Would Goldeneye have been a success with Dalton?

Comments

• acoppola wrote:
    The better question is, if he hadn’t been tied-down by his Remington Steel contract, how much better would TLD and LTK have been with Brozzer in them? I wager to say quite a lot!
    <center>commandowrong.gif</center>

:))

That's clever but the question still remains, and I think its a serious one. It's a lot like how they wanted Roger to go first but he was tied up my his involvement with The Saint so they stuck with Sean. With Pierce, EON began courting him even before Roger was finished, but he was caught up in Remington Steel so they went with Tim. The difference is that in the first case I believe that things worked out very much for the better, while in the latter case it would have been better if that could have traded a season or two of a good TV show for one great Bond movie...
  • Well I haven't seen Taffin or Live Wire, which I've heard to be terrible-- but I have seen The Fourth Protocol which was circa TLD, and if he played Bond like that I admit he'd have been pretty damn good.
    I wouldn't want to miss Dalton though
  • Damn-- here he is more or less around when GoldenEye was filmed:

tumblr_m0ax3aiRef1qmc0ojo1_500.jpg

Looks more badass there than in his Bond movies! What a pity.... :-/
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Damn-- here he is more or less around when GoldenEye was filmed:

Go ahead, make me cry.
    =((
  • chrisisall wrote:
    Go ahead, make me cry.
    =((
    Indeed-- he looks like he just finished his awesome fight with OO6 at the end.... :((
    And we have only Rocketeer (bad Dalton), Looney Toons Back In Action (good Dalton) & season 4 of CHUCK (bad Dalton) for Dalton spy-bada*s consolation... 8->
  • chrisisall wrote:

Go ahead, make me cry.
    =((

Man up!
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited November 2012 Posts: 1,243
    chrisisall wrote:
    And we have only Rocketeer (bad Dalton), Looney Toons Back In Action (good Dalton) & season 4 of CHUCK (bad Dalton) for Dalton spy-bada*s consolation... 8->

Watch him in Framed. He plays a sleazy criminal. He is great in that and Penelope Cruz is the woman in his life. Not bad I would say. Oh and when he does the bank robbery he looks like the ultimate Bond.

He had plenty to add the franchise and just got fed up with waiting as well as studio politics.

We lost Dalton and as a result we got the journey that would lead to DAD. Losing Dalton to me was as bad as losing Craig after QOS.

• If Craig left I wouldn't be as let down as I was when Dalton left.

I'm suprised I liked Brosnans Bond once I saw him because leading up to GE I hated him. Some people judged Craig before he was Bond, I judged Brosnan.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    If Craig left I wouldn't be as let down as I was when Dalton left.

I'm suprised I liked Brosnans Bond once I saw him because leading up to GE I hated him. Some people judged Craig before he was Bond, I judged Brosnan.

I was very young when Dalton quit. It gutted me immensely because I always assumed he would at least do a few more films after the lawsuit. I don't think we will get a Bond exactly like his ever again. I mean the look and everything. It is from a bygone era and the world is different now.

But demand in my opinion outweighs supply as he did only two. So for those who like his films, they will value them higher.

I was hostile to Brosnan as I wanted Dalton in those films and it took me ages to calm down. Maybe that is why I am harsher on the Broz occasionally. Had Broz came after 3 or 4 Dalton films, I would have been cool about it more.

• edited November 2012 Posts: 4,813
    acoppola wrote:
    I was hostile to Brosnan as I wanted Dalton in those films and it took me ages to calm down. Maybe that is why I am harsher on the Broz occasionally. Had Broz came after 3 or 4 Dalton films, I would have been cool about it more.
    Aw remember the teaser trailer for GoldenEye-- when the shadowy Bond figure came into the light and was revealed to be Brosnan? And the line '....You were expecting someone else?'

LOW BLOW!!

I was playing with Barbie dolls when Dalton left. Had no idea about Bond or anything related. Bond started with Brosnan to me... Dalton was just this "rebel, dark Bond" spoken about in hush tones around the house as I grew up. And then... The guy in Beautician and the Beast which I went to see at the movies with my teenybopper friends. We were heavily into The Nanny back then. And when we left the cinema we were like... Oh the dictator was hot, in a we have weird older man crushes don't we kind of way (*shakes head*). And that's when I first really became acquainted with Dalton. I hate that it took me sooo bloody long to discover Dalton as Bond. I can only imagine how it would have been to discover him when he was Bond. I would have loved him I'm sure.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Let's put it in perspective, that's Dalton at the time of GE, and here he is at the time of DAD:

timothy-dalton.jpg?d=600

:-w
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Wow Dalton Aged better than Brosnan did. :O
    here he is at the time of DAD:

timothy-dalton.jpg?d=600

:-w
    Works for me.

• edited November 2012 Posts: 4,813
    Damnit-- if only we could time travel and convince Dalton to wait just a bit longer....

<center>"WE HAVE TO GO BACK"

doc-brown-explains-1982.jpg?w=640</center>
    You're the Dahark, Dahark.
    Damnit-- if only we could time travel and convince Dalton to wait just a bit longer....

<center>"WE HAVE TO GO BACK"

doc-brown-explains-1982.jpg?w=640</center>

LOL!
    But GoldenEye was a masterpiece and wouldn't be the same without Pierce. :(

However...we could go back and take McClory's rights and give them to EoN preventing the 6 year lawsuit and have Dalton make 2 more Bond movies, then go to 2002 and hide Lee Tamahori some place nobody where nobody will ask him to direct DAD.
    Murdock wrote:
    Just ONE more Dalton before Goldeneye... no time paradox, I swear!
    chrisisall wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    Just ONE more Dalton before Goldeneye... no time paradox, I swear!

Okay, let's see.

Colonel Sun 1991
    and
    Risico 1993!

:D
    Dalton in Colonel Sun... the mind reels.... =;
  • Now all we have to do is go back in time and have Cubby get Tim to sign a contract for AVTAK during the shooting of OP.
  • chrisisall wrote:
    Dalton in Colonel Sun... the mind reels.... =;

That would have been something, I agree.

• LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    00beast : "You took the words right out of my mouth ! " :p
  • I believe Goldeneye would have been a success with Timothy Dalton as James Bond. I know everybody has their opinions about Timothy Dalton as 007. Timothy Dalton as James Bond was dark & I believe it would have worked for Goldeneye.

• Artistically? Yes, without a doubt. Critically? Yes, on the whole. Financially? Probably not, when compared to Brosnan's version.

In my (rather biased, it has to be said) opinion, GE would have been significantly improved by Dalton's presence, and would have completed a magnificent trilogy for him. It really is a crying shame that fate conspired to deny him the chance to prove, once and for all, that he IS James Bond.
  • Artistically? Yes, without a doubt. Critically? Yes, on the whole. Financially? Probably not, when compared to Brosnan's version.

In my (rather biased, it has to be said) opinion, GE would have been significantly improved by Dalton's presence, and would have completed a magnificent trilogy for him. It really is a crying shame that fate conspired to deny him the chance to prove, once and for all, that he IS James Bond.

First of all, let me say that the one and only title of 'James Bond' belongs to none other than sir Sean Connery, not a theater crazy thesp named Tim Daltz!

Second, Pierce is an important part of the Bond film history because he was the first to bring back some of the magical charisma that Sean had in his original films. Dalton was a direct copy of Fleming’s character from the novels and did as much as he could to distance himself from Sean’s portrayal. However, Sean was the quintessential James Bond which we all came to know and love, and Pierce is just a copy of Sean and Roger put together. Tim is for Fleming lovers, while Sean is for film lovers!
  • Tim is for Fleming lovers, while Sean is for film lovers!

I prefer the films and Dalton is my favourite.

Like I've said before, I think the The Living Daylights PTS proves that Dalton could do cinema Bond better than anyone else, and as well as having all the usual charisma, one liners and gadgets he also bought sort of a darkness to it.
    GE would have been better with TD, but still not great. The story and script are still pretty bad and the score is dreadful. Even the Daltinator couldn't have changed that. I'd have liked to see him make two Cubby Bonds in the early 90s. Once Cubby died EON lost it and only began to get things back on track with CR.