Godzilla

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    delfloria wrote: »
    Saw it last night.........All I can say is, WOW!

One reviewer said this is the most evil Godzilla we have seen?
  • DwayneDwayne New York City

Given Godzilla’s disposition in 2001’s GMK (Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack), an even more “evil” version would take some doing. For the record, Godzilla: Minus One’s director, Takashi Yamazaki considers GMK to be among his favorite of the prior G films, so it is entirely possible.

ob24p6a26vda1.jpg

If I can get over my chest cold, I plan to see the film on Saturday. So far, the reviews for Godzilla: Minus One have been nothing short of raves.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Dwayne wrote: »

Given Godzilla’s disposition in 2001’s GMK (Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack), an even more “evil” version would take some doing. For the record, Godzilla: Minus One’s director, Takashi Yamazaki considers GMK to be among his favorite of the prior G films, so it is entirely possible.

ob24p6a26vda1.jpg

If I can get over my chest cold, I plan to see the film on Saturday. So far, the reviews for Godzilla: Minus One have been nothing short of raves.

Went with my friend last night to see The Boy and the Heron. Enjoyed it well enough, but it's more his movie than mine. Did convince him to see Godzilla with me Sunday, so I'm now excited.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire Director on Titanus Doug's Return, New 'Kong-Like' Villain
    https://www.ign.com/articles/godzilla-x-kong-the-new-empire-director-titanus-doug-return-kong-like-villain
    edited December 2023 Posts: 23,459
    GODZILLA x KONG: THE NEW EMPIRE Trailer (2024)

After seeing Minus One trailer's this fall's a bit flat.

A Godzilla and Kong team up is a lot of fun.

--

Just watching the Godzilla vs Kong final fight again to remind myself what leads up to the next film, it is good. The sound on Dolby Atmos is crazy on my 350 watt speakers, mini earthquakes..
    edited December 2023 Posts: 2,636
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, there was a joke going around last week on the internet that – given the direction of the series (very mid to late Showa era in tone) in the new film Godzilla and King Kong would team up to fight …
    kingkongescapes_01.jpg
    :))
    Of course, if the lovely Mie Hama (who turned 80 years young two weeks ago) was able to reprise her role as the villainess Madame Piranha, I’d be all in favor! :x
    mieseductive5.jpg
    From 2015 (I think).
    PA243915.JPG

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns, there was a joke going around last week on the internet that – given the direction of the series (very mid to late Showa era in tone) in the new film Godzilla and King Kong would team up to fight …
    kingkongescapes_01.jpg
    :))
    Of course, if the lovely Mie Hama (who turned 80 young two weeks ago) was able to reprise her role as the villainess Madame Piranha, I’d be all in favor! :x
    mieseductive5.jpg
    From 2015 (I think).
    PA243915.JPG

Anything is possible with Hollywood lol Hollywood needs to go back to basic and do a FYEO.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I'm fine with them doing a brash and dumb take on these films as an homage to the majority of the equally brash and dumb Toho films.
    Frankly, I’d like to be. But I’m not. It’s just a CGI fest now, with no good physics dynamics, not unlike any Marvel crap, IMO.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Univex wrote: »
    Frankly, I’d like to be. But I’m not. It’s just a CGI fest now, with no good physics dynamics, not unlike any Marvel crap, IMO.

I agree, this looks like the Thor: Love and Thunder of the Monsterverse. Godzilla’s design has been again been modified, yes something Toho did regularly, to a point of where it looks like a bizarre AI attempt at the character.
    LucknFate wrote: »

ob24p6a26vda1.jpg

Went with my friend last night to see The Boy and the Heron. Enjoyed it well enough, but it's more his movie than mine. Did convince him to see Godzilla with me Sunday, so I'm now excited.

Minus One was really awesome. A great cinematic experience, with the right touching moments, very soapy and melodramatic, a perfect Godzilla film if perhaps just a tad long/sagging near the finale. I frequently got echoes of 50s filmmaking, and the classic Godzilla film is in there.

Favorite moment: "Not going to war is something to be proud of." I liked how the movie sidestepped the U.S. military complex etc., focused on Godzilla as Japan's problem, which only enhanced the narrative threads of the film and strengthened the core messages.
    I’m glad you liked it @LucknFate . I didn’t get a chance to see GODZILLA: MINUS ONE this weekend, as I’m still not over a really bad cold. Hopefully, I’ll get a chance to see it either late this week or next weekend.

As to the look of Godzilla in the "Monsterverse", @talos7 many people are saying that this latest look reminds them of GODZILLA 2000.
    MV5BMDMzOTc0NzgtNjIxOC00NzgyLWFiNzAtN2U2MzI0YzIwZGJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDIyNjkyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

That said (IMO), based on the trailer for GODZILLA x KONG: THE NEW EMPIRE, the movements of the monsters are far too human like.
    I’m glad you liked it @LucknFate . I didn’t get a chance to see GODZILLA: MINUS ONE this weekend, as I’m still not over a really bad cold. Hopefully, I’ll get a chance to see it either late this week or next weekend.

As to the look of Godzilla in the "Monsterverse", @talos7 many people are saying that this latest look reminds them of GODZILLA 2000.
    MV5BMDMzOTc0NzgtNjIxOC00NzgyLWFiNzAtN2U2MzI0YzIwZGJlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDIyNjkyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

That said (IMO), based on the trailer for GODZILLA x KONG: THE NEW EMPIRE, the movements of the monsters are far too human like.

Not one of my favorite designs.
    I really enjoyed GODZILLA MINUS ONE. Best Godzilla film that I’ve seen in many decades.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 2,636
    I'm fine with them doing a brash and dumb take on these films as an homage to the majority of the equally brash and dumb Toho films.

... you mean like the ultra serious GODZILLA: FINAL WARS (2004). =))

Like the Bond series, taken as a whole, there is lot of tonal variability in the films. And that is part of their charm. For every, GODZILLA vs. MEGALON you have a SHIN GODZILLA or a GODZILLA:MINUS ONE. For every film where Godzilla plays Earth's "protector" you have a film where he is the bad guy (or the lesser of two evils).

And given that FINAL WARS in trending on twitter at the moment (it was released in Japan on this date back in 2004), the one-off US screening of the film that I attended in 2005, was, without a doubt the most fun that I've ever had watching a movie. It was really wild.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

... you mean like the ultra serious GODZILLA: FINAL WARS (2014). =))

You can take your pick from the multiple silly but fun Toho films.
    For those of you in the U.S. on New Year’s Day, Turner Classic Movie (TCM) will be broadcasting eight (8) of the first nine Showa era Godzilla films. [There were 15 films in total] Only 1962’s “King Kong vs. Godzilla” is missing from the schedule.
    1. 6:00 am Gojira (1954)
    2. 8:00 am Godzilla Raids Again (1955)
    3. 9:30 am Godzilla vs. The Thing (1964, aka. “Mothra vs. Godzilla”)
    4. 11:15 am Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964)
    5. 1:00 pm Monster Zero (1965, aka “Invasion of Astro-Monster”) *dubbed version.
    6. 2:45 pm Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966, aka “Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster”)
    7. 4:30 pm Son of Godzilla (1967)
    8. 6:15 pm Destroy All Monsters (1969) * dubbed version.
    All times Eastern.

I’m assuming that TCM is using the Criterion versions, so all of the films (except where noted) will be in Japanese with English subtitles.
    medium-pwl-ghidorah-the-three-headed-monster-godzilla-wall-original-imaek7mzbdxqrhcs.jpeg?q=20
    Given the death of Godzilla suit actor Kenpachiro Satsuma, this is good time to post the 2008 documentary "Bringing Godzilla Down to Size." Alex Cox is the narrator.

Tomorrow, Godzilla: Minus One!
    talos7 wrote: »

I hope you like it.

I saw if for a second time today, with tentative plans for a third viewing in two weeks - before it's run concludes.
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 2,161
    talos7 wrote: »

I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did. It inspired me to watch SHIN GODZILLA again (twice!) this weekend.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Godzilla Minus One
    Passes Huge Box Office
    Milestone As Kaiju
    Movie Outgrosses Many
    Hollywood Blockbusters

https://screenrant.com/godzilla-minus-one-box-office-30-million-milestone/

Godzilla Minus One
    Passes Huge Box Office
    Milestone As Kaiju
    Movie Outgrosses Many
    Hollywood Blockbusters

https://screenrant.com/godzilla-minus-one-box-office-30-million-milestone/

Very happy for the movies success in America. But I would not water down the definition of "blockbuster" for "Missing, 65, Plane, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3, Strays, Renfield, and The Last Voyage of the Demeter." Those are the opposite of blockbusters.
    edited December 2023 Posts: 7,989
    I saw Godzilla and absolutely loved it for all of the reasons many have mentioned. I hope this gets a physical media release

With that said, no film is perfect; the midsection is a bit flabby and could have been tightened a bit. Also, while most of the effects shots are outstanding, Godzilla and the destruction he causes have a sense of mass lacking in many comparable films, there are a couple of shots that are painfully bad; they have a dated , video game quality. Possibly they can be tweaked for a Blu ray/ 4K release.

There is a monochrome version of the film.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Absolutely adored Godzilla Minus One. Saw it in IMAX and 4DX both incredible experiences (preferred IMAX). After letting this one sink in, it is the best Godzilla movie ever in my opinion.

Arrangements of the original Godzilla theme and Godzilla vs King Kong themes, a long with the new cues made for an incredible soundtrack that carried so much emotional weight with what was appearing on the screen.

Best human story of the series and am not ashamed to say I teared up during a Kaiju film.

Cannot wait for home release.
    Director/Writer Guillermo del Toro has weighed in on GODZILLA:MINUS ONE:

Alas it is showing nowhere close to where I am and been busy with work, I expect Minus 1 will be on VOD in a short space of time.
    Definitely one of the best Godzilla experiences of my life (and I've been watching since '66, at the age of four, when I caught GHIDORAH, THE THREE-HEADED MONSTER on TV. A couple of years later [bK]ING KONG VS. GODZILLA[/b] was aired, which I also loved, but oddly it took another year or so for me to realize that the two films were connected).
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Godzilla Minus One Passes Major Box Office Milestone In
    Mega-Sized U.S. Release

https://screenrant.com/godzilla-minus-one-box-office-40-million-milestone/
    Godzilla Minus One continues its domestic run, which has quadrupled in size from its original target, by passing a major box office milestone.
    Summary
    • Godzilla Minus One has become a box office hit, quadrupling its intended one-week release.
    • The movie is expected to close out the Christmas holiday weekend with a domestic total of $41.4 million.
    • By passing the $40 million milestone, it joins the ranks of only 54 movies to do so in 2023.

Traveling earlier in the week to my Upstate New York hometown I was surprised the small local theater played Godzilla Minus One Tuesday through Thursday. Didn't have time to catch the Thursday show, but was heartened the same theater where I watched Destroy All Monsters, Godzilla versus Megalon, and others back in the very early 70s got in on what was a limited release.

Back in Virginia today I saw the film and it was as good as reported. Very smart storytelling. Where Shin Godzilla commented on government ineffectiveness (relating to the real world 3/11/2011 event), the ideas to show post-war Japan and a failed kamikaze struck an even more emotional chord (for anyone, but maybe even more so for a person with military service or wartime duty). Not least recognizing the lack of value Japan placed on the human life of its own citizens in the years prior.

Amazingly the Toho Studios production costs are reported as $15 million. They've set the bar very high for future films. And perfected a great way to continue Godzilla's reign.

My (sarcastic) lessons learned to Eon and future Bond films: BOND 26 should have a $15 million budget. All the main characters must be shown as surviving/alive in the final minutes of the film. And characters destroyed to bits can be shown during the end credits as starting to reconstitute themselves.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F2939e16f-9cbd-4068-91db-10cffc89b2b0_498x281.gif
    dc8d2b0ebf3f717fc5750da5d512b2cc5d467f82.gif