On Her Majesty's Secret Service- Very overrated?

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    This post is overrated.

Your posts, never. The thread, maybe.
  • To those of you that are saying Barry's score in OHMSS was probably one of his best, you're all insane.
    It was his best.

Call the loony bin then and have them take me away :))

I like DAF better. Barry composes not only a great and very versatile title theme, but manages to make you feel like you're in Vegas while making sure plenty of Bondian cues are going on elsewhere.
  • Which Barry score one prefers says more about their own tastes than the quality of the score, as so many of them are insurpassably excellent.
    "I might embarrass myself now, but who is Stanley Kubrick?"

As Nicky and Alex on Full House would say : "shame on you......double shame !"

*chuckles*
    Tracy wrote:

*chuckles*

Google is your friend!
    Tracy wrote:

*chuckles*

Hahaha, Full House reference! Nice!
    OOBeast says he loves Elvis Presley but does not know much about Frank Sinatra. Well you only have to go back as far as 1998 to connect with Frank -whereas Elvis died in 1977. Frank outlived Elvis by 21 years. Both are great singers. They are the two top selling singers in the world (forget Michael Jackson). Frank was multi-media ,like Elvis he acted in movies and won three Academy Awards,he did TV Specials, recorded albums, and toured round the whole world(incuding many visits to London) until 1995. If you are to start listening to Frank Sinatra I would recommend two albums. Firstly 'Frank Sinatra and Antonio Carlos Jobim' the songs are written by Jobim and their cool Brazillian melodies will ease you into Frank's world. Secondly , from the 1970's 'Sinatra and Company' - also featuring Jobim songs but several popular hits of the 1970's also. Happy listening!
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    OHMSS is one of the best Bonds out there. Always in the top three (usually at no. 2 after FRWL), not just a great Bond film but a great film. I'm looking forward to the Bond 50 blu-ray collection and that will be the first one in the Blu-ray player (have already had FRWL and Dr No - both excellent). I freakin' love this movie and am at this moment reading Charles Helfenstein's excellent 'The Making of On Her Majesty's Secret Service' (along with Robert Sellers' 'The Battle for Bond') one of the best books about the making of a film - any film. A true 007 classic.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,425
    It is an excellent Bond movie. Beautifully paced and with some classy, exciting action sequences and a fantastic score. I think Lazer's performance remains impressive. He was the first guy to follow on from someone else and that someone else was Sean. A big challenge and he rose to it.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 299
    There is no way that OHMSS is overrated. It deserves the kudos it gets. Barry's best score in my opinion. The action is stellar from beginning to end. The story is by far one of the best, as is the cast all-around. And considering his lack of experience, Lazenby does a decent enough job in his debut and could have only gotten better. Armstrong's rendition of the song is magnificent, as is the song itself. Overall, the film is just fantastic.
  • Its my favourite Bond film - so for me its not overated. I actually think that it is not appreciated enough! The introduction of Bond in the PTS is brilliant. The driving down the road, lighting the cigarette, spying on Tracy before she goes into the sea. The action is first class from start to finish. John Barry's brilliant score. The title sequence is classy. The cinematography is stunning. Diana Rigg is a classy Bond girl , Telly Savalas is great, the location is breathraking and I think George Lazenby does a decent job considering he was following in Connery's footsteps. Plus one of the most emotional scenes ever in a Bond film.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited May 2012 Posts: 5,979
    It's the best Bond film for me, and seems underrated since the general public rejected and continues to reject Lazenby, without considering the film in its entirety.

Tracy is the ideal Bond girl: you can see (primarily through Rigg's performance) why Bond of all people would marry her. She's vulnerable, then tough, then vulnerable again. It's heartbreaking: Bond saves Tracy in the PTS, Tracy saves Bond at the ice rink, but Bond can't save Tracy in the end.

No other Bond film has blended action and emotion so deftly (helicopters readying an attack while Tracy recites a poem to distract Blofeld--it sounds disastrous on paper but works beautifully onscreen, and is one of the best moments in the Bond series). The film is impressively directed and scripted (it helps that the source material is so strong) and contains Barry's best score.

It's difficult to overrate this masterpiece, IMHO.
  • If only it had Connery in it....

@Echo makes a great point. For all the emotion cobblers that Dench has injected into the series and that Brosnan tried to do and Craig is so smug at thinking he's mastering, no film has beat OHMSS for emotion, nor has it been able to blend it with action so expertedly.
    If only it had Connery in it....

@Echo makes a great point. For all the emotion cobblers that Dench has injected into the series and that Brosnan tried to do and Craig is so smug at thinking he's mastering, no film has beat OHMSS for emotion, nor has it been able to blend it with action so expertedly.

I know this opinion won't be popular, but the "emotion" you talk about, I want erased from Bond films.
  • If only it had Connery in it....

I know this opinion won't be popular, but the "emotion" you talk about, I want erased from Bond films.

Don't get me wrong. I hate it. But for Bond falling in love/Bond's wife dying? I'll make the exception, especially as it was SPECTRE that did it.

Have to applaud the way DAF went about it's business. Got his revenge by killing him (take noted Dench and craig) and then got on with the film. None of this trust/anger issues.

Have to applaud the way DAF went about it's business. Got his revenge by killing him (take noted Dench and craig) and then got on with the film. None of this trust/anger issues.

Agreed, I wish they did the same after CR.

• edited May 2012 Posts: 154

Don't get me wrong. I hate it. But for Bond falling in love/Bond's wife dying? I'll make the exception, especially as it was SPECTRE that did it.

You are clearly Moore fans. Not that I think its a bad thing, but Moore fans don't usualy like the emotional part of Bond. I quite like it.

OHMSS is a great Bond film. Not at all overrated. Sure, George Lazenby was a litle bad with the whole "acting" thing, but he totally pull it of.

I think the M/Bond relationship in the earlier films has increased, but I dont think its that bad. I still like it. Dench is a great actress and she plays M very well.I just dont want her to be involved so much, but then again, Skyfall....ups
  • VBM398 wrote:

You are clearly Moore fans. Not that I think its a bad thing, but Moore fans don't usualy like the emotional part of Bond. I quite like it.

OHMSS is a great Bond film. Not at all overrated. Sure, George Lazenby was a litle bad with the whole "acting" thing, but he totally pull it of.

I think the M/Bond relationship in the earlier films has increased, but I dont think its that bad. I still like it. Dench is a great actress and she plays M very well.I just dont want her to be involved so much, but then again, Skyfall....ups

I am a Roger Moore fan for sure. It's not them emotion I have a problem with. I love OHMSS, TLD and LTK and think they are great Bond films and each has Bond 'emotional' one way or another. My problem is when emotion for emotion's sake just to showcase Dench/Craig's acting skills is included. that bothers me because it's ridiculous and takes away from the action.

I like M/Bond relationship during the Bernard Lee years. People write that off but that too had a development to it and a certain amount of depth. I think Lee is streets ahead of Dench and is far more memorable. Dench should be like a Harry Potter actress, not wishing to seek the limelight from the real star of the show: the action and character of James Bond. She's far too involved and it's very boring and flat now.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 154
    VBM398 wrote:

I am a Roger Moore fan for sure. It's not them emotion I have a problem with. I love OHMSS, TLD and LTK and think they are great Bond films and each has Bond 'emotional' one way or another. My problem is when emotion for emotion's sake just to showcase Dench/Craig's acting skills is included. that bothers me because it's ridiculous and takes away from the action.

I like M/Bond relationship during the Bernard Lee years. People write that off but that too had a development to it and a certain amount of depth. I think Lee is streets ahead of Dench and is far more memorable. Dench should be like a Harry Potter actress, not wishing to seek the limelight from the real star of the show: the action and character of James Bond. She's far too involved and it's very boring and flat now.

I'm a Moore fan too. But not has much.
    You are probably correct on the M/Bond relationship. Bernard Lee is far more superior M then Judi Dench, but I still like her.
  • Returning to the thread's topic, I do think OHMSS sees the weakest portrayal of Blofeld IMHO
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 299
    Returning to the thread's topic, I do think OHMSS sees the weakest portrayal of Blofeld IMHO

I'm curious as to why you think this, considering that in this film it's the only time he actually seems like somewhat of a physical threat to Bond. As much as I love Donald Pleseance, I certainly can't say that about him, and there is simply no way I can visualize Charles Gray in the bobsled run.
    You've got to love Telly. Legend. And he has a nice gangsterish air of menace about him. Good casting I think, as much as I love Pleseance's definitive take on the role.
  • Returning to the thread's topic, I do think OHMSS sees the weakest portrayal of Blofeld IMHO

I'm curious as to why you think this, considering that in this film it's the only time he actually seems like somewhat of a physical threat to Bond. As much as I love Donald Pleseance, I certainly can't say that about him, and there is simply no way I can visualize Charles Gray in the bobsled run.

It seems almost un-Blofeld like for me? Irma Bunt is a wasted character also. Pleasance nailed it perfectly. As much as love Gray and DAF, the Blofeld just isn't as good as YOLT.

Order of Blofeld from good to bad: Pleasance, Gray, Savalas
    Returning to the thread's topic, I do think OHMSS sees the weakest portrayal of Blofeld IMHO

It seems almost un-Blofeld like for me? Irma Bunt is a wasted character also. Pleasance nailed it perfectly. As much as love Gray and DAF, the Blofeld just isn't as good as YOLT.

Order of Blofeld from good to bad: Pleasance, Gray, Savalas

Good to see you have some liking for Gray! I've always enjoyed Gray's portrayal of Blofeld. Even though he is the campiest and strangest Blofeld, I still think he's a great Blofeld. I'd probably rank them Gray, Pleasance, Savalas.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Roger Moore fans are bloody hilarious!
    YOLT Blofeld is easily my favorite, followed by DAF Blofeld. Gray was really cool, but Pleasence was the king, a really good villain. Savalas is alright but bland in comparision to the other two IMO. I also like the NSNA Blofeld, Max Von Sydow. He had a good accent and was good also. I rank him before Savalas too, and perhaps also before Gray. FYEO Blofeld is very good, I prefer him to Savalas.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Pleasance was bloody awful, Savalas is easily the best Blofeld save the disembodied voice from FRWL & TB.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    IMO Savalas is the best Blofeld... closely followed by Gray in 2nd place and Pleasance not too far behind in 3rd place.... but I love all 3 of them :)

Sorry left field but with ohmss set at the end the swinging sixties and the Randy 70s, did bond use any condoms and what brand was king then?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I sense frustration. @-)
    But there are all kinds of Bond fans; can't we be inclusive?