Godzilla

Comments

• DwayneDwayne New York City
    A good summary of GODZILLA: MINUS ONE's underlying themes and filming.

• MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Big Action Bill's channel is tremendous for Godzilla fans. His Minus One musings in the video above are solid, but his history of series on all the Godzilla fans are a must for anyone old or new to G.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Dwayne wrote: »
    As for a sequel @talos7, Toho has already announced that they will only proceed with a new film if a worthy script is developed - along with having a director and cast being in place. In short, they plan to take their time and do it right.

A sequel where the U.S. is distracted by the Korean War when Godzilla returns could be a simple starting-off point that maintains some of the narrative of Minus One.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    GODZILLA X KONG THE NEW EMPIRE "Wrath Of Godzilla In The Colosseum" Trailer (NEW 202
    The US release of GODZILLA x KONG has been moved up a few weeks. It is now March 29th.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/godzilla-x-kong-moves-up-release-theaters-mickey-17-delayed-1235783720/
    It appears that the US theatrical run of GODZILLA: MINUS ONE is winding down. As of today (January 15th) I don't see any screenings after January 17th here in New York - although I hope some will be added later. Interestingly, the twitter emoji for the film is also scheduled to conclude this week.

And while the film lost out during the Critics Choice Awards, it continues to win in the polls of regional film critics. Is there an Oscar Nomination for VFX in the near future? Well, the film has been short-listed by the Academy, so I'll keep my fingers crossed!
    Good news from France : Due to the success of the (very) limited release of Godzilla minus One here, the distributors have decided to get the big G a more general release, with two weeks, more theaters (including one nearby) and more showings. Let's hope this'll work.

Less good news : I tried to see if there were some french DVD releases of the old Godzilla movies. Well, there have been. But the DVD sets are so rare that the prices are through the roof. This set :

1020154843.jpg

goes to 786 €. Yikes ! A price the size of the star, I say.
    edited January 17 Posts: 2,625
    As for my earlier post about GODZILLA:MINUS ONE's US run winding down.....
    PHaeRFQ.gif

It appears to have been extended in some place through the end of January. And wait, there is additional good news; it seems that the B&W version will receive a limited release as well. The extension makes a great deal of sense given that the film is on the short list for a VFX nomination - and the final OSCAR nominations won't be announced until January 23rd (with voting due by early February (?)).

I feel your pain @Gerard. Even in the US some of the titles are hard to find and demand relatively high prices on the secondary market. Notably a region-free 4K version of GOJIRA has been released - but there are no English subtitles.

In the old days (pre-2004), I actually purchased the region 2 DVDs for some of my favorite titles from Japan (w/o subtitles) and used a region code "hack" for my DVD player. Some fan sites actually had script files for the subtitles that you could download and play on your PC! The chief incentive for me, was the chance to see some of the DVD bonus features that were not found on the US releases (for copy write reasons IIRC).
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    Unbelievable what you can get now. Back in the '90s I had to comb the vendor booths at the monthly comic book conventions held at LA's Shrine Auditorium to find poorly subtitled, poorly transferred versions of the Heisei films (only the first entry and BIOLANTE had been released in the US). Growing up in the '60s and '70s, I thought I knew all about Godzilla. But stumbling upon those new films (pre-internet) was quite exciting, I hadn't known that they even existed.
    edited January 17 Posts: 2,625
    The official promotional artwork by Toho for the US release of GODZILLA:MINUS ONE/C.

Godzilla-Minus-One-Minus-Color-Poster-Publicity-H-2024.jpg?w=1296&h=730&crop=1

I could do with a framed poster of this. I really like it.
    edited January 17 Posts: 2,161
    I'm up for a second viewing in the theatre. My only complaint was that some of the points made in the closing moral summation were certainly of our time and not of Japan in the '50s. I had a similar issue with OPPENHEIMER, which I also greatly enjoyed overall.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I'm up for a second viewing in the theatre. My only complaint was that some of the points made in the closing moral summation were certainly of our time and not of Japan in the '50s. I had a similar issue with OPPENHEIMER, which I also greatly enjoyed overall.

I find injecting modern, current day , sensibilities into period pieces, in countless forms, to be a common issue. I get the feeling that writers feel it necessary in order for viewers to relate. Ultimately that underestimates the audience.
    I agree fully.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    @MooseWithFleas , no confusion on my part. I love the one that’s all a kids fantasy, whatever the title.

You may find this children's book interesting! :D
    81dtReWUdVL._SY342_.jpg

Minilla and his friends are having a great day on Monster Island, when suddenly Gabara comes in and ruins their fun! Minilla knows it's hard to stand up to others, but with a little help from Godzilla, he and his friends will learn the importance of working together and never giving up!

According to the Amazon.com (US) listing, it will be available in June, 2024. Godzilla is certainly a monster for all seasons!
    I think I saw that kid's life (GODZILLA'S REVENGE) in mine when I was young. It's always been a favorite.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Definitely getting that for my little 5 year old who's Godzilla obsessed right now!
    The US theatrical run for GODZILLA MINUS ONE is over. GODZILLA x KONG: THE NEW EMPIRE will have some big shoes (?) to fill.

At some point, I plan on doing a second review of the film since, like SKYFALL (I know, I know :D ), it hit all the right notes for me as a long time fan.
    edited February 3 Posts: 2,161
    As far as the US (Legendary/Monarch) films go, I just fast forward to the monster battles. I find the human characters and stories (across all of the films) to be typical 21st American franchise, cringe inducing garbage. I won't see them in the theatre.

The monsters do look great. At least the adaptations of the Toho monsters do. Any of their original Kaiju (or monsters, I find the term "Titans" to be lame) made for these new movies have yet to grab me.
    For those (like me) who are going through GODZILLA MINUS ONE withdrawal pains this weekend! :))

Have to say, I am really enjoying the Monsterverse! :-bd
    edited February 9 Posts: 2,625
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Have to say, I am really enjoying the Monsterverse! :-bd

While they are (almost certainly) very different films in both tone and spectacle, it will be interesting to gauge fan response to GODZILLA x KONG: THE NEW EMPIRE, given the raves that GODZILLA: MINUS ONE received.

Naturally NEW EMPIRE will do much better box office than the latest Toho entry, but will fans – seeing how MINUS ONE was such a critical darling – hold that against the Monsterverse? IMO, loving one doesn’t exclude having a soft spot for the other, but we will see.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire’s ‘Buddy-Cop’ Dynamic Is Inspired By Lethal Weapon – Exclusive Image
    https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/godzilla-x-kong-new-empire-buddy-cop-dynamic-lethal-weapon-exclusive/

godzilla-x-kong-exclusive.png?ar=16%3A9&fit=crop&crop=top&auto=format&w=768&q=80
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I am a longtime Godzilla . I have to say that while I basically like the , ever evolving, Monsterverse design , I find how tiny they have made his head, in relation to the body, to be ridiculous. I refer to this Godzilla as
    “ Pinhead “ Godzilla.
    Looking at the incredible model design in Minus One (I have still not watched the movie), the Hollywood Godzilla certainly in the upcoming film is nowhere near as good.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    talos7 wrote: »
    I am a longtime Godzilla . I have to say that while I basically like the , ever evolving, Monsterverse design , I find how tiny they have made his head, in relation to the body, to be ridiculous. I refer to this Godzilla as
    “ Pinhead “ Godzilla.

We reach, brother.
    I go back and forth on the smaller head thing.
    FYI,

How the 'Godzilla Minus One' VFX Team Took the Titan to Terrifying New Heights (Exclusive)
    https://aframe.oscars.org/news/post/godzilla-minus-one-visual-effects-interview

GODZILLA MINUS ONE GAINS GLOBAL RECOGNITION
    https://www.vfxvoice.com/godzilla-minus-one-gains-global-recognition/

... and Takashi Yamazaki (and his team) at the Oscar nominees luncheon.

Personally I'd prefer this as a one-off. Like with Shin Godzilla, I'd love to see Toho continue with unique stand-alone projects.