Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    edited April 10 Posts: 155
    James Corden basically is a bad person, extremely unlikeable in the broadest sense of the word. Pun intended, he deserves it. Anyhoo, @Mendes4Lyfe you and I are aligned regarding Turner. At least he has some of this 'big dick energy', whereas ATJ merely has some weewee energy. Bond needs the former.
  • edited April 10 Posts: 303
    I think Bond actors need a certain uniqueness to their look, and Cavill, Suter, James just look like "non-descript attractive man" to me. As much as I don't like his films, even Craig had a distinct look, and to me Aidan Turner has that. He has an aura about him not a lot of the current crop seems to have.

well, Moore and Brosnan had a "male model" look.

Sean Connery and Roger Moore did modeling before becoming actors.
    After working a string of odd jobs — which included a gig as a nude model — Connery entered the Mr. Universe pageant in 1953 held in London.
    Few, however, know that at the beginnings of his career in the 1950s, Roger Moore became a quite famous knitwear model so much that he was named the “Big Knit“. British housewives admired him, before he became an international sex symbol, while wearing cardigans, pullovers and v-neck sweaters always with elegance and style.

Three of the six official Bond actors were models. B-)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    bondywondy wrote: »
    I think Bond actors need a certain uniqueness to their look, and Cavill, Suter, James just look like "non-descript attractive man" to me. As much as I don't like his films, even Craig had a distinct look, and to me Aidan Turner has that. He has an aura about him not a lot of the current crop seems to have.

After working a string of odd jobs — which included a gig as a nude model — Connery entered the Mr. Universe pageant in 1953 held in London.
    Few, however, know that at the beginnings of his career in the 1950s, Roger Moore became a quite famous knitwear model so much that he was named the “Big Knit“. British housewives admired him, before he became an international sex symbol, while wearing cardigans, pullovers and v-neck sweaters always with elegance and style.

Connery was a nude male model for life drawing classes, @DEKE_RIVERS … it’s not the same as a male model. They were using his body for poses to sketch.

Not gonna lie, I just looked up what Moore looked like as a knitwear model and...

roger-moore-knitwear-model-4.jpg

That definitely looks like a man who 50s housewives would admire...
  • edited April 10 Posts: 89
    Looks like the clothes have more personality than him... how he was at delivering jokes would be unbelievable based on this photo

Yeah, I know but Connery's face had more personalty.
    Looks like the clothes have more personality than him... how he was a delivering jokes would be unbelievable based on this photo

I do wonder how we'd react to Rog as a potential Bond nowadays if that picture were posted here, haha.
    007HallY wrote: »
    I'm sure the producers at EON know of him. But he may well not be what they're looking for. He might also be. It really depends.

I don't think he's interested though. There's really no game to play at this point.

How do you know he is not interested? All these actors play the game, and are reluctant to say anything to anyone in public, until the deal is done and signed.

If anything, I'm guessing actors who are close to signing a deal may in fact go the other way when approached by the press, just to throw people off the scent.
  • edited April 11 Posts: 2,943
    I'm sure the producers at EON know of him. But he may well not be what they're looking for. He might also be. It really depends.

I don't think he's interested though. There's really no game to play at this point.

How do you know he is not interested? All these actors play the game, and are reluctant to say anything to anyone in public, until the deal is done and signed.

If anything, I'm guessing actors who are close to signing a deal may in fact go the other way when approached by the press, just to throw people off the scent.

Because he’s said he doesn’t think he’s the man for the job.

I’m genuinely interested in what this ‘game’ actors play actually is. It doesn’t seem like anyone’s going to sign as there have been no auditions. So we’re still early into this process. Why would an actor say openly that they don’t think they’re right for the part? It’d be very strange and counterintuitive if they did want the part, and I suspect it'd be a turn off if the producers found the actor to be duplicitous in quite this way. I don’t think that would be the answer he’d give if he was truly interested in the role.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited April 11 Posts: 2,932
    I’m genuinely interested in what this ‘game’ actors play actually is.
    Tom Hardy: 'There's a saying amongst us in the fraternity of acting that if you talk about Bond rumours you're automatically out of the race.'

Aidan Turner: 'I’d rather not say anything. It seems like it’s the Judas kiss – once you comment on it, it disappears.'

Richard Madden: 'I don't want to curse anything by saying anything. I think that's the curse of that (Bond). If you talk about anything, you'll curse it.'

Theo James saying openly that he's not right for Bond could be seen as an extension of that, really. Maybe even a spot of reverse psychology.

Venutius wrote: »
    Tom Hardy: 'There's a saying amongst us in the fraternity of acting that if you talk about Bond rumours you're automatically out of the race.'

Aidan Turner: 'I’d rather not say anything. It seems like it’s the Judas kiss – once you comment on it, it disappears.'

Richard Madden: 'I don't want to curse anything by saying anything. I think that's the curse of that. If you talk about anything, you'll curse it.'

Theo James saying openly that he's not right for Bond is just an extension of that, really. Maybe even a spot of reverse psychology.

They know this and we know this too.

That's why I think Tom Bateman has a chance. No one talks about him ;)

Richard Madden: 'I don't want to curse anything by saying anything. I think that's the curse of that (Bond). If you talk about anything, you'll curse it.'

Theo James saying openly that he's not right for Bond could be seen as an extension of that, really. Maybe even a spot of reverse psychology.

But he did talk about it. More so and explicitly than someone like ATJ or those others from what I understand. So if James does believe that commenting on Bond rumours rules you out (I don’t think it does exactly, and none of those actors were ever going to get the role anyway) he’s knowingly ruled himself out.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside

Great research as always mate.
    When you look back at interviews with Daniel in 2004-05, he's constantly asked about Bond and he answers it honestly. He even talks about being in talks over the role and everything
    Maybe Barbara made an exception for Daniel?
  • meshypushymeshypushy Ireland
    If Theo gets it, we’ll have gone from CraigBond to JamesBond…
    I’m sure these things are often more simple than we make them out to be. If EON are interested in certain actors (and of course they seemingly were very interested in Craig) then they’ll approach and try to convince them to audition. That’s all there is to it. These actors not speaking about it seems more like superstition than anything else. I doubt EON would turn away an actor they like just because they say publicly they’re a fan of the series and if offered they’d consider it.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    edited April 11 Posts: 735
    Theo James downplays talk of him becoming Bond, he never rules himself out or says he doesn't want it (or at least, I've not seen him do so). A few years ago I was asked to mod a forum; I wrote a rather long, rambling reply that said I was flattered to be asked, but I didn't think I was right for the job. I received the reply "welcome aboard". People take someone saying they don't think they're right for the job as them simply being modest or unsure.

Theo James may well have worries about what Bond might mean to his life; he may have concerns about growing older on camera (he's talked about moving away from acting to producing in the future); I don't think anything he's said would lead Eon to skip inviting him to audition if they wanted him, though, and I don't think he's refuse if they did.

Honestly, I think he's older than they want, so I think he's one of those candidates like Jamie Dornan who would be great now, but will probably be a little too old by the time Eon get to casting to play the role for another fifteen years. I think we're looking at an actor who's still in their thirties.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Considering and negotiating a role like Bond is not a simple thing; it is a commitment of at least a decade, probably more, and will propel an actor to a level of recognition and fame that they may or may not want. Some actors may actually see it as something that could limit their careers.

Also, there are financial considerations; an actor and their agent want as much money as they can get, while the producers and studios want to pay a little as they can reasonably negotiate. This can result in both sides not initially revealing just how eager they are, the actor wanting the role, and the producers wanting to sign him .

The process is the "game". so to speak.
  • edited April 11 Posts: 718
    I’m sure these things are often more simple than we make them out to be. If EON are interested in certain actors (and of course they seemingly were very interested in Craig) then they’ll approach and try to convince them to audition. That’s all there is to it. These actors not speaking about it seems more like superstition than anything else. I doubt EON would turn away an actor they like just because they say publicly they’re a fan of the series and if offered they’d consider it.

It depends on how many options they have. Brosnan and Dalton were good enough to get the job in the 80s.

If the race is close everything counts
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited April 11 Posts: 2,932
    But he did talk about it. More so and explicitly than someone like ATJ or those others from what I understand. So if James does believe that commenting on Bond rumours rules you out (I don’t think it does exactly, and none of those actors were ever going to get the role anyway) he’s knowingly ruled himself out.
    Yeah, maybe. Unless the reverse psychology's in play. obvs. ;) But that's Devil's Advocate stuff and I do get the impression that he's not that fussed. Like sandbagger1 said, he's also nearly 40, so realistically he's on the very edge of being too old, anyway. He could very well be all too aware of that and feel that there's no point getting his hopes up. At this point, though, I'll take him at his word: he's not bothered.

Jordo007 wrote: »
    Maybe Barbara made an exception for Daniel?
    Yeah, I think so, tbh. From everything that was said later, EON saying explicitly that they wanted him to do it, etc, it does look as if the role was Dan's for the asking, so he was in a better position than other 'candidates.'

meshypushy wrote: »
    If Theo gets it, we’ll have gone from CraigBond to JamesBond…
    Arf! :D
    Theo James downplays talk of him becoming Bond, he never rules himself out or says he doesn't want it (or at least, I've not seen him do so). A few years ago I was asked to mod a forum; I wrote a rather long, rambling reply that said I was flattered to be asked, but I didn't think I was right for the job. I received the reply "welcome aboard". People take someone saying they don't think they're right for the job as them simply being modest or unsure.

Theo James may well have worries about what Bond might mean to his life; he may have concerns about growing older on camera (he's talked about moving away from acting to producing in the future); I don't think anything he's said would lead Eon to skip inviting him to audition if they wanted him, though, and I don't think he's refuse if they did.

Honestly, I think he's older than they want, so I think he's one of those candidates like Jamie Dornan who would be great now, but will probably be a little too old by the time Eon get to casting to play the role for another fifteen years. I think we're looking at an actor who's still in their thirties.

Oh for sure if they want him they’ll try and get him. But the point is he’s not lying. There’s a very good possibility if he was approached he’d turn it down.

It depends on how many options they have. Brosnan and Dalton were good enough to get the job in the 80s.

If the race is close everything counts

I suppose Brosnan and Dalton are two sides to this coin. Dalton was seemingly reluctant to take the role and had to be convinced. Brosnan seemingly wanted the role and even in between the 80s and his era leaned into playing a sort of Bondian character in those Diet Coke commercials. Both actors were picked.
    Yeah, maybe. Unless the reverse psychology's in play. obvs. ;) But that's Devil's Advocate stuff and I do get the impression that he's not that fussed. He's also nearly 40, so realistically he's on the very edge of being too old, anyway. He could very well be all too aware of that and feel that there's no point getting his hopes up. At this point, though, I'll take him at his word: he's not bothered.

Yeah agreed. As others have said some actors may feel limited by the thought of taking Bond too.
    As far as age, looking at photos, and films from over the past ten to 15 years, James is aging extremely well; clean shaven he could easily pass for a decade younger than he is. If they are looking to launch the new Bond era within the next few years, age is not an issue for him.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited April 11 Posts: 3,391
    Deleted
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited April 11 Posts: 2,517
    As time goes on waiting for Bond #7's casting, the more I believe that either, EON aren't impressed with anybody or they're waiting for their man to age / become available
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited April 11 Posts: 14,981
    I suppose Brosnan and Dalton are two sides to this coin. Dalton was seemingly reluctant to take the role and had to be convinced. Brosnan seemingly wanted the role and even in between the 80s and his era leaned into playing a sort of Bondian character in those Diet Coke commercials. Both actors were picked. .

I still find it lightly amazing that Brosnan was given the role in the 90s after he had actually himself approached McClory to try and get a rival Bond film off the ground. If there's anything which would put a black mark against an actor's name you'd imagine it would be trying to steal Eon's business. I guess they don't bear grudges in the way they're sometimes personified as doing.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »
    As far as age, looking at photos, and films from over the past ten to 15 years, James is aging extremely well; clean shaven he could easily pass for a decade younger than he is. If they are looking to launch the new Bond era within the next few years, age is not an issue for him.

I couldn’t believe how pics from Divergent, looked as if they were taken yesterday.

He’s a vampire, plain and simple….
    mtm wrote: »
    I suppose Brosnan and Dalton are two sides to this coin. Dalton was seemingly reluctant to take the role and had to be convinced. Brosnan seemingly wanted the role and even in between the 80s and his era leaned into playing a sort of Bondian character in those Diet Coke commercials. Both actors were picked. .

I still find it lightly amazing that Brosnan was given the role in the 90s after he had actually himself approached McClory to try and get a rival Bond film off the ground. If there's anything which would put a black mark against an actor's name you'd imagine it would be trying to steal Eon's business. I guess they don't bear grudges in the way they're sometimes personified as doing.

Cubby didn't wait for him either. Fair play I guess.
    He has never been high on my list for Bond, but Tom Hiddleston is returning to the character that helped put him on the public's radar as a possible 007.

https://deadline.com/2024/04/the-night-manager-season-2-3-bbc-amazon-hugh-laurie-1235881573/
  • mtm wrote: »

If “Some Kind of Hero” is any indication, I don’t think EON was really given much of a choice. Glad he was still cast however.
  • Informe_James_BondInforme_James_Bond Dominican Republic
    You cannot take these actors who are famous and very popular internationally, but above all actors who are known and who are linked to another character.

I don't know why you guys keep mentioning Henry Cavill, Tom Hiddleston and Tom Hardy. :-S Superman, Loki and Venom!!

If you are a Bond Fan and you know the history of how the actor's choice has been, then you should not think about them.

;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited April 11 Posts: 40,490
    You cannot take these actors who are famous and very popular internationally, but above all actors who are known and who are linked to another character.

I don't know why you guys keep mentioning Henry Cavill, Tom Hiddleston and Tom Hardy. :-S Superman, Loki and Venom!!

If you are a Bond Fan and you know the history of how the actor's choice has been, then you should not think about them.

;)

I know this is generally how it works but my question is always: why? Maybe it's something apparent that I'm overlooking but I really can't understand the logic behind it.