Adele - 'Skyfall' title song discussion

Comments

• edited September 2012 Posts: 183
    obin_gam wrote:
    Does this mean Adele is officially confirmed now? http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/09/13/confirmed-adele-all-set-for-james-bond-skyfall-song
    Exclusive: I think I can confirm for you what I said some months ago – 
    Adele is performing the theme song for “Skyfall,” the 23rd James Bond movie.
    As far as I know the song is called “Skyfall.”

or is it the same source the sun has?

It doesn't confirm it by far, it appears to be off the back of what the Sun started. It mentions no source, so its a case of someone going - 'Adele was in close proximity to Newman, add that to what she said to Wossy, it must be her! I'm confirming it!'

Nothing is official unless EON announce it or Adele announces it.

Interesting article though... particularly when mentioning the song title...

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Just not an artist I recognize. I feel there are far more appropriate or better acts for this years release

Well as you're the bloke who suggested Genesis a while back lets be thankful for once that EON pay no attention to what people on these forums think and look like they are going with the safe and predictable choice.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,975
    TPM007 wrote:
    obin_gam wrote:
    Does this mean Adele is officially confirmed now? http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/09/13/confirmed-adele-all-set-for-james-bond-skyfall-song
    Exclusive: I think I can confirm for you what I said some months ago – 
    Adele is performing the theme song for “Skyfall,” the 23rd James Bond movie.
    As far as I know the song is called “Skyfall.”

or is it the same source the sun has?

It doesn't confirm it by far, it appears to be off the back of what the Sun started. It mentions no source, so its a case of someone going - 'Adele was in close proximity to Newman, add that to what she said to Wossy, it must be her! I'm confirming it!'

Nothing is official unless EON announce it or Adele announces it.

Interesting article though... particularly when mentioning the song title...
    It's amazing, the amount of people on twitter alone who are stating this as fact.

Saying 'I think I can confirm' isn't confirming squat, no matter how true the rumor may turn out to be.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    maxcraig wrote:
    Not until EON announces it.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 229
    maxcraig wrote:
    If you like. A matter of time before EON announces it
    But at least we are sure now it's not just rumours made up by taboids
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    maxcraig wrote:
    maxcraig wrote:

It's still rumor territory. Unless ShowBiz411 is some reputable site, which judging from its name and its front page, it isn't, so we'll see what EON has to say. This news isn't any different from any other sites that have the so called exclusive information that Adele is doing the theme. These types of articles have been written for a year now.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 421
    Love these so-called "confirmations" and "exclusives" - not.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if she did end up performing the theme - all these articles are trash. The most reputable is The Sun, as their exclusives sometimes get things right. But it's still saying something.

Most of these other articles are bored showbiz journalists trying to justify their existence with "confirmations" off the back of some other trashy unsourced article. It spreads around the web like wildfire and the sad fact is, the more journos pick up on it (and the more we talk about it, the higher expectations are going to be set.

I would advise all members to completely ignore any articles claiming to know the title singer until we have actual confirmation from EON, the artist themself, or Thomas Newman. Sorry if this rant sounded too harsh!
    AgentJM7 wrote:
    Love these so-called "confirmations" and "exclusives" - not.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if she did end up performing the theme - all these articles are trash. The most reputable is The Sun, as their exclusives sometimes get things right. But it's still saying something.

Most of these other articles are bored showbiz journalists trying to justify their existence with "confirmations" off the back of some other trashy unsourced article. It spreads around the web like wildfire and the sad fact is, the more journos pick up on it (and the more we talk about it, the higher expectations are going to be set.

I would advise all members to completely ignore any articles claiming to know the title singer until we have actual confirmation from EON, the artist themself, or Thomas Newman. Sorry if this rant sounded too harsh!
    It was true. *RANT APPROVED*
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    I think I can say that It'll only be official OFFICIAL, only with a Press Release from SONY and EON. Until then, nothing is official.
  • maxcraig wrote:
    maxcraig wrote:

It's still rumor territory. Unless ShowBiz411 is some reputable site, which judging from its name and its front page, it isn't, so we'll see what EON has to say. This news isn't any different from any other sites that have the so called exclusive information that Adele is doing the theme. These types of articles have been written for a year now.
    Usually The website Filmonic doesn't publish things like that if it's just rumours. And if it's just a rumour they would have mentioned it.
  • Adele is a decent singer but I think she's overrated and overplayed, and I think it'd be a safe, boring choice.

And I just prefer the rock Bond themes like LALD and YKMN. I was hoping for something like that. I don't want another GF (and Adele sings like Bassey), I want another LALD!!!!
    maxcraig wrote:
    maxcraig wrote:
    maxcraig wrote:

Usually The website Filmonic doesn't publish things like that if it's just rumours. And if it's just a rumour they would have mentioned it.

But what 0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 is trying to say is that Filmonic is using ShowBiz411 as its source, which is a pretty unreliable source. ShowBiz411 is simply saying what we're saying on this forum but stating it as fact.

Nothing official whatsoever
    TPM007 wrote:
    maxcraig wrote:
    maxcraig wrote:
    maxcraig wrote:

But what 0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 is trying to say is that Filmonic is using ShowBiz411 as its source, which is a pretty unreliable source. ShowBiz411 is simply saying what we're saying on this forum but stating it as fact.

Nothing official whatsoever
    Exactly. Hats off to you, @TPM007.
  • Adele is a decent singer but I think she's overrated and overplayed, and I think it'd be a safe, boring choice.

And I just prefer the rock Bond themes like LALD and YKMN. I was hoping for something like that. I don't want another GF (and Adele sings like Bassey), I want another LALD!!!!
    If a rock singer is chosen there will be people who will complain that EON is choosing a rock singer again. :D
    Adele is a decent singer but I think she's overrated and overplayed, and I think it'd be a safe, boring choice.

Granted, going for Paul was safe too. After the Beatles high of the 60s and their continuing legacy Paul was guaranteed gold.

Adele is a decent singer but I think she's overrated and overplayed, and I think it'd be a safe, boring choice.

Granted, going for Paul was safe too. After the Beatles high of the 60s and their continuing legacy Paul was guaranteed gold.

Absolutely, and lets face it, some of the safest bets brought some of the best songs (Depending on musical tastes of course), what with McCartney, Duran Duran and a-ha. Though then again, lesser known singers such as Manson, Cornell and Simon have done well. What I'm trying to say is, whether its a safe bet or not, we can't dismiss the artist choice before we've heard the song.

When Chris Cornell was announced I was sceptical, when I heard the song, I was disappointed, but as it grew on me I now consider it one of the best in the series (especially compared to Another Way to Die, which is one of the worst)

• edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837

I suppose, but I think Paul is better than Adele. Like I said, I think she's a bit overrated.

If she is doing it, I'll wait and hear the song before fully judging but I'm not really an Adele fan at all so I'm skeptical.
    QBranch wrote:
    I think she looks like the size of a house and I'm not kidding, if she gets the nod (or if already done as highly suspect), they would have had to take her to the recording studios in the back of an armored van. And if she did it, and she appeared as herself for the theme intro as part of a background, (not seen since Easton in For Your Eyes Only), her face would take up the damn entire screen.
    I wasn't thinking about the weight, and it's up to an individual to watch what they eat. Maybe Ms Adele has a fancy for candy bars or something, just that's it been said, that she is rather a size. I tried to word it best I could, wasn't making fun of it either to be honest, it was merely an observation.
    So you type without thinking, now?

Why did you even feel the need to bring this up? You know what they say, 'those who judge have the biggest flaws'...

I don't know if I would call myself an Adele 'fan', but I think she's quite pretty- and evidently, would be perfect for the theme. Fingers crossed.

Is her surname acatessen? Mr Bond I will buy you adelicatessen made of steel-FYEO)!

Seriously though she does have a pretty face

Ha ha! Nice one, LeChiffre! It's so corny, it's good!

I suppose, but I think Paul is better than Adele. Like I said, I think she's a bit overrated.

If she is doing it, I'll wait and hear the song before fully judging but I'm not really an Adele fan at all so I'm skeptical.

The thing is, everyone has different tastes in music, if Adele is confirmed and she brings out a song people like, there will always be people who dislike it. Whether its rock or not. That's what these forums are for, to enable us to discuss our likes and dis-likes about all things Bond. Hell, if it was me deciding, I'd have Robbie Williams singing the theme, and I can guarantee that 90% of forum uses will be disagreeing straight away...

• I personally think that Adele would be the pefect choice. Its been quite a while since we had a female soloist, and if the song is to be a big ballad style, it would suit her powerful voice. I have a feeling that Skyfall will have a classic feel to the movie, so Adele with a John Barry style theme song would be just what i had hoped for,
    I'm all for a rock theme, but considering the anniversary it would make more sense to stick to a Bassey styled theme. However it turns out, I'm sure I'll be happy.
  • Just as important, who has composed the song?
  • TPM007 wrote:

The thing is, everyone has different tastes in music, if Adele is confirmed and she brings out a song people like, there will always be people who dislike it. Whether its rock or not. That's what these forums are for, to enable us to discuss our likes and dis-likes about all things Bond. Hell, if it was me deciding, I'd have Robbie Williams singing the theme, and I can guarantee that 90% of forum uses will be disagreeing straight away...

Yeah you're right there, everybody has different tastes.

Williams did do that song with the YOLT music didn't he? So he's sort of done a Bond theme, hahaha.
    Yeah, Millennium is as close as I'm gonna get... haha!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I love how there has been no press release from Sony or EON, but every other movie outlet online releases the Adele 'confirmation.'
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I love how there has been no press release from Sony or EON, but every other movie outlet online releases the Adele 'confirmation.'

It's great how people believe anything today. Even funnier is how they'll all repost the confirmation when Adele is actually confirmed.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Samuel001, exactly. That's why so many people were up in arms when rumors circulated that Bond wasn't going to drink martinis anymore, or when the action would be heavily dumbed down, etc.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    OK it's not official but the evidence has been pointing towards her being the candidate for some time now, they are saying Skyfall is going to be classic Bond with Goldfinger mentioned as an influence, lets face it they are going to go with a female for this no doubt. They want that Bassey type classic feel, I think Adele has had the job for a long time but EON wanted to keep it under wraps but like the last worse kept secret the title of Bond 23 this has been out there for months since Wossy was teasing her about it in that interview months ago.

EON lost out on getting Winehouse, do you really think they'd let the attempt to get one of the biggest pop stars on the planet singing the title tune? It won't be a rock song because we've had that, they'll be looking to recreate that classic Barry/Bassey feel for this song mark my words this tune will be one of the safest Bond themes in a long time.

They will not be wanting the kind of reception the last 2 themes ( which I both like), barely touching the charts, this is the 50th anniversary they'll be nothing to chance here. Adele has been a sure thing since the beginning of the year, they want a chart smash and this all over the radio and TV and her name will guarantee that. Cornell was way past his prime and White was very well known but not a household name, Adele is pretty much at her Zenith, this will be the biggest hit theme in decades.

Seriously was someone suggesting Genesis?