"Just cutting off your earlobes doesn't make you a count." Your Bond 23 Title

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Crimson deliverance
    I like this.

The use of a colour in a film's title can really work well. Two references to The Property Of A Lady that I like are The Emerald Sphere and The Purple Cipher.
    I'm new here but just a few ideas=

Death waits for no man -meh
    Death waits for no spy -no
    Brand of evil -meh
    Crimson deliverance -ticket already purchased ;)
    Man alone -no
    Crimson vice -The first crimson ^ is better

Great ideas though! My fav of my own have to be:
    Eyes of Deceit,
    Pain of a Promise,
    or
    Absent Remorse.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Kiss of Death?? :-??
    Kiss of Death?? :-??
    Thats a good one too. Only problem is

Eyes of Deceit, Pain of a Promise, and Kiss of Death all sound like they have lady troubles, which I, personally, would like to avoid for some time.

Of course, it could work with a female Bond villain just as easily.
  • Does anyone think that the non-Fleming book titles will ever be used as film titles?

They have already used the name Colonel Tan-Sun Moon in Die Another Day from the novel Colonel Sun (1968, Kingsley Amis).

Although I am cautious about straying too far from Fleming with titles and plot lines as this just doesn't seem right (until we have run out) ;)
  • I like some of the non-Fleming titles if not the content ('Colonel Sun' being the exception - great book and a great title): -

Gardner's 'For Special Services' is a GREAT title, I think and retains a loose Fleming connection. He also had 'Role of Honour' and 'Nobody Lives Forever' which are ok.

However, not sure EON have first dibs on any of these?

the Young Bond, 'By Royal Command', is another good 'un but I can't see those being used either.
    EON won't ever, nor have the rights to use those titles I believe.
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 2,598
    There are some good titles from the Gardner era.

Duty Has No Sweethearts (dialogue from TLD)

WE SHOULD HAVE A POLL WHERE WE PLACE A VOTE ON WHETHER BOND 23 WILL BE CALLED:

a) 'Risico'
    b) 'Property of a Lady'
    c) 'The Hilbrand Rarity' OR
    d) Something else

OR (e) 'The most action and globe trotting one has ever fit into a two hour film' (I've always liked longer titles) ;-)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    A Dark Affair

OR

Risk it All
    How about:

"est pro patria mori"

Latin for, "to die for one's country"
    From a famous roman poet, and an extended version of that line, Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori, was a popular saying in WWI known as the "common lie".

I like it, but its a weird one like QoS.
    How about something as simple as "THE COMMON LIE" instead of the Latin equivalent. If it were in Latin, everyone would have to have it explained to them dozens of times. The only Latin that would really work is "SEMPER OCCULTIS", which translates as "Always Secret" and is derived from the MI6 motto.

Instead of THE COMMON LIE, you could play around with a thesaurus to get a different title with the same meaning - like THE ACCEPTED DECEPTION, or THE MALIGN CUSTOM or even THE MUTUAL SUBTERFUGE.
    edited September 2011 Posts: 28,694

Instead of THE COMMON LIE, you could play around with a thesaurus to get a different title with the same meaning - like THE ACCEPTED DECEPTION, or THE MALIGN CUSTOM or even THE MUTUAL SUBTERFUGE.
    Nah. Those sound too much like Robert Ludlum book titles. Lets not send the Bond title down that road(the road marked The ___ ___).
    Well, I just think the Latin is a bit much. And Fleming used "The" titles for chapter headings, like FRWL's "The Moguls of Death".
    Well, I just think the Latin is a bit much. And Fleming used "The" titles for chapter headings, like FRWL's "The Moguls of Death".
    True, the Latin is a bit much. Accepted Deception sounds great, however the "The" fits better. Oh, and I L O V E "The Common Lie" brilliant title.
  • Perhaps the marketing guys should come up with a title that can actually be SUNG in the main title thme song! :)
    I
    Perhaps the marketing guys should come up with a title that can actually be SUNG in the main title thme song! :)
    The Common Lie...

And besides, CR could fit in a song. They chose not to.
  • "Names Are for Tombstones".
    "Names Are for Tombstones".
    Gold. Simply gold.
    Perhaps the marketing guys should come up with a title that can actually be SUNG in the main title thme song! :)
    Why? Where is it written that the title singer must include the title of the film in their song? Carly Simon didn't do it with Nobody Does It Better.
    Of the Fleming titles left, the only one that could be sung is Risico in my opinion. Could this factor into EON's decision making process after having two songs that weren't called, or didn't mention, the title of the film in them when choosing the next film's name?
    I think "the property of a lady" could easy fit into a song.
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 1,856
    Song ability

Property of a Lady 85%
    Risco 56%
    THBR 8%

007 in NY would work if you use it on the music from CR66

Now back onto Topic
  • I always thought that titles that suggested something romantic and soft made a great contrast to the violence. "The spy who loved me" and "For your eyes only" were, in my opinion, great names for Bond movies.

"Property of a lady" is the best suggestion I have heard so far. But I liked the idea of "Carte blanche" too.

It won't be CARTE BLANCHE.
  • Gardner gave us some great options... Role Of Honour, For Special Services, Icebreaker, Never Send Flowers and not to mention, Licence Renewed
    How about LA TRICOTEUSE, taken from the final chapter of From Russia With Love?

I know the phrase translates as "the knitter" and was used to describe Rosa Klebb because she was commonly associated with knitting needles. However, historically, it was used to describe women who frequented public executions in Paris during the French Revolution. They used to sit around the guillotine while the executioners prepared their next victims. It could even be taken one step further and refer to an all-girl spy ring, perhaps. Maybe tied into this:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8352006/witchs-graveyard-unearthed-in-italy

A whole string of bodies show up with their jaws nailed shut. They are victims of La Tricoteuse, a group of female spies that Bond is investigating.

I know the phrase translates as "the knitter" and was used to describe Rosa Klebb because she was commonly associated with knitting needles. However, historically, it was used to describe women who frequented public executions in Paris during the French Revolution. They used to sit around the guillotine while the executioners prepared their next victims. It could even be taken one step further and refer to an all-girl spy ring, perhaps.
    A whole string of bodies show up with their jaws nailed shut. They are victims of La Tricoteuse, a group of female spies that Bond is investigating.
    Could even get into that idea of a cult type villain group, brought up in some other thread..
    Possibly, but I like the idea of Bond going up against a spy ring. Like the Anna Chapman/Illegals Program case in New York. I could see a group calling itself La Tricoteuse being sent for "course correction", cleaning up a mess made by a spy ring. Bond has to work out who the surviving members of the ring are and what they were doing before La Tricoteuse kills them all off.

I know the phrase translates as "the knitter" and was used to describe Rosa Klebb because she was commonly associated with knitting needles. However, historically, it was used to describe women who frequented public executions in Paris during the French Revolution. They used to sit around the guillotine while the executioners prepared their next victims. It could even be taken one step further and refer to an all-girl spy ring, perhaps. Maybe tied into this:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8352006/witchs-graveyard-unearthed-in-italy

interestingthat goes with my idea that the leader of quantum is so terrifying so creepy that people would rather die then say his name.

Perhaps the punnishment of saying even a whisper of this man gets you jaw nailed shut.

• edited September 2011 Posts: 5,745
    And the plot develops! So many great things get started on these discussions.. to no avail :/
This discussion has been closed.