Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

FoxRox wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Sadly, I have tested positive for COVID-19. Unless there was a past asymptomatic or extremely mild case, this is my first time with it. It already feels awful, but my main stress is coming from the whole leave of absence process with my place of work, which I know could go wrong in several ways. Just have to try my best and hope I’ll have both my health and my job once this is over. Been a really rough start to the year all around unfortunately.

COVID can make one feel absolutely terrible. I hope you'll have a quick recovery, @FoxRox! Hang in there, mate.

Thank you @DarthDimi. It’s a raw deal for sure. Even trying to sleep is a bit hard due to symptoms and stress, but besides a doctor’s visit, resting and drinking water is all I can really do for now.

Get well soon. And for your employers: they should understand. If they don't, sod them.
  • edited January 16 Posts: 12,277
    Sadly, I have tested positive for COVID-19. Unless there was a past asymptomatic or extremely mild case, this is my first time with it. It already feels awful, but my main stress is coming from the whole leave of absence process with my place of work, which I know could go wrong in several ways. Just have to try my best and hope I’ll have both my health and my job once this is over. Been a really rough start to the year all around unfortunately.

COVID can make one feel absolutely terrible. I hope you'll have a quick recovery, @FoxRox! Hang in there, mate.

Thank you @DarthDimi. It’s a raw deal for sure. Even trying to sleep is a bit hard due to symptoms and stress, but besides a doctor’s visit, resting and drinking water is all I can really do for now.

Resting is key. Are you suffering big headaches?

A couple so far, but they haven’t been long-lasting yet. I get a ton of headaches in general too, though, which is unfortunately a hereditary thing I think. Main symptoms so far are a horrible throat, severe congestion, lack of appetite, and general weakness in the body. The biggest tell for me if I’m very sick is the no appetite thing, but of course I also have a positive test too so there is no doubt.

@Dragonpol and @Ludovico, thank you both very much. COVID leave is considered “excused absences” at my place, the issue though is getting all the paperwork through a third-party source to prove everything as it will require an actual doctor and not just my at-home test result. To my understanding, since I already filed a claim, my absences can’t fully be counted against me unless it’s rejected, which might happen initially since I don’t have all the paperwork yet, but I’m going to try to get in touch with my boss(es) today and sort things out. I’m not going into work with COVID!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator

A couple so far, but they haven’t been long-lasting yet. I get a ton of headaches in general too, though, which is unfortunately a hereditary thing I think. Main symptoms so far are a horrible throat, severe congestion, lack of appetite, and general weakness in the body. The biggest tell for me if I’m very sick is the no appetite thing, but of course I also have a positive test too so there is no doubt.

@Dragonpol and @Ludovico, thank you both very much. COVID leave is considered “excused absences” at my place, the issue though is getting all the paperwork through a third-party source to prove everything as it will require an actual doctor and not just my at-home test result. To my understanding, since I already filed a claim, my absences can’t fully be counted against me unless it’s rejected, which might happen initially since I don’t have all the paperwork yet, but I’m going to try to get in touch with my boss(es) today and sort things out. I’m not going into work with COVID!

That's unpleasant. Let's just hope you'll end up just another statistic in the sense that the effects only last, at most, a few days. I also hope that you can find some much-needed distraction in a good television show or something, if you're not too tired, that is.

I recall going through COVID two summers ago. Felt like an elephant was standing on my head. You have my sympathies. Get well soon!

That's unpleasant. Let's just hope you'll end up just another statistic in the sense that the effects only last, at most, a few days. I also hope that you can find some much-needed distraction in a good television show or something, if you're not too tired, that is.

I recall going through COVID two summers ago. Felt like an elephant was standing on my head. You have my sympathies. Get well soon!

I sure hope so! Going to try to mostly sleep and drink, but watching something or reading would be nice if I have the energy. I’m sorry you experienced it too, and I hope you never get it again and everyone else here stays safe as well. I really appreciate the kind words, and I’m thankful to have a support system here :)
    TV series (miniseries?) Devil's Peak is not available in the UK yet. Not on the BBC anyway. In the US yes, in BBC Benelux yes, but not in the "proper" BBC. Arrrrgh!
    Already some bad + good updates: my symptoms are worsening, particularly with headaches and crazy back-and-forth body temperature, but I called my boss and they said the situation won’t be job-threatening and not to worry about that at all at least. The leave of absence process is still needlessly confusing unfortunately, but I trust them because they’ve always been a good boss to me - specifically the one in my department anyway. Better to just have to focus on the disease itself instead of additional bad ramifications.

Whatever happens, anyway, I just want to say a big thank you to everyone here again - everyone who has been kind to me, enjoyed reading my thoughts, or just having fun conversations. I’m sorry if I ever did anything that upset anyone, and I hope I can be forgiven if so. This community has been such a fun, fulfilling piece of my life for so long, and I’m truly grateful for the opportunity to be here!
  • edited January 16 Posts: 5,827
    Has anyone noticed this trend of censoring words that aren't offensive or derogatory but related to controversial or upsetting topics? For example, 'v**lence' or 's*icide'.

Yes, the "Scunthorpe Problem" rises its ugly head once again :

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScunthorpeProblem

My favourite :

My turn : It seems the local supermarket (Leclerc) has decided to stop selling DVDs and Blu-Ray disks. Why do I say that ? Well, for starters, the two shelves dedicated to DVDs are filled with whatever they didn't sell last year, including the sets they put on sale for Christmas, and some fifty Blu-Rays of Venom. And second, they didn't have Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, either on the shelves or on a special display. Doesn't make me too optimistic for the future. I had to go to Paris and buy the Blu-Ray at the FNAC at the Montparnasse station, thus not getting the points I would have had if I had bought it at Leclerc, points I could have redeemed as money with which to buy next Christmas gifts.

As for me, well, as you know, my computer has given up the ghost. It started a week or so ago, when it froze. I brought it to a repari shop nearby, they fixed it. At least, in the shop, it worked. Once I came home, I plugged it, and started it, and it froze again. So I brought it last thursday to the place I bought it from, and now I'm waiting for news. I fear I'll have to change the tower. Let's hope I don't lose my data in the process, there are things on it that would be hard to replace.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Stewart Lee on this phenomenon:

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Already some bad + good updates: my symptoms are worsening, particularly with headaches and crazy back-and-forth body temperature, but I called my boss and they said the situation won’t be job-threatening and not to worry about that at all at least. The leave of absence process is still needlessly confusing unfortunately, but I trust them because they’ve always been a good boss to me - specifically the one in my department anyway. Better to just have to focus on the disease itself instead of additional bad ramifications.

Whatever happens, anyway, I just want to say a big thank you to everyone here again - everyone who has been kind to me, enjoyed reading my thoughts, or just having fun conversations. I’m sorry if I ever did anything that upset anyone, and I hope I can be forgiven if so. This community has been such a fun, fulfilling piece of my life for so long, and I’m truly grateful for the opportunity to be here!

You're a valued member of the boards @FoxRox , and don't worry, you'll get back on your feet. Yes, Covid can be a real hassle and it can feel extremely bad, but most people recover in due time without any lasting damage.

It's good to know it doesn't affect your job though. One thing I'll never understand about the States, is the abysmal job protection. As an employer myself, over here we took it a bit too far, but still, I rather have it our way than the cowboy way.

You're a valued member of the boards @FoxRox , and don't worry, you'll get back on your feet. Yes, Covid can be a real hassle and it can feel extremely bad, but most people recover in due time without any lasting damage.

It's good to know it doesn't affect your job though. One thing I'll never understand about the States, is the abysmal job protection. As an employer myself, over here we took it a bit too far, but still, I rather have it our way than the cowboy way.

That means a lot for me to hear @CommanderRoss - I feel the same about you and am thankful for your support. I am still relatively young at least and don't have other conditions that would worsen it, so it's probably not going to be lethal, but all the same just in case I want everyone here to know how much I appreciate and love them. It's an unfortunate situation, and easily with a less understanding direct supervisor I could have been in trouble, which to me is just ridiculous, of course. Coming into work with COVID would be unethical and wrong to myself and others!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited January 16 Posts: 17,830

Thanks for your kind words too, @FoxRox. You've been a part of our community almost as long as I have and, to me and I know many others, you're one of the good ones. I had Covid-19 myself back in December 2022 though it thankfully presented as pretty mild flu-like symptoms and I was able to work from home at that time. I'm glad you have an understanding boss. It would be very unfair to lose your job for not coming in because you have a contagious virus that has caused a global pandemic! You've certainly never upset me and you are a sane and wise commentator here and we appreciate you as such. Godspeed for a quick recovery.
    @Dragonpol Thank you very much :) I'm glad your case wasn't severe and you were able to work from home. Having an at-home job is my ideal next step, but it also will involve me shifting my career path a bit, which I want to anyway. In any case, yes, I fully agree it's very unfair to have to worry about losing a job over it, but sadly it's just so common in the US. I'm very happy to hear you say so, and I hope to continue to be family with you all for a long time to come :)
    When I moved into my apartment back in 2022, I bought a nice looking wooden frame daybed as one of my "luxury purchases". It wasn't that expensive, but since I had other expenses too, it wasn't a cheap purchase either. Last autumn I noticed several cracks in the wooden frame, which only got worse throughout November and December. I contacted the manufacturer a couple of weeks ago, and they offered a new daybed in return, but in fear of the same thing happening again we agreed I could be delivered a modular sofa instead, which will be delivered tomorrow.

I didn't notice until wrapping the daybed tonight however, that one of the pads beneath one of the daybed's feet had got loose at some point, and has made a very visible crack in the laminate flooring which it has stood on these last couple of years – even though I've had a carpet beneath the daybed. This daybed has really been one horrible purchase…

Speaking of cracks: before moving into this apartment, I had a painter paint the kitchen, hallway and living room. In the living room the painter also skim coated all the living room walls, since the original wall surface needed some work. Over time however, very noticeable cracks in the skim coat has appeared on all walls, along the roof and joints. I've made a complaint, and the painter has offered to have a look at it, but I'm wondering if I'm better off having another (and more professional) painter have a look at the walls instead, and pay to have the walls redone.

I also need to change a few windows in the apartment, so 2024 might end up being a very expensive year…
    @FoxRox
    How are you doing, friend? I hope you are feeling better. If not, please hang in there. I know it's not easy dealing with COVID-19, but you'll pull through, I'm sure. Take good care. I need you back here discussing Bond with all your strength.
    @DarthDimi
    Heya, thanks for checking in! I got another good news-bad news update - my sense of smell is fully obliterated after being merely dulled yesterday, but I have had a much better appetite at least, so it’s felt nice to eat a bit again. A friend I have said he started feeling a lot better on the third full day of having it, which would be tomorrow for me, although I know different strains can do different things, and his happened a lot longer ago. I have a virtual doctor visit set up for tomorrow morning, and should be getting medicine and paperwork done so I’m closer to feeling better and returning to work! I’m optimistic my case won’t be too severe, especially since I haven’t had a true fever temperature yet. Thanks again for reaching out and the nice words - you are awesome :D
    @DarthDimi
    Heya, thanks for checking in! I got another good news-bad news update - my sense of smell is fully obliterated after being merely dulled yesterday, but I have had a much better appetite at least, so it’s felt nice to eat a bit again. A friend I have said he started feeling a lot better on the third full day of having it, which would be tomorrow for me, although I know different strains can do different things, and his happened a lot longer ago. I have a virtual doctor visit set up for tomorrow morning, and should be getting medicine and paperwork done so I’m closer to feeling better and returning to work! I’m optimistic my case won’t be too severe, especially since I haven’t had a true fever temperature yet. Thanks again for reaching out and the nice words - you are awesome :D

Just promise not to return too soon. At least not until you're feeling a whole lot better!

And one thing I love about our little community is that we care about one another.
    @DarthDimi

Just promise not to return too soon. At least not until you're feeling a whole lot better!

And one thing I love about our little community is that we care about one another.

Yes :) in 007 we are united!

I got to see my doctor, who happily accepted the paperwork I need to have filled out and agreed I should stay out until next Monday unless the symptoms linger and I need more time. The good news is that based on what I told them, tomorrow should be my last day of full isolation, and I can use a mask after that. I'm lucky to have a cool primary care physician! I will continue to rest up and improve. The soreness in my throat is going down, and my appetite is going a little up, although my smell is still totally gone. I'm hopeful tomorrow will be especially better!
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Hope so, FoxRox. I got it last October - was crocked for a week and washed out and easily tired for a couple of weeks after that. That was a bit annoying, tbh, because you'd be ok one minute and then have to just flake out the next. Felt better and better every few days after awhile, though, and sense of smell gradually came back over that same time, too, no worries. Hope your recovery's as straightforward as mine was, mate.
    Thank you @Venutius! I'm glad you made it through, but it does sound like from you and others I will have to expect some lingering tiredness or other things beyond the peak. I hope to be back in action before too long and am staying optimistic.
    @DarthDimi

Yes :) in 007 we are united!

I got to see my doctor, who happily accepted the paperwork I need to have filled out and agreed I should stay out until next Monday unless the symptoms linger and I need more time. The good news is that based on what I told them, tomorrow should be my last day of full isolation, and I can use a mask after that. I'm lucky to have a cool primary care physician! I will continue to rest up and improve. The soreness in my throat is going down, and my appetite is going a little up, although my smell is still totally gone. I'm hopeful tomorrow will be especially better!

@FoxRox
    You won't believe this. The wife brought a bug home early this week and now I've got it too. No COVID, though, so my discomfort is hardly comparable to yours, but right now I'm fighting a soar throat that also gives me the feeling that I can't breathe. I'm coughing up these hideous slimes like I'm in a Cronenberg film. I hate this! Again, though, not even remotely as annoying as your inconveniences. ;-)
    @DarthDimi
    Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that! It doesn't have to be COVID to still be taken seriously. I hope whatever you have is going to be gone very fast and not give you too many issues; it's especially annoying when it affects your work and social situations. The job I'm in is hardly my dream job, but it still feels wrong not working for so long to me, especially since I'm losing money, but also just to be productive, and I also miss hanging out with people. We'll both pull through though ;)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    https://flucamp.com/blog/new-study-suggests-that-sea-salt-could-help-beat-the-common-cold/#:~:text=New research from The University,a cold by two days

This saved me; I was going down hard with cold-influenza and infections of sinuses and upper respiratory.

Two and a half days in, I was desperate as I was going down further with a prickly fever that turned into a clammy-ice cold body.

I ate pinches of coarse sea salt- two pinches with water, every thirty minutes or so.

I did this every waking hour.

Three hours in, my wife said my color returned to my face, the pain in my head was lifted, the mucous coming out of my eyes cleared and most of my body aches diminished. Twenty four hours later I was even better, but continued taking pinches of salt throughout the day.

The following day I was operational and my body has just been (disgustingly) cleaning the grossness out of me via nose, and some “minor” hacking.

Try sea salt therapy. Eat little pinches of it. Swallow, then wash down further with water.

peter wrote: »
    https://flucamp.com/blog/new-study-suggests-that-sea-salt-could-help-beat-the-common-cold/#:~:text=New research from The University,a cold by two days

This saved me; I was going down hard with cold-influenza and infections of sinuses and upper respiratory.

Two and a half days in, I was desperate as I was going down further with a prickly fever that turned into a clammy-ice cold body.

I ate pinches of coarse sea salt- two pinches with water, every thirty minutes or so.

I did this every waking hour.

Three hours in, my wife said my color returned to my face, the pain in my head was lifted, the mucous coming out of my eyes cleared and most of my body aches diminished. Twenty four hours later I was even better, but continued taking pinches of salt throughout the day.

The following day I was operational and my body has just been (disgustingly) cleaning the grossness out of me via nose, and some “minor” hacking.

Try sea salt therapy. Eat little pinches of it. Swallow, then wash down further with water.

Thanks for the suggestion, @peter. Eating salt 'just like that' is a very dangerous thing to do, so the pinches would have to be very modest in size. ;-)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    They definitely were, @DarthDimi ... Read the study as well. Very interesting and I can't deny the results.

If one were to have high blood pressure I wouldn't recommend, but think about how much sea salt you put on your steak for one meal.

So these were literally a pinch of coarse sea salt, ground down with my teeth, swallowed with a chaser of water.

They definitely were, @DarthDimi ... Read the study as well. Very interesting and I can't deny the results.

If one were to have high blood pressure I wouldn't recommend, but think about how much sea salt you put on your steak for one meal.

So these were literally a pinch of coarse sea salt, ground down with my teeth, swallowed with a chaser of water.

I'm certainly desperate enough to try anything. 😷
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

About three years ago, a world famous virologist (or so he seemed) suggested that injecting bleach and bringing some "tremendous" light into the body, "through the skin or in some other way", would work against Covid. Perhaps it also helps against your kind of infection as well?

OK, I guess you're not THAT desperate... Get well soon, all of you!
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

About three years ago, a world famous virologist (or so he seemed) suggested that injecting bleach and bringing some "tremendous" light into the body, "through the skin or in some other way", would work against Covid. Perhaps it also helps against your kind of infection as well?

OK, I guess you're not THAT desperate... Get well soon, all of you!

Haha, no, I'm not that desperate. The person you're talking about doesn't strike me as a very trustworthy bloke. 😉

Thank you, @j_w_pepper!
  • edited January 21 Posts: 12,277
    @DarthDimi

I hope you are feeling better! :) Do report back when you can!
    @DarthDimi

I hope you are feeling better! :) Do report back when you can!

Hi, @FoxRox. I am feeling better today; I'll be back at work even. But the past four days were terrible. Truth is, I've never been able to take a cold very well. My nose constantly leaking, buckets of water flowing from my eyes, unable to breathe while trying to sleep at night... A "common" cold is hellish pain and suffering for me. Some people call it a minor nuisance; I call it punishment. All day long, I'm taking aspirin, lidocaine pills, nose sprays and caffeine, just to stay on my feet. Honestly, I think I'd rather have explosive diarrhea than a cold. ;-) I suffered through COVID in the Summer of 2022; even that episode felt less bad than this.

But, things are improving. I'll still be making some nasal sounds today, but the worst seems over.

Anyway, thanks, @FoxRox, for checking on me. How are you, friend?
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Yes, same, I hate getting a cold. I never seem to get 'a bit of a sniffle' - if I get a cold, it's always an evil, uber swine of a cold that takes about three weeks to shake off fully! Luckily, I don't get them often but when I do...grrrr...