Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Univex wrote: »
    Brosnan had grey all over in 1994. Even his beard was already grey. I love those photos from the reveal that year. Long hair, beard. Black suit with brown shoes, polka dot tie. But at least no buoyancy vest and blonde hair ;) Actually, I think Craig looked more Bondian in his reveal.
    Thing is, in the beginning, even the best don't look Bondian enough. Then, movie magic happens ;)

If I had seen that bearded hippie at the premiere of OHMSS in '69, I'd probably have been very afraid of what the film would give me. And then the film would swiftly set me at ease. ;-)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I've never seen, nor will I ever see, the 50 Shades films.

But I've recently watched Jamie Dornan in three films and/or series:

The Fall
    Belfast
    The Tourist

I imagine he may be too old for James Bond, but I think he'd be a solid choice. Oozes masculinity and broody likability. But he can play subtle, thoughtful and vulnerable. He appears to have a nice, athletic frame, and he does shine in every scene I've watched of him.

In The Fall, it's a complex character study of a serial killer, hiding behind the facade of a loving husband and father.

In Belfast, he plays everything beautifully and subtly as the character Pa. He truly represented fatherhood in this, worrying about his family and looking at a better life for them...

And in The Tourist, he plays a desperate man, piecing together the mystery of who he is (he's a character who was attacked and wakes up with amnesia; he finds himself, an Irishman, in the desolate Australian outback)....

Three, very different roles, but I love his energy and he goes all in (The Fall was really well written and directed, but Anderson (a performer I usually enjoy), was so bloody annoying with her whispering depiction of an investigating officer, that if it wasn't for Dornan's magnetic performance, I'd have probably turned it off).

He seemingly shies away from bigger projects with huge exposure (reading a recent article, he explains that the 50 Shades films did his head in, and that kind of attention turned him off), so it sounds like Bond wouldn't suit his lifestyle, but if chosen I'm more than positive he'd bring the goods...
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    peter wrote: »
    I've never seen, nor will I ever see, the 50 Shades films.

But I've recently watched Jamie Dornan in three films and/or series:

The Fall
    Belfast
    The Tourist

I imagine he may be too old for James Bond, but I think he'd be a solid choice. Oozes masculinity and broody likability. But he can play subtle, thoughtful and vulnerable. He appears to have a nice, athletic frame, and he does shine in every scene I've watched of him.

In The Fall, it's a complex character study of a serial killer, hiding behind the facade of a loving husband and father.

In Belfast, he plays everything beautifully and subtly as the character Pa. He truly represented fatherhood in this, worrying about his family and looking at a better life for them...

And in The Tourist, he plays a desperate man, piecing together the mystery of who he is (he's a character who was attacked and wakes up with amnesia; he finds himself, an Irishman, in the desolate Australian outback)....

Three, very different roles, but I love his energy and he goes all in (The Fall was really well written and directed, but Anderson (a performer I usually enjoy), was so bloody annoying with her whispering depiction of an investigating officer, that if it wasn't for Dornan's magnetic performance, I'd have probably turned it off).

He seemingly shies away from bigger projects with huge exposure (reading a recent article, he explains that the 50 Shades films did his head in, and that kind of attention turned him off), so it sounds like Bond wouldn't suit his lifestyle, but if chosen I'm more than positive he'd bring the goods...

Yeah. I agree....Dornan's a really good actor. It all depends on EON these days. Actors in their 40s, should still be considered like Moore, Dalton & Brosnan.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 4 Posts: 2,928
    when a Bond candidate is in Bond mode, he's different from other modes he's in.
    This is true and it's another reason why it does actors a bit of a disservice when we compare them (and I'm guilty of this too) directly to the people who've actually played Bond. First saw Dan in '93ish (Sharpe) and had seen him in a lot of stuff by the time he was cast in 2005. I liked him and thought he was a great actor, but never once did I think of him as a likely Bond. Not Layer Cake, nothing. Couldn't see it when he was announced, couldn't figure out how it could possibly work. But by the time that CraigBond blew up the embassy 15 minutes into CR, I was sold completely. By the end of the film he was my favourite Bond. That's an indication of the difference that actually playing Bond can make - and it's something that's absent from all of these guys' photos and clips. Said it before, but after Dan I'll give whoever gets the role the benefit of the doubt til I see the actual movie.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    Brosnan had grey all over in 1994. Even his beard was already grey. I love those photos from the reveal that year. Long hair, beard. Black suit with brown shoes, polka dot tie. But at least no buoyancy vest and blonde hair ;) Actually, I think Craig looked more Bondian in his reveal.
    Thing is, in the beginning, even the best don't look Bondian enough. Then, movie magic happens ;)

If I had seen that bearded hippie at the premiere of OHMSS in '69, I'd probably have been very afraid of what the film would give me. And then the film would swiftly set me at ease. ;-)

Indeed. Someone should do a montage of Bond actors pre Bond in their best disheveled look. Tom Waldek would do a brilliant trailer of it. Does anyone remember Thomas? His trailers were the best! Miss them.
  • meshypushymeshypushy Ireland
    I would suggest watching The Gold, if anyone doubts Lowden’s ‘bastard quality’.

If we’re looking at ‘Baby Bond’ candidates (<35), my top 3 would be:
    1. Lowden (he would also have the option of giving us a Scottish accent)
    2. Egerton (Kingsman may have destroyed his chances but surely after Black Bird, he deserves to be in the mix)
    3. Dirisu

If Eon could churn out 3 movies in a 9-10 year timeframe (and we are looking at candidates >35), my top 3 would be:
    1. Dornan
    2. Fassbender
    3. Jack Huston

My top 3 ‘Dear Lord No’ candidates would be:
    1. ATJ (his smug look can only be the result of someone who is happily constipated)
    2. Keoghan (short arsed, one trick pony character actor - maybe a Nick Nack 2.0, at best)
    3. Mescal (the Milky Bar Kid with facial hair)
    meshypushy wrote: »
    I would suggest watching The Gold, if anyone doubts Lowden’s ‘bastard quality’.

If we’re looking at ‘Baby Bond’ candidates (<35), my top 3 would be:
    1. Lowden (he would also have the option of giving us a Scottish accent)
    2. Egerton (Kingsman may have destroyed his chances but surely after Black Bird, he deserves to be in the mix)
    3. Dirisu

If Eon could churn out 3 movies in a 9-10 year timeframe (and we are looking at candidates >35), my top 3 would be:
    1. Dornan
    2. Fassbender
    3. Jack Huston

My top 3 ‘Dear Lord No’ candidates would be:
    1. ATJ (his smug look can only be the result of someone who is happily constipated)
    2. Keoghan (short arsed, one trick pony character actor - maybe a Nick Nack 2.0, at best)
    3. Mescal (the Milky Bar Kid with facial hair)

"Yo, meshypushy! You'll love me in the role!"

GettyImages-1412405754.jpg?w=900&h=540&q=low

;))
  • meshypushy wrote: »
    I don't understand why some here list ATJ's smug look as a negative. Bond is smug!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I don't understand why some here list ATJ's smug look as a negative. Bond is smug!

I think it's more the actor who's smug and full of himself and that's off-putting for many people, including myself.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon

Bond isn't street smug, like dufus above
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 4 Posts: 5,869
    I don't really see the smug thing in all honesty. I really don't. No more than any other person in his line of work? In my opinion, it's very easy to come across negatively in this profession so take everything with a grain of salt.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    AP22201641723918.jpg?w=600&h=337&crop=1
    😩 please Barbara don't do this to us
  • peterpeter Toronto
    He just seems like an actor whose vanity has overcome him.
  • The smell the fart acting is strong with ATJ.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    He looks like Marv from Home Alone in that picture.
  • Harry- I've reached the top!
  • meshypushymeshypushy Ireland
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I think it's more the actor who's smug and full of himself and that's off-putting for many people, including myself.

Whilst Brosnan and Moore could both be accused of being overtly confident (bordering on smarmy) in the role, personally, I found their takes likeable (and neither to be off-putting personally, when not in character). ATJ just always appears to have that ‘resting smug face’ going on.

There’s a fine line between confident / suave and asshole.

I just cannot warm to the guy. Horses for courses, of course.

If EON were to cast him and then blow him to smithereens with a hail of rockets at the end of Bond 26 in a gratuitous manner (The World is not Snuff?) - maybe that would get my ass to the cinema.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 5 Posts: 2,928
    I do see what people mean about ATJ's 'resting smug face' and 'fine line between confident and a-hole', but I get the same vibe from Theo James, tbh. Always thought he was pretty much playing himself in that Inbetweeners film. Although, he might be nothing like that and just be really good at playing a jerk, obvs!
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    I think ATJ is just been playful though.
    Murdock wrote: »
    He looks like Marv from Home Alone in that picture.

You've nailed it mate
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »

I would rather him be Bond than most of the candidates suggested

I'm pleased people are talking about Callum Turner. I saw him in a TV show three years ago and stuck £10 on him at 16-1. Not life changing, but I had a sneaky feeling at the time that he would be a very good off the wall option, just like Craig had been.

Now his profile is alot higher, so who knows?
    edited February 5 Posts: 17,806
    I don't really see the smug thing in all honesty. I really don't. No more than any other person in his line of work? In my opinion, it's very easy to come across negatively in this profession so take everything with a grain of salt.

I've not seen ATJ acting in anything but I have seen him as himself in the clip below and he comes across as smug and arrogant:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/0jEmZRwFwQ8

I've not seen ATJ acting in anything but I have seen him as himself in the clip below and he comes across as smug and arrogant:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/0jEmZRwFwQ8

I’m torn between whether that backflip is impressive or if the video (not necessarily ATJ) is cringey. I couldn’t do that to be fair…

Anyway, as for ATJ’s ‘smugness’, it’s arguably just as irrelevant as any other non-Bondian quality that the previous actors had offscreen (and they’ve all had their share). All that matters is how he approaches the role if he auditions. For me personally, it’s a case where I’ve simply found he lacks that edge/memorability in some of his roles, but honestly if he were announced as the next Bond I’d happily give him the benefit of the doubt.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    https://variety.com/2024/film/global/jacob-elordi-police-investigation-alleged-assault-radio-producer-1235897930/

If Elordi was even considered, probably not now. Can't be choking people you don't like in the real world. Curious to see this develop
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 5 Posts: 5,869
    That backflip video is just someone enjoying themselves and showing off something they can do and wanting to do it right, which is a lot coming from ATJ because for a while, he was always quite shy and reserved in his interviews. It was only until Nocturnal Animals that it seemed he started coming out of his shell so yeah I fully disagree with the smugness.

I don’t get it, and seemingly never will.
    This isn't a dig at just ATJ, but a lot of the potential candidates, they're not chilled out or naturally cool. They all seem to be doing too much in interviews and press.
    Perhaps it'll come with age for most of them
    Getting a bit ridiculous now. You know I'm gonna do it.

These guys keep forgetting that. What can you do? 😔

These guys keep forgetting that. What can you do? 😔

I can do what I was born to do. It's time to get out of first gear!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

And I’m sure we’re all behind you @DewiWynBond

If you do get the part, will you still post here?
    I’d imagine the exposure would be quite extreme.