The Eurovision Song Contest Thread

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Loved Slovenia and Lithuania. Also quite liked Luxembourg, Croatia and Ukraine. Quite happy that all of them qualified.

Not impressed with Australia and UK, both singers went off-key on a few occasions. Ireland and Finland not my cup of tea either.

Everything else was passable, though nothing special.
    GoldenGun wrote: »

If one could summarize the whole concept of ESC in one sentence... ;)
    jobo wrote: »

I know that is what many say, and every year there are indeed several entries that do not contradict this statement.

Yet, there are also every year a few fine entries with some ethnic vibes to them, performed in other languages than English for a change.

So yeah, I partly agree, though not entirely. Besides the obligatory stuff that it usually displays, which I'm not too keen on either, it's also a celebration of Europe's cultural and linguistic diversity, and that's what I love about it.
    Not to mention that it has given us (less so as years go by, admittedly) many classic songs. Although I find it curious that the most famous song that came out of the contest didn't win :

And neither did this one, just as famous :

• edited May 8 Posts: 7,506

I know that is what many say, and every year there are indeed several entries that do not contradict this statement.

Yet, there are also every year a few fine entries with some ethnic vibes to them, performed in other languages than English for a change.

So yeah, I partly agree, though not entirely. Besides the obligatory stuff that it usually displays, which I'm not too keen on either, it's also a celebration of Europe's cultural and linguistic diversity, and that's what I love about it.

Ethnic vibes give an extra flavor, but they don't improve the quality of the actual music. Like you, I prefer songs performed in ethnic language and, even better, with folk music incorporated. Very few of these entries are great pop sengs in their own right though.
    edited May 10 Posts: 6,808
    Well that second semi-final did not help my case, that's for sure :))

A big step down from the first one, with either good singers bringing boring songs, or not-so-good singers being unable to move and sing well at the same time.

I had high hopes for San Marino, Greece and Netherlands, which all had studio versions/videos I really liked, but they did not cut it live. The Dutch performer, though, did at least get the crowd going.

I did like Austria and Estonia. Both had a likeable energy to it. Austria just wants to party, but she does it well. Estonia has a quirky vibe that I like. And I also appreciate neither of them going on about how tough their lives have been :p

Already qualified, but worth mentioning regardless, Angelina also performed the Italian song last night. A fun track, in Italian, well-written and perfectly performed. I hope she wins on Saturday.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 10 Posts: 4,462
    Lord of the Rings of Latvia was small song and a lot not expect it go to final show. Don't be surprised if Latvia win because of that. Austria, Armenië, Italy be great too.

I stil missing a litle bit of video clip of The Netherlands, it have been nice if there have showing that on background screen or minimal the guy on the little bike on stage too. Overall i think missing more of spoof factor on screen. But that ''hakkuh'' on stage and public sings with him helps a lot. That he must perform after the very heavy Norway.

I think it was a lot better show then Thuesday, also because audio was a lot better. If Denmark and Belgium part of Thuesday there mabey stay in final, i was surprised that Belgium be aloud to be in same show as Netherlands. Whyle it must be said is that Belgium sometimes not even giving points and overall last couple of years people really focus on song and the act.

Not confirmd yet, but iam won't be suprised if Dutch King wil possible will visit Amsterdam with Kingsday 2025 and if Netherlands wil win Eurovision iam curious or will bring it to Amsterdam too. But my first expection was it will Maastricht this time.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @M_Balje
    What do you mean
    1. that Belgium and The Netherlands shouldn't be allowed in the same show?
    2. that Belgium sometimes doesn't even give points?
    3. that people really focus on the song and the act; what else is there to focus on?

Sigh. My wife forces me to witness this ridiculous and brain-killing spectacle replete with mediocre they-all-sound-alike songs that feel ripped from radio broadcasts from 15 years ago. A marriage can come with surprising sacrifices.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    United by Music? No, Divided by Politics.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I just read that the Dutch guy has been disqualified from competition, due to some physical dispute with either a photographer or a production assistant.

On the upside, it means that Germany can be ranked 25th instead of 26th this year. (Not that I'd care to watch the show, but one can't help reading about it.)
    The Dutch guy disqualified, Israel booed, and suddenly this hilariously boring contest has become shockingly interesting, indeed. :D
  • edited May 11 Posts: 7,506
    Israeli journamists have apparently been harassing several contestants during the last days trying to provoke a reaction. Looks like they finally succeeded with Joost, the Dutch contestant, as their victim. EBU of course play along and immediately disqualify Joost. What a farce.
    edited May 11 Posts: 4,462
    GNSgeClW0AA-2lb?format=jpg&name=large
    Message from tv company..

11 years a go Anouk (song: Birds) end 9th place at same location Malmo in Sweden.

:\">

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-newsifier.ams3.digitaloceanspaces.com%2Fvkmag.newsifier.com%2Fimages%2F2024-03%2Fthumb-vk-lekker-stuiteren-op-de-hardstyle-versie-van-europapa-van-joost-klein-65e3170aae8e5.jpg

Verwoeste-kast-en-bureau-rotated.jpg

;)
    He looks like Blofeld in that shadowy picture. They're not helping his case much there.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    Israeli journamists have apparently been harassing several contestants during the last days trying to provoke a reaction. Looks like they finally succeeded with Joost, the Dutch contestant, as their victim. EBU of course play along and immediately disqualify Joost. What a farce.
    ‘Apparently’ is the key word. But who cares, let’s blame Israel anyway, since they’re obviously responsible for every misery and injustice on this earth.
    That's not new. Since Israel has been part of the ESC, there have always be some problem or other. For example, did Ilanit wear a poncho because she loved that, or did she use it to hide a bulletproof jacket ? And what about Jordan cutting the airing of the contest before Israel was announced as the victor, and then saying that it was Belgium who won ? (in 1978, IIRC). Let's face it, the contest has always been political, and everybody knows it;
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    R1s1ngs0n wrote: »
    ‘Apparently’ is the key word. But who cares, let’s blame Israel anyway, since they’re obviously responsible for every misery and injustice on this earth.
    @R1s1ngs0n, I'm all with you there...but I suppose it doesn't help turning this into a political discussion, which is why I suppressed my own urge to reply to jobo. Just a suggestion, since I'm not a mod...who will sooner or later say the same, however.

Apart from this, I found nothing in the reporting so far that the Dutch guy was disqualified for anything connected to the Gaza conflict.
    edited May 11 Posts: 17,865
    Although Eurovision has always billed itself as non-political I think that's for the birds. Unfortunately, just like in sport, where separate nation states or regions are concerned politics insidiously leaches its way into the contest. It's certainly always on the edge of the contest, such as with the protests outside. That's to say nothing of how politics clearly affected the Eurovision voting system for many years too (and some would say that it still does to some extent). In a contest that should be all about the best singers and song and about genuine talent it's sad to see politics still rear its ugly head.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    @R1s1ngs0n, I'm all with you there...but I suppose it doesn't help turning this into a political discussion, which is why I suppressed my own urge to reply to jobo. Just a suggestion, since I'm not a mod...who will sooner or later say the same, however.

Apart from this, I found nothing in the reporting so far that the Dutch guy was disqualified for anything connected to the Gaza conflict.
    I agree 100%
    I’m certainly not touching on that subject again. If the mod team wants to delete my post, I have no issue with that.

edited May 11 Posts: 23,639
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

I agree 100%
    I’m certainly not touching on that subject again. If the mod team wants to delete my post, I have no issue with that.

Nah, it's fine. Thank you for keeping it civil, gents. We appreciate that.
    Congrats to Switzerland, I had them pegged from the start, should have put a bet on!!
    My favourites, France, came close, but it was no contest in the end!
    For us in Ireland, though it wasn't my cup of tea, it was great to see Bambi Thug do so well, 6th was very respectable! The voting in the end reminded me of the good old days, when my whole family used to stay up and watch the Eurovision, its trash TV, but it was part of my childhood, and enjoyed this year, it does make a difference when you actually qualify and are in the mix!
    edited May 12 Posts: 6,808
    The Swiss song was not my cup of tea, but he did sing well so congrats to them.

Italy was my favourite, she ended in 7th, which isn't too bad but I hoped for better.

Just as much as in sports, I wish politics could be left out of this, though I guess it's a bit naive on my behalf to even hope such a thing to happen.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    David Arnold on Twitter agreed with someone saying that the winning song sounded like one of his Bond songs, which I can kind of see.
    mtm wrote: »
    David Arnold on Twitter agreed with someone saying that the winning song sounded like one of his Bond songs, which I can kind of see.

So can I. Sort of proves my point that Eurovision is about copying what has been done many times before, celebrating mediocrity, and putting on the same show over and over again.
  • edited May 12 Posts: 17,357
    Watched ESC with a little bit more interest last night, since Norway sent a bit different entry, with an award-winning band for this year's contest - only for them to finish last! :))

I'm not that surprised though. Gåte's music is very much hate it or like it, and their play with dialects and songs very much placed in Norwegian folklore is probably not that translatable to the big (ESC) stage.

They were by far the best entry in the Norwegian contest though, which was hilariously bad this year. Second placed KEiiNO, with an entry which can best be described as something 90's band Aqua (the band best known for "Barbie Girl"), would have left out of one of their albums, would probably have finished considerably higher in the contest.
    edited May 12 Posts: 4,462
    Top 16 from Thursday

Uitslag semi 2:
    1. Israel: 194
    2. Nederland: 182 (48 points are from 4 country's who give 12 points each: Austria, Malta, Greece and Belgium.)
    3. Armenië: 137
    4. Zwitserland: 132
    5. Griekenland: 86
    6. Estland: 79
    7. Letland: 72
    8. Georgië: 54
    9. Oostenrijk: 46
    10. Noorwegen: 43
    11. Tsjechië: 38
    12. Denemarken: 36
    13. België: 18
    14. San Marino: 16
    15. Albanië: 14
    16. Malta: 13

Top 15 from Thursday:

Uitslag semi 1:
    1. Kroatië: 177
    2. Oekraïne: 173
    3. Ierland: 124
    4. Litouwen: 119
    5. Luxemburg: 117
    6. Cyprus: 67
    7. Finland: 59
    8. Portugal: 58
    9. Slovenië: 51
    10. Servië: 47
    11. Australië: 41
    12. Polen: 35
    13. Moldavië: 20
    14. Azerbeidzjan: 11
    15. IJsland: 3

Source: https://www.songfestivalweblog.nl/2024/05/nederland-werd-2e-in-halve-finale/

--

Top 6 after both shows:

1. Israel
    2. Nederland
    3. Kroatië
    4. Oekraïne
    5. Armenië
    6. Zwitserland

Top 8 in the final:

1. Zwitserland
    2. Kroatië
    3. Oekraïne
    4. Frankrijk
    5. Israël
    6. Ierland
    7. Italië
    8. Armenië

Top 5 from final look like with only 5 country's from top 6:

1. Zwitserland
    2. Kroatië
    3. Oekraïne
    4. Israël
    5. Armenië

And then again a look to first two shows without The Netherlands:

1. Israel
    2. Kroatië
    3. Oekraïne

4. Armenië
    5. Zwitserland
    I rather liked Norway this year, @Torgeirtrap. They brought one of the few not so mediocre songs. Then again, I'm always in for a good rock song.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I rather liked Norway this year, @Torgeirtrap. They brought one of the few not so mediocre songs. Then again, I'm always in for a good rock song.

ESC without any rock entries would be really boring, wouldn't it? It wasn't great, but I did enjoy Croatia's song this year.

ESC without any rock entries would be really boring, wouldn't it? It wasn't great, but I did enjoy Croatia's song this year.

Agreed, oh absolutely agreed. Norway, Croatia, and yes, Ireland were among my favourites. Silly pop tunes and dull ballads may please most people, but I'm all for guitars and drums.
  • edited May 12 Posts: 17,357

Agreed, oh absolutely agreed. Norway, Croatia, and yes, Ireland were among my favourites. Silly pop tunes and dull ballads may please most people, but I'm all for guitars and drums.

Didn't enjoy the Ireland entry that much, but it certainly stood out, which is a good thing in a competition like this!