Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Every new project that comes out during this interim from EON, will have their leading man attached to Bond as a means of publicity, that's all. From Kraven to Masters of the Air, from Argyle to Saltburn, ...

It's just how the media wagon works.

Doesn't mean we cannot jump on it for a while, for fun's sake. Forum's are meant for this, after all. But let's not be too serious about it, shall we? We mustn't fight one another for truth, when there are only a few names being pushed into the limelight, briefly as it may be, just to be quickly thrown aside in the coming months.

EON could very well respond to all of this, but why should they? It's free publicity for both sides, while they keep on chewing the Craig era to no end as they go through their very difficult mourning ;)
  • edited February 6 Posts: 486
    To be honest, I was massively pro-Craig before CR was released and stayed a huge fan until the release of Spectre, but kinda was over him after that. I don't think I could ever get sick of ATJ, not even after 10 ATJ Bond films. He is wonderful!
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 6 Posts: 2,932
    ATJ's actually a pretty damn good actor. Maybe not as naturalistic as, say, Jack O' Connell, but playing a lot of 'character' parts rather than leads has given him quite a decent range - from being a convincingly lowlife evil swine in Nocturnal Animals to OTT comedy in Bullet Train. Pre-Craig, I wouldn't have thought of ATJ anywhere near Bond's radar, tbh, but in a post-Craig world I can see how it might work. The voice, though, guys, the voice...

• buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    To be honest, I was massively pro-Craig before CR was released and stayed a huge fan until the release of Spectre, but kinda was over him after that. I don't think I could ever get sick of ATJ, not even after 10 ATJ Bond films. He is wonderful!

Chill out, ATJ, we know it's you.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Well if that makes @Colonel_Venus ATJ, does that mean that you are...A. Turner?

;)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Benny wrote: »

;)
    Well we know that @Denbigh is really C. Turner. 😏
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    talos7 wrote: »

;)
    Well we know that @Denbigh is really C. Turner. 😏
    👀 although my bank account doesn’t think so ;)

;)

Haha, quite right there Benny 😄 You got me.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    The biggest issue I have with Callum Turner is that he doesn't look tough enough. All the other areas he ticks all the right boxes, but he doesn't have that hard edge. He doesn't have that blunt instrument killer look.
    That's not to say he doesn't deserve a screentest. ;)

I don't know, for me he just looks too laddish.

He's an actor, so hopefully it's not too much of a stretch to be able to play an upper class gentleman.

After all, it didn't do Connery any harm... ;)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited February 7 Posts: 4,446
    For long time in draft, but because i at him to Next actor elimation game.

Colin O'Donoghue (1981, Ireland)

MV5BNmJkNjNjOGMtYTdlMi00M2ExLWE3MGMtZWE0NWY2YzFlOTg2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTY2Mjk3NTg@._V1_UY1200_CR84,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

But like other people suggestions, 80's actors is mabey already to old. Whyle i think he can easily go for 36 looking. He will be first actor who is a bit younger then me.
    "Go on Bond!"
    I mean, uh, "Go on lad!"
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    In an interview Hugh Jackman revealed that, pre Craig, he was contacted by the powers that be to see if he had any interest in being considered for Bond; he also said that he eventually found out that several actors had received the same call. I think it’s highly likely that similar calls are being made now, under the radar.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited February 7 Posts: 8,097
    The general consensus appears to be that EON will go with an unknown because that's what they did with Craig, but I'd wager the next Bond actor has been sitting under our noses for years and is likely to be one of the following: Aidan Turner, Nicholas Hoult, Callum Turner, Aaron Taylour Johnson, Sope Dirisu, Henry Cavill, among others.

Bond 21 was all about breaking the bond mold and Craigs casting made sense, however in the modern day they need someone with the classic mystique and swagger, in other words someone that feels familair and the audience already knows can handle themselves.
  • edited February 8 Posts: 176
    Denbigh wrote: »
    @peter I meant more in the sense that this rumour might be gossip spread through discussion pages like this. As I said Aaron and Callum have been and still are being discussed by us at length so would not be surprised at all if the gossip spread from here or anywhere else there names are being bounced around...

I do often think "never say never", but I'm not gonna put all my eggs into this basket because of the reasons you've also stated above. I'd probably be more likely to believe the rumour if the names were rather left field and again wasn't being discussed at length by James Bond discussion boards.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I'd love to know just how many discussions and debates we've had on here that have led to "breaking news" and "juicy rumors" across the Internet.

I guess it's time to start championing myself to play the next Bond, see if any outlets pick it up eventually.
    peter wrote: »
    Yeah I guess that could be very true. Spies for gossip sites scouring and mining popular fan sites for “news” they can turn into clicks. I’m pretty sure that’s how most of the rags poop out their BS on a daily basis (and not just about Bond, either)!

It wouldn't be the first time. A few years ago the member pierce2daniel was posting about how the producers should/perhaps are looking at younger, unconventional types for Bond, and that they should consider Robert Pattinson and Timothy Chalamet, or at least actors similar to these two. Within days of these posts there was an article on Express saying this exact thing almost verbatim. That they were in fact looking for a younger, less conventional actor and specifically mentioned that they are considering Pattinson and Chalamet, or at least similar actors, and even said "or a Robert Pattinson-type", which is exactly what pierce2daniel said in one of his posts at the time. According to the article all of this came from a "reliable film insider." So either they just copied it from this thread, or the supposed "film insider" is actually the member I mentioned. Either way though, it was definitely a case where content from this thread showed up in a clickbait rumor article.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Denbigh wrote: »
    @peter I meant more in the sense that this rumour might be gossip spread through discussion pages like this. As I said Aaron and Callum have been and still are being discussed by us at length so would not be surprised at all if the gossip spread from here or anywhere else there names are being bounced around...

I do often think "never say never", but I'm not gonna put all my eggs into this basket because of the reasons you've also stated above. I'd probably be more likely to believe the rumour if the names were rather left field and again wasn't being discussed at length by James Bond discussion boards.
    I'd love to know just how many discussions and debates we've had on here that have led to "breaking news" and "juicy rumors" across the Internet.

I guess it's time to start championing myself to play the next Bond, see if any outlets pick it up eventually.
    Yeah I guess that could be very true. Spies for gossip sites scouring and mining popular fan sites for “news” they can turn into clicks. I’m pretty sure that’s how most of the rags poop out their BS on a daily basis (and not just about Bond, either)!

It wouldn't be the first time. A few years ago the member pierce2daniel was posting about how the producers should/perhaps are looking at younger, unconventional types for Bond, and that they should consider Robert Pattinson and Timothy Chalamet, or at least actors similar to these two. Within days of these posts there was an article on Express saying this exact thing almost verbatim. That they were in fact looking for a younger, less conventional actor and specifically mentioned that they are considering Pattinson and Chalamet, or at least similar actors, and even said "or a Robert Pattinson-type", which is exactly what pierce2daniel said in one of his posts at the time. According to the article all of this came from a "reliable film insider." So either they just copied it from this thread, or the supposed "film insider" is actually the member I mentioned. Either way though, it was definitely a case where content from this thread showed up in a clickbait rumor article.

Or it could have just been a coincidence, those happen too.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    edited February 8 Posts: 732
    The general consensus appears to be that EON will go with an unknown because that's what they did with Craig, but I'd wager the next Bond actor has been sitting under our noses for years and is likely to be one of the following: Aidan Turner, Nicholas Hoult, Callum Turner, Aaron Taylour Johnson, Sope Dirisu, Henry Cavill, among others.

Bond 21 was all about breaking the bond mold and Craigs casting made sense, however in the modern day they need someone with the classic mystique and swagger, in other words someone that feels familair and the audience already knows can handle themselves.

Craig wasn't unknown, he was a 'name' in Britain, and starred in some high-profile TV miniseries, as well as supporting parts in big films and starring roles in smaller ones, It's just back then things weren't quite so international as they are now, where we're all aware of and are watching lots of films and shows from different countries. I really wouldn't have said Craig was less well-known than Aidan Turner, Callum Turner, or Sope Dirisu, I think the internet and streaming services have just made smaller names more high-profile.
  • edited February 8 Posts: 2,930
    Yeah, save for Lazenby (even then he’d done commercials/modelling) unknown actors don’t play Bond. They’re not a-listers (worth mentioning incidentally that because we on these forums constantly hear names like Callum Turner and Sope Dirisu etc as potentials, we know who they are, whereas most people wouldn’t necessarily know them by name) but they’re established. You really don’t want someone inexperienced playing this role.

I also don’t think they’ll be too bothered about choosing someone more ‘traditional’ one way or the other. The casting process is likely much more organic and intuitive, and it’s not something that any of us really know that much about. They’ll go for who they think has potential, is available, and who brings the qualities they’re most interested in to an audition.
  • edited February 8 Posts: 176

I don't see how it could be. The same points being made, the same wording, the exact same two names (Pattinson and Chalamet). And Chalamet is an odd choice too. If the article had said Hardy and Cavill or something like that I'd say it was probably coincidence. And the article was about 3 days after his post. I'm sorry, but I don't think that's a coincidence.

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 8 Posts: 2,932
    I don't see how it could be. The same points being made, the same wording, the exact same two names (Pattinson and Chalamet). And Chalamet is an odd choice too. If the article had said Hardy and Cavill or something like that I'd say it was probably coincidence. And the article was about 3 days after his post. I'm sorry, but I don't think that's a coincidence.

No, nor me. My hot water ran fine, I had the boiler serviced and then straight after there was no hot water. Corgi Homeplan literally claimed it was a coincidence and refused to fix it. Hogwash. Balderdash. Nay, piffle. I'm sure coincidences do happen occasionally, but most times I'd go with cause and effect.
    007HallY wrote: »
    The casting process is likely much more organic and intuitive... They’ll go for who they think has potential, is available, and who brings the qualities they’re most interested in to an audition.
    Yes, I can see that being just the sort of process that was behind them having a word with ATJ. Er, if they actually did, obvs... :D
    Venutius wrote: »
    No, nor me. My hot water ran fine, I had the boiler serviced and then straight after there was no hot water. Corgi Homeplan literally claimed it was a coincidence and refused to fix it. Hogwash. Balderdash. Nay, piffle. I'm sure coincidences do happen occasionally, but most times I'd go with cause and effect.
    007HallY wrote: »
    The casting process is likely much more organic and intuitive... They’ll go for who they think has potential, is available, and who brings the qualities they’re most interested in to an audition.
    Yes, I can see that being just the sort of process that behind them having a word with ATJ. Er, if they actually did, obvs...

I suppose we’ll find out if they did much later. I can’t see why they wouldn’t have chatted with him though. Not that he auditioned or shot a gun barrel or anything like that. But if they did meet him they certainly met with other actors too who may or may not audition when the time comes.
  • peterpeter Toronto

I know @Pierce2Daniel … the guy has his ear to the ground, is creative as hell, has interesting thoughts and concepts to casting…. But thankfully, he’s no hack.

But there’s a lot of truth to a rag coming on here and picking up things we say, and I was a victim of it: about a year and a half ago, I was notified about the development of a LW5 script from a main player on that film series.

I reported it on here and inside of a week, I think, @talos7 posted an article on some slubby film site that identified and quoted me (without my permission, of course).

So yes, it likely has happened when these sites have no real sources, they pick-off things on fan websites.

That’s why I always say wait for Deadline/Variety orHollywood Reporter to confirm or to publish rumours…

This taught me a lesson too: be a little more discreet when leaking any thing I may hear, 😂 (loose lips sink ships, and all of that)….
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 8 Posts: 5,869
    I'm intrigued by this. I'm yet to see Hell or High Water, but I quite enjoyed Outlaw King, with ATJ being one of the best things about that film in my opinion so I'm excited by their reunion for sure.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Denbigh, watch Hell or High Water as soon as you can. It's one of my favorite newer neo-Westerns.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Denbigh, watch Hell or High Water as soon as you can. It's one of my favorite newer neo-Westerns.

I second this. Great flick.
    Indeed. Great cast. Foster is the man.

I guess this means David MacKenzie most likely won't be on the list of potential Bond 26 directors, since he is now working on this movie. That's sad, I think he would have been a very interesting choice.
    Mackenzie has always been someone who I favoured as director for a Bond movie!
    And I also recommend 'Hell or High Water', great thriller! 'Outlaw King' is also worth a watch as is 'Starred Up'
    Wasn’t Mackenzie considered at one point for NTTD? Interesting director anyway, although yes this does mean he might be busy. That said I think until EON sit down with some of these directors/get a sense of their approach to a Bond films it’s difficult to know who’d be best.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    JONATHAN_BAILEY.jpg

SS24_PRESS-RELEASE_v1.jpeg

Something interesting to note. Jonathan Bailey became an OMEGA Ambassador in April 2023 and is now staring in Orlebar Brown's Spring 2024 Campaign