The Eurovision Song Contest Thread

12829303133

Comments

  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger we are in this together
    Posts: 44,921
    Favourites to win the Norwegian finals in a couple of weeks. At least for me.

    They won.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 15,832
    I imagine this decision will force Putin to withdraw his armed forces from Ukraine immediately:

    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/european-broadcasting-union-russia-ukraine-turin-maneskin-b2023447.html
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper What does it matter to you...when you got a job to do
    edited February 25 Posts: 6,300
    For whatever it's worth, the European Broadcasting Union excluded Russia from participation in the ESC due to its brazen war of aggression on Ukraine. Not that I care about the ESC at all. The last good song it generated in my opinion was Abba's Waterloo in 1974.

    PS: I wrote this without knowing Dragonpol's contribution at the time I started, so this may be a bit redundant.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited March 12 Posts: 15,832
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    For whatever it's worth, the European Broadcasting Union excluded Russia from participation in the ESC due to its brazen war of aggression on Ukraine. Not that I care about the ESC at all. The last good song it generated in my opinion was Abba's Waterloo in 1974.

    PS: I wrote this without knowing Dragonpol's contribution at the time I started, so this may be a bit redundant.

    I was of course being facetious in my post above, perhaps more than the subject deserves. The Ukrainian people have my sympathy, love and support though there's little I can do for them at a personal level except to pray. I'm glad that the UK and its allies are providing much needed support via weaponry and resources and the economic sanctions against Russia. I'm pleased to see that their brave Ukrainian armed forces and civilians are defending themselves valiantly against this unprovoked invasion by Russia and such wicked aggression isn't going unchecked. I fully expected the Ukrainians to fight for their country and not just down arms the minute the Russians invaded.

    On the wider point of extending the sanctions against Putin's Russia to the worlds of sport, culture and entertainment although I was being facetious above it does all have an important effect on the aggressor and further confirms his pariah status. The "soft power" exerted by being a part of sports and cultural events is not to be underestimated at a popular level among the Russian population. We already know that the vast majority of the Russian people do not support this war. In Russia, there are daily protests at considerable risk to life and limb to tell the world that this invasion and war is not being done in their name. It could be said that the exclusion of Russia from sports and cultural events may not have as immediate an effect as economic sanctions but they do further aggravate the Russian population and continue to alienate them from the rogue Putin regime that brought all of this censure on the head of Russia. It all adds to the domestic pressure to withdraw his armed forces from Ukraine. It also affects the prestige and influence Putin has built up for himself in the sports and cultural arena as the International Judo Federation's announcement of the suspension of Putin’s status as Honorary President and Ambassador of the International Judo Federation also shows.
  • Posts: 5,230
    The Breton song France decided to select :



    Not the first time a Breton song has been selected. Remember this one ?



    Now, will it win ? That's the question. But I'm willing to bet it will have a good life in nightclubs.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e il momento che verrà
    Posts: 5,992
    Gerard wrote: »
    The Breton song France decided to select :



    Not the first time a Breton song has been selected. Remember this one ?



    Now, will it win ? That's the question. But I'm willing to bet it will have a good life in nightclubs.

    I applaud countries that select a song in their own language, or, as in this case, one of their regional languages.

    There used to be a time when you could turn on the radio and hear four or five different languages in the span of two hours, but like in so many aspects of modern ‘cultural’ life everything has become monolingual.

    I wouldn’t claim that this contest is anything more than it is, but at the very least it offers some linguistic variety. Not as much as I would like, but still…
  • MonsieurMerciMonsieurMerci France
    Posts: 97
    Congratulations UK, not only a solid entry, but also my favourite Eurovision 2022 song so far! (5 songs haven't still been revealed)


  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger we are in this together
    Posts: 44,921
    I like Estonia this year


    and also Iceland

  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Posts: 2,352
    'Eurovision Canada' will join the family in 2023 🇨🇦
    https://eurovision.tv/story/eurovision-canada-2023
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper What does it matter to you...when you got a job to do
    Posts: 6,300
    And the winner will be without doubt: Ukraine. Just saying.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Posts: 1,072
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    And the winner will be without doubt: Ukraine. Just saying.

    It helps that the song is an absolute banger:


    But yeah, the odds makers have them easily winning. Looking forward to ESC 2023 in Kyiv!
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 15,832
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    And the winner will be without doubt: Ukraine. Just saying.

    And they say that political voting isn't a thing...
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper What does it matter to you...when you got a job to do
    Posts: 6,300
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    And the winner will be without doubt: Ukraine. Just saying.

    And they say that political voting isn't a thing...
    It has *always* been a thing, as long as I can remember. But this year it will be more obvious than ever. Quite understandably, by the way.
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 15,832
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    And the winner will be without doubt: Ukraine. Just saying.

    And they say that political voting isn't a thing...
    It has *always* been a thing, as long as I can remember. But this year it will be more obvious than ever. Quite understandably, by the way.

    Yes, for once it will be an example of positive political voting at least to show solidarity with Ukraine. Eurovision should really be about the talent of the singers and the quality of the songs and nothing else extraneous to that. However, as you say, political voting has always been a problem for the contest, despite reforms.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger we are in this together
    Posts: 44,921
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 14 Posts: 4,041
    Cypres was not selected thanks to the downside of You only can vote on the day your country performance. So Netherlands can't vote on Thursday and is reasen why Belgium performance be on Thursday too and there can't vote on Thuesday.

    Looking to what we get Thuesday and how Greece performance be, i think Cypres should have performed on Thuesday and Greece on Thursday. With Thursday vote i disagree with 2-3 of songs, i choose for Cypres insteed of the country who almoost did nothing with guitar (Azerbajan ?).

    The last country that permormed last on Thursday was very good too, mabey also option to be the winner


  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 15,832
    There's talk that the UK will do a lot better this time around and not get the dreaded nil points like it usually does. Of course only time will tell but it looks like this Contest is Ukraine's to lose.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Posts: 21,347
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    There's talk that the UK will do a lot better this time around and not get the dreaded nil points like it usually does. Of course only time will tell but it looks like this Contest is Ukraine's to lose.

    And then Ukraine won. ;-)
  • Posts: 12,415
    Although i do not watch this, I think it is fair to say we all knew Ukraine would win as a show of solidarity throughout Europe.

  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe Moderator
    Posts: 12,803
    I only caught the highlights afterwards. I can't believe we did so well. It was obvious that Ukraine would win. But still. We had more points than the last 12 years combined, and the most points we have ever had in a single year!
  • DragonpolDragonpol Writer @ http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Posts: 15,832
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    There's talk that the UK will do a lot better this time around and not get the dreaded nil points like it usually does. Of course only time will tell but it looks like this Contest is Ukraine's to lose.

    And then Ukraine won. ;-)

    Yes, I did suspect so from everything I'd heard running up to the contest. I actually did break my cardinal rule and watched the end of the Eurovision Song Contest. I couldn't believe how well the UK did with its entry and it actually got most points in the country by country jury vote. Of course it ultimately lost out on the popular vote to Ukraine but coming in second is very respectable for a country that often comes last with nil points! :)
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited May 15 Posts: 21,347
    As usual, I found no joy in ploughing through this freakshow, but I did, at my wife's request. I got distracted early on and started dusting off some book shelves. Also as usual, I am befuddled by the outdatedness of the music, the fact that this European contest includes a post-Brexit Britain and one of its colonies from the other side of the globe, the impossibly ridiculous voting system, and the supposedly zero-politics climate in which this highly political show takes place. One man's absurdity is another man's answer to all life questions, I suppose. But please, don't let my dark cynicism take any of the pleasure away. I am, after all, a simple guy who watches Steven Seagal movies of his own volition. 😉
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper What does it matter to you...when you got a job to do
    Posts: 6,300
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    As usual, I found no joy in ploughing through this freakshow, but I did, at my wife's request. I got distracted early on and started dusting off some book shelves. Also as usual, I am befuddled by the outdatedness of the music, the fact that this European contest includes a post-Brexit Britain and one of its colonies from the other side of the globe, the impossibly ridiculous voting system, and the supposedly zero-politics climate in which this highly political show takes place. One man's absurdity is another man's answer to all life questions, I suppose. But please, don't let my dark cynicism take any of the pleasure away. I am, after all, a simple guy who watches Steven Seagal movies of his own volition. 😉
    I didn't watch the show either (in fact am so disinterested in it that I only learned this morning that it took place last night), but I'm sort of satisfied that the Ukrainians won as I predicted without having heard a single one of those songs. For the last thirty-some years or so, I may add.
  • Posts: 5,230
    the fact that this European contest includes a post-Brexit Britain

    That's because the UK is a member of the European Broadcasting Union, and has been since forever. So, it's entitled to be a part of the contest, just as other members of the EBU, such as Morocco and Israel, for example. In fact, the UK has been a part of the contest way before it joined the Common Market. As for Australia, however, I would agree with you, Olivia Newton John notwithstanding. (yes, she took part in the contest for the UK in the 70s).
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Posts: 21,347
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    As usual, I found no joy in ploughing through this freakshow, but I did, at my wife's request. I got distracted early on and started dusting off some book shelves. Also as usual, I am befuddled by the outdatedness of the music, the fact that this European contest includes a post-Brexit Britain and one of its colonies from the other side of the globe, the impossibly ridiculous voting system, and the supposedly zero-politics climate in which this highly political show takes place. One man's absurdity is another man's answer to all life questions, I suppose. But please, don't let my dark cynicism take any of the pleasure away. I am, after all, a simple guy who watches Steven Seagal movies of his own volition. 😉
    I didn't watch the show either (in fact am so disinterested in it that I only learned this morning that it took place last night), but I'm sort of satisfied that the Ukrainians won as I predicted without having heard a single one of those songs. For the last thirty-some years or so, I may add.

    Well, at the very least, we may be coming closer to a united Europe than ever before, so far in this century, symbolized by Ukraine's victory last night. If nothing else, that was worth the acid trip that is Eurosong, I guess. 😉 Still, most of this "music" is horrendously bad IMO, and the shows even worse. I'm not even that persnickety about my taste in music; I just find Eurosong an exercise in mediocrity and daftness. There's nothing there for me. I am glad my wife loves this so much; it gives her something to look forward to every year. I'm happy for her, while I am in a state of utter grumpiness, plotting out my world domination plans.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e il momento che verrà
    Posts: 5,992
    I for one really like the acid trip that it is the Eurovision song contest. Obviously not because there’s any artistic value in the music to be spotted (though every year there’s always one entry I think is pretty good, last year Ukraine, this year Serbia).

    I like this contest because I love all the European countries come together and have a song represent them, I love how eclectic it gets, with soft easy-listening songs like the one from Portugal at one point, and ethnic tribal electro like France’s song a few moments later.

    It’s also nice to see more and more countries singing in their native language again, something that I can appreciate as a language-nerd. I’d also argue music (or film, or any form of cultural expression) doesn’t have to be groundbreaking to be enjoyed (or to be considered well-done).

    I am one the people that watches this contest every year, enjoying it as an over-the-top celebration of Europe’s cultural and linguistic diversity.

    As for Ukraine’s victory, it was to be expected, but their song was pretty good anyway.
  • edited May 16 Posts: 5,076
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I for one really like the acid trip that it is the Eurovision song contest. Obviously not because there’s any artistic value in the music to be spotted (though every year there’s always one entry I think is pretty good, last year Ukraine, this year Serbia).

    I like this contest because I love all the European countries come together and have a song represent them, I love how eclectic it gets, with soft easy-listening songs like the one from Portugal at one point, and ethnic tribal electro like France’s song a few moments later.

    It’s also nice to see more and more countries singing in their native language again, something that I can appreciate as a language-nerd. I’d also argue music (or film, or any form of cultural expression) doesn’t have to be groundbreaking to be enjoyed (or to be considered well-done).

    I am one the people that watches this contest every year, enjoying it as an over-the-top celebration of Europe’s cultural and linguistic diversity.

    As for Ukraine’s victory, it was to be expected, but their song was pretty good anyway.

    Was Serbia the handwashing one? Hilarious!
    As a kid we watched the Eurovision every year, and the best part was the voting! Its nothing to do with music now, and its become a mind bending visual extravaganza!
    Still, I did fancy Spain this year ( not entirely to do with the song..ahem!!)
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e il momento che verrà
    Posts: 5,992
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I for one really like the acid trip that it is the Eurovision song contest. Obviously not because there’s any artistic value in the music to be spotted (though every year there’s always one entry I think is pretty good, last year Ukraine, this year Serbia).

    I like this contest because I love all the European countries come together and have a song represent them, I love how eclectic it gets, with soft easy-listening songs like the one from Portugal at one point, and ethnic tribal electro like France’s song a few moments later.

    It’s also nice to see more and more countries singing in their native language again, something that I can appreciate as a language-nerd. I’d also argue music (or film, or any form of cultural expression) doesn’t have to be groundbreaking to be enjoyed (or to be considered well-done).

    I am one the people that watches this contest every year, enjoying it as an over-the-top celebration of Europe’s cultural and linguistic diversity.

    As for Ukraine’s victory, it was to be expected, but their song was pretty good anyway.

    Was Serbia the handwashing one? Hilarious!
    As a kid we watched the Eurovision every year, and the best part was the voting! Its nothing to do with music now, and its become a mind bending visual extravaganza!
    Still, I did fancy Spain this year ( not entirely to do with the song..ahem!!)

    I quite liked Spain too, I loved their rhythm, their energy and their, ahem, performance ;)

    Serbia were indeed the ones with the hand-washing, I read somewhere it’s a critique on the country ‘s healthcare system. Check out the subtitles of the lyrics.



    Great stuff, imo :)
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited May 16 Posts: 1,491
    Who wants the glossy, slick production and serious songs of Eurovision 2022, though? What happened to song after song of unreconstructed Euro tat that cost 12 pence to stage? A shower of clods in giant dunce hats, parping on unfeasibly long trumpets and a fairy on a unicycle - this is what we want from Eurovision!

  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 18 Posts: 4,041
    It turn out that The Netherlands end 2th place (from 17) on first Thuesday performance and 6th place from all 20 selected songs.

    Top 6 (From 17) from that Thuesday:
    1. Ukraine (Final: 1/25)
    2. The Netherlands (Final: 11/25)
    3. Greece (Final: 8/25)
    4. Portugal (Final: 9/25)
    5. Armenia (Final: 20/25)
    6. Norway (Final: 10/25)

    Top 6 (From 18) Thursday:
    1. Sweden (Final: 4/25)
    2. Australia (Final: 15/25)
    3. Serbia (Final: 5/25)
    4. Czech (Final: 22/25)
    5. Estonia (Final: 13/25)
    6. Poland (Final: 12/25)

    It turn out that Azerbeidzjan song was last favorite from public with zero points and only end final because Jury give song 96 points.

    Top 6 from 20 selected songs:
    1. Sweden
    2. Ukraine
    3. Australia
    4. Serbia
    5. Czech
    6. The Netherlands

    In the final overall Switzerland was last favorite from the public (and second last favorite by the Jury who give Germany zero points.) by Jury with zero points followd by Australia (2 points), Azerbeidzjan (3 points), Belgium/Czech (5 points) and then followed by Germany with 6 points who was overall biggest loser of the show. It turn out that 4 from 5 points that Belgium get from the public are given by Dutch public.
Sign In or Register to comment.