On Her Majesty's Secret Service- Very overrated?

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    YOLT Blofeld is easily my favorite, followed by DAF Blofeld. Gray was really cool, but Pleasence was the king, a really good villain. Savalas is alright but bland in comparision to the other two IMO. I also like the NSNA Blofeld, Max Von Sydow. He had a good accent and was good also. I rank him before Savalas too, and perhaps also before Gray. FYEO Blofeld is very good, I prefer him to Savalas.

We don't even see the FYEO Blofeld's face, and he's only there for the PTS. How could anyone possibly prefer him to Savalas?
    I think he meant for humor purposes, all that 'Delicatessen in Stainless Steel' nonsense , still some ambiguity for some over whether it was really was Ernst, I like to believe he died at the end of Diamonds and why wasn't he wearing a neck brace in 1971, and had one on ten years later if that was indeed him, no mention of the character was made in the FYEO credits that year either

Best Blofeld ever is a tough choice for me, we can readily take Charles Gray out of the equation, I think it's either Pleasance, Savalas or the unknown one from FRWL we never get to see, he had a certain menace and although unseen, just had that ominous presence..
  • I think he meant for humor purposes, all that 'Delicatessen in Stainless Steel' nonsense , still some ambiguity for some over whether it was really was Ernst, I like to believe he died at the end of Diamonds and why wasn't he wearing a neck brace in 1971, and had one on ten years later if that was indeed him, no mention of the character was made in the FYEO credits that year either

Best Blofeld ever is a tough choice for me, we can readily take Charles Gray out of the equation, I think it's either Pleasance, Savalas or the unknown one from FRWL we never get to see, he had a certain menace and although unseen, just had that ominous presence..

Erm, why? Gray was an amazing Blofeld. Menacing, calculated, something of the night about him
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 3,333
    It looks like the Moore stoogies have taken over this thread.... yet again.

For the record I much prefer Savalas' take on Blofeld over the others. At least he carried himself better and had an air of actual menace about him which Pleasance struggled to carry off, even with the fake facial scar. Savalas' Blofeld is tougher than previous versions and joins his troops searching the Alps for Bond - something one can't imagine the Pleasence incarnation doing. The main problem can be found in the fact that Pleasance was a last minute replacement for Czechoslovakian actor Jan Werich... and it shows.

As for Charles Gray, he should never have been recast as Blofeld. The one thing I dislike about some of the Bonds is the recycling of past actors into different roles. Another misfire from Cubby who was holding the reins on DAF.

The whole topic of whether OHMSS is overrated is far too premature, especially when the film has only recently been reevaluated. If anything, it's still only valued by the Bond connoisseurs and is yet to please the soufflé Bond fans who like their movies sugary and light and have yet to come on board.

It's all a matter of taste and whether you have the right palate for it.
    YOLT Blofeld is easily my favorite, followed by DAF Blofeld. Gray was really cool, but Pleasence was the king, a really good villain. Savalas is alright but bland in comparision to the other two IMO. I also like the NSNA Blofeld, Max Von Sydow. He had a good accent and was good also. I rank him before Savalas too, and perhaps also before Gray. FYEO Blofeld is very good, I prefer him to Savalas.

We don't even see the FYEO Blofeld's face, and he's only there for the PTS. How could anyone possibly prefer him to Savalas?

He has ingenious lines, like "Good afternoon, Mr. Bond, don't concern yourself with the pilot. One of my less useful people" and "I've looked forward to this moment, Mr. Bond. I intend to enjoy it to the full".

And about OHMSS, I would have liked a DAF-like version of it with Moore as Bond and Pleasence or Gray as Blofeld. The love story would be scrapped and it would remind us of a Moore Bond movie.

@007RogerMoore: I love the FYEO Blofeld, his laugh is utterly creepy and incredibly villainous! And as a matter of trivia, for any Star Wars fans out there, he was played by the same guy who played Lobot in Empire Strikes Back! The voice was different, but the body was the guy who played Lobot!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Ironic that FYEO PTS makes a complete mockery of the end of OHMSS and that some Moore fans would prefer it.

What makes me laugh are there are far more preposterous OTT entries out there but these people bitch about it when it all gets too serious, you've had your share of the series now it's someone else's turn.

PB maybe the worst Bond and have the poorest entries but Moore's ridiculous portrayal was where all the carry on nonsense started save DAF which really was a RM film with an over weight over the hill Connery making a fool of himself.

As I get older I get more and more less tolerable of Moore's films, I can't watch the majority of them without cringing.
    slyfox wrote:
    No, I strongly disagree.

I think OHMSS and Lazenby are extremely underrated in the big wide world. MGW, the general public and world press always look to overrated films like GF for praise but largely ignore true gems like OHMSS. Most of the general public - even those who "like" the Bond films sadly don't even know who Lazenby is and certainly don't praise the film in an overrated manner. Sure, more and more big Bond fans have come to appreciate it over time but they represent a small minority of those who watch the films, and that praise is well deserved in my opinion.

Lazenby brought a down-to-earth charm to the role. His love affair with Tracy was perfectly believable (I find the CR romance far harder to buy) and Lazenby had fantastic chemistry with series regulars like Moneypenny and M too. He should also be praised for giving Bond a vulnerable quality. Scenes like him looking genuinely scared and trapped at the ice rink remind us that Bond is not an invincible superhero which many could argue Connery, by YOLT, had driven us to believe. I honestly cannot imagine Connery performing emotional scenes as well as Lazenby in this film, especially considering his bored appearance in YOLT. Lazenby should also deserve respect for his superb physical fights in the film. Off-set issues with cast members like Rigg didn't affect the on-screen chemistry at all and I find it strange to say Tracy "wasn't interesting" when she's probably the Bond girl with the single-most character backstory and film relevance in the series. Elsewhere, the quality of cast is arguably the best in the series.

The John Barry soundtrack is phenomenal, easily the best of the series. To say it "isn't top-notch" is mighty peculiar in my view. As previous posters have rightfully said, even scenes like Gumbold's office have so much added tension due to Barry's soundtrack. This film sets the benchmark to how a Bond film should sound like. The main theme brings action and danger whilst others like the beautiful 'Journey to Blofeld's Hideaway' reinforce the fact that legendary music has been missing from the Bond universe for a while now.

<b>I do feel OHMSS generally grows with people over time. I hated it as a youngster and never took to Lazenby, but like fine wine, I've come to appreciate its qualities. I hope those who dislike it now will do the same in time. OHMSS was not long ago at the bottom end of my rankings but it now sits firmly in my top 3 Bond movies.</b>

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this discussion and was going to chime in myself, but I don't think I can add anything at this point. This review above describes pretty much how I feel about OHMSS fantastically almost word for word, especially that last paragraph.

@slyfox: you get my vote for post of the year!

@00Beast: My only hope is that you take this to heart and one day you may enjoy the grandeur of OHMSS.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    I think that the FYEO PTS was more of a shot at McClory than anything else.

I'd love to see the memos that surely flew between Eon and their lawyers about just how much "Blofeld" they could show ("white cat OK, name not OK, bald OK, face not OK?"). I'm sure MGW was very involved in those discussions.
    @JBFan626: I'd like to as well, but every time I watch it, that same old empty feeling comes around!
    Shardlake wrote:
    Ironic that FYEO PTS makes a complete mockery of the end of OHMSS and that some Moore fans would prefer it.

What makes me laugh are there are far more preposterous OTT entries out there but these people bitch about it when it all gets too serious, you've had your share of the series now it's someone else's turn.

PB maybe the worst Bond and have the poorest entries but Moore's ridiculous portrayal was where all the carry on nonsense started save DAF which really was a RM film with an over weight over the hill Connery making a fool of himself.

As I get older I get more and more less tolerable of Moore's films, I can't watch the majority of them without cringing.

Why do Pierce Brosnan and Roger Moore always seem to get the short straw for worst Bonds? In my opinion, they are the two best, and their Bond movies make for my favorites in the series because they are so undeniably entertaining and edge-of-your-seat thrilling. They're colorful, exotic, wild, explosive, large-scale, and pure 007.
  • OHMSS - second best Bond movie. Lazenby is underrated.
  • LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    Mostly quite overrated. Really good but not at best. The plot is huge, the places wonderful, the direction exceptionnal, John Barry's score too, Diana Rigg superb but George Lazenby, mainly did a quite good job, although was still far from the 007 secret agent. He wasn't much credible to me, more like a businessman-gentleman. A great stuntman as well, so do Craig and Dalton. So romantic, as well.
    For the interest of the serie, I wished as others, Connery did it, as we would have felt it more concerned in the character, particularly at the ending scene...
  • The action's great. Lazenby as a fighter was brutal, up there with Craig if I'm honest.
    His performance is wooden as hell though.
  • To answer the question, yes.

1.) Lazenby is the worst Bond out of all 6. He is a bad Connery rip off. His delivery of "My name is Bond, James Bond" makes me cringe every time.

2.) I do not like Kojak as Blofeld. Why couldn't they have hired back Donald Pleasence?

Fix those two problems and I'd probably rank it higher on my list. If you do not respect the man in the role of Bond, it really ruins the film.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 533

Would OHMSS be a better Bond movie with Connery in the role? I don't know. I don't think we'll ever know. Yes, Connery was the better actor. But I have doubts over whether he would have been able to portray Bond in such a personal way. And to be honest, I was so satisfied with the movie and Lazenby's performance that in the end, I didn't miss Connery one bit.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 136
    2.) I do not like Kojak as Blofeld. Why couldn't they have hired back Donald Pleasence?

Can you imagine the short and stocky Pleasence skiing around?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    MaxRebo120 wrote:
    Not a bit of it!
  • OHMSS was a solid Bond film. If anyhing, OHMSS is underrated. I don't know why it gets so much hate???
  • No. It's the crown jewel of the Bond films and Lazenby is severely underrated imho. He should have been in the next 3 Bond films at least.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    MaxRebo120 wrote:

Any man that spends most of his time chasing Michael Myers around damn well can!
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    OHMSS was a solid Bond film. If anyhing, OHMSS is underrated. I don't know why it gets so much hate???

Has always been my No. 2 Bond film - and probably always will. Can't really see any modern Bond overtaking it. Solid story from Fleming which Peter Hunt kept as close to as possible in film terms. Never tire of watching this classic Bond movie.
  • I cant even be bothered to get angry enough enter the fray here.

Sometimes its just too depressing to think that people who can hold such ludicrous points of view are also entitled to vote and have kids. The worlds going to hell in a handcart and we're all going along for the ride whether we like it or not.

TheWizardOfice nails it. The complete lack of taste omnipresent in "such ludicrous points of view" are a sure indication that the authors are extremely short of those little grey cells!
    OHMSS is a phenomenal novel that was made into a good movie!

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Villiers53 wrote:
    I cant even be bothered to get angry enough enter the fray here.

Sometimes its just too depressing to think that people who can hold such ludicrous points of view are also entitled to vote and have kids. The worlds going to hell in a handcart and we're all going along for the ride whether we like it or not.

TheWizardOfice nails it. The complete lack of taste omnipresent in "such ludicrous points of view" are a sure indication that the authors are extremely short of those little grey cells!
    OHMSS is a phenomenal novel that was made into a good movie!
    Everyone likes different things. That's life. Deal with it.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 266
    I love OHMSS it is second in my list only behind FRWL. The film i think is brilliant, it has a great story and very close to the novel, the pacing is great imo, the score is one of the best,the cinematography is great it is visually stunning and one of the best in the series along with YOLT imo, i really like all the performances including Lazenby's, i think the scenes in the barn and when Tracey is killed are brilliant and i cant imagine any other Bond in those apart from maybe Dalton,i think Lazenby is good in action too and whilst we are on action the set pieces are great and the ski scenes are my favourite skiing action in the series. I think the film is great and Peter Hunts contribution to the 60's films is massive with his editing and with OHMSS his directing and i wish he had directed more. I know a lot of Bond fans who have the same view as me and i know a lot who dont like it so even though it has been appreciated more with time i still think it is a film which divides fans.
  • Underrated probably in the general public, but I think among us hardcore Bondfans it's quite overrated.

First time I watched it, I hated it. When I saw it on Blue-Ray, I liked it, though it's still not one of the best imo.

So much works in this movies. Faithful to Fleming, great ideas, fantastic locations and the cast and crew is magnificent.... well, with the exception of George Lazenby.
    Let me say this, for his first acting gig, he does better that one would have thought. But overall I just have such a hard time accepting him as Bond.
    Besides, the time was wrong. He was too young and OHMSS the worst movie he could have started with. OHMSS, for me, is about an older Bond, who after many adventures and women, finally finds the girl of his life and is ready to settle down. It really is about an aging man who finally is about to find his peace after a dangerous life.
    And that just does not work with Lazenby imo.

Besides, the plot with hypnosis just dated really bad (but that's minor criticism which can be used for many Bond films).

I however find the editing sometimes distracting and annoying and I do think that this movie has pacing issues.
    Furthermore I think chemistry between Laz and Rigg could have been better and the Bond/Tracy story could have been told better.
    The truth is, we have two scenes that really should convince us that they are in love. And while it works, the love montage still is a bit cheesy (even with that amazing song!).

That said, there is so much to love in this movies. The M/Moneypenny scenes belongs to one of the best in the franchise, the ending is fantastic and touching, Piz Gloria amazing, the score fantastic and truly makes some scenes work.

Overall it is a good Bond movie, but imo very overrated and ridiculously adored by some of us around here. Though I don't mean to offend anyone with that statement!

• RC7RC7
    edited December 2012 Posts: 10,512
    Overall it is a good Bond movie, but imo very overrated and ridiculously adored by some of us around here. Though I don't mean to offend anyone with that statement!

I think it's mainly because it was dismissed for so long the adoration is borne out of that sense of realisation that in fact, it's so bloody good. It was re-evaluated in a sense, the series drifted so far away from what OHMSS was, that it's only in hindsight you can look back and go 'actually, this is something really special'. It's also more in keeping with the trend of modern blockbusters so feels fresh when compared to something like DAF, which while being great fun is rather kitsch.
    RC7 wrote:

I think it's mainly because it was dismissed for so long the adoration is borne out of that sense of realisation that in fact, it's so bloody good. It was re-evaluated in a sense, the series drifted so far away from what OHMSS was, that it's only in hindsight you can look back and go 'actually, this is something really special'. It's also more in keeping with the trend of modern blockbusters so feels fresh when compared to something like DAF, which while being great fun is rather kitsch.

@RC7 I agree with that.
  • RC7 wrote:

That surely is a good explanation!
  • Not in the slightest. In fact, I think in some circles it's still underrated!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I think the end of OHMSS is made more poignant by the fact that it is Lazenby's only film.