DREDD (2012) The thread of less Sly and more helmet!

Comments

• edited June 2012 Posts: 2,107
    I watched this and Judge Dredd trailers back to back, and I have to say the Sly-flick looked more exciting and Dredd like. I like the original Dredd movie and I don't even feel ashamed to admit it.

While this new one might be good too, the trailer doesn't really get me all that excited. The city doesn't even look like Megacity one, and instead looks like a modern Los Angeles to me. This movie seems to have this gritty and modernized feel to it, instead of the campy feel of the comics or the Sly-film. The budget and grittiness may affect to my feelings that it's not wholly Dredd-like. At least Carl Urban seems to have nailed the role of ruthless judge, jury and executioner.
    SharkBait wrote:
    I watched this and Judge Dredd trailers back to back, and I have to say the Sly-flick looked more exciting and Dredd like. I like the original Dredd movie and I don't even feel ashamed to admit it.

While this new one might be good too, the trailer doesn't really get me all that excited. The city doesn't even look like Megacity one, and instead looks like a modern Los Angeles to me. This movie seems to have this gritty and modernized feel to it, instead of the campy feel of the comics or the Sly-film. The budget and grittiness may affect to my feelings that it's not wholly Dredd-like. At least Carl Urban seems to have nailed the role of ruthless judge, jury and executioner.

If you like the character Judge Dredd, you watch the new one and then make a comparison on a whole movie instead of a trailer. O:-)

• "Somewhere in this block are two judges."
    "Damnit Jim, I'm a doctor not a judge."
    Twitter reactions from the Comic Con screening:

@colliderfrosty:
    DREDD was a super hard R and a lot better than I thought it would be. Again....super hard R. 3D was also great.

@firstshowing:
    Dredd 3D - Uh yea, that was awesome. Badass, loved it. Yes, the helmet never comes off. Liked it more than The Raid, a lot more, honestly.

@JHoffman6:
    On a pop fascist level DREDD makes STARSHIP TROOPERS look like BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN #SDCC

@alllyourfriends
    #Dredd was amazing

@TexasTechWrekem
    #Dredd was a mix between Crank and The Raid which means it was awesome! Expect my review tomorrow on @MovieBuzzers

@TorturedXGenius
    2 outta 3 of my favorite bloggers i follow liked #DREDD a lot....this is good.

@JHoffman6
    Props to Lena Heady: her few center stage moments are tremendous. Great villain. #Dredd #SDCC

@alllyourfriends
    Dredd was honestly the best movie I've seen this year.

@Ethan_Anderton
    DREDD is brutal, bloody and a bad ass blast of old school action. I was skeptical and ended up being highly entertained.

@filthysize
    Just saw DREDD. It's all right. Wafer thin story, but violent as all *beep* with a great attitude to it. Less scifi, more cop. #SDCC

@Bilal_Mian
    Was Dredd really that good? The buzz is making me go WTF

And finally a word from Empire magazine...

@empiremagazine
    Dredd Goodd. Longer reaction to come soon, followed by the full Empire review. We're that drokking efficient.

Seriously, this sounds great! :D
  • oo7oo7
    edited July 2012 Posts: 1,068
    http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/07/12/dredd-review

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g8lMmRe6Z44?version=3&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g8lMmRe6Z44?version=3&hl=en_GB"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
    I'm too much of a fan of Stallone's performance to care about the new version.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    jolearon wrote:
    I'm too much of a fan of Stallone's performance to care about the new version.

For the most part agreed, but after seeing the clip that oo7 posted I kind of would like to check it out.

Final poster:
    1WUHk.jpg

AND EPICNESS ENSUES!
    All I gots tah say iz ; I hate 3D...done badly.

Well you're in for a treat then since reports have said the 3D in this one is great :)
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Love the poster, this is gonna be awesome. I'll be seeing it in 2D. I'm not really a fan of 3D at all and 2D is cheaper.
    Love the poster, this is gonna be awesome. I'll be seeing it in 2D. I'm not really a fan of 3D at all and 2D is cheaper.

Have to say i think 3D is over rated. Do like the Dredd poster too!
    obin_gam wrote:
    Well you're in for a treat then since reports have said the 3D in this one is great :)

I just thought the 3d effects in that clip looked too much of a gimmicky.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It definitely had a 'The Raid' vibe, although I haven't seen either film. With all of these reviews, I may have to give this one a try, then.
  • oo7oo7
    Bump, what did you all think of this then?
  • TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    I can't claim myself to be a Judge Dredd fan, but I enjoyed the new movie a lot more than Sly's version. Dredd '95 was hilarious to watch, but ultimately a mediocre movie at best. Dredd '12 scaled everything down significantly, but focused more on the grittier "day in the life of a Judge" story instead of a grand scheme. My only real issue is I wished the movie was longer.

Since it bombed pretty hard in the States, it's unlikely we'll see any more of Dredd in the near future. Pity, as the movie shows loads of promise.
  • oo7oo7
    Tubes wrote:
    I can't claim myself to be a Judge Dredd fan, but I enjoyed the new movie a lot more than Sly's version. Dredd '95 was hilarious to watch, but ultimately a mediocre movie at best. Dredd '12 scaled everything down significantly, but focused more on the grittier "day in the life of a Judge" story instead of a grand scheme. My only real issue is I wished the movie was longer.

Since it bombed pretty hard in the States, it's unlikely we'll see any more of Dredd in the near future. Pity, as the movie shows loads of promise.

I dont know, might go through the roof on the rental and dvd sales as a film to watch in the house.
    I think releasing it as a 3d only film was a bit of a stupid move
  • TubesTubes The Hebrew Hammer
    oo7 wrote:
    I dont know, might go through the roof on the rental and dvd sales as a film to watch in the house.

I expect a good home video afterlife for DREDD '12, but the movie cost $50 million to make even with it's somewhat small scale. It's only made $20 million worldwide at this point. Any sequel would amp up the scale significantly. I don't think any studio is willing to risk money on something that is bound to fail at this point.

I think Dredd would be best suited as a TV Show or mini-series anyways.

• edited August 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I loved it. I think it was better than the Stallone version and I really liked the baddy too. Deserves sequels.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Tubes wrote:
    oo7 wrote:

I expect a good home video afterlife for DREDD '12, but the movie cost $50 million to make even with it's somewhat small scale. It's only made $20 million worldwide at this point. Any sequel would amp up the scale significantly. I don't think any studio is willing to risk money on something that is bound to fail at this point.

I think Dredd would be best suited as a TV Show or mini-series anyways.

well... thats Lionsgate's brilliant marketing strategy at work.... there were hardly any advertisements for this movie.. i caught maybe 1 before this film was released... there are 2 explanations for this..... 1 - LGF are terrible at marketing anything other than 'Saw' movies... or #2 - the head over at LGF didn't like the movie, so he had it s***canned to small release.. and on it's opening weekend, only being shown in 2,500 (roughly) screens across the country, thats about as low as you can go on a wide release.... this same thing happened with Punisher War Zone back in 2009 - LGF released it in almost the same amount of screens in it's opening week - did very little marketing, and just let the film die a horrible box office death...

It came to my country yesterday and after a few beers me and a mate went to see it and it was

G L O U R I O U S

I seriously cant find one fault in it. Perfect movie.

Incredibly entertaining film! Incredibly violent, bloody, witty, fun and with incredible cinematography! In other words, an ordinary working day for our dear Judge Dredd.

Trying to come up with something that was bad with the movie, but having difficulty doing so. The plot is a bit simple, but since that was the point I cant really complain about that. Actors were good, Dredd is Urban 100% bitter, hard and simply just good. And Lena Headys villain is sexysleazy and surprisingly played better than what you might think when it comes to what kind of movie this really is.

Five bitter badass Karl Urbans of five bitter badass Karl Urbans possible!
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 1,661
    I thought it was okay - I'm a huge 2000AD fan, been reading the comic for over 30 years (!) - but the plot was a bit too Die Hard for my tastes. Dredd 3D wasn't a very original film, I thought. Sadly the film has been a mega-flop, hardly anyone went to see it so there won't be a new franchise. It's shame because my two all-time favourite action heroes are

JAMES BOND and JUDGE DREDD.

JUDGE DREDD - the character - had the potential to rival the James Bond franchise but sadly the character doesn't have enough broad appeal. It's just not meant to be a film property. :(

"well... thats Lionsgate's brilliant marketing strategy at work.... there were hardly any advertisements for this movie.."

Yes, people have mentioned the marketing playing a part in the film's poor box office. I dunno, my gut feeling is the character of Judge Dredd doesn't appeal to enough people, the character is lacking enough hero empathy to appeal to a broad group of film goers. That's what makes the comic strip version so cool - he can be a cold bastard! - but I don't think that works so well on the big screen. Film heroes need to be heroic and Judge Dredd is an anti-hero.

DREDD (2012) - I'm a fan of the comic series "Judge Dredd" and this film was one of those films I've been waiting to happen in a long time, and I wasn't disappointed this film was a dream come true for me.

It's true the plot and story is straightforward but that's a good thing, it makes the film feel no nonsense let alone we don't have to worry about a bunch of boring melodrama or unnecessary complexity that can grind the story and film to a halt. It also makes sense because most of the stories in the comic series were always straightforward and simple. Let alone the action format, it's pretty much your one or few against the world scenario but that's my favorite kind because it's always fun to think of the possibility of surviving and beating the odds.

I like the production value most of it is practical, there's a little CGI but not much and hardly noticeable. I really like the look of the city of the future it feels accurate to the comic books where it is in between both our contemporary present we live in but also futuristic with certain technologies we haven't yet mastered. I even like the concept of the Megablocks which are a city within, they kinda look a bit like a shopping mall, with our malls today this isn't far fetched it feels plausible.

The action is great well choreographed, not quite wall to wall but that's a good thing because it actually feels a bit realistic. It's gory and visceral, there are some creative kills, my favorite was seeing Dredd shoot a High Ex round at a perp which takes his head off completely. As well as the music which is reminiscent of John Carpenter's films. But most importantly I just loved the suspense and atmosphere of the film, like in the Carpenter films there is that constant feeling of isolation and dread; as there is that looming threat of a gang of scumbags hiding in the next corner, shadow or even apartment door.
    In a way this is Olivia Thirlby's movie, since she gets the character arc, rookie judge Cassandra Anderson assigned to Dredd for evaluation and finding herself on a very steep learning curve. She is vulnerable, spikey and tough as called for, vital to the movie in order to balance Dredd.

However, were in this movie for Dredd and the character doesn't disappoint. Karl Urban performance was excellent he is Judge Dredd. He just does everything right, from the fact he never takes the helmet off throughout the whole movie which is his trademark in the comics, to me that is his face because represents the facelessness of the law. But most importantly it just gives Dredd a sense of mystique. The character it's true he doesn't have a great deal of depth, but doesn't need it Dredd is simply the job an all action type. The voice he uses is great it's how I imagined what Dredd would sound like, sort of a Clint Eastwood like tone. He has some great lines my favorite is no surprise, "Ma-ma's not the law, I'm the law." He's got charisma, he's kinda funny in an unintentional sense, most importantly tough as nails he makes criminals haul butt. But I simply liked his performance physically some of Karl Urban's training really shows. Most of all just loved seeing him use trademark weapon The Lawgiver which is my favorite fictional weapon of all time. Whatever you think of saying it will discharge, if you said laser then the gun would shoot a laser bolt.

Dredd has plenty of fire power.
    Done that. I want a sequel to Dredd. Even if it was straight to the dvd/br. Carl Urban should still be Dredd.

Though I'm not keeping any hopes up.
  • edited September 2013 Posts: 5,767
    I signed that petition some time ago, but I obviously forgot to put it here, shame on me. I was never before a fan of Dredd, but the DVD completely blew me away, I immediately watched it two or three times. The film has a better John Carpenter feel than many of Carpenter´s own films.
    Love the use of the building. Love the slo mo. Love the use of the music.
    18th September is going to be the DREDD SEQUEL DAY OF ACTION.

You can sign the official petition here:
    http://2000adonline.us5.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=a6e40236aa24d482cfff600d2&id=62906ebdcc
    Count me in! Would certainly like a follow up to the last one! But lets be outside more for the next one please! [-O<
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Having seen Both Judge Dredd and Dredd 2012, I honestly enjoyed The Stallone version more. Not to say I didn't like Dredd either. I enjoyed Dredd 2012 but it just didn't feel as grand or futuristic as Judge Dredd 1995 did. I also liked Rico over Big Mama as villains. Though I liked Urban's Dredd better than Sly's Dredd, I just enjoyed Dredd 95 more than I did Dredd 2012.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Murdock wrote:
    Having seen Both Judge Dredd and Dredd 2012, I honestly enjoyed The Stallone version more. Not to say I didn't like Dredd either. I enjoyed Dredd 2012 but it just didn't feel as grand or futuristic as Judge Dredd 1995 did. I also liked Rico over Big Mama as villains. Though I liked Urban's Dredd better than Sly's Dredd, I just enjoyed Dredd 95 more than I did Dredd 2012.
    Same here. I'm a big fan of the style of 'the future' in films from the 80s to mid 90s.