"You killed my dog "...John Wick discussion

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited August 2023 Posts: 40,480
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    They are. Looks like a lot of fun, just seems way more detached and somewhat lighthearted in a sense. It's an interesting prospect nevertheless and I'll definitely give it a viewing at some point.

We don't et PEACOCK in the UK so not sure who will pick up the mini series here, I know little of the build up to the series surely it is not an origin story.

It just sounds like a blast to the past that'll showcase the rise of Winston and Charon, with the Continental and the world of assassins already well established still. I won't be surprised if we get a young John Wick appearing as a small cameo or something but hopefully that's the beginning and end of it. The last thing I want or need is an origin story for him.

Sorry I remember now it being mentioned that the series had something to do with Winston.

I have not heard much about Ballerina I presume that is still happening, at this stage I just want to see a John Wick 5 and see if they can top 4 which will be difficult.

You're correct, Ballerina concluded filming some time ago and is apparently still set for a June 2024 release.

Sadly, for me, Chapter 4 was my least favorite yet. It had some good action but I sort of feel like the series has really gotten away from the grounded grittiness of the first one and is just trying to make multi-colored setpieces and action sequences in wild, never-before-seen ways instead of keeping it simple yet impressive. It was also overlong, with lengthy lulls that could've been trimmed down. I also wasn't crazy about taking the focus away from John (and virtually wiping out the prospect of where things would go next after Chapter 3's cliffhanger ending) and focusing on so many brand new characters. That's just me though. I'm glad it found success at the box office and is leading the way to another installment.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    THE CONTINENTAL Trailer (NEW 2023)

It doesn't feel atmospherically in the John Wick universe, I don't think Mel Gibson is terribly befitting this universe, and I question the American accents from characters who are anything but. However, the action looks pretty top notch and outrageous so I'll definitely give these a go.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    It doesn't feel atmospherically in the John Wick universe, I don't think Mel Gibson is terribly befitting this universe, and I question the American accents from characters who are anything but. However, the action looks pretty top notch and outrageous so I'll definitely give these a go.

Sometimes trailers can be deceptive though i suspect when we actually watch the show there may not be much of a tonal shift, I will give it a go Amazon have streamed one or two decent action series so it may be good.
    John Wick 5's Keanu Reeves Update Solves The Biggest Problem With Making Another Movie
    https://screenrant.com/john-wick-5-keanu-reeves-update-biggest-problem-solve/
    I think they should leave it at four.It was a fitting end for the character and they will have hard time convincing us how he came back from the dead.

What’s Wick got left to fight for?
    That's my one hang up with a fifth film: I don't understand how you can drag him out of retirement (or in this case, "death") plausibly.

And if the post-credits scene of Chapter 4 is what they're working with, then it should be a spin-off and not a fifth installment that doesn't even feature John past some flashbacks.

I'm merely championing a fifth installment because I want it to be the best ending possible. I'm still bummed at finding Chapter 4 to be the weakest of them all.
    That's my one hang up with a fifth film: I don't understand how you can drag him out of retirement (or in this case, "death") plausibly.

And if the post-credits scene of Chapter 4 is what they're working with, then it should be a spin-off and not a fifth installment that doesn't even feature John past some flashbacks.

I'm merely championing a fifth installment because I want it to be the best ending possible. I'm still bummed at finding Chapter 4 to be the weakest of them all.

I thought Chapter 4 was the best one.By far.I know it was long but I got The Good,The Bad,And The Ugly vibe they were going with.Also thought Wicks demise was brilliantly done and on rewatching recently,its foreshadowed throughout the film.

I found it to be a bit too long considering the surprisingly lengthy gaps between action beats. The finale was excellent though and only got stronger as it went along (the relentless stairwell sequence is pure gold).

I did enjoy the way it aped classics before it but so much focus is removed from John's story that I started to lose interest when he wasn't on screen, no matter how interesting the other characters were.

Plus, I feel like the series has gotten away from the breathtaking yet simplified action and is now trying to compete with itself for "most prettiest action sequence ever," in some ways. It's trying too hard when I really just want to see John taking out 100 goons with firearms and fists. I know we still technically got that here but it's a bit more "complex" than I'd like, I suppose.

Good movie, well shot action, lovely choreography, but tries too hard in some ways and wasn't exactly what I wanted, all while having the same blocking and framing issues as its predecessors (like having the bad guys clearly wait right off screen for their cue to run in and die without getting a shot off themselves).
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    The first one is still the best by far, I feel. I enjoyed the first sequel - but I found the third and fourth films quite monotonous. The world of John Wick was so much more interesting when we didn't know as much about it.
    edited September 2023 Posts: 40,480
    The first one is still the best by far, I feel. I enjoyed the first sequel - but I found the third and fourth films quite monotonous. The world of John Wick was so much more interesting when we didn't know as much about it.

Chapter 2 is my favorite but the first is right behind it. The series has gone downhill (though still wildly entertaining in its own ways) from there.

And yes, the more mystery in his backstory, the better. We've gotten a bit too much for my liking, and now we're getting that prequel series The Continental and I won't be surprised to hear them announce a truly unnecessary prequel to John's story at some point.

Another thing I feel the series has been sorely lacking is that pre-established fear over John Wick. The guy was a legend in the first one, spoken about like a mythological figure. He comes back into that world, slaughters almost 100 people because of his dog and his stolen car...and suddenly everyone's cocky again and thinks they can stop him with ease instead of fearing him even more? Nah.
  • First one stands as an innovative tightly woven action film. Sequels have got worse as they've gone along because the plot is paper thin. It just serves to set up the next action sequence. They should bring the scale back down, something like him being stuck in a single environment would serve the film much better, a Raid type scenario.
    I liked the first film but thought the main villain was no threat whatsoever to Wick ( Particularly during the final fight ).I like all the movies though.Just great action entertainment and I think it finally made a lot filmakers up their game and stop abusing that whole shakycam nonsense that had been going on for nearly two decades after the second Bourne film.
    1 > 4 > 2 > 3, with 4 and 2 being interchangeable for me. 1 is locked at #1 and 3 at #4.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Another thing I feel the series has been sorely lacking is that pre-established fear over John Wick. The guy was a legend in the first one, spoken about like a mythological figure. He comes back into that world, slaughters almost 100 people because of his dog and his stolen car...and suddenly everyone's cocky again and thinks they can stop him with ease instead of fearing him even more? Nah.

Yes, I get weird Roger Moore vibes from the third and fourth film with how Wick is regarded. He went from a mythical super-assassin to everyone's former buddy, and everywhere he goes he's recognised. It went from clever to self-parody far too quickly.
    The Continental has dropped on Prime Video the first episode is 1 hr 27 minutes, I will likely watch it tomorrow.
    Thanks for the reminder, will try to watch it sometime this weekend when time allows me.
    The Continental Episode 1, just finished watching it and I really enjoyed it , there is alot to like about this show and it does stand on its own well.

I cared about the characters so I was not solely looking for the action set pieces which were good.

I hope this show continues after the mini series.

The Continental Episode 1, just finished watching it and I really enjoyed it , there is alot to like about this show and it does stand on its own well.

I cared about the characters so I was not solely looking for the action set pieces which were good.

I haven't finished it yet but I did catch that stairwell fight scene on YouTube and thought it was really incredible, better than what the trailers were even hinting at. No exaggeration, I think I enjoyed that sequence out of context more than most of the action in Chapter 4.
    edited September 2023 Posts: 23,378

I haven't finished it yet but I did catch that stairwell fight scene on YouTube and thought it was really incredible, better than what the trailers were even hinting at. No exaggeration, I think I enjoyed that sequence out of context more than most of the action in Chapter 4.

It was a great scene and hooked me immediately, some thought has gone into this show and has quite a bit of depth to it which I am happy about.

Edited: Only episode 1 has dropped in the UK on Prime, looking on YouTube at reviews it appears all 3 dropped on Peacock in the states?

It was a great scene and hooked me immediately, some thought has gone into this show and has quite a bit of depth to it which I am happy about.

I could tell from that clip alone that that guy was ultra smooth and they're already building a world of intriguing characters based on the flow of the action and choreographic skills alone. If work finally stops for me at some point today, I need to finish this movie I started then hopefully I can squeeze in the first episode before I crash tonight.
    Finally saw the first episode and enjoyed it a whole lot more than I was expecting. The opening Continental sequence with Frankie and the finale (particularly that fight with Yen) were outstanding and had me way more gratified as a fan than much of what I saw in Chapter 4.

Halfway through the second episode now, it's a lot slower paced but I suspect it's just building for an otherwise action-packed conclusion in the third and final episode.

Some of it feels a bit supernatural or way more "otherworldly" than the otherwise grounded atmosphere we find in the John Wick series, but all in all, I'm having a blast.
    Finally saw the first episode and enjoyed it a whole lot more than I was expecting. The opening Continental sequence with Frankie and the finale (particularly that fight with Yen) were outstanding and had me way more gratified as a fan than much of what I saw in Chapter 4.

Halfway through the second episode now, it's a lot slower paced but I suspect it's just building for an otherwise action-packed conclusion in the third and final episode.

Some of it feels a bit supernatural or way more "otherworldly" than the otherwise grounded atmosphere we find in the John Wick series, but all in all, I'm having a blast.

The strength of the characters make it very watchable, I have yet to start episode 2 I will likely watch it tomorrow morning.
    I was surprised that Franke died though it made sense with regards to Winston's journey. I can't remember if Winston ever mentioned his brother in the movies.

The strength of the characters make it very watchable, I have yet to start episode 2 I will likely watch it tomorrow morning.
    I was surprised that Franke died though it made sense with regards to Winston's journey. I can't remember if Winston ever mentioned his brother in the movies.
    As soon as I saw the dynamic unfolding, I had a feeling he was going to die in that very same episode. I had hoped he'd stick around longer, he's easily been my favorite character so far.

Winston's never mentioned him in the films but could simply be because of how many decades have passed and there's not been a good reason for McShane's character to do so. I do think it'd be interesting to see this miniseries inevitably tie into Chapter 5 with Winston actually mentioning him though.

As soon as I saw the dynamic unfolding, I had a feeling he was going to die in that very same episode. I had hoped he'd stick around longer, he's easily been my favorite character so far.

Winston's never mentioned him in the films but could simply be because of how many decades have passed and there's not been a good reason for McShane's character to do so. I do think it'd be interesting to see this miniseries inevitably tie into Chapter 5 with Winston actually mentioning him though.

If the time frame was not totally off I would have thought it would have worked well if Franke was John Wick's father.

If the time frame was not totally off I would have thought it would have worked well if Franke was John Wick's father.

Absolutely. He was giving me long-haired John Wick vibes throughout.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 22 Posts: 15,690
    Ballerina delayed an entire year, from June 7 2024 to June 6 2025.

https://deadline.com/2024/02/ballerina-john-wick-spinoff-the-crow-release-date-1235833533/
    Ballerina delayed an entire year, from June 7 2024 to June 6 2025.

https://deadline.com/2024/02/ballerina-john-wick-spinoff-the-crow-release-date-1235833533/

F*ck.
    The article reads Stahelski has been brought in to help shoot more action scenes, so I'm assuming this was originally more drama-heavy and they felt it needed punched up (no pun intended) with even more death. I hope it delivers but time will tell.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The article reads Stahelski has been brought in to help shoot more action scenes, so I'm assuming this was originally more drama-heavy and they felt it needed punched up (no pun intended) with even more death. I hope it delivers but time will tell.

Len Wiseman being the director is a bit of a concern for me. His filmography has been quite uneven for me. However, he did give us the best long-awaited sequel to a 1980s franchise with Live Free or Die Hard - a film that had no business being so much fun.