Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Purple Noon (1960);

This one has always been on my watchlist for quite some time, and I must say I was not disappointed. This was also my first “foreign language” film, and what a way to start! Alain Delon plays Tom Ripley as a swaggering/cool con-man, which on the surface seems quite different from the version Matt Damon would bring to the screen in 1999. I love the score by Nino Rota of ‘Godfather’ fame, and some of the visuals in this film are absolutely striking. Next I plan on watching Denis Hopper’s turn as Ripley in ‘The American Friend’ so I’ll post my thoughts on here afterwards!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Purple Noon (1960);

This one has always been on my watchlist for quite some time, and I must say I was not disappointed. This was also my first “foreign language” film, and what a way to start! Alain Delon plays Tom Ripley as a swaggering/cool con-man, which on the surface seems quite different from the version Matt Damon would bring to the screen in 1999. I love the score by Nino Rota of ‘Godfather’ fame, and some of the visuals in this film are absolutely striking. Next I plan on watching Denis Hopper’s turn as Ripley in ‘The American Friend’ so I’ll post my thoughts on here afterwards!

Never too late to start somewhere! Now that you've taken the plunge into international-type fare (or whatever you'd classify it as in your respective country), there's a gold mine of films awaiting you.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    Purple Noon (1960);

Never too late to start somewhere! Now that you've taken the plunge into international-type fare (or whatever you'd classify it as in your respective country), there's a gold mine of films awaiting you.

That’s what I’m looking forward too! I’m especially interested in seeing more “French New Wave” films considering my favorite era of Hollywood is the “New Hollywood”, so it’ll be interesting for me to discover the influences on some of my favorite films of all time!
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Purple Noon (1960);

Agreed. I would really like to devote 2024 to exploring "foreign" film Noir. For example, Alain Delon was in the classic "Le Samouraï."
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Purple Noon (1960);

That’s what I’m looking forward too! I’m especially interested in seeing more “French New Wave” films considering my favorite era of Hollywood is the “New Hollywood”, so it’ll be interesting for me to discover the influences on some of my favorite films of all time!

That's a great starting point! So many classics there. You're in for a real treat.
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    edited January 12 Posts: 735
    Purple Noon (1960);

Oh, yeah, Purple Noon is great ...

But Ripley's Game, from 2002, with John Malkovich, a lesser known one, is well worth seeing too ... The American Friend is really interesting, but also the furthest among the Ripley adaptations from the original source material, ie. It's more Wenders than Highsmith.

Love, love, love Alain Delon, who would go on to play a lot of silent type, tough-guy criminal roles. Le Samourai is indeed a great one, and highly influential, from Ghost Dog to the recent Fincher movie. But watch anything from its director Jean Pierre Melville, including his heist movie from 1970, Le Cercle Rouge, also with Delon. Melville was from an older generation but shared with the New Wave filmmakers a love of American Cinema, and they loved him for it. Melville even had a bit part in Breathless, playing himself. He's inarguably the greatest-ever director of crime films, whose cool, tonal professionalism had a big influence over people like Micheal Mann .... and probably, too, his Bob le Flambeur was an influence on the style of the early Bonds.

Another good Delon crime film from the period is The Sicilian Clan; but I'd also heartily recommend non-crime films like Monsieur Klein, especially, as well as Rocco and His Brothers and The Leopard, although the latter two are really auteurist ensemble works.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Feyador wrote: »
    Purple Noon (1960);

Oh, yeah, Purple Noon is great ...

But Ripley's Game, from 2002, with John Malkovich, a lesser known one, is well worth seeing too ... The American Friend is really interesting, but also the furthest among the Ripley adaptations from the original source material, ie. It's more Wenders than Highsmith.

Love, love, love Alain Delon, who would go on to play a lot of silent type, tough-guy criminal roles. Le Samourai is indeed a great one, and highly influential, from Ghost Dog to the recent Fincher movie. But watch anything from its director Jean Pierre Melville, including his heist movie from 1970, Le Cercle Rouge, also with Delon. Melville was from an older generation but shared with the New Wave filmmakers a love of American Cinema, and they loved him for it. Melville even had a bit part in Breathless, playing himself. He's inarguably the greatest-ever director of crime films, whose cool, tonal professionalism had a big influence over people like Micheal Mann .... and probably, too, his Bob le Flambeur was an influence on the style of the early Bonds.

Another good Delon crime film from the period is The Sicilian Clan; but I'd also heartily recommend non-crime films like Monsieur Klein, especially, as well as Rocco and His Brothers and The Leopard, although the latter two are really auteurist ensemble works.

Excellent reccomendations. And great to hear someone else starting ghe magical journey of European cinema @007ClassicBondFan!
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Lift (Netflix)

Basically a big budget version of Money Plane, and this doesnt have Kesley Grammar hamming it up to the heavens…..

Still, glossy throwaway fun.
  • Thank you both @Feyador for the recommendations, and @GoldenGun! It’s going to be a magical journey for me indeed!
    Poor Things (2023)
    Just home from a screening! Bonkers is a word that has been used by a lot of reviewers, and I would concur! But I really enjoyed the whole bizarre exercise! Visually superb ( though a little too much fish eye lense!) Yorgos Lanthimos has delivered a wild, exhilarating version of the Bride of Frankenstein story! Emma Stone is superb in the lead role of Bella Baxter! It wont be for everyone, as are most of this Directors work, but I always welcome something different, and this is certainly that! Apart from the stunning production design, a word too for Jerskin Fendrixs ( what a name!) music!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Poor Things (2023)
    Just home from a screening! Bonkers is a word that has been used by a lot of reviewers, and I would concur! But I really enjoyed the whole bizarre exercise! Visually superb ( though a little too much fish eye lense!) Yorgos Lanthimos has delivered a wild, exhilarating version of the Bride of Frankenstein story! Emma Stone is superb in the lead role of Bella Baxter! It wont be for everyone, as are most of this Directors work, but I always welcome something different, and this is certainly that! Apart from the stunning production design, a word too for Jerskin Fendrixs ( what a name!) music!

I saw it today as well and really enjoyed it. Two nit picks though…
    I thought it was 20 mins too long, and I was underwhelmed by the ending. Bella is told how she came to be and sorta just accepts it. I was expecting the film to address that more than it did. I also expected her to put Godwin into the body of her awful husband, though I suppose it is good that didnt happen, it gave him a proper send off.
    I really wanted to see Poor Things, but no theaters near me were playing it unfortunately. I did finally return to watching Brian de Palma films today with Sisters (1972). The Hitchcock influence is strong as ever, but de Palma still employs tricks of his own that make it distinctly his. Margot Kidder was fantastic as Danielle / Dominique; all the other actors did wonderfully as well, but she truly was the star of this one IMO. The soundtrack by Bernard Herrmann was a total classic as well. The climax was beautifully chaotic. I definitely consider myself a fan of this one!
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I really wanted to see Poor Things, but no theaters near me were playing it unfortunately. I did finally return to watching Brian de Palma films today with Sisters (1972). The Hitchcock influence is strong as ever, but de Palma still employs tricks of his own that make it distinctly his. Margot Kidder was fantastic as Danielle / Dominique; all the other actors did wonderfully as well, but she truly was the star of this one IMO. The soundtrack by Bernard Herrmann was a total classic as well. The climax was beautifully chaotic. I definitely consider myself a fan of this one!

I rewatched several De Palmas in the last year, among them Body Double & Blow Out

Great stuff, I missed a recent rep screening of Sisters, but did rewatch several De Palmas in the last year.

Always enjoyable, especially the crazed, OTT 'Body Double,' but 'Blow Out' is maybe my favouite, appealing to a penchant for dark conspiracy thrillers.

Haven't seen it for years, but Casualties of War I recall as very good, lesser known De Palma film.
  • edited January 17 Posts: 12,269
    @Feyador Nice! Blow Out is definitely a contender for his very best still. I like Body Double as well, although most of the other ones I've seen so far I'd rank above, which is just a testament to how many good films he's done. I just finished my night with Dressed to Kill (1980), another classic filled with tension and great performances. I did have interest in Casualties of War as well; that one, along with Carlito's Way, are two I definitely need to see at least.
    @Feyador Nice! Blow Out is definitely a contender for his very best still. I like Body Double as well, although most of the other ones I've seen so far I'd rank above, which is just a testament to how many good films he's done. I just finished my night with Dressed to Kill (1980), another classic filled with tension and great performances. I did have interest in Casualties of War as well; that one, along with Carlito's Way, are two I definitely need to see at least.

I just bought 'Carlitos Way' on 4k at Christmas. Excellent thriller, well worth a look ( if only to marvel at Sean Penns hairstyle 😀)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, and Name of the Rose (what a movie star Connery was... Cripes he's so effortless)....

I just bought 'Carlitos Way' on 4k at Christmas. Excellent thriller, well worth a look ( if only to marvel at Sean Penns hairstyle 😀)

Just watched Carlito's Way (1993). It was really depressing, but another great film from de Palma; exploring his classics has been delightful! Pacino was perfect - one of my personal favorite performances I've seen from him so far - but everyone else did a great job as well. Very tragic but engaging.
  • edited January 18 Posts: 5,809
    Yesterday, I decided to put Count Yorga, Vampire in my Blu-Ray player. Not bad, but I prefer Blacula. And one other thing : poor kitten.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Return of Bulldog Drummond (1934)
    Adapted from The Black Gang, Ralph Richardson steps up to have a go at playing Drummond. Rather than copy the suave urbane gentleman of Ronald Colman's Drummond, Richardson plays Drummond as sly and spirited, more of a pugilist. He throws the caretaker off the balcony, then dispatches of 3 more of Peterson's men out in the woods. This Drummond is quite handy with his fists. Though I did find Drummonds 'Black Clan' costume looked a little comical, I think it's the hat/goggles.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Talking of De Palma I attempted to watch Hi, Mom! last night it was on TV, De Palma and De Niro made some odd films together in the early days. What is obvious even with Hi, Mom! is De Palma's skill with the camera. Whenever i watch this film it just does not hold my attention until the end.
    Another De Palma classic tonight watched, this time Obsession (1976). While the Vertigo influence is strong in this one, it still is very much its own picture with a wildly twisted plot twist I didn't see coming! John Lithgow was especially delightful in his role. I've highly enjoyed just about every de Palma film I've seen!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I seem to have started the new year with my feet mostly stuck in the 90s.

Prelude to a Kiss
    Contact
    Cabin Boy
    Bringing Out the Dead
    The Outlaw Josey Wales
    The Rookie (1990)
    Blood Work (rewatch)

The Rookie is so much crazy fun! Reminds me of Tango & Cash which I feel like rewatching. I also really missed watching Blood Work, I love that movie.
    edited January 19 Posts: 2,057
    The End We Start From

A small indie film about life after a major devastating flood in the UK and a mother trying to protect her newborn child. Does a lot with very little. Jodie Comer is on excellent form as is Joel Fry as her partner. Small cameos from Mark Strong and Benedict Cumberbatch too. Go for the performances and solid direction.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Star Trek Into Darkness despite its obvious problems for the most part I enjoy this, i am probably on my own.

Return of the King The first time I have watched this in 4K, simply one of the greatest home cinema experiences I have ever had.

I am not sure a film like this will ever get made again, what Peter Jackson accomplished with the LOTR trilogy is truly astonishing.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I missed Ford vs Ferrari when it was released and only got to it last night. Briliant storytelling with two compelling leads and a bit of motor-history I knew nothing about. Beautifully shot, the racing scenes were immersive. I was engaged from the first scene to the last...
    peter wrote: »
    I missed Ford vs Ferrari when it was released and only got to it last night. Briliant storytelling with two compelling leads and a bit of motor-history I knew nothing about. Beautifully shot, the racing scenes were immersive. I was engaged from the first scene to the last...

Totally agree! I dont go to the cinema as often as I used to, but I regret not seeing it on the big screen! Great cast and story, and the racing scenes are superb!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »

Totally agree! I dont go to the cinema as often as I used to, but I regret not seeing it on the big screen! Great cast and story, and the racing scenes are superb!

💯 @Mathis1 … I looked up news on the filming and according to reports, and the director himself, there was no CG trickery with the driving (the stadium crowds were SFX), which makes it even more impressive. Many of those sequences really left my heart pounding.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Bulldog Drummond At Bay (1937)
    John Lodge makes for a bland Drummond, and this film felt like a slog to get through.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Killers of the Flower Moon... Three and a half hours of hypnotic filmmaking. Unbelievable real life story, picture perfect direction, performances that fill the screen, especially Lily Gladstone. Such a rich and beautifully layered film that depicts how evil absolute greed is.

My god, pick any one scene, and it's better than than anything that Oscar front winner, Oppenheimer has, in its entirety.

My prediction: the Academy knows that Scorsese's exquisite meditation is far and away the better film of anything that will be nominated, but they'll be rewarding Oppenheimer the big trophies because it, along with Barbie, really did save another dismal year at the box office.

So I see Flowers winning technical achievements like Production Design (art direction), costumes, cinematography, and they have to, have to, give Best Actress to Gladstone (although I'm in fear that her quietly powerful performance will lose out to the more bombastic Emma Stone).

I still hold out hope that Scorsese plays spoiler and wins best director, but I don't see it happening- although it would be the correct choice.

In the end, these award ceremonies usually come down to a well funded political/popularity contest, but as is almost universally noted: the better films that don't get rewarded will stand the test of time compared to those that did win (to use Scorsese as an example, hello Goodfellas, goodbye Dances With Wolves, or hello Raging Bull, goodbye Ordinary People...)...

• edited January 21 Posts: 12,269
    I haven’t seen Killers of the Flower Moon or Oppenheimer yet, but I want to see both. I expect to enjoy the former more, though, simply because Scorsese is way better than Nolan for me. Regarding the Academy, it’s like I always say: Kubrick never winning one Best Director or not having a Best Picture is all the proof I need to not take it too seriously.