The Dark Knight Rises :: July 2012 (Spoilers)

Comments

Just come back from the cinema watching this for the third time, heres what the movie does to me even now after having viewed it this many times:

- Reflex-big-smile when the Batman music kicks off when he shows up first on the screen.

- Dirt in my eyes when Alfred saying goodbye.

- Stamping feet when Batman and Catwoman goes past the bad guys en route to Bane.

- Jabs the air in Batman v. Bane Round 1

- Gets in love with Selina Kyle when she says that Batman does not need to do anything more for the city.

- Reflex-big-smile when Batman rescues Blake who says "You missed a spot."

- More dirt in the eye when Batman tells Gordon that a hero can be anyone ...

- Reflex-big-smile when the schoolchild shouts "No, its Batman!"

- Even more dirt in the eyes (seriously, dont they clean the cinemas?) during the funeral.

- Reflex-big-smile when Blake declines to continue as a police officer.

- Dirt in the eye when the sign of Thomas and Martha Wayne's Home for Children is displayed.

- Chills when Blake's real name is said.

- Total cardiac arrest when the drums kick in at once to the image of Alfreds face changing.

- Reflex-big-smile as the title of the film becomes apparent
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I get chills every time I hear:

Catwoman: "You could have done anything, but you came back here. ..... You've given them everything."
    Batman: "Not everything, not yet."
  • I get chills every time I hear:

Catwoman: "You could have done anything, but you came back here. ..... You've given them everything."
    Batman: "Not everything, not yet."

Love that line! Other moments that gives me chills:

- The prologue when Bane responds to his friend "Yes brother, the fire rises" and the drums kick in.

- Blake swinging into the batcave.

- Late in the movie when Batman is about to defeat Bane and he replies Bane's line from the pit: "and then you have my permission to die".

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    And every time I think about Gordon and Batman's talk at the end where he reveals himself I get worked up. :-S
    Dan Didio (the head of DC Comics) answers a question about the film (note: do not look if you havent yet seen the film!)
    h5gHJ.jpg

Come on Didio, do it DO IT!!!!! :D
    HOW ORIGINAL. 8-|
    I dont see the problem? Those who would want the movies to be selfcontaind could just ignore it, and those who are hungry for more get theirs aswell. Win win for everyone :)
    I would love to see blake as Batman in the comics :D
    Risico007 wrote:
    I would love to see blake as Batman in the comics :D

They did it with Harley, I wouldn't be surprised if they brought him in. And he is an excellent character.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    edited August 2012 Posts: 1,182
    I saw the film a few days ago. Absolutely amazing!! I loved it! A very worthy sequel to The Dark Knight and the perfect ending to the Dark Knight trilogy!
    obin_gam wrote:
    Dan Didio (the head of DC Comics) answers a question about the film (note: do not look if you havent yet seen the film!)
    h5gHJ.jpg

Wait, what?
    Blake as Batman? I think it's pretty obvious that Blake becomes Robin, not Batman...
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 127

Glad you enjoyed the movie. Love it too!
    Anyhow, Bruce Wayne prepared everything for someone to take over as Batman, otherwise he wouldn´t have installed a new Klieg light with the Bat symbol. And he clearly invited Blake to take over the part, by sending him the bag with the GPS coordinates.
    gt007 wrote:
    I saw the film a few days ago. Absolutely amazing!! I loved it! A very worthy sequel to The Dark Knight and the perfect ending to the Dark Knight trilogy!
    obin_gam wrote:
    h5gHJ.jpg

Wait, what?
    Blake as Batman? I think it's pretty obvious that Blake becomes Robin, not Batman...

No. He was robin during the whole movie and at the end he rises up to become the dark knight. That was the whole point of his name.
    Well, technically he could use the equipment and the Batcave (Robincave?) Bruce Wayne left for him and still act as Robin. But that would defeat the idea of Batman being a symbol, more than just a man.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I kind of forgot about the whole symbol thing and just assumed he would be Robin when I first saw the film. I think now he will be Batman.
    For god's sake, in Nolan's story John Blake becomes BATMAN. The end.

Just remember this is Nolan's Batman. Pick up a comic book today and it's still Bruce Wayne, and when the next Batman movie comes out it will also be Bruce Wayne (as a reboot, no longer Nolan's story)
  • gt007gt007 Station G

I have absolutely no reason not to accept that. When Nolan says it is so.
    gt007 wrote:

He has said it so (Nolan's goodbye letters on this discussion somewhere), DC Comics have said so, WB has said so. What more do you need!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Virage wrote:
    gt007 wrote:

He has said it so (Nolan's goodbye letters on this discussion somewhere), DC Comics have said so, WB has said so. What more do you need!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Dude, calm down. Don't shoot me for not knowing every single word anyone has said about Batman.

This is Nolan's letter you're talking about? I just read it, it doesn't say a word about this.

If you have any DC or WB statements on this matter, they are most welcome.
    Went to see this yesterday, didn't think it was as great as everyone told me it is
    gt007 wrote:
    obin_gam wrote:
    h5gHJ.jpg

Wait, what?

Someone needs to pay attention to the message of the trilogy. The whole point of being Batman is that anyone can take on the cape and cowl. As Bruce said in Batman Begins, as a symbol he is incorruptible, and everlasting. So Batman can go on forever, no matter who it is behind the cowl, because the symbol of everything Batman is will always have power.
    Hence, not freaking Robin.
    Thanks for the assist, Obrady
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    gt007 wrote:
    obin_gam wrote:
    h5gHJ.jpg

Wait, what?

Someone needs to pay attention to the message of the trilogy. The whole point of being Batman is that anyone can take on the cape and cowl. As Bruce said in Batman Begins, as a symbol he is incorruptible, and everlasting. So Batman can go on forever, no matter who it is behind the cowl, because the symbol of everything Batman is will always have power.

Someone needs to understand that some people may interpret things differently than others. There's no need to be so absolute, trying to force your interpretation to others.
    In my opinion, the message of the trilogy is that anyone can become a symbol to fight for justice. Not this specific symbol of Batman. If I remember correctly, in Begins Bruce chose the bat as a symbol for a reason. He was afraid of bats and chose them not only because they're terrifying, but also to embrace his own fear. That makes the Batman his symbol. Unless you think Blake wants to embrace Wayne's fear too. Which makes no sense.

As I said, I'm willing to accept Blake becoming Batman, if Nolan says it is so.
    Until then, I'll stick to my theory.
    There we have it: A nice open ending, stimulating the brain to think :-bd .
    There is no question about interpretation when the answer is plain to see. The message of the film is clear and ever-present. Sorry if I sounded so assured, though, as I said, it is heavily underscored throughout the entire trilogy.

Anyone CAN fight for justice, but never be their own symbol. The only symbol needed is the symbol of Batman, who has already struck fear into criminals and enlisted respect into Gotham's citizens and police with his bravery. In becoming a martyr he is in fact the legend that Ra's foresaw of him to be. In his death there is life, as anyone could pick up the cowl again and continue the fight, to give people the hope that only Batman can give. By being "Robin", Blake would be using a new symbol foreign to the people of Gotham. That is why Bruce gives him coordinates to the cave. With the suit and his utilities he can choose to continue the fight if ever Gotham needs Batman again, because Batman is everything he is needed to be, Gotham's savior. Why would Blake use another cape and cowl when he has one that holds so much power and importance for the people of Gotham? That isn't an enigmatic ending, it is plain to see why Bruce did what he did, without question, and what he has left Blake to do if he so chooses to.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 555
    More importantly, why would
    Robin Blake be a superhero by the name of Robin

That would be like Bruce Wayne being known as Bruce when he fights crime.

It was just a clever way of having
    Batman and Robin fighting side by side, but this time Robin was the guys name and not a kid in tights
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Not to mention the Bat-symbol put in place at the end.
  • More importantly, why would
    Robin Blake be a superhero by the name of Robin

That would be like Bruce Wayne being known as Bruce when he fights crime.

It was just a clever way of having
    Batman and Robin fighting side by side, but this time Robin was the guys name and not a kid in tights

It's cool, you can put spoilers in this thread. I think he didn't use his real name much, everybody called him Blake through the whole film. I suppose it would seem suspicious if anybody knew his real name, I don't think that matters, it's just a film after all.

Saying that though, I think he went on to become Batman, mainly because of the Bat signal being repaired, which I never noticed when I saw the film for the first time.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 4,813
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Not to mention the Bat-symbol put in place at the end.
    I think he went on to become Batman, mainly because of the Bat signal being repaired.
    Exactly- even for anyone on the fence on the whole thing, you can't deny that Bruce fixed the Batsignal before leaving.

Here- I made this. (it's a slow day at work :) )

NolanRobin-1.jpg
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    In TDK, we saw a group of people that had suffered injustice and decided to follow in Batman's footsteps. The impersonators at the beginning of the film. Bruce later said to Alfred "That's not exactly what I had in mind when I said I wanted to inspire people".
    Why can't they be the symbol of Batman? For all we know, they're orphans, angry, and want to save Gotham from evil as much as Bruce does. The only difference between them and Blake is that Bruce/Batman doesn't know them personally. So anyone can be Batman, as long as Bruce knows them? That doesn't make sense.
    Bruce Wayne is Batman. As I said before, he has a reason for being Batman. His (and the trilogy's) point is that anyone can become a symbol, a hero. Not this one hero.

So, Bruce fixed the Batsignal. So what? Bruce may return. Why have we ruled that out? Because Alfred saw him in Florence, as he said he'd like to when Bruce retires? That's not proof he's retired permanently. He was out of the game for 8 years and came back when he had to. Why not do it again? Because the movie trailers said "The legend ends"? Please.

The only good point I've heard against my theory is: Why Robin John Blake wear a mask and call himself Robin? Fair enough. He may become Nightwing then. It makes even more sense and even fits to the "Blake was Robin in TDKR" theory. As you may know, Dick Grayson, the original Robin, became Nightwing in the comics.

Furthermore, I don't think Blake even has what it takes to become Batman. Bruce spent eight years training with Ra's Al Gul and The League Of Shadows. Blake will become Batman just like that? Very unlikely.