Rank the actors

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    For the record, I like all the Bonds and I think they all did/are doing a great job. I just like some more than others.

1) Dalton
    2) Brosnan/Craig (saw SF and now I can't make up my mind)
    3) Connery
    4) Moore
    5) Lazenby
    chrisM wrote:
    1 Dalton
    2 Craig
    3 Connery
    4 Brosnan
    5 Moore
    6 Lazenby

I like your choices, dudes!

=D>
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    So my list has changed, quite radically:

1. Sean Connery
    2. Daniel Craig
    3. Pierce Brosnan
    4. Timothy Dalton
    5. Roger Moore
    6. George Lazenby
  • SmithersSmithers Bandit Country
    = 1. Dalton/Craig (I have yet to see Skyfall - opinion may change)
    3. Connery
    4. Lazenby
    5. Brosnan
    6. Moore

(However, the one I would most like to have dinner with is Moore as I think he would be the most interesting!) - Should this become a new thread I wonder?
  • Smithers wrote:
    (However, the one I would most like to have dinner with is Moore as I think he would be the most interesting!) - Should this become a new thread I wonder?

They do have a 'which Bond would you have a drink with' thread :)
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/4222/which-bond-would-you-most-like-to-have-a-pint-with/p1
  • SmithersSmithers Bandit Country
    Thanks for that Master_Dark.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    6) Pierce Brosnan (world's most over-rated James Bond)
    5) George Lazenby (Only one awesome movie. Better than one OK movie and another 3 crappy ones)
    4) Roger Moore (His age is a problem. Then again, you wouldn't have Mickey Flannagan in a 007 movie)
    3) Daniel Craig (The most Fleming James Bond. And who doesn't like Fleming? Only problem is his muscly chest)
    2) Sean Connery (Iconic, in Goldfinger, best moments)
    1) Timothy Dalton (My personal Favourite. Also, the most intelligent. Won't just get in bed with Xenia Onnatopp like the others on this list)
  • I've changed my list.

1) Dalton
    2) Connery/Brosnan
    3) Craig/Moore
    4) Lazenby
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    1) Sean Connery
    2) Daniel Craig
    3) Timothy Dalton
    4) George Lazenby
    5) Roger Moore
    6) Pierce Brosnan
    1. Pierce Brosnan
    2. Roger Moore
    3. Timothy Dalton
    4. Sean Connery
    5. Daniel Craig
    6. George Lazenby
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    I will say this, all the Bonds have their uniqueness and own style. Though when Brosnan played Bond, I assumed by what others told me that he would be rated as highly as Connery. Wow are the media fickle. They hardly talk about him now, yet at the time, they were falling over themselves to praise him. Strange world and a lesson to never believe the hype if you are a Bond actor. The hype can be your downfall in the role and you may take it too easy.
  • Haven't done one in a while, what the hell....

*bearing in mind I still haven't seen SkyFall*

1- Dalton
    2- Connery
    3- Craig
    4- Moore
    5- Brosnan
    6- Lazenby

Lazenby could have easily been higher had he done more movies-- just look at how Moore's interpretation was finally perfected by his third movie and you'll see how Lazenby certainly had potential to improve.
    Connery would also have been my #1 had he stopped with Thunderball.
    Also Brosnan actually went up a notch since my last ranking!
  • 1. Sean Connery (The greatest and just untouchable in every way, simply nailed the role)
    2. Timothy Dalton (His depth, passion and focus for the role was clearly evident. Had such a clear vision for the Bond he wanted to be)
    3. Daniel Craig (Superb start and potential to move to number two)
    4. George Lazenby (loved OHMSS did a great job in the love scenes and fight scenes, would have been great in Diamonds are Forever)
    5. Pierce Brosnan (Solid start in Goldeneye but faded badly as the films got worse possibly suffered from poor scripts)
    6. Roger Moore (Too funny)
    Why does everyone rank Moore and Brosnan so low? Their Bonds are so vibrant and full of energy! They radiate with color and fun, and are also not afraid to show the dark side when necessary, so you get a nice balance! I'm sure this will seem contraversial, but I for one kind of think that Connery is really over-rated. I mean, to be fully honest, often times he gets really boring.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 4,813
    00Beast wrote:
    Why does everyone rank Moore and Brosnan so low?
    As awesome as he is, Moore unfortunately has a reputation as 'the old Bond'. If I had my way, I'd have him take over for YOLT in 1967- then give him a killer Blofeld TRILOGY, and maybe end a few movies sooner (maybe stay for Octopussy)

Brosnan is better than the movies he was in-- but it is what it is....
    To his credit, I did rank TND much higher than before after a recent viewing! :-bd
    00Beast wrote:
    Why does everyone rank Moore and Brosnan so low?
    As awesome as he is, Moore unfortunately has a reputation as 'the old Bond'. If I had my way, I'd have him take over for YOLT in 1967- then give him a killer Blofeld TRILOGY, and maybe end a few movies sooner (maybe stay for Octopussy)

Brosnan is better than the movies he was in-- but it is what it is....
    To his credit, I did rank TND much higher than before after a recent viewing! :-bd

As well you should! It is that good! I've always held GE and TND in high regards as the best of Brosnan.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    acoppola wrote:
    I will say this, all the Bonds have their uniqueness and own style. Though when Brosnan played Bond, I assumed by what others told me that he would be rated as highly as Connery. Wow are the media fickle. They hardly talk about him now, yet at the time, they were falling over themselves to praise him. Strange world and a lesson to never believe the hype if you are a Bond actor. The hype can be your downfall in the role and you may take it too easy.

Not sure if I agree. Brosnan was loved at the time because during that period Bond movies were money-making cheesy fluffs where mediocrity became the accepted and expected standard which Brosnan excelled at. Bond movies in the Brosnan era could never attract the talent of what we have in the Craig era and that's because creatively the series has stepped it's game up abd proved that these movies can and should be more than the empty generic thrills of the Brisnan era. 2006 came along and Craig redefined the game. Craig was the one that needed coaxing into accepting the role because even he didn't want to make these movies if they were going to continue in the same direction that the Brosnan eta carved out.

People are treated to a better product now, one that they didn't see coming and because Craig has made the role his own in such a domineering way, it's no surprise that Brosnan is hardly mentioned but I think it's fair to say he hasn't been forgotten because many people are still begging for some key elements that had a significant presence from the previous era.
  • 1) Connery
    2)Brosnan
    3)Craig (if Skyfall is as good as I have heard) (if not switch pos with Moore)
    4)Moore
    5) Dalton
    6)Lazenby
    Voyager007 wrote:
    1) Connery
    2)Brosnan
    4)Moore
    5) Dalton
    6)Lazenby

Thank you for at least having Brosnan in second place! Nice to see some Brosnan support!
    Voyager007 wrote:
    1) Connery
    2)Brosnan
    4)Moore
    5) Dalton
    6)Lazenby

Dalton is WAY too low, have you seen his movies in THIS century?
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited November 2012 Posts: 1,243
    doubleoego wrote:
    acoppola wrote:

Not sure if I agree. Brosnan was loved at the time because during that period Bond movies were money-making cheesy fluffs where mediocrity became the accepted and expected standard which Brosnan excelled at. Bond movies in the Brosnan era could never attract the talent of what we have in the Craig era and that's because creatively the series has stepped it's game up abd proved that these movies can and should be more than the empty generic thrills of the Brisnan era. 2006 came along and Craig redefined the game. Craig was the one that needed coaxing into accepting the role because even he didn't want to make these movies if they were going to continue in the same direction that the Brosnan eta carved out.

People are treated to a better product now, one that they didn't see coming and because Craig has made the role his own in such a domineering way, it's no surprise that Brosnan is hardly mentioned but I think it's fair to say he hasn't been forgotten because many people are still begging for some key elements that had a significant presence from the previous era.

My point was about the hype of the Brosnan era and how many in the media said he was up there with Connery and how Bonds like Moore or Dalton will be forgotten. So much for that, because the Craig era has made some fans go back and check out Dalton who is way closer than Brosnan to the harder edge we have now.

Yes, the Craig era was the game changer and showed that in Brosnan's last two movies he took it too easy. Also my point was aimed at how no Bond actor should ever believe the media one way or another. They can change their mind overnight.

Where Craig has been smart is that he knows the fickleness of the business and is not playing the role just to look good or be popular. He wants to make good films and off screen does not pretend like he is James Bond.

And he is under no illusion that the spotlight will go to the future actors playing Bond.

• MrBondMrBond Station S
    Quite a lot's have changed since last i made a list ( March 2012 )
    Brosnan has dropped from place 1 to three and Craig has rised from place 3 to 2.

1) Connery
    2) Craig
    3) Brosnan
    4) Dalton
    5) Moore
    6) Lazenby
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Craig
    Brosnan
    Conney
    Dalton
    Moore
    Lazenby
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 18
    Each actor brought something good to the role and each one made at least one good Bond picture. I think we come to our favorites based on our age and associations. I.e. Connery was my dad's Bond and because we want dad's approval we like what our dad thought was cool. Moore was my era's Bond. I was born in the mid seventies so the movies that made the most profound impact on me were Empire, Raiders, The Wrath of Khan, and FYEO and Octopussy. Moore hooked me on Bond and so I went back and bought all the previous ones on VHS and found an affinity for Connery's Bond too. When Moore got too old I was just happy they would keep the series going and I remember being maybe 12 and seeing TLD in the theater and the PTS got me buying Dalton as the new Bond right away though there would never be the same nostalgia as there was for Moore and Connery. I remember thinking GE was a great action movie but for me the magic started to go in the Brosnan era, mostly because my tastes and interests started to change as I became a man. I became more interested in emulating Bond by chasing skirts than by nerding out on fantasy. But the gritty realism and physical toughness as well as the damaged quality of Craigs Bond has renewed my interest as I approach something comparable to Bond's age. Bond is no longer a father hero figure to me, rather he is a man whose struggles and adventures I relate to (minus the killing).

Separating my own nostalgia and being objective is very difficult. I think Connery will forever be the face I see when someone says James Bond. He invented the role. He's charming, and a brute, and a mans man. Period. I guess Craig is #2 for me right now.
    Dalton and Moore are tied for 3rd and Lazenby and Brosnan are tied for 4th.
  • 1. Connery
    2. Craig
    3. Dalton
    4. Moore
    5. Brosnan
    6. Lazenby
  • Sean
    Daniel
    Pierce
    Roger
    George
    Timmy
    edited November 2012 Posts: 17,691
    robotsrule wrote:
    I became more interested in emulating Bond by chasing skirts than by nerding out on fantasy.
    If chasing skirts is a goal, Brosnan's way is the way to go...

:))
    1. Dalton
    2. Craig
    3. Connery
    4. Lazenby
    5. Moore
    6. Brosnen
    MrSpy wrote:
    6. Brosnan
    Dalton is #1 no doubt, Brozzer last? No way.
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 1,310
    After my 24 day Bond-a-thon including Skyfall...

1. Daniel Craig
    Skyfall secured the #1 spot for Daniel Craig, who had always been second only to Sean Connery when CR debuted. Craig is a phenomenal actor and he brings his talents directly to the Bond character. He is the realest, most human and believable Bond to me. At the same time he IS completely natural at delivering humor, quips and charm. Great physicality, too; I honestly believe every stunt and fight (unlike some other Bonds, ahem, Roger Moore). Does he look like James Bond is supposed to? Probably not. Yet Daniel Craig is my favorite James Bond.

2. Sean Connery
    Always was my number one choice, and I'll admit I felt slightly awkward placing Danny above Sean, but alas. Anyway, Connery is the epitome of cool. He is 100% natural in the role and his mixture of occasional flippancy and deadly charm is just excellent. I don't think we'll ever have a Bond as charming or sophisticated as Sean Connery. He also has an incredible screen presence and spectacular physicality. Even when Connery wasn't at the top of his game (a la YOLT), he still made for a convincing James Bond and that's saying something.

3. Timothy Dalton
    I've always been a fan of Dalton's brooding Bond, even though he would occasionally balk at a one liner (which may have partially been a script issue). But Dalton is great at the dramatics, and his deadly serious Bond makes for some great character encounters. The scene between him and General Pushkin in TLD is superb and Dalton showed that his Bond wasn't going to take any nonsense. I would've been very interested in a third Dalton film.

4. Lazenby/Moore/Brosnan (tie)
    I spent quite a long time with this group. Every time I thought I had the order down, another trait popped up in my head that moved the order around once again.

George Lazenby gave a somewhat mixed performance (he occasionally struggles in OHMSS), but was a good fighter and was 100% convincing during his final scene as Bond. I think with a couple more films, Lazenby would have become a very good James Bond.

Roger Moore's overt flippancy is sometimes to much for me, and his mannerisms can get a little tiresome. However, he possessed great charm and sophistication. He also could be serious when he wanted to be later in his Bond career - for example, kicking Locque's car in FYEO and his confrontation with Orlov in OP. I think Roger Moore's real problem was his lack of physicality - I rarely believed his stunts.

Pierce Brosnan is perhaps the most mixed for me. In GoldenEye, he really wasn't much of anything (Sean Bean upstages him in every scene they share) but he did have a very good film surrounding him. Brosnan had a little more fun in TND and it showed. TND wasn't as good as GE, but it sufficed and Brosnan seemed comfortable. Then TWINE came along, and something happened. Brosnan's TWINE performance is bad; he tries to act tough, and mean and completely fails ("Knew all about my shuuuuulderrr"). Brosnan somewhat returns to form in DAD, although the script does its best to convince us that he's a creepy, sleazy spy who loves to joke about his boners. For me, the only consistently good performance Brosnan delivered was in TND.
  • 1.) Sir Thomas Sean Connery
    2.) Pierce Brendan Brosnan
    3.) Daniel Wroughton Craig
    4.) Timothy Peter Dalton
    5.) Sir Roger George Moore
    6.) George Robert Lazenby

If Skyfall is good, Craig will definitely be moved to number 2.

Can see what you mean...Craig is fifth at the moment, directly behind Brosnan on my list...all Skyfall needs to do is be average at worst and he will take 4th spot in my rankings....think he will do it ;)

1.) Sir Thomas Sean Connery
    2.) Daniel Wroughton Craig
    3.) Pierce Brendan Brosnan
    4.) Timothy Peter Dalton
    5.) Sir Roger George Moore
    6.) George Robert Lazenby

I can now confirm that Daniel Craig is indeed my 2nd favorite Bond.