Connery vs. Moore

Comments

For me they are both sides from the James Bond coin, and depending on the movie I fancy watching I decide my favorite that day. O:-)
    Hey, I'll join in on the fun!

DN/FRWL/GF/TB/YOLT >>>> All Moore Films

LALD/TSWLM/FYEO/OP >> DAF

DAF > TMWTGG/MR/AVTAK

If you couldn't tell...Sean wins for me. ;)
  • Dr No v Live and Let Die
    From Russia With Love v The Man With The Golden Gun
    Goldfinger v The Spy Who Loved Me
    Thunderball v Moonraker
    You Only Live Twice v For Your Eyes Only
    Diamonds Are Forever v Octopussy
    Never Say Never Again v A View To A Kill

Moore wins 6-1

The Moore/Connery rating though would go:

1) The Spy Who Loved Me
    2) Live and Let Die
    3) Goldfinger
    4) Octopussy
    5) From Russia With Love
    6) Diamonds Are Forever
    7) For Your Eyes Only
    8) Moonraker
    9) Thunderball
    10) You Only Live Twice
    11) A View To A Kill
    12) Dr. No
    13) The Man With The Golden Gun
    14) Never Say Never Again
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited May 2012 Posts: 12,459
    Well, to be brief, I favor more of Roger's films than Sean ... but I love Sean, too.
    TSWLM, FYEO, OP, LALD

DN, GF, FRWL

negligible for me: MR, TB, DAF, TMWTGG, YOLT

dislike: AVTAK
    I don't count NSNA, but I also didn't like it much
    It's nice that it's not just a completely one way fight. Sir Rog is able to stand up for himself.
    I prefer Sean, but I know that Rog has his place. They both demonstrate different aspects of the Bond character that are equally interesting and important. It only there was a way to get someone to play Bond who was the best of Sean AND Roger. Hmmmm...

Sean Connery + Roger Moore = Michael Fassbender

Anyone else see it? He could be a perfect hybrid of the two.
    I prefer Sean, but I know that Rog has his place. They both demonstrate different aspects of the Bond character that are equally interesting and important. It only there was a way to get someone to play Bond who was the best of Sean AND Roger. Hmmmm...

Sean Connery + Roger Moore = Michael Fassbender

Anyone else see it? He could be a perfect hybrid of the two.

I am not remotely interested in seeing someone try and combine the best of the previous actors. The last time someone tried that - no names mentioned ;) - we had a train wreck. The actor has to bring something new and make it their own. I think Fassbender would be good and I am sure he would do it his own way, but as discussed elsewhere, he will be both too old and too famous by the time DC steps down.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Many used to think Brosnan was the perfect Connery and Moore hybrid during his day. I'm not so sure about now though.
  • Samuel001 wrote:
    Many used to think Brosnan was the perfect Connery and Moore hybrid during his day. I'm not so sure about now though.

I have always seen Brosnan's Bond to be a younger version of Moore's Bond if you understand me?
    Samuel001 wrote:

I have always seen Brosnan's Bond to be a younger version of Moore's Bond if you understand me?

Since you've brought up Brosnan, I have never seen at all how he captures anything of either Sean or Roger's depictions - if only he had done!
  • Getafix wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Since you've brought up Brosnan, I have never seen at all how he captures anything of either Sean or Roger's depictions - if only he had done!

Don't get me wrong. Sir Rog and Sir Sean are streets ahead of any other Bond actor for me. I just see that if Bond was a continuous character and all was the same person throughout the 22 films, how Brosnan is would suit Moore's Bond more than any other Bond
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 11,425
    Getafix wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Don't get me wrong. Sir Rog and Sir Sean are streets ahead of any other Bond actor for me. I just see that if Bond was a continuous character and all was the same person throughout the 22 films, how Brosnan is would suit Moore's Bond more than any other Bond

So do you sort of see GE, TND, TWINE and DAD as prequels to LALD?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Check out 2:45 onwards. Even people in 1999 thought Brosnan 'had made it his own':

The titles suggested for the next film are just as bad as Die Another Day! :))
  • In effect and in strict terms of the character of Bond and how he is played, yes. Because if you were to pair the Bond's up, it would be Brosnan and Moore's that are similar compared to other actors (though Moore is vastly superior and better in every way)

I've stated before but I think the actors portray Bond at different stages of his life and career. Imo, the order goes:

Craig
    Dalton
    Lazenby
    Connery
    Brosnan
    Moore

I've always seen Dalton's Bond as an older version of Criag's. Both can be emotional and make rash mistakes though Dalton is more 'grown up' and world wise than Craig's.

I've probably made it more complicated than it is but hope you understand
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Check out 2:45 onwards. Even people in 1999 thought Brosnan 'had made it his own':

If 'making it your own' means trashing 30 years of heritage and turning in consistently bland and cringeworthy performances then he had it nailed from day one. ;)
    In effect and in strict terms of the character of Bond and how he is played, yes. Because if you were to pair the Bond's up, it would be Brosnan and Moore's that are similar compared to other actors (though Moore is vastly superior and better in every way)

I've stated before but I think the actors portray Bond at different stages of his life and career. Imo, the order goes:

Craig
    Dalton
    Lazenby
    Connery
    Brosnan
    Moore

I've always seen Dalton's Bond as an older version of Criag's. Both can be emotional and make rash mistakes though Dalton is more 'grown up' and world wise than Craig's.

I've probably made it more complicated than it is but hope you understand

I understand. Makes sense.
  • Getafix wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

If 'making it your own' means trashing 30 years of heritage and turning in consistently bland and cringeworthy performances then he had it nailed from day one. ;)

Yea well that's Chris Evans. His opinion has always counted for very little in the UK. To be honest, if Jim Carey played Bond, Evans would probably say he was the best 007. Ignore him
    I have to say Connery, the 2nd best along with Brosnan. But I do like Moore and I think he was a great James Bond.
    I have to say Connery, the 2nd best along with Brosnan. But I do like Moore and I think he was a great James Bond.

I am frankly surprised that someone who rates Dalts so highly (too highly, perhaps) has time for Brozza. In my mind they are mutually exclusive - Bond vs the Anti-Bond.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Getafix wrote:

I am frankly surprised that someone who rates Dalts so highly (too highly, perhaps) has time for Brozza. In my mind they are mutually exclusive - Bond vs the Anti-Bond.

Why suprised? I like all the Bonds, I just like some more than others. Brosnan wasn't as good as Dalton (I don't think anyone ever will be) but I enjoyed his Bond and most of his films. I don't see Brosnan as anti-Bond in any way. He looks like Bond, acts like Bond, he's more of a Moore type but he can dop darker moments, I thought he was good.

And it is not possible to rate Dalts too highly!
    Getafix wrote:

Why suprised? I like all the Bonds, I just like some more than others. Brosnan wasn't as good as Dalton (I don't think anyone ever will be) but I enjoyed his Bond and most of his films. I don't see Brosnan as anti-Bond in any way. He looks like Bond, acts like Bond, he's more of a Moore type but he can dop darker moments, I thought he was good.

Astonished that someone rates Brosnan as highly as Connery. And this view combined with putting Dalts first (although I also think he was brilliant) makes for a highly unusual view, IMO.

Sorry to see you don't rate Roger more highly. I actually think Roger's 'darker' moments (clown outfit in OP) are highly effective. He is unfairly stereotyped as the 'comedy' Bond.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Getafix wrote:
    Getafix wrote:

Astonished that someone rates Brosnan as highly as Connery. And this view combined with putting Dalts first (although I also think he was brilliant) makes for a highly unusual view, IMO.

Sorry to see you don't rate Roger more highly. I actually think Roger's 'darker' moments (clown outfit in OP) are highly effective. He is unfairly stereotyped as the 'comedy' Bond.

I rank Roger 3rd. I like his Bond, I just like others more, and I agree with you on his darker moments.
    Roger ranked below Pierce. That really is an injustice!
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 236
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Dr No beats LALD
    From Russia With Love beats TMWTGG to a pulp (and just about any other Bond film!)
    Goldfinger against TSWLM - It's a draw on points!
    Thunderball beats (and bloody savagely) MoonRaker
    YOLT takes a pasting from For Your Eyes Only
    DAF gets a good going over from Octopussy
    Never Say Never Again is disqualified against AVTAK for not having a proper licence - fight null and void! (AVTAK couldn't make it out of the changing room).

Connery's the better Bond, but look out Big Sean, young Tim's gonna wipe the floor with ya!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Getafix wrote:
    Roger ranked below Pierce. That really is an injustice!

Ranking Sir Rog below any of the 6,999,999,999 other human beings on earth is an injustice !
    As i grew up with him as Bond? It is dear old Roger Moore for me.
    Roger Moore is easily and without a second thought the better 007. His humor, style, suaveness, just everything beats Connery. I don't believe that an explanation is needed, because it should be simple enough when you hear the name Roger Moore. Except for Pierce Brosnan, he beats everyone else to a pulp. As for the movies, here's the breakdown:

Dr. No < Live and Let Die
    From Russia with Love > The Man with the Golden Gun
    Goldfinger < The Spy Who Loved Me
    Thunderball > Moonraker
    You Only Live Twice < For Your Eyes Only
    Diamonds Are Forever < Octopussy (barely though, it is close)
    Never Say Never Again < A View to a Kill

2 for Sean, and 5 for Roger!
    I must be seeing things, I know I'm damn tired, but have taken no hallucinogens this night, and keep seeing words before my eyes that resemble 'Moore is better Bond than Connery', not once, but a number of times?

This is quite unnerving, I don't know what people are thinking. Have I been abducted by extra terrestrials and undergoing a dream sequence, this is most bizarre :-<
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I must be seeing things, I know I'm damn tired, but have taken no hallucinogens this night, and keep seeing words before my eyes that resemble 'Moore is better Bond than Connery', not once, but a number of times?

This is quite unnerving, I don't know what people are thinking. Have I been abducted by extra terrestrials and undergoing a dream sequence, this is most bizarre :-<

That's what's so great, though: if we all hailed Connery as the 'greatest legend ever,' and we didn't like Moore or Brosnan or Craig or whoever for all the same reasons, this place would be incredibly dull. I enjoy being one of the few who likes Brosnan the most, and I enjoy seeing others who praise Moore or Lazenby or Connery or Craig like I praise Brosnan.