On Her Majesty's Secret Service- Very overrated?

Comments

I think OHMSS is overrated as hell. It's boring to watch and the love story is horrible! We need a villain who wants to destroy the world, i.e. a megalomaniac. A real popcorn movie without a crappy love story. I want Bond to be cool, like Moore and Brosnan. It's one of the worst Bond movies ever. What were they thinking?

Indeed. This is my twin brother gentlemen. He is gonna help me to convince you what Bond is about.
    And now he is about to get his account deleted, because we have the same IP-adress. This also happened at CBn. I have even told you about it before.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 6,677
    The movies are enough? Are you bonkers? What Bond is all about is the novels, not the films. Credit due to the first 4 and OHMSS, they´re wonderful, but the rest aren´t Bond, they´re cinema Bond, an all different subject. Truth of it all is, Bond is Fleming´s Bond, everything else is just garbage. Fun garbage, cool garbage, even superb garbage sometimes, but garbage compared to the Fleming novels.

Some of you young fellas say you´re not much of a book reader without really understanding that the fact you don´t read just makes you plain dumb and ignorant. And if you choose to be so, it reflects even more your sheer stupidity.

Now go and watch your DADs and Glee´s and Grey´s Anatomys and Avatars and all that sh*t. Smile like you mean it boys, Yo Mommas all the way. Bad parenting I´d say, all of ya.

There, rant over. I just hate people who proudly say they don´t read. Damn idiots,
    Univex wrote:
    The movies are enough? Are you bonkers? What Bond is all about is the novels, not the films. Credit due to the first 4 and OHMSS, they´re wonderful, but the rest aren´t Bond, they´re cinema Bond, an all different subject. Truth of it all is, Bond is Fleming´s Bond, everything else is just garbage. Fun garbage, cool garbage, even superb garbage sometimes, but garbage compared to the Fleming novels.
    Then I love to eat out of trash cans. But you gotta admit that the movies that are not similar to novels are better than a movie like OHMSS. Cinema Bond rules!
  • Univex wrote:

Some of you young fellas say you´re not much of a book reader without really understanding that the fact you don´t read just makes you plain dumb and ignorant. And if you choose to be so, it reflects even more your sheer stupidity.

Now go and watch your DADs and Glee´s and Grey´s Anatomys and Avatars and all that sh*t. Smile like you mean it boys, Yo Mommas all the way. Bad parenting I´d say, all of ya.

There, rant over. I just hate people who proudly say they don´t read. Damn idiots,

What is your problem? I respect your opinion,at least you could respect others. You don't need to call us idiots. I read books, but I haven't read Bond books. Why do you get so angry? You just make others irritated this way, you might as well log out and do something else than writing angry messages.
    Univex wrote:

Hey, I´d never watch Grey´s Anatomy or Avatar. And what is Glee?
    The only thing I watch is Bond, atleast when I´m alone. Watching other movies doesn´t happen often.

But you gotta admit that the movies that are not similar to novels are better than a movie like OHMSS.
    OHMSS is brilliant!

Univex wrote:
    But you gotta admit that the movies that are not similar to novels are better than a movie like OHMSS.
    OHMSS is brilliant!

Sure, but what does that say about the others? That TMWTGG is a more than brilliant.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited March 2012 Posts: 28,694
    I think OHMSS is overrated as hell. It's boring to watch and the love story is horrible! We need a villain who wants to destroy the world, i.e. a megalomaniac. A real popcorn movie without a crappy love story. I want Bond to be cool, like Moore and Brosnan. It's one of the worst Bond movies ever. What were they thinking?

Indeed. This is my twin brother gentlemen. He is gonna help me to convince you what Bond is about.
    And now he is about to get his account deleted, because we have the same IP-adress. This also happened at CBn. I have even told you about it before.

Holy crap he is actually your twin. :-O Awesome!
    Univex wrote:

Damn. I was just teasing when I said read the novels, but you took it and escalated it. Neither @007RogerMoore or @Crab_Of_Doom said "proudly" that they don't read the novels/books in general. Though I agree everyone should read, (especially the old classics circa 1800-1950) calling them ignorant idiots and insulting their intelligence doesn't sit well with me. I am not a fan of their opinions either, but I don't call them a waste of brain matter. They like what they like, no matter how barking mad they look, and stand up for their opinions expecting to be criticized negatively. That's dedication, and for that I have to commend them.
    Univex wrote:

There's no need to react like that. I've read (most of) the books and seen the films despite the fact I'm not a huge reader normally (but I do go through phases at times).

Do yourself a favour, don't call people dumb or stupid just because they don't live up to your implied superior intellect. If they don't want to read thats their loss. You don't need to be a prat and get nasty.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Univex wrote:
    OHMSS is brilliant!

And now we're suddenly happy again. Bipolar much?? And not an ounce of apology.
    Univex wrote:
    OHMSS is brilliant!
    Sure, but what does that say about the others? That TMWTGG is a more than brilliant.
    I love TMWTGG.

Holy crap he is actually your twin. :-O Awesome!
    Univex wrote:

Damn. I was just teasing when I said read the novels, but you took it and escalated it. Neither @007RogerMoore or @Crab_Of_Doom said "proudly" that they don't read the novels/books in general. Though I agree everyone should read, especially the old classics circa 1800-1950, but calling them ignorant idiots and insulting their intelligence doesn't sit well with me. I am not a fan of their opinions either, but I don't call them a waste of brain matter. They like what they like, no matter how barking mad they look, and stand up for their opinions expecting to be criticized negatively. That's dedication, and for that I have to commend them.

OMG, Brady is backing me up. Thank you. And BTW, he is my twin, 10 minutes older than me. Dedication to the movie Bond is my thing.

^
    10 minutes! Wow. So do you two share the same opinions on Bond from favorite Bond to film?? That'd be weirdly cool.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 1,082
    No, I like MR more than he does. And he likes FRWL more than I do. Our opinions are still very similar.
  • Opions vary somewhat. But I also like Moore the most. The reason I like TMWTGG is probably because 007RogerMoore watches it a lot. Before I thought it was pretty good, but after all viewings I have started to like it a lot and I feel ''familiar'' in it.
    Jeez you guys sure take it personally. Good for you. BTW, here´s a disclaimer: It is my personal opinion that people who don´t read/don´t like to read are stupid. I never once called anyone stupid here. Those who took it personally should look into that. I don´t have the time, inclination or patience required for that. Besides, a rant is a rant. Get over it. Bye bye gents. Have fun.
    Don´t forget that you got sick of it for a while (TMWTGG I mean).
    No, I like MR more than he does. And he likes FRWL with love more than I do. Our opinions are still very similar.
    Opions vary somewhat. But I also like Moore the most. The reason I like TMWTGG is probably because 007RogerMoore watches it a lot. Before I thought it was pretty good, but after all viewings I have started to like it a lot and I feel ''familiar'' in it.

You have to be able to finish each others sentences too, right?? /:)
    Univex wrote:
    Jeez you guys sure take it personally. Good for you. BTW, here´s a disclaimer: It is my personal opinion that people who don´t read/don´t like to read are stupid. I never once called anyone stupid here. Those who took it personally should look into that. I don´t have the time, inclination or patience required for that. Besides, a rant is a rant. Get over it. Bye bye gents. Have fun.

No hard feelings from my part. It´s perfectly fine for you to express your opinion.

• edited March 2012 Posts: 6,677
    I read my rant again. That wasn´t really a rant, more like a rampage. Sorry for that. But I have to say I meant all of it. It just wasn´t aimed at any of you lot. Still, I stand by it.
    Univex wrote:
    There's a way of conveying an opinion without insulting everyone on a massive scale. You didn't call anyone stupid huh??
    Univex wrote:

You my friend are a liar.
    You read that as you? Personally? Wow.

And I´m crushed that you find me a liar. Crushed. Absolutely crushed. Positively crushed I´d say.
    Univex wrote:
    Univex wrote:
    OHMSS is brilliant!
    I love TMWTGG.

Do you? There is more to you than meets the eye, GoodUnivex.

Univex wrote:
    Univex wrote:
    OHMSS is brilliant!
    I love TMWTGG.

Do you? There is more to you than meets the eye, GoodUnivex.
    I do. Favourite Moore Bond. The novel is actually quite cool. But the film, thanks largely to Christopher Lee, is wonderful. Moore is still serious in it, as he was in LALD. I like it. Some classic scenes there. I love the Bond films. I just think the novels are superior.

On another note. You guys, and yes, NOW I mean YOU ...fanatic, should loosen up. Insults like that one, which was meant to be generic, are not important. I do respect your opinions. But what would a forum be If I couldn´t say I think some of them are purely cr*ap. You probably think mine are as well, if you´re being honest. So do please be free to say that me loving OHMSS is utter cr*ap. I´ll have no problem with it. Heck, me and DC007 do it all the time with each other. It´s fun. All fun and games chaps.
    Univex wrote:
    You read that as you? Personally? Wow.

And I´m crushed that you find me a liar. Crushed. Absolutely crushed. Positively crushed I´d say.

No I read it as an attack on others. I'm young, but I am of the dying breed that loves old films and classic literature. Hard not to take that personally, but just like you think that people that don't read are ignorant, you are ignorant in the same token of being civil.
    Bah, you just wanna pick a fight. I bet you think people who don´t like to read are stupid as well ;) And yes, you are young. Good to see that, at least, you are civil. And that you like old films and literature. I find no reason for a fight here.
    Univex wrote:
    Bah, you just wanna pick a fight. I bet you think people who don´t like to read are stupid as well ;) And yes, you are young. Good to see that, at least, you are civil. And that you like old films and literature. I find no reason for a fight here.

I face-palm all the time when I hear people say "who's Humphrey Bogart, Frank Sinatra, Marilyn Monroe, Dean Martin, Cary Grant, Alfred Hitchcock, Gregory Peck, etc." "Who's Dumas, Stevenson, Wells, FLEMING, etc." grinds my gears to. And as much as I want to scream at the top of my lungs, I just sulk and lose faith in my generation.
    Univex wrote:

I face-palm all the time when I hear people say "who's Humphrey Bogart, Frank Sinatra, Marilyn Monroe, Dean Martin, Cary Grant, Alfred Hitchcock, Gregory Peck, etc." "Who's Dumas, Stevenson, Wells, FLEMING, etc." grinds my gears to. And as much as I want to scream at the top of my lungs, I just sulk and lose faith in my generation.

You shouldn´t sulk. Have a rant. It´s good fun. Trust me, I´ve been around for over ten years. Ignorance gets tiresome. Seriously, have a rant once in a while. I´ll cheer. I promise.

Good show my friend. Just don´t call me a liar again...please, that, I take personally;)

You´re ok.
    Univex wrote:
    Univex wrote:

You shouldn´t sulk. Have a rant. It´s good fun. Trust me, I´ve been around for over ten years. Ignorance gets tiresome. Seriously, have a rant once in a while. I´ll cheer. I promise.

Good show my friend. Just don´t call me a liar again...please, that, I take personally;)

You´re ok.

I do rant, but in the privacy of Microsoft Word. My apologies for being out of line, you were right to take it personally. You are ok too, my friend. ;)
    Univex wrote:

Same here, our generation has no taste in music whatsoever. They think "artists" like Adele, Usher, and LMFAO are better than the '60s-'80s classics like Foreigner, Rush, Rolling Stones, Van Halen, etc. It's a crying shame, really.