"Just cutting off your earlobes doesn't make you a count." Your Bond 23 Title

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    A great name for a villain or operation title - either the villain's scheme of Bond's.

The Hildebrand Rarity would also be good as it would, no doubt, confuse the public like Quantum Of Solace did. Never really a bad thing as I feel it's adds interest.
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 9,779
    when choosing my user name I Felt I'd go with what seemed the most likely title Risico that said I'd personally love The Hildebrand rarity or The Property of a Lady
    I think The Property of a Lady is the only Fleming-title that could be used. It's perfect and fits perfectly in the Bond-tradition. Risico is the second option.

Why The Hildebrand Rarity, it's upon a fish, isn't it?
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 117
    Ooooo @forgotmyusername "Chimera" is rrrreally good.
    I'd prefer that they skip the remaining short story titles in favor of something original or something taken from the Fleming chapter titles instead, which I think are much stronger options than any of the remaining short story ideas. My top choice for a future film title would be A Whisper of Hate.
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 1,497
    Shatterhand sounds too violent. Not that Bond films are unviolent--we all know they are, and not that I'm a softie either. It's just that the Fleming titles had a more classy/romantic air about them: Diamonds are Forever, From Russia with Love, For Your Eyes Only, The Spy Who Love Me for example. Others were poetic like: You Only Live Twice or Live and Let Die. And others had a mysterious quality: Goldfinger, Thunderball or Moonraker. But there was always something, I guess "smooth" is the word, about them. So I think Property of a Lady could work in that regard.
    I've never liked the name "Shatterhand". I know it's a part of established Fleming lore with Guntram von Shatterhand, but I've long maintained that is quite possibly the worst alias in the world, simply because it's so obviously an alias.

If it has to be a one-word title for BOND 23, then I vote SHAMELADY. I don't know why. It just sounds right.
    Maybe then Ladyboy?
    I'm hoping they stick with Fleming as it will also be the anniversary year...think they will.

'The Property of a Lady' works well for the current era, I think. Bond being the 'property' of her majesty, Vespa, a-nother woman, in addition to the original auction meaning. I'm coming round to the idea of dropping the definite article....

'Risico' is a great Fleming word. Though they'd be better off pronouncing it 'Ris-eeko' as opposed to the original 'risk' variation. This word could mean anything of course and sounds glamourous. And if they can't get a song out if it, we're doomed musically...

'The Hildebrand Rarity' sounds horrible to me. On the one hand it follows that standard Jack Higgins type thriller title (ie The Quiller Memorandum) which Fleming more or less avoided. And the word 'Hildebrand' just makes me think of old ladies!

No idea what to make of '007 In New York'....

John Gardner has some poor books and some great (and terrible) titles. The ones that immediately leap to mind that seem filmic:

'Nobody Lives Forever'
    'Role of Honour'

.....and, my favourite 'spare' title from any Bond source, Gardner's:

'For Special Services' - I love this title. And it has a Fleming connection. I believe it was the inscription on a commemorative pistol given to Fleming after the war. Anyway, just very Bondian for me.....

'Shatterhand' gets bandied about a lot, from YOLT, which I like...although it sounds a bit 60s to me....
    And if they can't get a song out if it, we're doomed musically...
    Exactly, all the earlier Fleming titles worked to music because they were so lyrical in their wording: "Diamonds are Forever" and "Live and Let Die" are perfect examples. I just can't see anyone belting out "Risico!" or "The...Hild-de-brand Rarity!" It just doesn't work. But Property of a Lady could certainly fit to music nicely.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Somewhere down the road they should use A Whisper Of Love, A Whisper Of Hate, methinks.

Probably nobody'll agree with me, but hey... ;)
    Somewhere down the road they should use A Whisper Of Love, A Whisper Of Hate, methinks.

I agree with you.

While I'd prefer maybe using just "A Whisper of Hate" as a title or perhaps having a pair of films with one titled "A Whisper of Love" and the other as "A Whisper of Hate" (with one serving as a sequel to the other), I could definitely get behind a Bond film carrying the title "A Whisper of Love, A Whisper of Hate".
    Nobody Lives Forever is a fantastic title, Quarterdeck - but JUST the title. Please.

Where's the like button...this will do

:-bd
    I Think since i made this thread i need a turn

Darkturn
    Quantum Threshold
    Secrets in Blood
    Reboot
  • nick_007nick_007 Ville Marie
    It's hard to pick a title without knowing anything about the story. I always like the sound of Risico and The Undertaker's Wind.

Valley of Shadows might be a nice title. Its a chapter title from Live and Let Die.
    A Spy in a Shiny Shoes
    It's a Hard Hard Spying
    Elisabeth and the Spy Who Worshipped Him
    Saturday Night Spying
    Boogie Spying
    A Spy in a Wardrobe
    When The Gloves Come Off and the Fat Lady Sings
    The Spy
    The English Professional
  • Of those I've seen here, in no particular order, the top five that I prefer are:
    Risico
    The Undertaker's Wind
    A Whisper of Love, A Whisper of Hate
    Shatterhand
    Property of a Lady

I've also always liked "Mondays Are Hell," a discarded book title for Moonraker (which ended up as the first chapter title).

Carte Blanche might make a good film/title as well.
    Ruined River
    I Do Like Vally of Shadows
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    if i had to come up with my own... which i am no good at doing - let's make that clear.... i'd probably have to do with some titles that i am considering for my future Fan Fics...

Red Doomsday

Below Zero

The Day After Forever (although this title is now tainted after that awful film The Day After Tomorrow lol)

Roses For The Damned

Hammerhead

..those were the best i could come up with.. lol..
  • I was surprised that they didn't use The Property of a Lady for Bond 22 (QoS).I thought it would have fit perfectly - Bond (or his heart) was still Vesper's "property", and the Algerian Love Knot was as well. However, PoaL (I like it better without the "The") could be used for another film; I feel that QoS could probably *only* be used for the film that it was. And the women I know would have loved the marketing such as a picture of a shirtless Bond with "Daniel Craig is The Property of a Lady".

For Fleming titles I like PoaL or Risico. As much as people thought QoS wouldn't work as the title for a Bond film I think The Hildebrand Rarity would work less well. I never liked Shatterhand in the past as it sounded too cheesy to me but now I think it could work if it referenced some type of Operation Shatterhand (like TB). Sounds like some sort of overpowering military strike. Most of the Fleming chapter titles sound too pulpy to me - they sound more like an Austin Powers film than a Bond film.

As for making up a new title I agree that most don't carry the romantic or lyrical nature of Fleming's titles. Like Barry's scores I don't think we'll ever come close to replicating them.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    The World Is Not A Moon.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    @doubleonothing

Thats No Moon Its A Space Station
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Carrying on with the space theme...

No Man Is An Asteroid Belt.

I'll see myself out.
    I actually did like the recent titles "Devil May Care" and "Carte Blanche" I think they could work, once the Fleming titles have been used up.
    Just Found Away to make good titles

Say this

"Daniel Craig as Ian FleMing's James Bond 007 In __________________________"
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 321
    I've always quite like the titles to the Young Bond series of books by Charlie Higson. Very Bond-ian titles with

"Daniel Craig as Ian FleMing's James Bond 007 In Double Or Die" (with the OO7 coming down from the "O" of the "Or" on any posters would look good)

"Daniel Craig as Ian FleMing's James Bond 007 In By Royal Command"
  • edited June 2011 Posts: 74
    "Just cutting off your earlobes doesn't make you a count." - Of course I wouldn't publish the following title but I did secretly think to myself:"...but it would make you an **********".
    Edited by moderator
This discussion has been closed.