn't he also use the same gadget for many films ? I'm sure it'd be great for Bond to defeat the main villain in a similar fashion using the same gadget for 5 films ? Or how about he also have the same Bond girl for 5 outings ? why bother changing actresses when one can do the job for 5 films ?
    Bond wins the db5 in a card game from a murderer in CR.
    Why would he want to keep and drive around in a murderers car?