Would you rather spend time in Venice with Tatiana (FRWL) OR Vesper (CR 06)

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    edited March 7 Posts: 4,982
    Time for another difficult decision, or not so difficult decision!

In the course of the series we have had 6 actors play Bond and each has been introduced to the audience in two main ways.

Dramatic introduction Connery, Lazenby and Dalton were introduced after we only saw their hands or bodies. Stylish and in two cases wearing a tux this introduction teases out the full introduction of the new guy.

Matter of fact introduction Moore, Brosnan and Craig were introduced in a matter of fact way. No big scene and no drama. One case the actor was first seen by face in a toilet stall. One of the introductions coming after the PTS.

So for number 7, which type of introduction do we prefer?

Would you rather a dramatic introduction of the new guy OR a matter of fact introduction?
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I'm torn between a stylish Connery-like intro or a in the field hard edged Dalton intro
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited March 7 Posts: 2,519
    I think it depends on who they cast, if they cast someone who the audience believe will be a good Bond, it'll probably be matter of fact introduction. If they cast an unknown, I think they'll want to show what he can do from the very start and almost win the audience over in the PTS.

I personally would love a TLD style opening again
    I think a new Bond's introduction should in some way give us an idea of their take on the character and broadly what to expect from them. This is the way it's been in the past, ie.

Craig - very much a 'hit the ground running' introduction - more brutish, hard edged, and physical.

Brosnan - he gets the big stunt, but his reveal amounts to a quip in a toilet stall. It's humorous and in some ways subverts expectations, but at the same time is very much a classically Bondian moment.

Moore - straight to the point, slightly more comedic in nature, but still very much tailored to a cinematic Bond.

Connery - Dynamic and stylish.

Dalton - his PTS subverts expectation by killing off other characters who look not unlike they could be Bond, but he gets very much a classic (and even unironic) cinematic reveal with the camera pushing in on him, and him taking part in a more hard edged fight/stunt.

Lazenby - you expect Connery, and for all intents and purposes his introduction is tailored to remind you of Connery's in DN. Then Lazenby opens his mouth and you're left feeling something is very off... he gets a well shot fight scene that he excels in though.

As for Bond 7, I'd kinda like to see something along the lines of Brosnan's reveal. There is a bit of a build up to it with the bungee jump, but when we do get it, we're immediately made to think 'ok, this is Bond'. So a matter of fact introduction for me, but one that's able to build up our expectations of Bond beforehand.
    Why not be gutsy and introduce the new Bond like SC in DN. No stunts, no action, just the look and confidence this is Bond.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    I really think whatever type of introduction we get, they won't show us Bond's face immediately. They might go the Connery, Lazenby, Dalton & Brosnan style.
    Looks like we prefer to have our next fellow introduced with a dramatic flair.

Okay lets do a battle of the second films!

We shall start with some that get ranked lower in the rankings of Bond fans list. Please remember you must choose one, unless you wish to be called Switzerland. LOL!

Would you rather watch TMWTGG OR QOS?

Moore's film has an outstanding villain, but some say it feels cheap.

Craig's entry doesn't waste time, but the edits drive some viewers mad.

Which one is likely to be thrown into your Blu-Ray player?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    QoS. No contest.
  • I find QOS to be the better film (I'm shocked saying that) but I'd probably rather watch TMWTGG.
  • R1s1ngs0nR1s1ngs0n France
    TMWTGG every single time.
    edited March 15 Posts: 2,020
    Double post.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The one in my Top 3 vs. the one in my Bottom 3.

QoS, absolutely.
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    QOS all day.
    QoS for me too!
    TMWTGG.

QoS has a good thing. It's short.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    QoS
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Quantum no hesitation
    I feel the thing about TMWTGG is that it's so flawed and even strange, and yet close to being much better than it is, that watching it is a weirdly fun experience. You can think about all of the missed opportunities, what could have been done differently etc. It even has its share of great scenes (and of course some very strange and somewhat funny ones).

QOS is a frustrating watch by comparison. It's far from my favourite Bond story, but it's essentially a solid film with large chunks of it that are near unwatchable.

I mean, it really depends on my mood as usual, but I think TMWTGG edges it out.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    QoS
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    The only reason for choosing QOS would be to discover yet another detail that went by me the first eight or so times due to the hectic editing. But for sheer entertainment, give me TMWTGG. In spite of the slide whistle and the kung-fu girls. So for the purpose of this round, TMWTGG it is.
    Interesting to see where people lean!

Lets do another battle of the sophomore performances:

Would you rather watch FRWL OR LTK?
  • Vinther1991Vinther1991 Denmark
    The two best sophomore entries. FRWL wins for me though, love the Hitchcokian plot, brilliant direction by Young. A true classic, and probably the best Connery Bond film. I like the grit of Licence to Kill and the Yojimbo-style plot. The best of the Dalton films imo, and the best of John Glen's films too.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Two great films though FRWL wins, FRWL is often my number 1 Bond film.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I think LTK really picks up when Bond infiltrates Sanchez’s organization, and the film is peppered with great stunts, but FRWL will always be my pick, and by quite a margin (Connery was warmer and more appealing in his second film (I do love him in DN, but there were times he walked the tightrope of being a slightly unlikeable a-hole… He never slipped off the rope into total a-holery, but in a few scenes, he got awfully close), Spectre, Spectre Island, the wonderful Bunt and Grant and the beautiful Tatiana, plus……. John.Barry.). Yes, FRWL, please!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Let's not beat around the hedge here... it's all about FRWL innit. It's perfection, like how you imagine your wedding day. And then you can follow that up with LTK like a nice honeymooooon!
    QBranch wrote: »
    Let's not beat around the hedge here... it's all about FRWL innit. It's perfection, like how you imagine your wedding day. And then you can follow that up with LTK like a nice honeymooooon!

Best post of the day, surely. Well done, sir.
    FRWL is my favourite Connery Bond, but I gotta go with my man Dalton, LTK it is then!
  • FRWL.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    FRWL.
    FRWL