Would Goldeneye have been a success with Dalton?

Comments

• BAIN123 wrote:
    It sounds like the kind of line that would be in a standard revenge movie of that period.
    I disagree, but again, different strokes.

• edited November 2012 Posts: 11,189
    BAIN123 wrote:
    It sounds like the kind of line that would be in a standard revenge movie of that period.

I do like the "I'd stick to flying if I were you" line though as well as the "more of a problem eliminator" moment.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    BAIN123 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

I do like the "I'd stick to flying if I were you" line though as well as the "more of a problem eliminator" moment.

Oh, problem eliminator is a badass line.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    LOL, I'm trying to imagine Dalton asking "Who's strangling the cat?" :-\"
  • I threw this together for you ;)

Acting101.jpg?t=1353015222
    Well brosnan DID get to have a lot of sex :(

Besides doesn't the same approach kind of apply to old George ;)
  • True--- But I wouldn't want Lazenby in GoldenEye either!
    edited November 2012 Posts: 1,243
    Dalton looks like a bastard which Bond is in that photo . He has a dangerous face. He has lived life and knows it. He also has the look of a man that could satisfy a woman in bed.

Why Brosnan thought that was the right image is anyone's guess. Obviously it was sanctioned and approved. That is the photo of a man who is broken easily.

But I do not think they would have used a photo like that for his casting as the Russian agent in The Fourth Protocol.
    That Brosnan pose looks more appropriate for The Matador :))
    BAIN123 wrote:
    That Brosnan pose looks more appropriate for The Matador :))

So much for the darker side of Bond being explored as he said in the GE conference. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Acting101.jpg?t=1353015222
    Oh now, is that fair? A good pic of Dalts & a goofy one of Broz...?
    But... the writing under the pictures is accurate I suppose...
    ;)
    When was that pic taken anyway?
    BAIN123 wrote:
    When was that pic taken anyway?

I assume it's for GE, but after he got his haircut post press conference.

• edited November 2012 Posts: 4,813
    Looks to be circa '94 or '95
    chrisisall wrote:
    On the one hand you're right-- but then again, while not every picture of Dalton is great- he doesn't have any Bond promo pictures where he's joking around and mugging for the camera [-(

*...not that I know of....
    edited November 2012 Posts: 17,691
    acoppola wrote:
    So much for the darker side of Bond being explored as he said in the GE conference.
    Pierce was the Bond I always wanted Roger to be (and saw glimpses of in TMWTGG, and some other spots). Perfect cinema hero Bond. In the mid-to-late nineties I was in Bond Heaven.
    Actually, I felt TWINE got a little dark, back then... LOL, NOW I feel TWINE was just TLD-LITE.
    Looks to be circa '94 or '95
    chrisisall wrote:
    On the one hand you're right-- but then again, while not every picture of Dalton is great- he doesn't have any Bond promo pictures where he's joking around and mugging for the camera [-(

That was a press photo to reassure that the serious approach was dead and buried.

chrisisall wrote:
    acoppola wrote:
    So much for the darker side of Bond being explored as he said in the GE conference.
    Pierce was the Bond I always wanted Roger to be (and saw glimpses of in TMWTGG, and some other spots). Perfect cinema hero Bond. In the mid-to-late nineties I was in Bond Heaven.
    Actually, I felt TWINE got a little dark, back then... LOL, NOW I feel TWINE was just TLD-LITE.

I don't blame Pierce for that photo but I doubt he would like it either now. Especially because he was replaced by Craig who has a harder look.

I admit hindsight is a wonderful thing and I am sure if Pierce could go back in time, he would have negotiated his position better with EON in terms of script and character.
    Pierce is a very fine looking man and all the more he needed to accentuate the darker persona to balance out the pretty boy image.

I admit I did enjoy Pierce's outings but with a major reservation. I always wanted him to embrace what Dalton started. And ironically had he done that and EON been smarter with his scripts, he would have stayed on as Bond until Maybe 2008 or even 2010.

while not every picture of Dalton is great- he doesn't have any Bond promo pictures where he's joking around and mugging for the camera
    Oh Master Dahark, tell me YOU wouldn't be goofing around like that if YOU got the role; I know I would!!
    Dalton was just being his 'serious actor' self... who wants a Shakespeare-level dude doing Bond anyway?

^joke
    In fairness there are plenty more serious poses of Brozza (both in his movies and as promotional photo's) where you feel he IS Bond rather than a parody. One thing I thought Broz was good at were his stern expressions. I like the moment in GE when he gets out the car in the statue park and calmly looks around. THAT is Bond.
    acoppola wrote:

I admit I did enjoy Pierce's outings but with a major reservation. I always wanted him to embrace what Dalton started.
    That would have been great, still, TODAY, I enjoy Pierce's first three as much or more than Connery's best (except possibly Dr. No- that one kicked a*s!!).
    BAIN123 wrote:
    In fairness there are more serious poses of Brozza (both in his movies and as promotional photo's) where you feel he IS Bond. One thing I thought Broz was good at was his stern expressions. I like the moment in GE when he gets out the car in the statue park and calmly looks around. THAT is Bond.

I have to be fair and say you are right. Serious actually suits Brosnan so well. And of course he has amazing photos as Bond.

chrisisall wrote:
    acoppola wrote:

I admit I did enjoy Pierce's outings but with a major reservation. I always wanted him to embrace what Dalton started.
    That would have been great, still, TODAY, I enjoy Pierce's first three as much or more than Connery's best (except possibly Dr. No- that one kicked a*s!!).

Good that you do. I know Craig is the new flavour but I cannot forget how people loved Pierce in the role and sang his praises. He had an incredible image but they underused his acting sadly.

Had he had those elements of Dalton as well, he would have been getting the praise Craig is now. I mean that in a nice way to Pierce. He never saw that coming what is happening today with Bond.

BAIN123 wrote:
    I like the moment in GE when he gets out the car in the statue park and calmly looks around. THAT is Bond.
    A little seen Brosnan movie you should all take a look at- Seraphim Falls. THAT'S Pierce in no-eff-around mode. And a weird little movie in its own right. I hadda own it.
    chrisisall wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I like the moment in GE when he gets out the car in the statue park and calmly looks around. THAT is Bond.
    A little seen Brosnan movie you should all take a look at- Seraphim Falls. THAT'S Pierce in no-eff-around mode. And a weird little movie in its own right. I hadda own it.

I have seen it actually. Not bad.
  • I think I'm one of the few people on this site that actually full on likes Brosnans Bond. Dalton will always be my favourite but Brosnan was awesome too.
    Pierce and Moore's Bond movies are alike, you really really enjoyed them as a kid or a young teenager because of silly actions, gadgets, no complex dialogues or plot easy to follow....But when you are a grown up you prefer the older Connery's Bonds, Lazenby Dalton and Craig.
    maxcraig wrote:
    Pierce and Moore's Bond movies are alike, you really really enjoyed them as a kid or a young teenager because of silly actions, gadgets, no complex dialogues or plot easy to follow....But when you are a grown up you prefer the older Connery's Bonds, Lazenby Dalton and Craig.

I agree with that. Pierce ended up in the Roger Moore category, but he aimed for Connery and said so himself.

Ironically Brosnan in 1997 said Dalton was served badly by his scripts not realising he was getting ones that were underusing him. It's fine delivering a one liner, but you have to balance that out with Bond's dangerous side.

At least now Pierce has a greater understanding of why Dalton was the Bond he was.

• I will say it till the day I die: GoldenEye could have been Dalton's 'SkyFall'.

Returning after a long absence- and the script was completely made with him in mind. Just think about M warning him about 'taking it personal' (helloooooo, Licence to Kill reference!!!!) not to mention the girl 'evaluating' him at the beginning.
    Too many great moments to name!

GoldenEye should have been Dalton's last- and Tomorrow Never Dies should have been Brosnan's first.
    GoldenEye should have been Dalton's last- and Tomorrow Never Dies should have been Brosnan's first.
    Now I'm getting misty-eyed...
    I will say it till the day I die: GoldenEye could have been Dalton's 'SkyFall'.

Returning after a long absence- and the script was completely made with him in mind. Just think about M warning him about 'taking it personal' (helloooooo, Licence to Kill reference!!!!) not to mention the girl 'evaluating' him at the beginning.
    Too many great moments to name!

I totally agree. Dalton deserved that swan song just as much as Craig deserved Skyfall.

Goldeneye was written for Dalton and the M scene about the dinosaur would have suited his Bond more.

Part of me is still angry about the legal dispute which means the franchise will have that missing piece for me. Brosnan would have looked the perfect age as Bond in 1997. He has a younger face.

If I am totally honest, I prefer Dalton's and Brosnan's images as Bond in terms of look to Craig. That is not shallow but how I felt always and I doubt it will change.

Craig's hair looks like Tintin's in some Skyfall scenes and is way too short. Connery had longer hair that was slicked back. Craig looked good with his initial media shots of him as Bond before filming started for CR.

I would not want to see a Bond with shaved off hair either. But it could happen if fashions permit.