Godzilla

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited February 14 Posts: 23,369
    GODZILLA X KONG THE NEW EMPIRE "Kong Vs Skar King Fight" : 5 Minute Trailers (4K ULTRA HD) NEW 2024

Woah, looks a lot of fun.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited February 15 Posts: 2,626
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Personally I'd prefer this as a one-off. Like with Shin Godzilla, I'd love to see Toho continue with unique stand-alone projects.

I’m inclined to agree @Birdleson.

One of the things that made GODZILLA: MINUS ONE so affecting for me, was discovering and then spending time with the film’s well-written and remarkable set of characters. While part of me really wants to know what comes next for Kōichi Shikishima and Noriko Ōishi, that sense of discovery would really be hard to recapture in any sequel. Plus, unless that black mark on Noriko's neck is from radiation poisoning (and not from G cells), a sequel may not be as grounded .... IMO.

The same goes for 2016’s SHIN GODZILLA. Initially, I really wanted a sequel, but I’ve come to conclude that the film’s enigmatic ending is actually part of the appeal. How do you follow-up that final scene of Godzilla’s tail? Apparently, Toho came to the same conclusion after a few years and decided to go in another direction.

In short, while director/writer/VF lead Takashi Yamazaki may have ideas on a follow-up, I get the idea that Toho wants to let the dust settle before deciding how to proceed.

PS. Are the twitter postings showing up for everyone? Normally I would not re-post them here, but some content is not available otherwise.

GODZILLA X KONG THE NEW EMPIRE "Kong Vs Skar King Fight" : 5 Minute Trailers (4K ULTRA HD) NEW 2024

Looks like a top contender in a fight against one of the latter transformer flicks for the worst movie ever made award.

It’s funny that we’re probably gonna get one of the best Godzilla films ever and one of the worst within months of one another.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Univex wrote: »

Looks like a top contender in a fight against one of the latter transformer flicks for the worst movie ever made award.

It’s funny that we’re probably gonna get one of the best Godzilla films ever and one of the worst within months of one another.

Transformers films are a guilty pleasure for me, no doubt the new Kong X Godzilla film will be switch your brain off, I found the last film in the series entertaining.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited February 15 Posts: 2,161
    The US films could be great if they just didn't take their human stories so damn seriously. Look at the original Toho KKvG: Great story, goofy characters, a lot of fun. On the opposite end you have the original GOJIRA and MINUS 1, but I don't see the Legendary folk capable of pulling off such effective gravitas.
    edited February 14 Posts: 23,369
    I watched Warlords of Atlantis last night, I was a big fan of Doug McClure films in my youth as they were often fun and had good ensemble casts and just went with the outlandish nature of the films. I much prefer the humans to be just as entertaining as the monsters.
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    I agree, and that means fun. I also loved those old Doug McClure films. Many a Saturday matinee was spent watching those at the local theater. The HG Wells adaptations.
    Also the equally brilliant Jules Verne who was a huge influence on the Technological Revolution (2nd Industrial Revolution) , fantastical voyages that captured the imagination.
    Yes, indeed. Big Jules Verne fan here.
    And I do understand your point about switching off your brain. If there’s variation within the genre, it can only be a good thing. Much like Bond. Or Marvel. But sometimes they make something truly great, G-1, CR,… and we get immediately addicted to taht sort of quality, wich eventually causes many future frustrations with sub par entries. But like I said, I do understand your point. I too watch Transformers, Marvel,… But once in a while there’s that film that transcends it’s own pulp genre and gains immortality not as a cult film, but just as an undeniable good film. Godzilla minus one won big in that sense.
    Univex wrote: »
    Yes, indeed. Big Jules Verne fan here.
    And I do understand your point about switching off your brain. If there’s variation within the genre, it can only be a good thing. Much like Bond. Or Marvel. But sometimes they make something truly great, G-1, CR,… and we get immediately addicted to taht sort of quality, wich eventually causes many future frustrations with sub par entries. But like I said, I do understand your point. I too watch Transformers, Marvel,… But once in a while there’s that film that transcends it’s own pulp genre and gains immortality not as a cult film, but just as an undeniable good film. Godzilla minus one won big in that sense.

If silly switch your brain films are an odd acception nothing wrong with that, you never want that type of movie making to be the norm.

---
    If these toys scale are anything to go by from Godzilla X Kong, the Skar King and especially Shimo are going to cause our heroes real problems...
    s-l1200.webp
    Shimo stood on hind legs will be colossal.
    I'm giving everyone yet more "homework"! :))

https://variety.com/video/godzilla-minus-one-visual-effects-oscars/

https://torontosun.com/entertainment/movies/godzilla-oscar-newbie-stomps-into-the-academy-awards

And finally, Adam Wingard (Director of Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire) weighs in:

"It was fantastic. It's one of the best Godzilla movies I've ever seen. Their take on Godzilla is so different than mine. I'm following the later '60s, '70s Showa pattern, where Godzilla is the hero character. In Minus One, Godzilla reacts in a way that's metaphorical to what the characters are going through. It's such a different movie than ours tonally. You're getting more Godzilla now than ever, but you're seeing all sides of him. It's really super-cool."

For his part (IIRC), Takashi Yamazaki has seen Wingard's film and likes it.
    Though Takashi Yamazaki likely wouldn’t do it i wonder how he would tackle 007

Wouldnt be the worst director
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Dwayne wrote: »
    I'm giving everyone yet more "homework"! :))

https://variety.com/video/godzilla-minus-one-visual-effects-oscars/

https://torontosun.com/entertainment/movies/godzilla-oscar-newbie-stomps-into-the-academy-awards

And finally, Adam Wingard (Director of Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire) weighs in:

"It was fantastic. It's one of the best Godzilla movies I've ever seen. Their take on Godzilla is so different than mine. I'm following the later '60s, '70s Showa pattern, where Godzilla is the hero character. In Minus One, Godzilla reacts in a way that's metaphorical to what the characters are going through. It's such a different movie than ours tonally. You're getting more Godzilla now than ever, but you're seeing all sides of him. It's really super-cool."

For his part (IIRC), Takashi Yamazaki has seen Wingard's film and likes it.

Fantastic VFX breakdown. Loved the movie, and having the director in the VFX seat I bet led to some very creative shots. Lovely to see what appears to be classic scrappy filmmaking deliver such scale. Incredible, truly.
    Meet Yamazaki and his team a few days ago. He is truly a fan of the big G in every way. Spielberg asked him if he could have the Godzilla figure he brought with him and it now resides at Steven's house. His team is simply the best.
    delfloria wrote: »
    Meet Yamazaki and his team a few days ago. He is truly a fan of the big G in every way. Spielberg asked him if he could have the Godzilla figure he brought with him and it now resides at Steven's house. His team is simply the best.

Did you ask him about 007?
    Risico007 wrote: »

We talked for quite a while but Bond never came up. I actually don't think he would be the right fit for Bond in any case. Working through an interpreter and the general style of Japanese cinema does not seem like quite the right fit for 007.

We talked for quite a while but Bond never came up. I actually don't think he would be the right fit for Bond in any case. Working through an interpreter and the general style of Japanese cinema does not seem like quite the right fit for 007.

I agree its a challenge but for my money Yamazaki took Godzilla and made it a personal story and (what is more impressive) mad a horror film. Every time they were on the water i was terrified
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    James Bond vs. Godzilla! in 3D
    I had to smile at this: Director Takashi Yamazaki and lead actor Kamiki Ryunosuke find the "Godzilla" star in Hollywood.

Are you in LA @delfloria? I think that Mr. Yamazaki is attending another "one-off" screening on GODZILLA: MINUS ONE tonight (Monday, Feb 19th). You guys are really lucky.
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/godzilla-minus-one-director-flattered-231500969.html
    Dwayne wrote: »
    I had to smile at this: Director Takashi Yamazaki and lead actor Kamiki Ryunosuke find the "Godzilla" star in Hollywood.

Are you in LA @delfloria? I think that Mr. Yamazaki is attending another "one-off" screening on GODZILLA: MINUS ONE tonight (Monday, Feb 19th). You guys are really lucky.
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/godzilla-minus-one-director-flattered-231500969.html

Yep, I had a chance to catch up with him during an Academy screening.
    edited February 21 Posts: 2,626
    Godzilla Minus One Japanese theater exclusive program
    https://archive.org/details/godzilla-1-theater-program/page/n55/mode/2up

WOW. This is really awesome. There was a time (long, long ago) when some theaters/movie studios gave out (or made available) "programs" during the opening of a major film.
    edited March 2 Posts: 23,369
    Firs time watch of Shin Godzilla, god this is good. It was on offer so had to buy it.

'Truly a God incarnate'.
    Firs time watch of Shin Godzilla, god this is good. It was on offer so had to buy it.

'Truly a God incarnate'.

I heard it was bad

'Truly a God incarnate'.

I heard it was bad

I think it was awesome, loved it.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Yeah I saw it in a theatre with my family. We loved it.

Very lucky, I would have loved to see Shin Godzilla on the big screen.
    edited March 2 Posts: 23,369
    GODZILLA X KONG THE NEW EMPIRE "Kong Masters Skar King's Whiplash Weapon" Trailer (NEW 2024)

I may watch this at the cinema for Shimo the scale of this monster will be insane.
    edited March 3 Posts: 2,626

Very lucky, I would have loved to see Shin Godzilla on the big screen.

Here in the US Shin Godzilla had a limited two-week engagement in October 2016. IIRC, it only played in about 500 theaters, so while its per screen box office was fairly good, its total BO reach was small.

As for the DVD release, FUNimation - which handled the theatrical release in the US for Toho -prepared an English language dub despite the original release being screened only in Japanese with subtitles. I've never watched the dubbed version all the way through, so I can't say whether it's good or not. The subtitles for SHIN GODZILLA can be a little hard to follow at first, since - in addition to dialogue - we are frequently given information on a person's title and/or the location of a particular scene. Having said that, that may have been the point the film makers were looking for!

As for the film, it ranks among my top five. The only real blemish (IMO) is actress Satomi Ishihara's performance. In the film, as Kayoko, the daughter of a US Senator, she is supposed to be bilingual. Yet anytime she delivered lines in English I kind of felt sorry for her. In real life, Ms. Ishihara doesn't speak English and IIRC from an interview, she was surprised by the number of "english" lines she was required to speak.
    534613_v9_ba.jpg
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited March 3 Posts: 13,032
    Shin Godzilla plays on real life disasters in Japan and the governmental bureaucratic reactions complicating response.

Striking a chord for my family living local to Tokyo during and after the 3/11/2011 earthquake, tsunami and Fukushima nuclear plant events.

Godzilla Minus One fits and improves on that ethos, drawing on meaningful experience and history. They're both well done and appreciated.

• MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Academy Award winning Godzilla - Long Live the King!