Connery vs. Moore

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Getafix wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Check out 2:45 onwards. Even people in 1999 thought Brosnan 'had made it his own':

The titles suggested for the next film are just as bad as Die Another Day! :))

If 'making it your own' means trashing 30 years of heritage and turning in consistently bland and cringeworthy performances then he had it nailed from day one. ;)

Roger beat him to it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I just saw pics of Sir Rog as Cannes in 1989.... and extraordinarly, he looks younger in '89 than he did in AVTAK !! So it seems Rog could have continued on as Bond after AVTAK, and he'd have looked better !!
    Hands up who would of wanted to see Roger Moore over Timothy Dalton in The Living Daylights.........

I have seen him on set with Brosnan in '95 and actually he didn't look too bad, looked younger with the beard, but in all seriousness there was little chance he could of feasibly carried on after 1985, the man had already embarrassed himself to an extent before that in his later years as 007 I'm afraid. 1981 was ideally the time to quit from the role
    Hands up who would of wanted to see Roger Moore over Timothy Dalton in The Living Daylights.........

I have seen him on set with Brosnan in '95 and actually he didn't look too bad, looked younger with the beard, but in all seriousness there was little chance he could of feasibly carried on after 1985, the man had already embarrassed himself to an extent before that in his later years as 007 I'm afraid. 1981 was ideally the time to quit from the role

As big as a Roger supporter that I am, I think that 1985 was the right time to exit. At least this way, if his age failed him on TLD, he wouldn't get ripped as badly as he does. Now I think it's unfair that he gets ripped over his age in AVTAK, because the point is irrelevant. He still delivered an A+ performance in 1985, so there's no reason to criticize his age since he did so well anyway. Let's say things were worse for him in 1987. At that juncture, there'd be too much criticism for ol' Roger. Besides, we might have missed out on Timothy Dalton, and that would have been a shame as much as not seeing Roger one more time.
    The point is relevant Beast, as with a younger actor is wouldn't have been such a bad release. Moore was clearly inappropriate for the part of James Bond by 1985 as it shows in the release, and weighs it down. He is one main factor why I hold it in such distaste, I just couldn't take it seriously with Mr Moore at the age he was, even though we did tend to see more of his stunt double than the actor himself. Another guy in the role would of been so much better, and raised the overall release a little higher
    The point is relevant Beast, as with a younger actor is wouldn't have been such a bad release. Moore was clearly inappropriate for the part of James Bond by 1985 as it shows in the release, and weighs it down. He is one main factor why I hold it in such distaste, I just couldn't take it seriously with Mr Moore at the age he was, even though we did tend to see more of his stunt double than the actor himself. Another guy in the role would of been so much better, and raised the overall release a little higher

See, this is where I disagree. Except for the moments where it was obvious that a stunt double had taken over, I was always 100% convinced that Roger was still 007 in 1985 with AVTAK. Whether it was taking on a Russain helicopter with a flare in Siberia or duking it out with Max Zorin atop the Golden Gate Bridge, I never doubted the 007ness in Roger.
    Moore IS James Bond, there can be no dispute, or was, would be better, but he did himself no favors that year. I'll always insist it was an overall embarrassment, after some fine work in the previous years, and that finale on the Golden Gate Bridge, is the pinnacle of cringeworthy, it got worse with the subsequent end and shower scene with Roberts. Sorry, but I can never change that opinion. Moore wasn't too bad a 007 and it's a shame he had to depart the series on such a silly and embarrassing note
    Moore IS James Bond, there can be no dispute, or was, would be better, but he did himself no favors that year. I'll always insist it was an overall embarrassment, after some fine work in the previous years, and that finale on the Golden Gate Bridge, is the pinnacle of cringeworthy, it got worse with the subsequent end and shower scene with Roberts. Sorry, but I can never change that opinion. Moore wasn't too bad a 007 and it's a shame he had to depart the series on such a silly and embarrassing note

Silly and embarrasing? Definitely not trying to shoot you down or criticize you for your opinion on this one, but I for one thought he did much better with AVTAK than he did for Moonraker, which in my opinion is easily his cheesiest performance and worst of the seven. Scenes in AVTAK like when he's realized Tibbett is dead and lets Zorin have it for it, or when he witnesses May Day's heroic sacrifice, or when he confronts Zorin at San Francisco City Hall, or when he takes out Zorin's goons at Stacey's house all scream pure 007 in my eyes.
    Yes, I can give him that, there are certain qualities evident. But my main bone of contention for Moore that year, was some of the silly action sequences, especially near the end, hanging on to the rope of the Zorin airship, while building antenna' plays havoc with his Bond jewels, and silly nonsense on the Bridge at the end, it was damn silly, I am sorry

There were Bond like qualities on display, but very few and far between, it was too much childish humor some of the time. I realize it is one of your favorite releases, and respect that, but I can never hold it in such high regard. Moore's Bond was dead in the water for me after 1981
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I love AVTAK, and regard it as one of my favorite of Moore's films. It's leagues upon leagues better than MR.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I love AVTAK, and regard it as one of my favorite of Moore's films. It's leagues upon leagues better than MR.

Thank goodness someone else thinks so! I thought I was in the vast minority here with my love for AVTAK!
    DaltonCraig would concur also that Moonraker is far above A View to a Kill for Roger Moore fun and entertainment, I can actually watch it from start to finish and never get bored or disappointed, the music scores are a big help also. AVTAK is one to forget for me, but it's all about opinions after all
    DaltonCraig would concur also that Moonraker is far above A View to a Kill for Roger Moore fun and entertainment, I can actually watch it from start to finish and never get bored or disappointed, the music scores are a big help also. AVTAK is one to forget for me, but it's all about opinions after all

Good for him; that is his opinion, as well.
    AVTAK should've been rewritten and should've starred Dalton, that's my view of it.

Moore was a great Bond, but I think he should've gone out on OP, which is a top 10 Bond film for me. AVTAK, he just seems too old whenever there's any action involved. In the scenes inbetween, he's still got it and you still believe he's 007, but whenever any kind of action is involved, it pulls you out of the film. All imo.
  • Sean Connery all the way!
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    DN > LALD
    FRWL > TMWTGG
    GF > TSWLM
    TB > MR
    FYEO > YOLT
    OP > DAF
    AVTAK > NSNA

Connery 4 Moore 3
  • I'm rewatching the Bonds so this could change soon, but anyway.

LALD>>DN
    FRWL>>TWMTGG
    TSWLM>>GF
    TB>>MR
    YOLT>>FYEO
    OP>>DAF
    NSNA>>AVTAK

Based on that, Connery wins for me movie wise, but I like both their Bonds equally.

1) Dalton
    2) Brosnan
    3) Connery/Moore (tie)
    4) Craig
    5) Lazenby
  • oo7oo7
    battle-of-the-bonds-james-007%2Btime%2Bout%2Bmagazine%2Bcover.jpg
    Nice pic.

Sean and Rog are the dons. Dalton and to some extent Craig are the pretenders. Laz a wayward son and Brozza the idiot nephew no one wants to talk about.
    That's a great pic. Haven't seen it until now.

@Getafix, you know you love Brosnan as much as I do.
  • Connery was the better Bond it goes without saying, although Moore did have his moments, but too much emphasis on humor really was his undoing in the end
    Connery was the better Bond it goes without saying, although Moore did have his moments, but too much emphasis on humor really was his undoing in the end

I would have loved to seen Rog in more consistently serious movie. FYEO is not bad though.

• LicencedToKilt69007LicencedToKilt69007 Belgium, Wallonia
    Wonderful pic!

I wouldn't choose. Both were excellents. Roger quite irregular. Sean brought the character to life, Roger completed it, thanks to his own personallity. But both, they're the "classical Bonds" to me.

I just can't imagine a second, Bond story explained without Sean or Roger.

Sean always will have the advantage of posterity because he launched everything, brilliantly. Roger is and I hope will stay the longest serving Bond ever... different but necessary to the serie.
    DN > LALD
    FRWL > TMWTGG
    GF > TSWLM
    TB > MR
    YOLT < FYEO
    DAF > OP
    NSNA < AVTAK

Connery's first two films, especially, showcased how great of a Bond actor he was. I think they also hold two of the best performances of his entire acting career.

• edited December 2012 Posts: 546
    Dr. No>Live And Let Die
    From Russia With Love>The Man With the Golden Gun
    Goldfinger>The Spy Who Loved Me
    Moonraker>Thunderball
    You Only Live Twice>For Your Eyes Only
    Octopussy>Diamonds Are Forever

4-2
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Octopussy>Never Say Never Again

Octopussy should face Diamonds Are Forever.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Octopussy>Never Say Never Again

Octopussy should face Diamonds Are Forever.

My apologies. I got excited when I saw the thread.
    LALD > DN : LALD was first I ever saw, therefore the one I have fondest memories of.
    TMWTGG > FRWL: Love FRWL but TMWTGG is my all time favourite.
    GF > TSWLM: By a plankton's nose.
    MR = TB: I'll have to watch Thunderball again.
    YOLT > FYEO: FYEO a bit too boring to compete with YOLT, surprisingly I think this is Connery's best performance as Bond.
    AVTAK > DAF: I like DAF but it took me 1 second to work this out (but I think AVTAK is second worst Moore bond film.)
    OP > NSNA: come on, one is a real Bond, one isn't. doesn't take a rocket scientist.
    draw counts as 0.5
    Moore:4.5
    Connery:2.5

• edited December 2012 Posts: 1,405

Dr No just barely over LALD
    From Russia With Love way over TMWTGG
    Goldfinger edges TSWLM
    Moonraker over Thunderball
    For your eyes only no contest over You Only Live Twice
    Octopussy beats Diamonds Are Forever
    A View to A Kill way better than ....? I don't consider NSNA an official Bond.

So, it's a 3-3 tie for me and a no-contest. My preference lies with Sir Roger, who, like I already mentioned, always gave his best. That cannot be said of M. Connery.
  • DN >> LALD
    FRWL >> TMWTGG
    GF >> TSWLM
    TB >> MR
    YOLT >> FYEO
    DAF >> OP
    NSNA || AVTAK (I can't make up my mind. Duck me, right? I actually like both films.

Last official film:
    DAF >> AVTAK

Connery >> Moore