Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 13 Posts: 2,943
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I don't think there's anyone that jumps out as "their choice" this time round, I do think that it probably is a short list.
    Agreed, mate. I wouldn't have even thought of ATJ for it, let alone have had him in for a chat (if, indeed, they actually did!), so it suggests that they're not restricting themselves to more straightforward options and there could well be a few surprises. Interesting times!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Even with their focus on Craig, there was a list during the casting and at least 5 actors actually screentested. There may be an actor who has been targeted but he won’t be anointed; several will be considered. and tested
  • edited February 13 Posts: 305
    I think you can argue there are no A listers anymore. I can't think of any A lister under 50 years of age. Few actors in the internet era (let's say from the year 2000 and on) can open a film on name/screen presence alone.

If the A list term does carry any weight it's actors' agents securing big salaries for their clients but that doesn't mean the actor will bring in the box office.

Nothing against the chap but I reckon for the last five years or so Idris Elba would have been considered A list by many film fans, his name was always mentioned as a potential Bond, but I don't think he's ever had a box office hit as the leading actor so is he really A list or just a guy that has a good agent?

Is Henry Cavill truly A list? Maybe yes after Man of Steel but arguably no after Man From Uncle (2015) and Argylle (2024) bombed. A list is a fickle term.

I don't think Henry Cavill or Idris Elba (let's say if he were ten years younger) or a Joe Shmoe unknown actor currently working in low budget UK films will make any difference to the potential box office of Bond 26. The only difference is Joe Shmoe has no bargaining power. Cavill and Elba will have a minimum pay demand threshold (based on their acting resume) to play Bond whereas Joe Shmoe won't have any minimum pay demand threshold. If Amazon want to pay more to get a so called A lister (which means nothing in the internet era), go ahead. I doubt it will make any difference to the box office.
  • edited February 13 Posts: 770
    It's all about the right actor and the right project. Margot Robbie was a box Office poison until Barbie and you can't make that movie without her.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Daniel Craig was not an A list commodity when cast; Bond made him one.
  • edited February 13 Posts: 3,026
    I mean, I suppose it depends on your definition of A-list, but plenty of actors under 50 can sell even a smaller film with their name (at least as much as any A-Lister ever could - even the greats like Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant and certainly Marlon Brando had their share of bombs). The likes of Leonardo Di Caprio, Ryan Gosling, Ryan Reynolds, Margot Robbie, Timothee Chalamet, Tom Holland and Robert Pattinson are all under 50 and have the recognisability to do this, even if they’ve had their misses.

But as you said it really depends. I’d say Michael Fassbender is an A-Lister but could never sell some of his smaller films on the power of his name (didn’t help that many of them were simply bad). Elba and Cavill have a similar inconsistency. There’s a question to be asked - can a bad film (or at least one which doesn’t have mass appeal for whatever reason) be saved by a big name? I’d also add to this - to what extent are these actors made A-listers by their most successful projects, and would they be A-listers without them?
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited February 13 Posts: 1,450
    I'd argue A-list celebrity is not and has not ever been determined by box office draw, but rather other social factors. The box office is just too inconsistent and with too many factors to always blame the people on the poster. Nowadays I'm convinced a film's success is mostly determined in the few months right before release. With that in mind, I agree that there are plenty of "A-list" celebrities today, based on social recognition.
  • 007HallY wrote: »
    Wasn’t Mackenzie considered at one point for NTTD? Interesting director anyway, although yes this does mean he might be busy. That said I think until EON sit down with some of these directors/get a sense of their approach to a Bond films it’s difficult to know who’d be best.

Along with Yann Demange. One directed Starred Up, one directed 71, both of which had a critically acclaimed lead performance from Jack O’Connell. Gives me hope that he could be on EON’s radar.
    Just gonna leave this here:

the-gentlemen-key-art-79c5ff1.jpg?quality=90&resize=980,654

the-gentlemen-tv-show-poster.jpg
    007HallY wrote: »
    Wasn’t Mackenzie considered at one point for NTTD? Interesting director anyway, although yes this does mean he might be busy. That said I think until EON sit down with some of these directors/get a sense of their approach to a Bond films it’s difficult to know who’d be best.

Along with Yann Demange. One directed Starred Up, one directed 71, both of which had a critically acclaimed lead performance from Jack O’Connell. Gives me hope that he could be on EON’s radar.

Demange could be good too, and is another I like. I really enjoyed 71 and Starred Up (odd thing to say but he does a great job of filming O’Connell’s walk which I find quite Bondian for some reason, especially in Starred Up).

Demange could be good too, and is another I like. I really enjoyed 71 and Starred Up (odd thing to say but he does a great job of filming O’Connell’s walk which I find quite Bondian for some reason, especially in Starred Up).

He does have a nice strong confident strut. And charisma, lots of.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's funny, feels just like yesterday that Demange was one of those big names rumored so I rushed to check out 71 shortly after (and quite enjoyed it).
  • edited February 15 Posts: 3,026
    Univex wrote: »

I think so too. I liked that there were times in Starred Up when he looked around a room or space before walking in, like he’s weighing up everything beforehand. It’s a good little indication about what he’d bring to Bond if he was chosen. I got that in 71 as well.

Always encouraging when 2 different directors can make the same actor’s walk look good in their films.

I think so too. I liked that there were times in Starred Up when he looked around a room or space before walking in, like he’s weighing up everything beforehand. It’s a good little indication about what he’d bring to Bond if he was chosen. I got that in 71 as well.

Always encouraging when 2 different directors can make the same actor’s walk look good in their films.

True. And I wouldn’t oppose to O’Connel being Bond, despite his height. He sometimes seems a giant next to very tall fellas.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Just gonna leave this here:

the-gentlemen-key-art-79c5ff1.jpg?quality=90&resize=980,654

the-gentlemen-tv-show-poster.jpg

He's not my preferred choice, but I'd be pleased if James were cast. I could see him in the role
  • edited February 15 Posts: 6,677
    Deep voice, good eyebrow game, charisma, very well known, studied philosophy and his acting school is the Old Vic.

I’d say he’s the best choice they have now. Too bad “now” won’t be a thing.

True. And I wouldn’t oppose to O’Connel being Bond, despite his height. He sometimes seems a giant next to very tall fellas.

I think his height is negligible personally. I always say some actors just tower naturally on screen. I’d have honestly said Marlon Brando was six foot in his early roles and yet he was only 5’8.

I think his height is negligible personally. I always say some actors just tower naturally on screen. I’d have honestly said Marlon Brando was six foot in his early roles and yet he was only 5’8.

Exactly! Besides, people who were 5’6’’ in real life, such as Churchill or T.E Lawrence, were portraid by people who were 6’2’’. So, height, either way, shouldn’t be that much of a problem in cinema. Richard Burton looked gigantic. Stallone is very short as well. Always looked enormous to me.

Exactly! Besides, people who were 5’6’’ in real life, such as Churchill or T.E Lawrence, were portraid by people who were 6’2’’. So, height, either way, shouldn’t be that much of a problem in cinema. Richard Burton looked gigantic. Stallone is very short as well. Always looked enormous to me.

Robert De Niro too. Thought the guy was over 6 foot in Cape Fear. Terrifying performance. Great film though.

I think if you get that sweet spot between a director and cinematographer team who know how to frame, and an actor with that confidence/c factor, then they can be 5’9 and be Bond (at least I think that’s what O’Connell is). Even Craig was, what, 5’11 (if that).
  • peterpeter Toronto

Robert De Niro too. Thought the guy was over 6 foot in Cape Fear. Terrifying performance. Great film though.

I think if you get that sweet spot between a director and cinematographer team who know how to frame, and an actor with that confidence/c factor, then they can be 5’9 and be Bond (at least I think that’s what O’Connell is). Even Craig was, what, 5’11 (if that).

What’s weird about Craig: I was right close to him during TIFF and the showing of Knives Out. He looked about my height, a little taller (I’m a short ass, just over 5’9).

But then my wife and I were front row seats for his MacBeth (where his spit literally hit my wife’s calf), and he seriously looked taller.

So I agree with you @007HallY , a combination of performance (Craig’s MacBeth was a warrior, and enjoyed his reputation, so it’s like the actor himself swelled with arrogant vanity), and angles. For sure Craig looked six foot on stage (and in reality, I don’t think he’s close to that, at least an inch and a half to two inches away from that).
    peter wrote: »

What’s weird about Craig: I was right close to him during TIFF and the showing of Knives Out. He looked about my height, a little taller (I’m a short ass, just over 5’9).

But then my wife and I were front row seats for his MacBeth (where his spit literally hit my wife’s calf), and he seriously looked taller.

So I agree with you @007HallY , a combination of performance (Craig’s MacBeth was a warrior, and enjoyed his reputation, so it’s like the actor himself swelled with arrogant vanity), and angles. For sure Craig looked six foot on stage (and in reality, I don’t think he’s close to that, at least an inch and a half to two inches away from that).

Indeed, and that’s even onstage. I really don’t think a ‘short’ Bond is a problem in this sense (unless we’re talking about a condition or overt shortness that picks up onscreen/that is rare in most cases).
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    I think Barbara would really want O'Connell for him to be cast. She really wanted Craig and paid deaf ears to the world's complaints about Craig. So if she really wants O'Connell, she wouldn't see anything wrong with his height.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    I think Barbara would really want O'Connell for him to be cast. She really wanted Craig and paid deaf ears to the world's complaints about Craig. So if she really wants O'Connell, she wouldn't see anything wrong with his height.

Didn't know Barbara was the casting director for the new Smeagol in the upcoming lotr series.

fc8762e0159c455fcbb3a0bba036ef99.jpg
  • UK prime minister Rishi Sunak threw his hat in the ring on Wednesday:

“Barbara, I hear you might be casting for a special vacancy. Wise politicians always keep their options open. So I just wanted to say, if you’re looking for someone with conflict experience, a strong track record of handling evil villains, or indeed someone who is comfortable with the risk of being replaced in a few years, then I’m your man.”

https://deadline.com/2024/02/christopher-nolan-rishi-sunak-bfi-denis-villeneuve-1235826377/
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria

Didn't know Barbara was the casting director for the new Smeagol in the upcoming lotr series.

Haha! There are cool pics of O'Connell in a suit with a nice haircut. Also, we all have our bad pics.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon

Haha! There are cool pics of O'Connell in a suit with a nice haircut. Also, we all have our bad pics.

The bloke just isn't Bond, that is all.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Would you take Theo James @buddyoldchap ?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 16 Posts: 5,869
    I personally find the idea of Theo James a bit underwhelming. I enjoy him as an actor, especially in The White Lotus, but I'm so used to his face and his acting style because he's been in so much I've seen that I'm kinda unexcited by his presence in anything? I also think he's another Aidan or Henry or Hiddleston in the sense that the casting in my opinion is kinda unimaginative?
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I personally find the idea of Theo James a bit underwhelming. I enjoy him as an actor, especially in The White Lotus, but I'm so used to his face and his acting style because he's been in so much I've seen that I'm kinda unexcited by his presence in anything? I also think he's another Aidan or Henry or Hiddleston in the sense that the casting in my opinion is kinda unimaginative?

I completely understand this point of view mate, but don't you think after an era that was defined by subversion, that someone who seems tailor-made for the part might be the right choice?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 16 Posts: 5,869
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I completely understand this point of view mate, but don't you think after an era that was defined by subversion, that someone who seems tailor-made for the part might be the right choice?
    And I certainly understand yours. I also want to clarify that Theo James would probably be great if given half a chance, but I think it's possible to do both of what you've mentioned @Jordo007? For example, the reason I've liked the idea of Callum so much and for so long is because he's a fresh modern face that also fits with the more traditional image of the character? Best of both worlds? I think I also just want EON to get someone that tabloids haven't had on their lists for the past 10 years...