What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »
    Nothing indicates that he passed on Bond 26 .

It’s okay @talos7@Mendes4Lyfe likes to make things up as he goes along.

This is a book that was just optioned today.

They have no script, no actors, no release date..

If they started writing and developing the script today, they’d hit production in a couple of years and release the film three years from now.

But, because @Mendes4Lyfe has a short memory, Villeneuve himself said that, for his “own sanity”, he wants to direct a project BEFORE D3: Messiah.

About a couple weeks after he said this, he let the world know there’s a “secret project” that he’s “not at liberty to speak about,” but “it has to see the light of day quickly”.

This new project is about five to six years away if Villeneuve does his “secret project”, then he does D3, then the non-fiction adaptation of the book.
    Looks like Denis has passed on Bond 26, if he was ever involved to begin with. We're back to square one folks. He'll direct Messiah, then this new project.

Buckle up, we're in for the long haul.

Please read my comment right before yours.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Looks like Denis has passed on Bond 26, if he was ever involved to begin with. We're back to square one folks. He'll direct Messiah, then this new project.

Buckle up, we're in for the long haul.

Please read my comment right before yours.

@Colonel_Venus , he probably did. But he ignores things that don’t fit his narrative.
    Also, to complicate things, fresh rumours about Villeneuve being in talks to direct Bond, this time from Monreal, Villeneuve's home town: https://www.985fm.ca/audio/616961/et-si-le-prochain-james-bond-etait-realise-par-denis-villeneuve
    Another site wrote the following regarding this rumor:
    Yesterday, journalist Henry Arnaud, from Villeneuve’s hometown of Montreal, reported that he had two in-the-know sources telling him that Villeneuve had begun high-level talks with Bond producer Barbara Broccoli to direct the next James Bond. I immediately contacted Villeneuve’s rep for comment who told me the story wasn’t true.
    Source: https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2024/4/4/denis-villeneuve-set-to-direct-nuclear-war-after-dune-messiah
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Kojak007 , I think I said on this very site on, or around Feb 20, that Villeneuve was the main guy… Before these reports, I believe….

Now, the buzz is there— not “breaking news”, and not close to it. But the buzz has started to circulate…
    IF he, or anyone, is in high level talks with EoN, is his rep going to tell World of Reel, DURING negotiations?
    Just let everything play out.

• edited April 4 Posts: 9,771
    Guy ritchie…. I am sorry but his new movie looks fun

Let purvis and wade come up with a great story based on diamonds are forever have Cavill as bond being back Fiennes hire a hot blonde to play the new female diamond smuggler/thief get a rock band to do the theme and call it the diamond smuggler and there ya go

Now i know many will demand i turn my bond card in so be it i am gonna get the biggest glass i have fill it with vodka drink it then take a bath and go to bed
    peter wrote: »
    @Kojak007 , I think I said on this very site on, or around Feb 20, that Villeneuve was the main guy… Before these reports, I believe….

Now, the buzz is there— not “breaking news”, and not close to it. But the buzz has started to circulate…
    IF he, or anyone, is in high level talks with EoN, is his rep going to tell World of Reel, DURING negotiations?
    Just let everything play out.

Yeah, we know they can lie. That's why the ATJ rumor is still alive.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited April 5 Posts: 8,098
    There's a great hollywood reset happening, and it goes way beyond just Bond. The old guard directors are slowly reaching the end of their careers Francis, Ridley, Steven, Quientin, and Marty, and a new generation of divirse genre autuers is rising with the likes of Greta Gerwig, Fede Alvaraz, Dev Patel, Gareth Edwards and spearheaded by the established titans Chris and Denis. Look at all the franchises reboots, soft prequels and spinoffs happening now, it's like the whole industry is finally catching up to the post covid landscape. Alien, Matrix, Scream, Jurassic, Naked Gun, Superman, Chronicles of Narnia, Wonka, the Running Man, etc. It really does seem like a hard shift is happening, similar to the 70's, where creative people are being put back in command, budgets are being slashed, and that in years to come you will be able to easily delineate the bloated franchises of the early 2020's, Flash, Fast and Furious, Indiana Jones, Aquaman, which look big and impressive but feel like empty calories, and the edigier, more passion-driven films like monkey man.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    There's a great hollywood reset happening, and it goes way beyond just Bond. The old guard directors are slowly reaching the end of their careers Francis, Ridley, Steven, Quientin, and Marty, and a new generation of divirse genre autuers is rising with the likes of Greta Gerwig, Fede Alvaraz, Dev Patel, Gareth Edwards and spearheaded by the established titans Chris and Denis. Look at all the franchises reboots, soft prequels and spinoffs happening now, it's like the whole industry is finally catching up to the post covid landscape. Alien, Matrix, Scream, Jurassic, Naked Gun, Superman, Chronicles of Narnia, Wonka, the Running Man, etc. It really does seem like a hard shift is happening, similar to the 70's, where creative people are being put back in command, budgets are being slashed, and that in years to come you will be able to easily delineate the bloated franchises of the early 2020's, Flash, Fast and Furious, Indiana Jones, Aquaman, which look big and impressive but feel like empty calories, and the edigier, more passion-driven films like monkey man.

Wow, @Mendes4Lyfe , you're on a first name basis with these directors? That's incredible.

And, who is Quientin?

And, you should speak to a few of these directors and see if your post is accurate.

Because, it's not. Behind the scenes we have the studios green lighting less, and less. You have a lot of unemployed above, and below line talent.

You have studio heads saying no" to projects, because "no", is the one word that will salvage your job for now.

In short, when you speak to anyone from agents, to stunt people to above and below line talent, they will tell you what's happening right now, and that is fear, fear that hasn't been seen like this in, pretty much forever.

Wow, @Mendes4Lyfe , you're on a first name basis with these directors? That's incredible.

And, who is Quientin?

And, you should speak to a few of these directors and see if your post is accurate.

Because, it's not. Behind the scenes we have the studios green lighting less, and less. You have a lot of unemployed above, and below line talent.

You have studio heads saying no" to projects, because "no", is the one word that will salvage your job for now.

In short, when you speak to anyone from agents, to stunt people to above and below line talent, they will tell you what's happening right now, and that is fear, fear that hasn't been seen like this in, pretty much forever.

All the franchises are being overhauled, including DC and Marvel. Gareth Edwards is taking over Jurassic, with Scarlett Johansson as the new lead. They're moving away from the Speilberg model of awe-inspiring visuals, and heartwarming messages about family to a leaner meaner survival tale. It's industry wide. Alien Romolus, cutting the fat and returning to the scares and tension of the original. Naked Gun reviving the spoof genre with Liam Neeson after 30 years of those awful "Date/Scary/Epic Movie" cash grabs. After the pandemic studios tried to carry on as usual, and it took them a couple years, and lots of lost money at the boxoffice to discover that the old way is outdated, it won't work anymore, not across the board anyway. Hollywood has finally wisened up, and what we're seeing is that the old franchises or either going to pasture (like fast and furious) or being rebirthed, like Superman, Alien Romulus, Matrix, Jurassic etc.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Mendes4Lyfe , there is no re-set.

Franchises go through rebirths about every decade.

And you’re talking about a return to grit, when a few months ago you were banging on that audiences wanted more light, whimsical fair.

You’re speaking out of both sides of your mouth and commenting on films that haven’t been released yet.

And please explain what the “old way” is and why it is “outdated”.

Your post is a lovely word salad, very low calorie, but leaves me very confused.
    Gareth Edwards Godzilla was a borefest. If this is the future of cinema...
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    They're actually making a new Naked Gun with Liam Neeson in the lead?
    I love Liam Neeson as an actor. But he's no Leslie Nielsen. That dead pan delivery just cant be replicated the same way. It's one of those franchises that should be left in the past.
    And since when has Dev Patel been an accomplished and admired director?
    I think he's a great actor, and I'm aware of his directorial debut with Monkey Man ( a John Wick rip off as far as I can see) but I wouldn't place him in a list of upcoming directors to watch.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Mendes4Lyfe makes up things as he goes along.

Hollywood is continuing with its IP obsession, and the interesting spec sales are almost dry, just hanging on, and finding life where they’ve found life over the past thirty years: more in the indie world than the Studio System… it’s about IP, IP, IP in Hollywood, and that hasn’t changed (less risk, hopefully more reward).

But who am I to argue with a guy on a first name basis with such directors as “Quietin”…??
    @Mendes4Lyfe , there is no re-set.

Franchises go through rebirths about every decade.

And you’re talking about a return to grit, when a few months ago you were banging on that audiences wanted more light, whimsical fair.

You’re speaking out of both sides of your mouth and commenting on films that haven’t been released yet.

And please explain what the “old way” is and why it is “outdated”.

Your post is a lovely word salad, very low calorie, but leaves me very confused.

Franchises Go through rebirths, that's why I made a point to say its industry-wide. They're happening in tandem, thats the strange part. Complete overhaul at DC, Marvel chucking out their plans for secret wars and retooling, Jurassic cutting out the World/park casts, even Fast 11 has halved its budget and is going back to street races.

"Old ways" refers to the common way of franchise films to bring in nostalgia, familiar faces, fan service, pump up spectacle, play it safe, don't paint outside the lines, make back an easy 3 to 3.5 times your budget, rinse repeat. This is the model that Flash, Aquaman, The Marvels, Ghostbuster Frozen Empire, Transformers Rise of the Beasts, Fast X, Antman Quantumania, Fantastic Beasts 3 and many others were still using and it blew up in their face. The game has changed now, it's adapt or die.

Light and whimsical and cutting out the fat aren't mutually exclusive. Raiders of the lost ark is a much much more streamlined film than Dail of Destiny, but in terms of tone they aren't too far apart. Franchises are being paired down, that's the bottom line. In the case of Alien that means a return to low-fi claustrophobic tension, in the case of Bond that might mean cutting out the scenes of Bond staring at old photos with a face burnt out, and familial connections, and returning to more streamlined adventures like TND.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Father @Mendes4Lyfe , your logic and experience in the film industry is so advanced, I have no idea what you’re going on about. But when you’re on a first name basis with these directors, I guess you just know more about the industry, 🤷‍♂️.

Thank you @Mendes4Lyfe for enlightening me…
    Another big one I forgot to mention, PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN. Amazing that so many reboots are coming in succession, and Bond is one of them. Exciting times.
  • Informe_James_BondInforme_James_Bond Dominican Republic
    When Villeneuve first talked about the secret project, he said that it "needs to see the light of day quite quickly. " And Deadline is now reporting that he will tackle this Nuclear War project only after Dune 3. So doesn't this seem like a 5th upcoming Denis Villeneuve project rather than it being the secret project?

Also, to complicate things, fresh rumours about Villeneuve being in talks to direct Bond, this time from Monreal, Villeneuve's home town: https://www.985fm.ca/audio/616961/et-si-le-prochain-james-bond-etait-realise-par-denis-villeneuve

Someone who speaks French to give us a translated summary, please.

:)
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    I know a lot of people have him on their list of potential Bond candidates, but after Monkey Man, Dev Patel certainly is someone to keep an eye on as a future Bond director.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Given the broad outline that we've now moreorless got of Villeneuve's plans, what's the available 'window' for him to do Bond 26 should he want to do it?
    Villeneuve saying his secret project needs to move along quite quickly is confusing, because we know that EON like to release Bond films around November, so could he be talking about November 2025? That seems too fast, only barely 18 months to completely build up a new Bond? But then November 2026 is a whole 2.5 years away, I don't think he would be talking like time is of the essence, we know how Villeneuve can work. So the only other possibility (assuming he is doing bond 26) is that the film will have a different release date than the usual November date. April 2026 would be about right for Villeneuve to put his other projects aside and commit to Bond fully, and this also lines up nicely so that we could recieve an announcement this James Bond Day in October.
    Personally, I wouldn’t read anything into… well anything at this point until they actually announce something definitive.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    007HallY wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn’t read anything into… well anything at this point until they actually announce something definitive.

The voice of reason @007HallY
    I’m not sure where some of our members come up with their over the top thinking.
    I agree but I do think that makes sense with his schedule. Announcement James Bond day 2024 "EON producers Barbara and Micheal and pleased to announce Denis Villeneuve will write and direct Bond 26, the film will be released in cinemas April 2026."
    Then he can finish Dune: Messiah and his new project.

What is bothering me is if there isn't going to be another Bond film until November 2026, why would all the buzz and chatter around Denis Villeneuve be happening now, in March/April 2024?
  • edited April 6 Posts: 2,930
    I agree but I do think that makes sense with his schedule. Announcement James Bond day 2024 "EON producers Barbara and Micheal and pleased to announce Denis Villeneuve will write and direct Bond 26, the film will be released in cinemas April 2026."

What is bothering me is if there isn't going to be another Bond film until November 2026, why would all the buzz and chatter around Denis Villeneuve be happening now, in March/April 2024?

Well, because we as fans are speculating about these things at a very early stage of Bond 26. That’s a major reason.

Anything could happen. I don’t know whether Villeneuve will be the director one way or the other.
    edited April 6 Posts: 8,098
    007HallY wrote: »

Well, because we as fans are speculating about these things at a very early stage of Bond 26. That’s a major reason.

Again, it’s such early days that anything could happen. I don’t know whether Villeneuve will be the director one way or the other.

Ofcourse, we don't know anything, I'm just running with the logic that Villeneuve IS the man Barbara and Micheal want. If that is the case, I could see them moving from the traditional November slot to April or early summer, to fit into his schedule. A bit like how they hung around for Mendes to do his stage production so he could come back for Bond 24, as it was known.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    I know a lot of people have him on their list of potential Bond candidates, but after Monkey Man, Dev Patel certainly is someone to keep an eye on as a future Bond director.

The hype is over. The movie is not going to make many waves.
    Legendary has already green-lit Dune: Messiah, and Villeneuves next project is already lined up. If he is going to direct Bond 26 the film has to come together VERY quickly. That being said, I heard the last draft of TND was completed August '97 and the film was released in December '97, so EON can pull off a tight turnaround when they need to.
    Well, TND had a notoriously tight schedule/they were writing as they filmed from what I understand. Usually it’s not a situation to aspire to have.
  • edited April 6 Posts: 713
    They only need 2 years. Maybe 1 year and half.