Bond misses David Arnold

Comments

This was the best song on the soundtrack!
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 11,425
    out of interest, is the adele skyfall theme worked into the score?
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited October 2012 Posts: 3,497
    There are some snippets in the film but I don't remember exactly when.
  • I think in Scottland it was worked into the score. But like I said, the score is good but forgettable so I could be wrong.

I hop they bring back Arnold.
  • Getafix wrote:
    out of interest, is the adele skyfall theme worked into the score?

I remember it only when he was arriving in Macau. Funnily enough the little of it we heard was reminiscent to me of the CR score - thinking of the train scene in that film
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2012 Posts: 4,043
    I think QOS for me is by far Arnold's best score and if he can come back and improve on that then I'll be happy, I hope the time away gives him a chance to be reinvigorated and come at it fresh.

No I'm not his biggest fan and think all of Barry's scores are superior and find the Brosnan scores unremarkable as well as elements of CR's

That being said I really enjoyed Newman's score and thought while it doesn't stand up on it's own to be listened to like Barry's scores it works for at least in the film extremely successfully.

I also love the Adele song the best since TLD, for me and better than All Time High and MWTGG theme, Barry's worst themes but still not as dire as TND or TWINE. I also thought Kleinman;s titles while not as striking as CR's were great. The only Brosnan theme I like is GE bit that may have something to do with being a U2 fan.

I think YKMN worked very well for CR and still like AWTD although I know it's not classic but it still works on the titles for me but Adele's is the right type of theme for this film and for me emotionally connects with the film.

I believe yes Getafix that Adele's theme is very subtlety incorporated into the score, it's not all over it but it's there.

Does anyone else really like the TND & CR soundtracks?
  • JamesCraig wrote:

I like them both very much
    :D
  • JamesCraig wrote:

I like them. I think TND and TWINE are Arnolds best scores.
    CR is Arnold's best score, I also liked QOS, but not that much. I hated TND's for putting a bond theme every two seconds, it's nice to hear it every now and then, but not that much.
  • I agree that Bond misses David Arnold. Although his absence wasn't due to the Olympics it was just that Mendes wanted to continue his director/composer partnership with Newman.

I feel that Arnold approaches Bond with a passion and a sense of duty. Whatever the outcome, you know he's given it his all. With Newman it felt like this was perhaps just another film for him. There were elements of Bond magic - 'Komodo Dragon' and 'Breadcrums' but I wish he'd taken them further. As John Barry once said, "There are no subtleties in a Bond movie".
    Assuming he returns for the next movie? I think we need to give him a little more time?
  • I missed David Arnold too, Like his hero John Barry he is for me very much a part of the Bond
    furniture. I'm glad Newman got a shot like Bill Conti and Michael Kamen but I really hope Mr. Arnold returns, I was lucky enough to be at The John Barry Memorial Concert and it was very clear David loves the material.
    JamesCraig wrote:
    I do. The TND soundtrack is one of the five best Bond soundtracks, IMO.

I really believe that SF has a better score than any of the films scored by Arnold. So no, I don't miss him at all.
    The Arnold scores have always felt to me as an unwanted hangover from the Brosnan era even though his CR work was decent enough. He is certainly not missed for this film - so much so the PTS music could have even been scored by him.

I was not blown away with Newman's work. I expected a lot more. The whole thing was just indicative of modern action score music. I wish someone could come in and use the Barry template like George Martin did and Arnold did for TND. use the title theme as an instrumental - was it used in Skyfall? if it was, but not to the extent of having it drummed into me by the end of the film. And use a strong secondary theme - too much ambient music here.

I hate to say it Hans Zimmer - some of his recent work, Sherlock Holmes, Inception has been fantastic.
  • I thought Newman's score was both good and refreshing. It didn't have any of the heavy handed and over produced elements that Arnold's scores are prone to. He was also much more deft at weaving the Bond theme throughout without doing what Arnold usually does and crow-bar it in every time Bond jumps off of something. This film flushes the last remnants of the OTT Brosnan era away so it's apt Arnold wasn't there and thus it really felt like a re-boot/new start. To conclude, I'd say Newman is the better composer and would like more of the same please. (This is my first ever post so please be kind!)
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 11,425
    grunther wrote:
    The Arnold scores have always felt to me as an unwanted hangover from the Brosnan era even though his CR work was decent enough. He is certainly not missed for this film - so much so the PTS music could have even been scored by him.

I was not blown away with Newman's work. I expected a lot more. The whole thing was just indicative of modern action score music. I wish someone could come in and use the Barry template like George Martin did and Arnold did for TND. use the title theme as an instrumental - was it used in Skyfall? if it was, but not to the extent of having it drummed into me by the end of the film. And use a strong secondary theme - too much ambient music here.

I hate to say it Hans Zimmer - some of his recent work, Sherlock Holmes, Inception has been fantastic.

Is there a problem in liking Hans Zimmer? he surely must be one of the best composers around right now. i think most people would love to see him do a bond score.
    I like Hans Zimmer too. If Nolan directs Bond 24, you can add him to the list. ;)
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited October 2012 Posts: 1,261
    Newman's score is solid, not brilliant, not memorable. After all the hype about Newman replacing Arnold, I dare to say, Arnold would have been able to do this as well. Nobody will ever reach the standard set by John Barry. Not outstanding, have still to watch the movie, which will open here on Wednesday to give my final judgement.
    And, yes, JNH probably is not Thomas Newman, but rather James Newton Howard, who also could be a future choice for Bond, and whose soundtracjk collaborations with Hans Zimmer on BB and TDK is excellent. Pity he did not come back on board for TDKR...
    Possibly the euphoria about Newman is mainly due to the fact, that he replaced Arnold.
    Newman's score is solid, not brilliant, not memorable. After all the hype about Newman replacing Arnold, I dare to say, Arnold would have been able to do this as well. Nobody will ever reach the standard set by John Barry. Not outstanding, have still to watch the movie, which will open here on Wednesday to give my final judgement.
    And, yes, JNH probably is not Thomas Newman, but rather James Newton Howard, who also could be a future choice for Bond, and whose soundtracjk collaborations with Hans Zimmer on BB and TDK is excellent. Pity he did not come back on board for TDKR...
    Possibly the euphoria about Newman is mainly due to the fact, that he replaced Arnold.

and now people realise Arnold is not so bad after all.

like you say, no one is likely to ever match Barry.
    Getafix wrote:

DA remains a poor choice even if Newman dissapoints he is the better composer and that DA could possible match him with his soundtracks says more about the work delivered by Newman.

The franchise deserves a better composer, so lets hope next time we get a better one instead of the average work of DA. Simply because the franchise deserves better and perhaps EON should put the job out there instead of going for an average one.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    SaintMark wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

DA remains a poor choice even if Newman dissapoints he is the better composer and that DA could possible match him with his soundtracks says more about the work delivered by Newman.

The franchise deserves a better composer, so lets hope next time we get a better one instead of the average work of DA. Simply because the franchise deserves better and perhaps EON should put the job out there instead of going for an average one.

Nah Arnold's a good choice, he knows what the series needs musically.
    Is the Bond theme (includig variations) featured at all during the film's score?

As for composers, I can't judge Newman yet since I haven't seen the film, but David Arnold was an excellent composer in both the Brosnan and Craig films. John Barry is still easily the best though. I've been watching all the Bond films recently and when you hear the mediocre scores in films like TSWLM and FYEO you really miss Barry.
    These two scenes were beautiful:

Can you imagine these scenes with an Arnold score? I seriously can't.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Too bad you feel that EON should limit itself to an average "composer" instead of searching the musical greatness that belonged to the franchise.

Some folks are easily satisfied.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    When you look at what EON have done with regards to casting and writing, they may well go elsewhere.
    SaintMark wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Too bad you feel that EON should limit itself to an average "composer" instead of searching the musical greatness that belonged to the franchise.

Some folks are easily satisfied.

Well who'd you have in mind?
    These two scenes were beautiful:

Can you imagine these scenes with an Arnold score? I seriously can't.
    I can! Easily!