The TIMOTHY DALTON Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

How does LTK look in blu ray? I cant afford the box set yet. Years ago I got LTK on blu but it would not play on my PS3 because it was locked to another region.

Doing my annual Bond-A-Thon right now, watching TB. Check out Blu-Ray.com for a reivew of LTK. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Licence-to-Kill-Blu-ray/3188/

They give the video a 4.5/5 and the audio a 3.5/5 so pretty solid. When I get to it next week I'll see if it's justified.
  • SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    BAIN123 wrote:
    "I think Bond had a lot of that (grittiness) in the beginning, then it sort of was lost then it came back again with Timothy Dalton" - Daniel Craig

"Timothy played it right down the f***ing line there" - Pierce Brosnan

:D

I love Dalton. You know, on Bond VS Bond on YouTube, Timothy Dalton ALWAYS gets killed off! I, personally, think he would be second only to Daniel Craig in a battle.

Dalton was the only Bond that just got the job done. no charm no swagger no messing just out and out plain old school violence no frills Bond. (Bond having a bad day)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    acoppola wrote:

I once remember a butt ugly woman telling me Dalton was unattractive but she liked Connery. And I said to her though flattering for Connery, I doubt he would want to share a bed with her. Sow the wind and reap the whirlwind my dear!

So you were just rude to some poor woman just because she didn't agree with you about Timothy Dalton?

You'd better learn to accept a few differing opinions on here my friend.
  • acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited November 2012 Posts: 1,243
    NicNac wrote:
    acoppola wrote:

I once remember a butt ugly woman telling me Dalton was unattractive but she liked Connery. And I said to her though flattering for Connery, I doubt he would want to share a bed with her. Sow the wind and reap the whirlwind my dear!

So you were just rude to some poor woman just because she didn't agree with you about Timothy Dalton?

You'd better learn to accept a few differing opinions on here my friend.

Were you there? Did you know her personally and know what she was like as a person? Had you been there you would have cheered for me!:)

With all due respect but had you seen her and the fact that she was oblivious to herself and then called someone else ugly you would think different. You reap what you sow as the saying goes. All I did was make her think through how stupid she was.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    NicNac wrote:
    I thought the same thing at first read, but then I imagined what if said woman was a bellicose irritant, and realized that I hadn't enough info to comment...
    chrisisall wrote:
    NicNac wrote:
    I thought the same thing at first read, but then I imagined what if said woman was a bellicose irritant, and realized that I hadn't enough info to comment...

That's exactly it. I think no one has the right to call anyone ugly. And when someone does, I correct them on it by showing them how it feels. It works a charm!:)

oorogers wrote:
    Dalton was the only Bond that just got the job done. no charm no swagger no messing just out and out plain old school violence no frills Bond. (Bond having a bad day)
    He had some charm, but yeah, I agree, I like his 'ain't effin' around here' approach.
    =D>
    acoppola wrote:
    It works a charm!:)
    Unless they're packed... :-O
    BAIN123 wrote:
    "I think Bond had a lot of that (grittiness) in the beginning, then it sort of was lost then it came back again with Timothy Dalton" - Daniel Craig

I love Dalton. You know, on Bond VS Bond on YouTube, Timothy Dalton ALWAYS gets killed off! I, personally, think he would be second only to Daniel Craig in a battle.

No one would survive a Dalton headbutt! 2 weeks in hospital! I think if my IQ was lower, I would take Bond Vs Bond seriously. They are too biased.

Dalton as Bond sets you on fire!:) He is the bond that attacks when you least expect it.

• edited November 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I may be critical of Dalton sometimes but I would NEVER refer to him as ugly. As a straight male he is good looking.

I love the reaction the woman in Hot Fuzz when he says:

"Nonsense...I'm sure if we bashed your head in all sorts of secrets would come tumbling out"

I'd probably go weak at the knees if he said that to me ;)
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I may be critical of Dalton sometimes but I would NEVER refer to him as ugly. As a straight male he is good looking.

"Nonsense...I'm sure if we bashed your head in all sorts of secrets would come tumbling out"

Why I Iaid into this woman is because she had a body and face like Jabba The Hut and I needed to make her realise that she is the last person to offer an opinion on ugliness.

Bond is not nice, so why should I be!:) Some may not like his Bond, but he is conventionally handsome.

BAIN123 wrote:

I so need to watch Hot Fuzz.
  • WaltherPPK wrote:
    Big T Dalt fan. Funnily enough while watching SkyFall, i really felt like it would have been perfect for Tim.

Too right, forget GE, this film was written for TD's Bond, we all know it. He was just ahead of his time.

A lot of man love to you TD.
    Regan wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

You can't watch Skyfall until you watched Hot Fuzz!:) Priority number one for you @Regan He is a sleaze bag in that and sticks his middle finger up to the world!

• edited November 2012 Posts: 553
    I know it's not strictly Bond related but if you watch Hot Fuzz you must watch Shaun of the Dead (and Spaced) while you are at it. You can buy them all sight unseen with confidence
    acoppola wrote:
    Regan wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

You can't watch Skyfall until you watched Hot Fuzz!:) Priority number one for you @Regan He is a sleaze bag in that and sticks his middle finger up to the world!

I LOVE him in Hot Fuzz :D
    Thanks for the recommendations... I am definitely getting all these movies and hopefully watching them over the weekend :D. (oops @acoppola, watched SF already... Can't wait to chase it up with plenty of Dalts though)
    just seen SF and I am a bigger Dalts fan than ever.
    Getafix wrote:

Now I want to see it more than I did before!!! ;)
    chrisisall wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Now I want to see it more than I did before!!! ;)

I am majorly disappointed. Just back from the cinema and all I can say is that it's one of the wierdest, if not THE weirdest Bonds ever.
    Getafix wrote:
    I am majorly disappointed. Just back from the cinema and all I can say is that it's one of the wierdest, if not THE weirdest Bonds ever.
    I expect to like it as much as or more than Craig's other two, but no one did it better than Dalts or Bros IMO!!!

• SuperheroSithSuperheroSith SE London
    acoppola wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

No one would survive a Dalton headbutt! 2 weeks in hospital! I think if my IQ was lower, I would take Bond Vs Bond seriously. They are too biased.

Dalton as Bond sets you on fire!:) He is the bond that attacks when you least expect it.

And Brosnan always wins. Despite being second only to Roger Moore in the peewee department.

Is it too late for the Daltinator to make a come back?

He and Craig look about the same age now.
  • @Getafix Hell yeah its time T Dalt came back! Dalton playing Bond in his twilight, an older Bond facing retirement.
    Whatever anyone wants to say about Dalton,but his James Bond was unique and stands the test of time. I love the Cold War feel when he meets Saunders in Bratislava and you will never see a Bond like that again.

As much as I like the new reboot era, there is no denying it has been heavily influenced by modern films whilst the old Bonds were the leaders and set the standard for others to follow.

Old Bond influenced Spielberg and George Lucas to do Indiana Jones. And Harrison Ford would have made a great Bond himself.

We will see in 20 years how fondly remembered the new era will be. They are good thrillers. But I talked to people yesterday who saw Skyfall and no way are they saying it is the best Bond ever.

Ironically it is people who in general do not like old Bond that like the new films. Interesting.

But you cannot change things up radically and then say they are the same as before. Either you have one or the other. The new films are fine in their own right and it is pointless to compare them to a Bond of 25 to 50 years ago.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    @acoppola I thought the same when CR came out. It's great but it almost makes OldBond redundant. But on reflection a good film is a good film, and change is always necessary to a long running franchise. That's why it's long running.

Back in the day the Bonds kept changing. How can we possibly relate FRWL to MR and LTK to AVTAK. They don't look like the same series even though they are. Yes, they ticked certain boxes that said 'Bond film', but styles changed because they had to.

And Old Bond was influenced by other films. Blacksploitation, Star wars, Bruce Lee and Indiana Jones have all been major influences on the Bond series. They all beg, steal and borrow from one another, it doesn't make a film bad or unimaginatitive. NewBond uses ideas, or employs people who bring their own style to the films. Just as Bond films have done for decades. Tarantino openly borrows from all genres, then puts his own stamp on it.

I like old Bond, Connery is my favourite Bond, but Craig is my second favourite and I think he's the best thing to happen to the franchise for a long time. That doesn't mean I dislike the others, every actor brought something to the role.

Will SF be remembered in 20 years time? Of course.
    The only reason we remember DAf or TMWTGG or LTK is because they are Bond films, so I'm sure SF will be remembered. Why shouldn't it be?
    NicNac wrote:
    @acoppola I thought the same when CR came out. It's great but it almost makes OldBond redundant. But on reflection a good film is a good film, and change is always necessary to a long running franchise. That's why it's long running.

Back in the day the Bonds kept changing. How can we possibly relate FRWL to MR and LTK to AVTAK. They don't look like the same series even though they are. Yes, they ticked certain boxes that said 'Bond film', but styles changed because they had to.

And Old Bond was influenced by other films. Blacksploitation, Star wars, Bruce Lee and Indiana Jones have all been major influences on the Bond series. They all beg, steal and borrow from one another, it doesn't make a film bad or unimaginatitive. NewBond uses ideas, or employs people who bring their own style to the films. Just as Bond films have done for decades. Tarantino openly borrows from all genres, then puts his own stamp on it.

I like old Bond, Connery is my favourite Bond, but Craig is my second favourite and I think he's the best thing to happen to the franchise for a long time. That doesn't mean I dislike the others, every actor brought something to the role.

Will SF be remembered in 20 years time? Of course.
    The only reason we remember DAf or TMWTGG or LTK is because they are Bond films, so I'm sure SF will be remembered. Why shouldn't it be?

@Nicnac You raise some good points and I give you credit for arguing eloquently your point. No man is an island and of course everyone is influenced.

I was talking from the perspective that when I meet people casually and they talk about the new series, they for the most part are not Bond fans. They like the newer films more.

Now someone like me who grew up with the series will appreciate the new but not at the expense of the old. Craig is a super fine actor, but it is the building blocks the previous actors brought to the role that is why his films could go in the direction they went.

The only problem I have with the new series is that it is a reboot which effectively means the old Bond never existed. How could it for this to work? They started from scratch yet at the same time borrowed from the past successful elements. That is fine.

Whilst the Batman reboot completely separated itself from the Batman films of '89-'97, the new Bond partially did from the old. I personally do not see the point of rebooting Bond like they did when they are essentially going to go back to the past Bond.

They should have just continued the series as even in CR, they needed the crutch of Connery's Aston to remind long term fans it is a Bond movie. Someone new to the series is clueless of that car's place in Bond history and would be none the wiser until they find out the major contradiction to the 1964 film.

As for Skyfall, whether it will be remembered as the best Bond ever remains to be seen. To those who dislike Bond it is an instant classic as I see on Youtube. Me, I have to always remember that Bond has many past classics and it is unfair to compare a film made today with one made almost 50 years ago. Casablanca has not been topped.

Just watched TLD and LTK yesterday and dang it, they are sooooo good! Amazing performance from Dalts, gritty, well done action scenes, a deeper story than a lot of people might remember, very Flemingesque frm start to finish... man, he shoulda got another film. I would drop all four Brosnan films to get one more from Dalts. In a heartbeat.

And both BDs are fantastic transfers with great special features.
    Hey Dalton fans! Here is a link to a radio programme in the UK that was broadcast on the 26th October. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0108zj1

Here is a clip of Robert Davi talking about LTK. I am trying to find the rest, but the BBC took it off after a week. The programme is called Up All Night.

Sanchez was one of the best villains ever!