Nudity in The Living Daylights

Comments

Also, the scene is confusing without the nude shot. When the bodyguard comes through the door, his face is meant to be our POV reaction to the shot. But the POV shot is missing, and were left with a confusing facial expression from Virginia Hey. Dalton's actions make little sense, with no real payoff, to the scene.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Jarrod wrote:
    Also, I've seen this kind of edit before with the 80s film Dreamscape (1984), which was one of the earliest PG-13 films released, and had a brief sex scene in it.
    I know that one, my VHS has a quick shot of a womans' boobs and she covers up very quickly; the DVD has the same shot, but zoomed in on so no nipple is visible.
    Exactly, Dreamscape is another I saw in the theater when it came out. I swear my memory is good.
  • Jarrod wrote:
    Also, the scene is confusing without the nude shot. When the bodyguard comes through the door, his face is meant to be our POV reaction to the shot. But the POV shot is missing, and were left with a confusing facial expression from Virginia Hey. Dalton's actions make little sense, with no real payoff, to the scene.

It's not confusing.

1st shot: Bodyguard opens the door.

2: Woman is standing there naked.

3. Bodyguard, stunned, stands and stares as 007 appears from behind the door to knock him out.

WOW! Doesn't get much stranger than this! Here I am discussing Virginia Hey and her part in The Living Daylights, and then I go to MOMA to continue the bond retrospective and who should I run into? Virginia Hey's ex-boyfriend John Taylor from Duran Duran!!! So freaking weird! Unfortunately I didn't have the nerve to ask about his ex-girlfriend's scene in Living Daylights, but I did say "hi" to him.
  • There was definetly full-frontal nudity when I saw The Living Daylights in the cinema. - Unfortunately it was in the audience - and it was my dad. :(
    That's so wrong.
  • There was definetly full-frontal nudity when I saw The Living Daylights in the cinema. - Unfortunately it was in the audience - and it was my dad. :(

Damn

Are you serious?
  • Just to give a supporting post to thouse who recall the frontal breasts shot. It WAS there. I can vaguely recall it in the cinema (age, only saw it in the cinema once), however I certainly know it was on the UK rental VHS version. Or at least the first rental versions. I had a copy of this, but the tape wore out (not from watching this scene, but the openeing sequence). Replaced it with an off-air recording from Sky Movies, only later did I discover the shot had been zoomed in.
  • As said, I did go to the original release in '87, but can't quite recall all that I saw that day. A lot can occur in 25 years..

Did the nudity scene occur?, I don't remember such a thing, and all subsequent viewings thereafter, I've never seen it either I'm sure of it. Maybe we're all paying a bit too much attention to this incident? <:-P
    Easiest way to sort this out would be to contact Peter Davies or John Grover, the editors, and to ask them.
    Thanks StationG, I know I'm not crazy!
    @Volante
    "Easiest way to sort this out would be to contact Peter Davies or John Grover, the editors, and to ask them."
    - That's actually a good idea. But I kinda fear, I wouldn't get an honest answer. Just because there has seemed to be a an entire cover-up of this particular part of the film. Like I was mentioning before, the copy of the film the MOMA has, was cut, and this is a real early print. The scene has never been mentioned in any of the DVD documentaries, nor was it on the U.S. VHS or Laserdisc. I've never seen the scene since the debut day.

@Baltimore_007
    "Maybe we're all paying a bit too much attention to this incident?"
    - I'm extremely fascinated by any missing pieces of film, from any Bond picture. I'd love to see the missing footage from O.H.M.S.S. (rooftop chase), and I'm sure there is footage we haven't seen from Licence To Kill. Also, what I find so fascinating about the Dalton period was just how far the really pushed it in his tenure. I remember that the lead actress posed nude in Playboy, right before the film was released, which was bold. Dalton's Bond started smoking again, and his portrayal was pretty gritty. By Licence To Kill, they'd pushed the PG-13 rating to a near R-Rating. When Moore retired, I think they wanted to bring Bond to a more adult audience, and up the anti a little bit. By the late 80s television shows like Miami Vice became edgier entertainment, over the PG rated action films.
  • It just doesn't make sense that there would be a full-frontal scene.

• It just doesn't make sense that there would be a full-frontal scene.

It was not 'full frontal', it was frontal top. The frame stopped just below the bottom of her breasts.

As I said, I'm 85% confident it was at the cinema release I saw (first day). However I was young, and I only saw the film once in the cinema. So that is what has stopped me saying 100%.

I can however be 100% certain it was the UK PAL VHS rental/hire copy. I had a copy of this, and it was certainly there. (Sadly, tape wore out from watching and showing people the Gibraltar sequence, so I replaced it with an off-air version only noticing the adjusted shot later).
  • I was 13 when I saw this in the theater and it was the first Bond film I saw in the theater (US). The frontal boob shot was absolutely there and my dad apologized afterward saying no other Bond ever had anything like that which was why he assumed it would be safe to take me. Obviously a harmless shot and appropriate for the scene. Can't believe all the cover up surrounding it and lack of restoration in any home copy version.
    Nice to see three people now remember the scene.
  • Jarrod wrote:
    Nice to see three people now remember the scene.

As stated upthread, "remembering" the scene doesn't mean that it happened. Especially considering the expense/trouble of recalling prints of the film, striking new ones, and shipping them out to theatres (plus the lack of *any* documentation about it).

***SPOILERS FOR SKYFALL***

When people get excited they often remember elements of a film scene in an...exaggerated way (more nudity, more violence, stronger emotions). A perfect example is what a guy at my gym said on Monday. He saw SF on the weekend and loved it; he was very excited about the film and how cool Craig was in it. Because of this he remembered the final line completely incorrectly.

As we know, the final line was "With pleasure, M. With pleasure." According to this guy, an intelligent, grown man (I'm often impressed with how smart and detail oriented he is) the final exchange is as follows:

M: Are you ready for your next mission?
    Bond: Are you *kidding*? I was BORN ready!!!

No matter how much we talked about it he has an unshakeable belief that that was how the final exchange occurred. He was so excited watching that scene (Bond is back, baby!) that he exaggerated it in his mind. I've done the same thing in the past myself (although maybe not to that degree). If a mature, smart, grown man can make this kind of mistake then it's completely reasonable that others can as well (again, see university studies mentioned upthread).

• acoppolaacoppola London Ealing not far from where Bob Simmons lived
    edited November 2012 Posts: 1,243
    I clearly remember being a bit shocked that she has hardly anything on and also the scene of her running into the bathroom. The side boob shot is blatant. And then we later see her nice ass running away.

It shows how ruthless Bond can be with women and not necessarily in the seductions.
    The scene did happen, it's not imagined. I wouldn't be exerting this much energy on the topic if I wasn't 100% sure of what I saw in 1987. And now that 2 others have come forward to substantiate that claim, and still the naysaying? I guess because the film was edited, I should forget what I saw, pretend it didn't happen, and stay complacent and agreeable on the topic?
  • Hey @Jarrod I think I found it! =))

deleted.jpg?t=1353020178
    What is this site rated????
    Lol, pretty funny!
  • edited November 2012 Posts: 3
    I saw this two times at the theater, in Norway, when it came out in 1987 and remember that scene clearly.

Full front top shot ,which surprised me as a young man at a James Bond movie.

Strange it's been cut in all releases and very little to nothing info on it.
    Thanks for sharing your memory on the film. Maybe someone from EON will read this and we'll finally get an uncut version of Living Daylights. Four people have now come forward remembering a different edit of this scene.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited November 2012 Posts: 13,350
    As the most recent member has just registered to post this, forgive for me thinking so, but it could well be the same person.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited November 2012 Posts: 5,979
    Can we talk about Maud Adams' rear view in OP now?
    Apparently a body double. At least according to Ancensored.
  • I could swear I saw Maud's nipple in TMWTGG
    @Samuel001
    No, it's not me. I posted the same thread on imdb.com, and I received two comments back from this. The first was:

by barodabulldog (Mon Oct 29 2012 18:27:18)

Yes, I noticed the same change when the movie hit cable. The actress was the warrior woman from The Road Warrior by the way, later in the show Farscape.

The open of Diamonds are Forever has the same type of edit from the theatre version to TV/video. The scene where Bond uses the girls bikini top to choke her for information about Blofeld.

And the second was this:

by harryfyhr (Tue Nov 13 2012 15:30:11)

UPDATED Tue Nov 13 2012 15:40:14
    Thank you! I thought it was only me.

I saw this two times at the theater, in Norway, when it came out in 1987 and remember that scene clearly.
    Full front shot of the breasts,which surprised me as a young man at a James Bond movie.

After I received two comments, I suggested that they join the ongoing mi6 thread, where we have been discussing it. And harryfyhr was nice enough to share his memory as a new member. I would never create another mi6 profile to support my own claim. I sincerely want to find the truth out.
This discussion has been closed.