On Her Majesty's Secret Service- Very overrated?

Comments

• edited March 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Bain youve let yourself down there. You cant be slating the Laz. Living f*cking legend.

I'm not slating the Laz. I'm just saying I'm not his biggest fan. I find Connery, Moore, Craig, Dalton and Broz more entertaining to watch.

I think it's the George Baker dub over that lets him down for me. I know it only lasts half an hour but it's distracting.

Laz did a pretty good job considering he wasn't an actor - I just prefer the others. Sorry Wizard :)
    I know I don't post here, but I do love reading these kinds of threads. Very good debate thus far! Love it! :D

For me, just one little Bond fan against the world here, OHMSS only has the music going for it. The rest is.....just kind of dumb.

Brainwashing? Really? Come on. WORST CONCEPT EVER.

And what DID happen to Blofeld? Did Laz just not care? "I'm sure he's dead, let's get hitched."

When Laz just sits down in the office and looks through Connerys pieces from past films, and has HIS memories, it just seems like "yeah, that WAS all me. I remember that...". And if that's the case, what was that "this never happened to the other fellow" line all about if your JUST gonna have GL play Connery with all his memories? Just dumb. And an insult to Sean, if you ask me.

Did George really spend a solid 10 minutes caring about some (at the time in the film) random woman and her problems, then go and FROLIC AND SHOP WITH HER!??!?!?

Lastly....orange turtleneck? =))

I mean zero disrespect, this is just my opinion, pure and simple. I know that it is not the "right one", but a good debate needs a point to every counterpoint, yes?

The whole film felt like it could have been so much better. But with a rookie actor and director, it wasn't meant to be. (AT LEAST FOR ME)
    I can see your points, but maybe you've been a bit harsh on poor George here?

Said it before, Lazenby gets sometimes unfairly castigated by people, not just on MI6 either, there was certainly very big shoes to fill after Connery left in '67 and I think all said, he didn't do too bad a job either. It's not one of my favorites granted, but all the same really would of liked to have seen Mr Lazenby in or two subsequent releases, the potential was there
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Plus the whole 'breaking the fourth wall', and refering back to connery's bond was taking it TOO far.

DAF basically does this too: "My God, you just killed James Bond!"

I agree with everything SLYFOX had to say about OHMSS being a great movie. I am particularly interested in the video BAIN 123 has posted with a young chap giving a very erudite critique of OHMSS. Hey junior thats some 'gift of the gab' you've got there and very intelligent with it. However you fall into the old cliche of knocking George Lazenby's acting - there is nothing to knock here he gives one of the best performances of the series. I am going to age myself here - I saw the film on it's first release when it came to our local cinema in may 1970. I was a schoolboy and had just played Nero (Roman Emperor) in the school play - I also belonged to the Youth Theatre in a nearby city and was rehearsing Billy Liar( film :Tom Courtney) and a French comedy. I had been to all previous five Bond films on their first release(since infant school) Now a big colour film with moving pictures was a novelty then because(don't laugh) much of TV was black and white in the early seventies.So a visit to the cinema to see a colour film was a treat. Despite this during the first few minutes of OHMSS I remember resenting the fact that someone had taken Sean Connery's place ( it could have just as easily been Roger Moore or Timothy Dalton that i resented) but once the film got under way I loved it and it has been my favourite since. It was the first film I bought the Vinyl Soundtack of. So youngsters don't be so quick to knock Lazenbys acting I was a young actor in 1970 and I thought he was terrific.
    OHMSS is awesome
    AgentOO9 wrote:
    I know I don't post here, but I do love reading these kinds of threads. Very good debate thus far! Love it! :D

For me, just one little Bond fan against the world here, OHMSS only has the music going for it. The rest is.....just kind of dumb.

Brainwashing? Really? Come on. WORST CONCEPT EVER.

And what DID happen to Blofeld? Did Laz just not care? "I'm sure he's dead, let's get hitched."

When Laz just sits down in the office and looks through Connerys pieces from past films, and has HIS memories, it just seems like "yeah, that WAS all me. I remember that...". And if that's the case, what was that "this never happened to the other fellow" line all about if your JUST gonna have GL play Connery with all his memories? Just dumb. And an insult to Sean, if you ask me.

Did George really spend a solid 10 minutes caring about some (at the time in the film) random woman and her problems, then go and FROLIC AND SHOP WITH HER!??!?!?

Lastly....orange turtleneck? =))

I mean zero disrespect, this is just my opinion, pure and simple. I know that it is not the "right one", but a good debate needs a point to every counterpoint, yes?

The whole film felt like it could have been so much better. But with a rookie actor and director, it wasn't meant to be. (AT LEAST FOR ME)

I agree with most of your points, but I don´t dislike the movie. But it´s a different kind of Bond film, no doubt.
    @007RogerMoore: Oh yes...quite different indeed! In fact, much too different! Haha.
    00Beast wrote:
    @007RogerMoore: Oh yes...quite different indeed! In fact, much too different! Haha.

Just what I think. I just wanted to be polite so that the Fleming fans don´t behead me.
    00Beast wrote:

Just what I think. I just wanted to be polite so that the Fleming fans don´t behead me.

Don't fear the Fleming fans, my friend! Somebody has to take this viewpoint, so it might as well be us!
    Sure. Ok, I´ll be brave and say that the only EON Bond movie I like less than OHMSS is CR. I place it at 21 out of 22!
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Of course everybody's entitled to their opinion but to me OHMSS is the kind of film you can enjoy even if you HAVEN'T read a lot of Fleming.

For instance I know that chap in the video hasn't read much of Fleming but he still considers Majesty's one of the best in the series.

I myself also first saw Majesty's long before I ever read the book and have to say I enjoyed it back then - although its certainly grown on me even more as Ive got older.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 1,082
    Bond falling in love, all the drama and the slow pace drag the movie down. Lazenby is ok, I don´t think he deserves the hate he has received. There are good points, but it doesn´t sit well with my definition of what Bond is.
    Bond falling in love, all the drama and the slow pace drag the movie down. Lazenby is ok, I don´t think he deserves the hate he has received. There are good points, but it doesn´t sit well with my definition of what Bond is.

Agreed. By the way, and forgive me if you've already stated this, but where do you rank OHMSS?
    21 out of 22.
    I only like CR less. They are similar to me. Too much "I love you"-crap and Bond doesn´t get the girl in the end. Bond is also crying in these movies only (although Lazenby hides it).

Have you listened to the reviewer above? If not you should have a listen. He says (rightly) a slower pace works very well.
    21 out of 22.

It's at #22 for me, bottom of the barrel! Good to see someone else shares my viewpoint!
    I only like CR less. They are similar to me. Too much "I love you"-crap and Bond doesn´t get the girl in the end. Bond is also crying in these movies only (although Lazenby hides it).

Yeah, I could do without the mushy love junk, it just makes a Bond movie drag tremendously, and I don't watch Bond movies for love stuff, but for the action, danger, and excitement.
    00Beast wrote:
    21 out of 22.

It's at #22 for me, bottom of the barrel! Good to see someone else shares my viewpoint!

Yeah, I could do without the mushy love junk, it just makes a Bond movie drag tremendously, and I don't watch Bond movies for love stuff, but for the action, danger, and excitement.

You got it right, my friend.

00Beast wrote:
    21 out of 22.

You got it right, my friend.

Now I've got to know, where's GoldenEye on your rankings?
    In the middle. I like it more than GF. It was the movie that turned me into a Bond fan.
    In the middle. I like it more than GF. It was the movie that turned me into a Bond fan.

GoldenEye is proudly my Number 1!
    I still like it but when I was 8 it was the coolest thing ever. Same with the game.
    I still like it but when I was 8 it was the coolest thing ever. Same with the game.

It is the coolest thing ever! Interestingly enough, it's not what turned me into a Bond fan, I just love it a lot. My Bond-turning experience was with 007 Nightfire, aka the world's greatest game of all time!
    That was the coolest thing in early 2004, when I first played it.
    So many of you have said it all. I agree with most of you.
    Overrated? No at best the movie is underrated and not given the props it rightly deserves.
    I agree with the youtube review posted by Bain. the films is well polished and a fine work of art. Also It closed out an era of Bond (the Sixties) and following this film we got the seventies: reworked earlier films, light hearted tongue in cheek approach, Bond following trends instead of setting trends, and 007 "by the numbers."

The 70´s was the golden decade for Bond.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I understand maybe someone not liking OHMSS for some points but the score is not that good? As some have already said not only is this by far Barry's best score it's one of the finest scores period, I can't think of a better action cue in any film ever.

Yes their might be some better action adventure films out there but the score no chance, not even John Williams can top this in my book.
    The 70´s was the golden decade for Bond.

That is half-way correct, and I say half-way only because I really like the '80s Bond movies and the '90s, from 1981-1999 is what I'd consider the Golden Era. Still, you've got a point, because DAF, LALD, TSWLM come from the '70s, as do TMWTGG and MR, which I've started to become more fond of.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited March 2012 Posts: 9,117
    00Beast wrote:
    It is the coolest thing ever! Interestingly enough, it's not what turned me into a Bond fan, I just love it a lot. My Bond-turning experience was with 007 Nightfire, aka the world's greatest game of all time!

I think this just about sums up the level of debate we have been dragged into. Not even the greatest Bond game of all time FFS.

Is there any possibility of setting up some sort of online Bond competency test to allow people access to the forums?

Question 1 - Have you ever read an Ian Fleming Bond novel?
    Yes - welcome friend and lets discuss all things Bondian.
    No - Then jog on. I'm sure theres plenty of Transformers forums you would be welcome on. This is a Bond forum for Bond people. Theres nothing for you here.