Would you rather EON adapt the continuation novels OR continue to develop their own adventures?

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    FRWL
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited March 17 Posts: 2,514
    FRWL, one of my favourites of the series
    I do enjoy LTK though, it's got plot holes but the action is outstanding
  • edited March 17 Posts: 2,901
    Both damn good films, but it’s FRWL for me. It’s the film where Connery truly plays James Bond (in DN he’s great but plays a version of the character that is always two steps ahead, and very sure of himself - by contrast his performance in FRWL shows a Bond who isn’t always sure of every situation he goes into, and yet is charming, confident and professional, so a perfect mix of the literary and cinematic Bond).

FRWL is also just such a great film to rewatch. It’s got this wonderful Hitchcockian quality to the filmmaking and the pace is wonderful. The story is engaging and actually improves on the novel. Always been my favourite Bond film personally. Likely always will (although some wonderful and even more modern contenders have come close). LTK is certainly up there though, another great film in the franchise. But FRWL is simply one of those Bond films every other Bond movie aspires to be.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Bond screwed together gadget guns in both films. LTK is really cool too and Dalton's superb, but I'll have to go with FRWL.
    FRWL
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I do love a bit of LTK action, but it has too be FRWL. Quintessential Bondian goodness. I have been enamored with FRWL since I first saw it back when I was a nipper. Connery is sheer perfection in this.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    FRWL
    royale65 wrote: »
    I do love a bit of LTK action, but it has too be FRWL. Quintessential Bondian goodness. I have been enamored with FRWL since I first saw it back when I was a nipper. Connery is sheer perfection in this.

100% agree. Connery has great material and co-stars to work with and he delivers a superb performance.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    FRWL It is an incredible, almost perfect film. My only quibble is with the boat chase at the end. I don't think it was necessary and feels like padding.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Alright, that interesting to see how the two sophomore films compared. I really appreciate the observation of how Connery, or the screen writers tweaked Bond between DN and FRWL. A perfect balance achieved in FRWL.

Okay we have an odd number of sophomore films so lets compare Brosnan to Craig. Since they are both modern era films.

Would you rather watch TND or QOS?

Both move pretty fast, have plenty of action. Especially TND. Both have Arnold soundtracks. We have questionable main title songs! LOL! Which one is more likely to be placed into the Blu-Ray player?
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    TND
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I really enjoy TND until the halo jump. And that third act was miserable for me.

I like QoS but really love the final act.

QoS for me, please.
  • I prefer TND overall but I really love QOS’s final set piece at the hotel more than the stealth ship finale.
    TND is one of my most rewatched Bond films. It's not the best Bond flick by any means, but it's one of the most fun for me. So TND it is.
    I love QOS. But my answer is TND, my most rewatched Bond film for the single purpose of feeling absolute Bond-joy. The score alone and that opening scene win every single time.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited March 19 Posts: 2,930
    QOS. Can't remember if I've ever mentioned it before (...) but, God, I love that film.
    Two very slick, very well cut action flicks with great scores by the same composer and very secure interpretations from both leads. I love them both.
    Absolutely QOS, no contest at all!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    TND is the fuller, more rounded of the two. QoS has a lot of interesting things in it that I really appreciate.

In essence, it would depend on my mood.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Both excellent in their own way, I see TND as a technically perfect example of a Bond film, despite it sitting in most people's lower third. TND is Brosnan's TB, taking the previous film and scaling everything up. TND and its heavy promotion was the peak of Brosnan's 'Bondmania' - how could it not be a highlight?
    QBranch wrote: »
    Both excellent in their own way, I see TND as a technically perfect example of a Bond film, despite it sitting in most people's lower third. TND is Brosnan's TB, taking the previous film and scaling everything up. TND and its heavy promotion was the peak of Brosnan's 'Bondmania' - how could it not be a highlight?
    Exactly, well said. TND, 1997, what a wonderful year to be a Bond fan that was.
    TND..................... even though I HATE the scene were the BMW crashes into the rental agency. I just can't get past the fact that he could have easily kill innocent bystanders.
    delfloria wrote: »
    TND..................... even though I HATE the scene were the BMW crashes into the rental agency. I just can't get past the fact that he could have easily kill innocent bystanders.

That’s very true. But that grin of his right after and the way he folds his handheld into his suit inner pocket is just class, as was every move our man Pierce did. He was like a cool dancer moving about.
    TND for me. Yeah @Univex Brosnan's locomotive style in TND is impeccable. The way Arnold's score matched Brosnan's movement was really good. TND is simply a Bond film that isn't shy of being a Bond film and shows a bit of its Bondian sci-fi side.
    The best Brosnan against the worst Craig?

The best Brosnan. Sorry, Craig you can't win them all.

QoS is top-tier Craig Bond film. But pitted against TND, I'll always pick TND.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    TND by a few miles. And not just for reasons of my local patriotism for Hamburg.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    TND is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. I truly love the film until the third act when it becomes a shoot'em up. If only they had done something with less machine guns and a bit more finesse.

On to the third films of the 4 actors. I used a randomizer to select our pairings.

Up first Sir Roger against Mr. Craig.

On one hand, a film filled with some gadgets, a great song to kick things off. A wonderful PTS. A rather bland villain but a very memorable henchman.

The other hand, a film that dives head first into Bond's past. A great song to kick off the movie, a PTS that has a shocking finish. A colourful villain who almost steals the movie.

Would you rather watch TSWLM OR SF?

Which one is more likely to be placed into the Blu-Ray player?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    TSWLM every time. The only time SF would win a battle like this for me is SF vs. SP.
    For me, two excellent and somewhat different Bond films. If SF’s my second favourite Bond movie, then TSWLM’s my third favourite. It’s actually taken me a while to appreciate the latter as much as I do nowadays, but it’s become a favourite of mine.

I’ll go for SF in this case, but these are two movies I genuinely like a lot.