Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Venutius wrote: »
    Yes, same, I hate getting a cold. I never seem to get 'a bit of a sniffle' - if I get a cold, it's always an evil, uber swine of a cold that takes about three weeks to shake off fully! Luckily, I don't get them often but when I do...grrrr...

Glad I'm not the only one, @Venutius. Must be our super power. This 'condition' isn't doing me any social favors either. As soon as someone walks in with a cold, I make a run for it. When people with leaky noses approach me, I turn around and get the hell out. Because once I've caught the bug, I'm being pushed to my limits.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    FoxRox wrote: »
    @DarthDimi

I hope you are feeling better! :) Do report back when you can!

Hi, @FoxRox. I am feeling better today; I'll be back at work even. But the past four days were terrible. Truth is, I've never been able to take a cold very well. My nose constantly leaking, buckets of water flowing from my eyes, unable to breathe while trying to sleep at night... A "common" cold is hellish pain and suffering for me. Some people call it a minor nuisance; I call it punishment. All day long, I'm taking aspirin, lidocaine pills, nose sprays and caffeine, just to stay on my feet. Honestly, I think I'd rather have explosive diarrhea than a cold. ;-) I suffered through COVID in the Summer of 2022; even that episode felt less bad than this.

But, things are improving. I'll still be making some nasal sounds today, but the worst seems over.

Anyway, thanks, @FoxRox, for checking on me. How are you, friend?

@DarthDimi

I’m sorry to hear that; sounds like a rough time :/ I’m glad you were able to get back to work, though, and hopefully indeed the worst has passed. And of course, want to make sure you’re okay! My only problems now are my smelling, some discomfort in the nasal area in general, and sluggishness. I have returned to work, but they’re letting me sit out the more physically demanding things I’d normally do for now. The best news is that I actually have 5 more days off coming next week for my birthday, so hopefully those ones can be enjoyed sick-free! :)
    @DarthDimi

Hi, @FoxRox. I am feeling better today; I'll be back at work even. But the past four days were terrible. Truth is, I've never been able to take a cold very well. My nose constantly leaking, buckets of water flowing from my eyes, unable to breathe while trying to sleep at night... A "common" cold is hellish pain and suffering for me. Some people call it a minor nuisance; I call it punishment. All day long, I'm taking aspirin, lidocaine pills, nose sprays and caffeine, just to stay on my feet. Honestly, I think I'd rather have explosive diarrhea than a cold. ;-) I suffered through COVID in the Summer of 2022; even that episode felt less bad than this.

But, things are improving. I'll still be making some nasal sounds today, but the worst seems over.

@DarthDimi

I’m sorry to hear that; sounds like a rough time :/ I’m glad you were able to get back to work, though, and hopefully indeed the worst has passed. And of course, want to make sure you’re okay! My only problems now are my smelling, some discomfort in the nasal area in general, and sluggishness. I have returned to work, but they’re letting me sit out the more physically demanding things I’d normally do for now. The best news is that I actually have 5 more days off coming next week for my birthday, so hopefully those ones can be enjoyed sick-free! :)

Thank you so much for your kindness, @FoxRox. I've had a good day today. All I need now is many hours of sleep. Haven't seen too many of those these last couple of days.

And good to know that you're doing better too. Your sense of smelling will no doubt return. BUT, time for important things now; your birthday is coming up then?
    @DarthDimi

@DarthDimi

Thank you so much for your kindness, @FoxRox. I've had a good day today. All I need now is many hours of sleep. Haven't seen too many of those these last couple of days.

And good to know that you're doing better too. Your sense of smelling will no doubt return. BUT, time for important things now; your birthday is coming up then?

Sleep is the most important thing! I can get sick symptoms from a lack of sleep alone myself! Sometimes I do have to take pills though since my thoughts race at night. Thank you very much! Yes, January 31 - the last day of the first month! You’d think it’d be fairly easy to remember because of that, yet I’m always forgotten by a few “friends” xP
    @DarthDimi

@DarthDimi

Sleep is the most important thing! I can get sick symptoms from a lack of sleep alone myself! Sometimes I do have to take pills though since my thoughts race at night. Thank you very much! Yes, January 31 - the last day of the first month! You’d think it’d be fairly easy to remember because of that, yet I’m always forgotten by a few “friends” xP

Just make sure you are back on your feet for the party! 😉😉
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I have a two week window between my old job and starting my new job. Mrs. Benny has a list of chores she wants done during this time.
    It's lucky that I love her, or else weeding the garden and sorting out the spare room would be placed on hold.
    First world problems. :))
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Benny wrote: »
    I have a two week window between my old job and starting my new job. Mrs. Benny has a list of chores she wants done during this time.
    It's lucky that I love her, or else weeding the garden and sorting out the spare room would be placed on hold.

I think that is what is known in the trade as a busman's holiday, @Benny. Love conquers all. ;)

Wives. They rule us all.
    Trouble is @DarthDimi I’d be lost without mine.
    And she knows it.
    Trouble is @DarthDimi I’d be lost without mine.
    And she knows it.

Same here. Ans she knows it too. And she knows how to use that. ;-)
    I wanted to get married once but my wife wouldn't let me.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

That made me laugh, @Dragonpol.

What's that dear?

Now?

Forgive me, @Dragonpol. I have to run. The wife needs me.

That made me laugh, @Dragonpol.

What's that dear?

Now?

Forgive me, @Dragonpol. I have to run. The wife needs me.

I couldn't resist it. It's an old joke. I'm (sadly) not even married. In fact, there's an old song that goes like that:

It was later made famous by British prime minister James Callaghan as he ruled out an early general election in 1978, something later seen as a big mistake.

Some holidays. But congratulations on your new job.

holy prison time , Batman......
    It happens that while I'm teaching my students (ages 17 - 18), younger kids (ages 13 - 14) walk past my lab and, just for fun, bang on the door or throw it open for no reason, and then run away fast while laughing maniacally. They have no business being there in the first place and this seemingly innocent form of "taunting" gets annoying and frustrating after a while.

Though I usually stay calm and patient and swiftly continue my work, I can also be temperamental and sometimes lose my composure. Today was such a day. I stormed out of the lab, ran after one of those punks, caught him by the collar of his shirt and gave him hell. Not physically, mind. I just made it very clear what I thought of him.

Except... I had caught the wrong guy. Turns out he had nothing to do with it. I apologized profusely and explained the situation to the kid, and he said he understood it and after calming down accepted my apologies. So that's that. But I'm feeling so bad about it right now. I'm the adult, I'm supposed to know better. If I catch troublemakers, I should reprimand them, not start a bar fight. Sometimes, though, my anger and the adrenaline boost that comes with it cloud my mind and bring out a darker side of myself, which I am then unable to control. My "boss", the school principal, has assured me that I shouldn't worry about it. We're all human, she said, and since I immediately apologised to that kid, it should all blow over without any fuss.

Still, I have come home with a deep feeling of guilt: I should have been a good teacher, and today, I wasn't.
    @DarthDimi

I'm sorry to read all that, it sounds like a situation that would eat me up as well. Guilt is one of the biggest things I've struggled with all my life; there are terrible things I've done many years ago in my youth that I still hate myself for and can't forgive myself for, and even though it feels like a completely different person and I couldn't possibly be capable of such things now, it makes me question if I deserve happiness, and if all the bad things that happen to me are just the world's way of giving me what I deserve for past wrongdoings. I promise you I've done way worse things with worse intentions.

On-topic for the thread, this year has gotten off to a pretty terrible start all around for me. Catching COVID, having several factors making me fear about my job security, bad things happening to loved ones, having things out of my control continually go the wrong way, just nothing good going. January is a bad month in general, and this might be my worst one yet; it just figures I'd have to be born in it and have my existence tied to it. Just as a new year with new promise comes in, it's always swiftly dashed. I need some kind of spark and positive turnaround.
    @FoxRox
    Thank you for the kind words. I've come to realise that guilt is something we "collect" as we move forward in life. But as long as we understand what we did wrong and have gone out of our way to make amends, even if we cannot turn back time, we may have come out of such experiences as better people.

And let me be the first here to say that I hope, truly hope, that you will swiftly find that spark of positivity. I have only had the honour of knowing you in this virtual environment, but you are on my shortlist, sir. I therefore hope that as soon as the days grow sunnier again, your heart is warmed up too and you find some of that much-deserved happiness again. Meanwhile, don't be a stranger. This forum is a place where people find good friends, and you have many here.
    @DarthDimi

Of course; I’m always happy to support good friends like you! :) I definitely became fully aware, but in my case unfortunately there are pretty limited ways to make amends. All the same, I’ve been determined for years to be a better person, and I know I’d never do such things again. I don’t excuse myself for things I did, but I do believe coming from an environment of abuse is what made me capable to begin with at that point. It’s never ever right or an excuse to channel that towards someone or something else, though, and I’m glad I’m healthy enough now to be far removed from that.

Thank you so much! I’ll feel a lot better when this month ends I’m sure. Just need one thing to go right early next month and better vibes will be set up. I’m very grateful for your kindness and support here :) the phrase “all good things come to an end” is used a lot, but I do also apply it to bad things as well. We’ve all gone through a lot of stuff, and sometimes the best thing to tell myself is “I’m still here.”
  • edited February 5 Posts: 1,641
    -
    Ludovico wrote: »

Some holidays. But congratulations on your new job.

Thanks @Ludovico, much appreciated. :-bd
    @FoxRox
    If I remember correctly, you celebrate your birthday today. Well, a happy B-day, my friend!
    @DarthDimi
    That’s right! Thank you very much, friend :) I shall, as the kids say, chill out! XP
    Happy Birthday, @FoxRox! How does it feel to still be young? ;)
    Thank you @Dragonpol! For me at this point, “young” is 0-20 years old x) but I am still sub-30, so there’s that! I like to believe my best years are still coming, I’ll just say that :)
    Thank you @Dragonpol! For me at this point, “young” is 0-20 years old x) but I am still sub-30, so there’s that! I like to believe my best years are still coming, I’ll just say that :)

Yes, I probably should have written "How does it feel to be younger than me?" but you're still young. I'll be 40 later on this year. :-S

Yes, I probably should have written "How does it feel to be younger than me?" but you're still young. I'll be 40 later on this year. :-S

All good! Young and old are so subjective, and I also always judge myself harsher than others, so I’d truthfully say I feel old at 26 but don’t consider the age “40” to be objectively “old” x) you’ve still got much greatness left for your life I’m sure ;)

All good! Young and old are so subjective, and I also always judge myself harsher than others, so I’d truthfully say I feel old at 26 but don’t consider the age “40” to be objectively “old” x) you’ve still got much greatness left for your life I’m sure ;)

Yes, that's true. It could always be worse. Age is indeed just a number. Hopefully I'll still have a few posts left in me for a while yet. :)
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Happy birthday, @FoxRox...I am about six minutes late with this. Take it from a Boomer: getting old may be shitty, but it is still a whole lot better than NOT getting old!
    @j_w_pepper Thank you! There are certainly issues that come with age, but I’d never choose to go back!