On Her Majesty's Secret Service- Very overrated?

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2012 Posts: 15,690
    there was a girl I wanted to date a couple of years back... until she asked who Stanley Kubrick was... sorry I don't date uncultured people.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    00Beast wrote:
    Univex wrote:
    Bah, you just wanna pick a fight. I bet you think people who don´t like to read are stupid as well ;) And yes, you are young. Good to see that, at least, you are civil. And that you like old films and literature. I find no reason for a fight here.

I face-palm all the time when I hear people say "who's Humphrey Bogart, Frank Sinatra, Marilyn Monroe, Dean Martin, Cary Grant, Alfred Hitchcock, Gregory Peck, etc." "Who's Dumas, Stevenson, Wells, FLEMING, etc." grinds my gears to. And as much as I want to scream at the top of my lungs, I just sulk and lose faith in my generation.

Same here, our generation has no taste in music whatsoever. They think "artists" like Adele, Usher, and LMFAO are better than the '60s-'80s classics like Foreigner, Rush, Rolling Stones, Van Halen, etc. It's a crying shame, really.

Let's go back further. Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Otis Redding, Eretha Franklin, Rosemary Clooney, and all the big greats. These days few ever pay any notice of the greatest singers of the 40s, 50s, and 60s, and that's a shame. I love Michael Bublé because he is an artist that cares for that era, and does the music the best justice. Same with Josh Groban. I commend them both.
    @0Brady: Sorry to say, I don't go back that far! Still, I know who they are, that's at least a good thing! The furthest I go back is the King of Rock 'N Roll himself, Elvis Presley!
    Some have overrated it. But then, when I watched it first time sitting in the Cinema,
    as a Connery fan having watched DN when it was released, Lazenby was a disappointment for me. But over the years, having watched it a number of times, I feel that Lazenby was not bad, OHMSS was not badly made, and hence I have accommodated it in my list, certainly not in my top 4: DN, FRWL, GF, TB but I place it as my 5th and then CR, Barry was superb in OHMSS music score and that clicnhed its 5th place for me. I feel that Lazenby threw it away when he walked and the producers did nothing to make him stay. In the second film, he would have grown immensely.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    00Beast wrote:
    @0Brady: Sorry to say, I don't go back that far! Still, I know who they are, that's at least a good thing! The furthest I go back is the King of Rock 'N Roll himself, Elvis Presley!
    Elvis is bloody brilliant, I love popping his music in from time to time. You should get a Sinatra fix if only that. The man is the best voice of his era, and a jack of all trades entertainer. His music is great because there is the heartfelt ballads for romantic moments, strong vocal songs that show the power of his talent, and great cheery songs that get your foot a tapping and fingers snappin'. Him and his music have changed my life forever, and I only have love for the man. RIP Frank, you may be gone, but you will always live on in your masterful music.
    :)>-
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 4,762
    @0Brady: Precisely, Elvis is brilliant! His songs like "Now and Then There's a Fool Such as I", "Rubberneckin'", "A Little Less Conversation", "Big Hunk 'O Love", and "Hound Dog" are just simply masterpieces! As for Sinatra, I haven't ever heard anything by him, though I do know who he is at least. Might have to give him a try!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    there was a girl I wanted to date a couple of years back... until she asked who Stanley Kubrick was... sorry I don't date uncultured people.

Please tell me you had her arrested, DC. I mean, really!!! For such people to be part of our society ... it's beyond me.
    DarthDimi wrote:

Please tell me you had her arrested, DC. I mean, really!!! For such people to be part of our society ... it's beyond me.

I might embarrass myself now, but who is Stanley Kubrick?

hqdefault.jpg
    No kidding.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 4,813
    scolding.jpg

You stop what you're doing and look here right now

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000040/

I'll expect a full report on my desk in the morning
    DarthDimi wrote:

Have you heard of Alfred Hitchcock?? :-SS
    Yeah, the Psycho guy.
    DarthDimi wrote:

He's one of the great geniuses in the field of photography, not known for his output of great quantity but instead for his output of great quality. His films are:

short documentaries
    1951: Day of the Fight
    1951: Flying Padre
    1952: The Seafarers

pre-Spartacus
    1953: Fear and Desire
    1955: Killer's Kiss
    1956: The Killing
    1957: Paths of Glory

as director-for-hire
    1960: Spartacus

his best known films
    1962: Lolita
    1964: Dr. Strangelove
    1968: 2001: A Space Odyssey
    1971: A Clockwork Orange
    1975: Barry Lyndon
    1980: The Shining
    1987: Full Metal Jacket
    1999: Eyes Wide Shut

He was about to make A.I. but sadly passed away in 1999, on March 7th, the day I turned 17 I might add.

He made one of my favourite horror films of all times, The Shining, and my favourite (Sci-Fi) film of all times, 2001.

stanley-kubrick_1505797c.jpg

One simply cannot claim to being a film connoisseur without having seen Kubrick's work!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    He even helped with a lighting issue on the 007 stage when it was first built! Yes, he has his own Bond connection, you should know him only for that.
    edited March 2012 Posts: 23,550
    Also, he pretty much 'stole' Ken Adam for Dr Strangelove and thus Adam was unable to work on FRWL.

Why Adam in turn refused to work on 2001, according to Wikipedia because "he found out that Kubrick had been working with NASA for a year on space exploration", is unclear to me. Did Adam have a beef with NASA? (Part of me is fairly intrigued by the thought of having Adam contribute to my favourite film of all times, yet another part of me is pleased that things ended up being as they did for any change to 2001 might have made the film less good.)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2012 Posts: 9,117

On your scale of embarassment 007RogerMoore this is a mere peccadillo.

I can´t recall any embarassment here from my side. You must mistake me for someone else.

Has no one any response to my post of March 29 ? Surely fans who were at the cinema form the beginning 'DR.NO.'(1963 at my local) deserve to be commented on. Incidentally I have seen two James Bond actors in person- Roger Moore ( two film premiers 1976 and 1980 ) and Daniel Craig (1999 at a play at The Old Vic) and both are my LEAST favourite Bonds ( ironic ? ) George Lazenby and Sean Connery are my favourites !
    Samuel001 wrote:
    He even helped with a lighting issue on the 007 stage when it was first built! Yes, he has his own Bond connection, you should know him only for that.

That was with TSWLM if I remember correctly.
  • RC7RC7

I can´t recall any embarassment here from my side.

You should be.

RC7 wrote:

I can´t recall any embarassment here from my side.

You should be.

?
    Perhaps you are jealous because I like lasers?

• OHMSS top notch Bond,it was good all the way !!!!
  • 00Beast wrote:
    To me, I find this one to be extremely overrated, and I don't see what all the big to-do is about. After watching it yesterday and today, I still hold true to my standings that it is one of my least favorites, if not my least favorite. Reasons why, you ask? (1) Lazenby just isn't that terrific, (2) the pacing is awful, (3) the music isn't top notch, (4) too many boring scenes prior to Bond's arrival at Piz Gloria, and even some when he's there, (5) Tracy isn't very interesting, and I could probably go on. Now yes, there are some great moments here, like the ski chases, the ice car rally, the final battle, and Savalas as Blofeld, but they just don't outweigh the vast amount of negatives. Does anybody agree, or have I just thrown myself to the sharks?

1. The only Bond I consider to be worse than George is Brosnan, so agree with that. I've learned not to be too hard on George because it was his first role and he was after all replacing GOD (Sir Sean Connery). Hard to tell with only one appearance how George would have turned out.

3. The title theme is one of the greatest instrumentals ever written, and one of Barry's greatest soundtracks for Bond or anything else for that matter. Personally I prefer the DAF soundtrack as Barry's best Bond work and Goldfinger as the greatest Bond theme, but this soundtrack is definitely top notch and I love it.

• edited April 2012 Posts: 90
    Jason19 wrote:
    Has no one any response to my post of March 29 ? Surely fans who were at the cinema form the beginning 'DR.NO.'(1963 at my local) deserve to be commented on. Incidentally I have seen two James Bond actors in person- Roger Moore ( two film premiers 1976 and 1980 ) and Daniel Craig (1999 at a play at The Old Vic) and both are my LEAST favourite Bonds ( ironic ? ) George Lazenby and Sean Connery are my favourites !

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Jason19 wrote:
    Jason19 wrote:

Well I've read your post Jason and it's a fine post, but as you didn't pose a question or say anything controversial maybe everyone passed it by?

I've seen OHMSS on the big screen as well, but not on it's original release.
    Incidentally I saw an interview with Daniel Craig the other day and he said that when playing James Bond you have to take the rough with the smooth. Press hassle has to be offset by the fact that the role is a wonderful opportunity. He said he is thankful every day for getting this chance. I can only say that his attitude is very professional and extremely sensible. If only Mr.Lazenby had shown such good sense !
    OHMSS is joint first with FRWL and TB for me. i love everything about this movie. bond at its best IMO.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 612
    To those of you that are saying Barry's score in OHMSS was probably one of his best, you're all insane.
    It was his best.
  • This post is overrated.