What Directors Should Helm A Bond Film?

Comments

• SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Even people who dislike Nolan have to admit that if Nolan were hired to write and direct, the hype would be insane.

Undoubtedly.
    Even if Nolan never directs Bond, I have a feeling we will see a bond movie scored by Ludwig Goransson. He is the new it composer in Hollywood.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited March 14 Posts: 1,368
    Even if Nolan never directs Bond, I have a feeling we will see a bond movie scored by Ludwig Goransson. He is the new it composer in Hollywood.

I couldn't agree more. I would really love to hear Goransson's take on the Bond sound. It's obvious he's going to do refreshing things with it.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    This is my shot in the dark: EON were pursuing Denis Villeneuve but he decided his schedule is just to busy, so they drafted in Nolan before he moved onto another project.

We'll see...
  • edited March 21 Posts: 486
    GQ Magazine last week: "Christopher Nolan is the best person to remake Bond. Give him the keys, you cowards" https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/why-christopher-nolan-should-direct-bond
    GQ Magazine last week: "Christopher Nolan is the best person to remake Bond. Give him the keys, you cowards" https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/why-christopher-nolan-should-direct-bond

@Colonel_Venus you didn’t write this article, did you? 😂
  • Informe_James_BondInforme_James_Bond Dominican Republic

I agree. Nolan is perfect to direct the next film. First, because we already know he's a big Bond Fan, he's expressed his interest in doing it and because he's available. He said a while ago that he would do it when the character needs reinvention and that's now with the change of actor. It's now or never.

Barbara should get Nolan to make a trilogy.

;)
    I wouldnt be opposed to Nolan but he is far from my first choice
    Why are we (almost) only talking about Nolan and Villeneuve lately? I think there are a lot of other interesting and talented directors out there...🙂
  • I'm still hoping that the rumour that Edward Berger is being considered to direct Bond 26 is true. He's obviously not as famous as Nolan or Villeneuve, but he could bring that author vibe that the series now seems to be looking for.

Another one from last week, this one by The Times: "Forget Aaron Taylor-Johnson — Bond’s big win would be Christopher Nolan"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/next-james-bond-director-christopher-nolan-aaron-taylor-johnson-k9f0cln9l
    This says nothing, nor does it affirm anything. It looks like it was written by a Bond Fan who longs for the Christopher Nolan/Aaron Taylor-Johnson duo to happen.

This says nothing, nor does it affirm anything. It looks like it was written by a fan who longs for the Christopher Nolan/Aaron Taylor-Johnson duo to happen.

It all reads too pretty to be real. Okay, I'd like Nolan to be the director, but tell me something new that validates the rumor that he's already been cast. Give me something else.

;)
  • edited March 25 Posts: 486
    This says nothing, nor does it affirm anything. It looks like it was written by a fan who longs for the Christopher Nolan/Aaron Taylor-Johnson duo to happen.
    It all reads too pretty to be real. Okay, I'd like Nolan to be the director, but tell me something new that validates the rumor that he's already been cast. Give me something else.

;)
    ??? I wasn’t insinuating that that article validates any rumour.
    ??? I wasn’t insinuating that that article validates any rumour.

No, no, no!! I know that it is not. What I wrote was not because of you, but rather for the author of the article

:)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'm going to post this here and go slowly.

Shutterstock-14350855a.jpg

Capturan-Nolan.jpg

SSSSHHHHH

Nolan - Hey Barbara, wanna have some fun?

Babs - Sure Chris, what's on your mind?

Nolan - Let's get photographed together and let Bond fans go crazy over what's going on

Babs - I like it Chris, nothing like some free publicity for EON

Nolan - So about Bond 26...

Babs- Keep dreamin' Chris. Spielberg tried that with my dad.
    When were those taken?
    Univex wrote: »
    When were those taken?

The pics were taken on February 16th in London. Maybe it was in the days when Nolan receive a BFI Fellowship for his outstanding contribution to cinema (also followed by Edgar Wright, who has a position at the BFI and Barbara works for BAFTA).
    In all honesty i would mind a nolan duology but if the dark knight rises is anything to go by the man can not stick the landing so yeah no dont want him finishing his 007 trilogy
    I've always liked the idea of Nolan making a 007 trilogy.

With three films he will be able to introduce his Bond, develop it and conclude it.

Christopher Nolan for BOND 26, BOND 27 and BOND 28.

;)
    Barbara Broccoli talking about the time before Craig signed the contract: “We really wanted him. We only wanted him.”

Me now, talking about the great Chris Nolan: “I really want him. I only want him.”
    I still can't believe hot fuzz, one of my favourite comedy films of all time, was made for just 8 million dollars.

Imagine if EON gave Edgar 120 million and let him make a slick, kinetic 2 hour bond film in the style of his cornetto trilogy films. That would be such a breathe of fresh air coming after Skyfall, Spectre, Bond 25, and probably another mammoth runtime in bond 26 if villeneuve is involved. I don't think what fans are looking for is terribly difficult or costly to deliver, it just takes someone with the right sensibilities.
    Takashi Yamazaki Managed to make a godzilla movie that was emotional and scary for 12 million dollars…

Give him 100 million and watch how he creates the greatest bond film
    Yeah, give these guys that have paid their dues and never had a serious budget to work with a chance. Stop handing the reins over to pretensious dramatists when Bond has always been about thrills, excitement and spectacle first and foremost, get back to the Bond DNA people know and love.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    edited March 30 Posts: 726
    I'm sure a James Bond/Godzilla team-up film is inevitable.
  • edited March 30 Posts: 2,897
    The budgets that Wright had for Shaun of The Dead and Hot Fuzz weren't small by any means, especially for what they were. That's not to say the films aren't great and didn't use creative techniques. He's also dealt with budgets at around £45 million (actually the film I think most impressive for its budget is Baby Driver). Personally, I'm not sure if there's any guarantee Wright would give us a 'kinetic' or lighthearted Bond movie, but he's an option. He's similar to Mendes in a sense, who dealt with budgets of under £100 million throughout his pre-Bond career too, and of course gave us SF which looks much more expensive than it actually is. Same for Forster (hell, his first film were self financed for about £10,000 - very much a Nolan type situation and is certainly low budget). I think it's actually best that potential Bond directors have had more experience with mid-sized budgets.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Yeah, give these guys that have paid their dues and never had a serious budget to work with a chance. Stop handing the reins over to pretensious dramatists when Bond has always been about thrills, excitement and spectacle first and foremost, get back to the Bond DNA people know and love.

Yeah, cuz the last five films were absolute bombs with people complaining en masse that they miss the Bond they know and love and refused to go to the cinema. There was quite a revolt to get back to Bond’s DNA……, 😂 😂 😂….

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    My least favourite Bond film was directed by Michael Apted.
    A director of valid credentials. And was a director whom I had respect for, and still do.
    TWINE to me is a film directed by two men. Apted and Vic Armstrong. It’s the most obvious film to do so for me to date.

007HallY wrote: »
    The budgets that Wright had for Shaun of The Dead and Hot Fuzz weren't small by any means, especially for what they were. That's not to say the films aren't great and didn't use creative techniques. He's also dealt with budgets at around £45 million (actually the film I think most impressive for its budget is Baby Driver). Personally, I'm not sure if there's any guarantee Wright would give us a 'kinetic' or lighthearted Bond movie, but he's an option. He's similar to Mendes in a sense, who dealt with budgets of under £100 million throughout his pre-Bond career too, and of course gave us SF which looks much more expensive than it actually is. Same for Forster (hell, his first film were self financed for about £10,000 - very much a Nolan type situation and is certainly low budget). I think it's actually best that potential Bond directors have had more experience with mid-sized budgets.

He says he wants to make a milk chocolate Bond.

Connery - dark chocolate, Moore- milk chocolate, Dalton - dark chocolate, Brosnan milk chocolate, Craig - dark chocolate.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I'm sure a James Bond/Godzilla team-up film is inevitable.

The like if that has already occurred in the Bond comics where I know he battled dinosaurs in one of those. I suppose you could say it was a trend towards elements of science fiction in Bond started by Fleming himself with the fight with the giant squid in Dr. No.
  • edited March 30 Posts: 2,897
    I can see why Apted was hired. He legitimately had experience with all kinds of genres (thrillers, mystery, comedy, even musicals etc) and was accomplished. What's wild is that they went for him because the producers wanted a director who had experience getting strong performances out of women specifically. Perhaps it just proves the idea that the director doesn't actually control an actor's performance, especially if they're Denise Richards or even Pierce Brosnan haha.

Funnily enough they nearly hired Alfonso Cuaron who had only done three films at that point. Not sure if anyone could have salvaged TWINE, but good eye for potential directors on EON's part.
    007HallY wrote: »

He says he wants to make a milk chocolate Bond.

Connery - dark chocolate, Moore- milk chocolate, Dalton - dark chocolate, Brosnan milk chocolate, Craig - dark chocolate.

Ah, had genuinely never read that from him before now. I'd say if that's his thoughts, then it doesn't give me much hope that he understands Bond on a particularly deep level really. All of these Bonds have different shades to their portrayals to some extent. Especially the likes of Connery, Moore and Craig.

Also, by this theory, does this make Lazenby a milquetoast Bond?