Godzilla

12346»

Comments

Academy Award winning Godzilla - Long Live the King!

Yes, very happy for that team. Excellent work and dynamics.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Univex wrote: »

Let that team do a Bond movie! It would come in WAAAAAAAY under budget, and be lean & mean.
  • edited March 12 Posts: 6,677
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »

Let that team do a Bond movie! It would come in WAAAAAAAY under budget, and be lean & mean.

And set it in Japan, for all means. I’d be happy 😊
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    To recap: GODZILLA:MINUS ONE won 8 awards at the Japanese Academy Film Prize ceremonies earlier this month including Best Picture (note: SHIN GODZILLA also took home that honor back in 2017). Interestingly, actress Sakura Ando (on the very left) won both the supporting actress award for her role in MINUS ONE and best actress for MONSTER (2023).
    GIJ8YAWaUAAftpd.jpg:large

... then 48 hours later GODZILLA:MINUS ONE took home the VFX Oscar. ^:)^
    (L to R): Masaki Takahashi, Takashi Yamazaki, Kiyoko Shibuya and Tatsuji Nojima at the Oscars
    96th-annual-academy-awards-press-room.jpg?s=612x612&w=gi&k=20&c=Yk45vcHAoSBNigLcyEAiG89BaEbNJhHPv0INRdM6vqs=

This after ceremony picture made me grin ear to ear! (of course, it would).
    96th-annual-academy-awards-governors-ball.jpg?s=612x612&w=gi&k=20&c=AubQfpb5F9A4tfcKMD-GotgTRG94o0DSa5MbWIa29y0=

While the main article is behind a paywall, I found this:
    https://www.wsj.com/story/how-godzilla-minus-one-won-the-oscar-for-best-visual-effects-896f33b5

@Univex : As for Bond coming back to Japan, I noted over in the Award Winning Comments thread, that while Bond has certainly traveled around the globe in recent films, we really haven't seen him partake in any "foreign" cultures IIRC.

Dwayne wrote: »
    @Univex : As for Bond coming back to Japan, I noted over in the Award Winning Comments thread, that while Bond has certainly traveled around the globe in recent films, we really haven't seen him partake in any "foreign" cultures IIRC.

That is certainly true. I suppose people are afraid it could be seen as imperialistic, even though is just healthy cultural travelogue on film. I don't know, could be. But it is a crying shame, as it was one of the more exotic side of things in these movies.
    I know, I know! Not another post from that Dwayne guy about GODZILLA:MINUS ONE! :-S

This observation, however, comes from one very special person.
    Christopher Nolan praises Takashi Yamazaki’s ‘GODZILLA MINUS ONE’: “I thought it was a tremendous film. I thought it was so exciting. It’s beautifully made and the mechanics of it were so involving. There was wonderful depth to the characters and a wonderful sense of history that I really appreciated.”

:-S

For the record, OPPENHEIMER is due to be released in Japan on March 29th. As I understand it, however, a small distributor will be handling the screenings.
    It's official : Godzilla Minus One will be out on Blu-Ray on May 1st...

In Japan. No word yet on an American, or European release, but some say that it could happen in september. Fingers crossed :

https://thedirect.com/article/godzilla-minus-one-blu-ray-release-date-us

Screenshot_20240305-150255_Instagram_1.jpg
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Gerard wrote: »
    It's official : Godzilla Minus One will be out on Blu-Ray on May 1st...

In Japan. No word yet on an American, or European release, but some say that it could happen in september. Fingers crossed :

https://thedirect.com/article/godzilla-minus-one-blu-ray-release-date-us

Screenshot_20240305-150255_Instagram_1.jpg

Fingers crossed is right; I am a physical media guy.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Want that box set now!!!

Seeing G x K NE tonight… hoping for some Showa era insanity!
    @Gerard. I must admit that I scoped out that Japanese (Region 2) 4 disk box-set on CDJapan earlier this week ,,, and I'm very tempted. ;) [4K, blu-ray, minus color, bonus features)

Although Toho doesn't include subtitles on their disks sold in Japan, I understand there are work arounds, as there are for the region coding (if you live in the US). And since a stripped down 1-disk DVD version is available I may get it.

@MooseWithFleas : I think that is exactly what you will get; late period Showa era. I humming the "Jet Jaguar" song as I type this.

*FYI, the MST3K version of Godzilla vs. Megalon is very rare (volume 10, 2006). IIRC, Toho took legal action against Rhino who were then forced to pull all of the DVDs out of the stores. Luckily I was able to buy a copy before they were pulled.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Ahhh such a classic episode! I too can’t help but hum the Jet Jaguar theme :) How glorious it would be if we could get JJ in a future Monsterverse installment
    To think I missed that : apparently, a few other Godzilla movies had been made available on DVD in France in the 2000s, and I don't own any of them. They are sold as bipacks, with two movies per set, covering the Showa and Heisei eras.

Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah / Ebirah, Horror of the Deep

3700173207776_vid.jpg

The Return of Godzilla / Godzilla vs. Space Godzilla

3700173207769_vid.jpg

Godzilla vs. Biollante / Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II

3700173207752_vid.jpg

Godzilla vs. Destroyah / Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla

3700173207738_vid.jpg

Godzilla & Mothra : The Battle For Earth / Godzilla vs. Megalon

3700173207745_vid.jpg

Even if copies nowadays are a bit on the expensive side, I'll try to get them.
  • edited April 6 Posts: 9,771

A fan film that is amazing
    @Gerard. Do any of those DVDs come with extras? Normally, the region 2 Japanese dics have loads of extras. Outside of Japan, the Godzilla DVDs .... well not so much. :((
    @Dwayne : Alas, no, according to the back covers. Just french subtitles. But given that most of these movies have not graced french theaters with their presence, it's hardly surprising. Anyway, I ordered them on Rakuten (prices were acceptable), and now, I'm waiting for them.