Godzilla

A discussion of everything the giant lizard

So really getting into the 90’s cartoon

Comments

• TheSkyfallen06TheSkyfallen06 Buenos Aires, Argentina.
    What better way to start this thread than speaking about PEAK Godzilla:
    3075900-2719632766-tumbl.jpg

Charles_Barkley_vs_Godzilla.jpg

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    So excited for Minus One
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited October 2023 Posts: 17,808
    He's just like a lizard. You're so right. 🦎
    Two versions of the same tale :

Yep, I should have guessed it ended that way.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    James Bond VS Godzilla - feat. Rami Fortis (5:52)

• DwayneDwayne New York City
    A nice YouTube summary of upcoming "Godzilla" events (which repeats much of my posting in the other thread).

From "DragonCurve"

And the merchandising tie-ins have already started as TOHO goes all out!
    I would very much like to see Godzilla Minus 1, but will it ever appear in France ? Judging from the fact that neither the Heisei era or the Millenium era movies have, to the best of my knowledge, failed to appear here, and that the only times we saw Shin Godzilla were on various festivals, I doubt it very much.
    @Gerard, keep the faith. While it may not open on December 1st, it may play there eventually. As for the Heisei and Millenium era films, even in the US, only the RETURN OF GODZILLA (released in the US as GODZILLA '85) and GODZILLA 2000, received theatrical releases. For years, I had assumed that TOHO had given up on the market for these films outside of Japan. They seem, however, to be pushing this latest one.

https://www.screendaily.com/news/godzilla-minus-one-lands-uk-ireland-distribution-deal-sets-opening-date/5187205.article
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    New trailer, WOW!

Gareth Edwards’ opinion..

“There were a lot of things that I felt were very new for Godzilla, and I felt jealous the whole time I was watching the movie. This is what a Godzilla movie should be. [Godzilla Minus One] must be mentioned as a candidate for the best Godzilla movie of all time.”
    For those of you in the New York City area:

https://www.scifijapan.com/godzilla-toho/japan-society-hosts-godzilla-minus-one-preview-screening-in-nyc-on-november-28th

And so far, the box office in Japan has been very good.

Speaking of Japan, new entry Godzilla Minus One debuted there on November 3, dovetailing with Godzilla Day, 69 years after the first Godzilla movie was released. The gross per local reports was in excess of 1B yen (our sources have it at 1.04B yen), outpacing 2016’s Shin Godzilla. ComScore puts it at $7.8M. When we have more detailed information, we’ll update accordingly. The origin story, directed by Takashi Yamazaki, recently closed the Tokyo Film Festival and has strong word of mouth.

In IMAX, it took a big $1.2M from just 49 screens, landing the top IMAX opening ever for a live-action Japanese title, the 4th highest IMAX live-action start in Japan, and the 5th highest IMAX local title launch there.

https://deadline.com/2023/11/five-nights-at-freddys-killers-of-the-flower-moon-godzilla-minus-one-global-international-box-office-1235594101/
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    GODZILLA MINUS ONE "Godzilla Under Attack" Trailer (4K ULTRA HD) NEW 2023

Godzilla looks incredible in the new shots released, real sense of scale.
    Two weeks to go @Fire_and_Ice_Returns !!!
    640c1.jpg
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Minus One Godzilla looks far more dangerous than any of Hollywood's character designs.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I forgot to say the other day but that Minus One trailer looked great.
    The way this film presents itself is very affecting.

All right : I just learned that Godzilla Minus One will be released in France. But it will be a very limited release : two days only, december 7th and december 8th, and in 50 theaters only. The french distributors don't really want to see this movie succeed, it seems.
    Minus One is looking awesome. A longer running cinema character than Bond but still delivering by sticking with the classic tropes.
    delfloria wrote: »
    Minus One is looking awesome. A longer running cinema character than Bond but still delivering by sticking with the classic tropes.

Like Bond said himself to Carver... 'You forgot the first rule of mass media, Elliot: give the people what they want.'

Like Bond said himself to Carver... 'You forgot the first rule of mass media, Elliot: give the people what they want.'

Exactly.

Very true.

On one of the auto-commentary tracks to one of Classic Media’s Godzilla DVDs, it was discussed as to why “G” became a franchise. There is, for example, no long running series of films devoted to Rodan or Varan! And only Mothra, approaches Godzilla in popularity among fans.

It was speculated, that despite being a “man in a rubber suit”, the character of Godzilla is actually quite charismatic.

The tone, approach and underlying themes of individual films can (and do) differ wildly, but Godzilla’s character is never in question. While it is hard to define, good guy/bad guy and all points in between, he is a force of nature and unwavering. A kind of "Samurai" in a way. That is why, IMO, the 1998 film failed among fans – despite earning quite a bit of money at the box office at first.
    The first wave of US reviews are coming and they are very favorable.

https://variety.com/2023/film/reviews/godzilla-minus-one-review-gojira-mainasu-wan-1235805243/

Hewing closer to the spirit of Ishiro Honda’s 1954 original than other films in the 37-strong series, Toho’s first live-action entry since “Shin Godzilla” (2016) is markedly different from the creature’s recent outings. Produced at a fraction of the cost of MonsterVerse’s “Godzilla: King of the Monsters” and “Godzilla vs. Kong,” this $15 million enterprise pays stronger emotional dividends than those films. It can’t compete with the hyperreal MonsterVerse visual effects, nor does it want to.
    Back to basics, EoN take note.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Back to basics, EoN take note.

Exactly!
    edited November 2023 Posts: 13,032
    Godzilla - Blue Öyster Cult (4:50)
    k9e4fggjwon21.jpg
    =))
    There's also a french hard rock band called Gojira :

This said, I just bought my ticket for the december 8th, 19.00 showing at the Pathé Beaugrenelle in Paris. Let's hope buses and trains won't let me down this time. Fingers crossed !
    Quentin Tarantino on Ishiro Honda

Guillermo del Toro on Godzilla
    Saw it last night.........All I can say is, WOW!