Skyfall - Teaser Trailer - Discussion Thread

Comments

• @ TLR- Robert Carlyle in general is a very good actor, so my thoughts on Renard aren't a result of anything he did wrong. I would answer your question by saying that the script and editing betrayed the potential of the character. For example, I think about a scene that Apted dropped after Cucinotta had left the banker's office. You hear Renard in the background but never see him. Add that to the end of the PTS where Cucinotta screams "not from him" and now you've added some menace. I'm looking at the trailer and what I've seen from Silva and Marlohe and thinking that Mendes knows exactly what to do with Silva.

Then I think about the "bullet killing Renard theory", which makes about as much sense as the JFK "magic bullet" theory. They can say it, Renard can do what they say, but the implausibility of it all renders the idea meaningless to begin with, making his holding of the hot rocks without pain also fairly ho-hum. The anarchists in "XXX" were more menacing than this. I could go on and on about the too transparent giving away of his alliance with Elektra, but I'll end this with about how unimpressed I was with his physical confrontations. This guy should pretty much be physically unstoppable like the Terminator with increasing strength and being unable to feel pain, but is no match whatsoever for Bond compared to other villains that came before. All the potential he has is undermined and Elektra winds up being the more effective and compelling villain in my estimation.

Hope that explains my statement.

It explains it, I just disagree with it, hahahaha.

I actually never saw his alliance with Elektra until they revealed it, suprised me. I liked the invincibility thing, it's no more implausible than some of the other stuff we've had in Bond films, and I love the scene with the hot rocks, although the final fight was a bit of a let down. I do agree that Elektra was a better villian overall.

Anyway, I think Renard is a great villian in a great film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't want to keep this too off topic, but I have to agree: Elektra definitely was the better villain, and I just didn't like the wasted concept of this invincible, painless terrorist, who gets destroyed by Bond, along with him wincing and yelling out in pain (which, I thought, he feels none of) in the finale fight between he and Bond. I felt that not only should he and Bond have had a much more brutal, intense fight, but Bond should have had to have done a lot more damage to stop Renard.
  • Exactly, a wasted concept is an excellent description for Renard. Haven't seen this one in awhile but you're so right that a man who feels no pain shouldn't be doing those things. I was really looking forward to Carlyle when they announced him because he's so capable and entertaining. Very disappointing. Where it is truly important to the storyline for him to be a superman, he isn't.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2012 Posts: 15,690
    I never could believe that Gaz from Full Monty was a Bond villain. Carlyle was one of my childhood heroes after I saw him in Full Monty. He was too awesome to be a Bond villain !
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Bardem seems to be a great, memorable villian but I do prefer his dark hair. Makes him look more menacing.

Really? Bardem with dark hair just makes him look generic. The blond hair gives him a distinct and extraordinary look.
    I think the man is incredibly menacing either way, whether his hair is blonde or dark. Time to watch the new trailer, yet again, so I can sit in awe of how much I love his character thus far.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Bardem seems to be a great, memorable villian but I do prefer his dark hair. Makes him look more menacing.

Really? Bardem with dark hair just makes him look generic. The blond hair gives him a distinct and extraordinary look.

Agreed. It adds a layer to the character, especially because it's obvious that it isn't natural.
    Exactly.
    Remember how Fleming would describe Bond's villains, that's how to process Bardem's/Silva's hair. Hasn't anyone noticed the YOLT/TMWTGG references in the trailers?
  • doubleoego wrote:

Your opinion. He'll probably be a great villian, but the blonde hair just makes him look wierd imo. The dark hair doesn't look generic at all to me.
  • I never could believe that Gaz from Full Monty was a Bond villain. Carlyle was one of my childhood heroes after I saw him in Full Monty. He was too awesome to be a Bond villain !

I love The Full Montey, brilliant film, very funny.
  • doubleoego wrote:

Your opinion. He'll probably be a great villian, but the blonde hair just makes him look wierd imo. The dark hair doesn't look generic at all to me.

Your opinion. The blonde, coupled with his wardrobe, is classic Fleming.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Silva gives me a Scaramanga vibe.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    edited August 2012 Posts: 2,635

Here it is, gentlemen. The Brand new Skyfall Trailer. Now the movie's up to be launched October in IMax.

I never ever thought that this 0:23 would happen.

Easter Eggs i've recognized:

DAD
    TWINE
    TMWTGG

Up to you guys to find them and many others ;)
  • doubleoego wrote:

I said imo, which means it was my opinion. Don't see what's Fleming about blonde hair.
    doubleoego wrote:

The problem with the blonde hair, other than there being no reason at this point for it to be blonde, is that it looks too coiffed for Bardem. The only way that would work for him is if he was playing a gay villain. But if he's just going to be another indistinguishable dime-a-dozen hetero bad guy, and if there's no reason for why his hair is blonde, then it's just all show and no real meat to the look. This is why Bardem's own dark hair worked for No Country for Old Men with that sloppy Shemp of 3 Stooges style. On the one hand it looked so awkward, but on the other hand, through its awkwardness it accentuated Bardem's evilness, both physically and in his personality. So if Bardem won't be playing a gay villain with that coiffed style, then it would seem to me he'd have a more strident look about him if his blond locks were shorn into perhaps a buzz-cut style. It really makes me wonder now how interesting Skyfall will be if right now the only thing that sticks in my mind from the trailer is Bardem's hair color and what, if anything, it could mean or relate to. Shouldn't any of the other scenes have stuck in my mind from that trailer? Oh, okay, M giving the okay to shoot Bond was good, in that good unexpected way.
  • EDell wrote:
    Why does it look so ... generic and underwhelming? I don't know about this one. Even Javier Bardem doesn't seem to pull any strings for me. Either that or the movie's great, but this is just a plain bad trailer with all the boring parts.

I can't say I disagree with you in a way. When I first saw the teaser trailer I was very excited but this new trailer was a little underwhelming to me and did have a look of a 'generic' style which makes me fearful this Bond film maybe too formulaic and typical Bond 'popcorn' in style. I hope I'm wrong and it will be daring, unique and sensational!!
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 12,837
    EDell wrote:
    Why does it look so ... generic and underwhelming? I don't know about this one. Even Javier Bardem doesn't seem to pull any strings for me. Either that or the movie's great, but this is just a plain bad trailer with all the boring parts.

I can't say I disagree with you in a way. When I first saw the teaser trailer I was very excited but this new trailer was a little underwhelming to me and did have a look of a 'generic' style which makes me fearful this Bond film maybe too formulaic and typical Bond 'popcorn' in style. I hope I'm wrong and it will be daring, unique and sensational!!

Am I the only one who massively preferred this new trailer to the teaser trailer???

The teaser was a bit boring and the music did nothing for me. This new one is really Bondanian while also being original, I love it.
  • EDell wrote:

Am I the only one who massively preferred this new trailer to the teaser trailer???

The teaser was a bit boring and the music did nothing for me. This new one is really Bondanian while also being original, I love it.

I've always been a bid fan of teaser trailers, the dangle of the carrot giving a hint of what to expect. The Skyfall teaser was no exception, it ticked all the boxes for exciting anticipation.

The new trailer will grow on me but it just felt too Bond 'comfortable' for me and didn't blow my mind or take my breath away. It's made me look forward to the film as oposed to getting over-excited as I hoped to be. I so hope I'm wrong and Skyfall is amazing!!
    @thelivingroyale, I couldn't possibly agree more to that previous statement: your comparison of the new trailer and the teaser trailer.
  • I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread already but Skyfall looks like it is taking some inspiration from the novel TMWTGG. I'm interested to see it play out. Did any of the writers or producers mention that they were looking back at the novels for inspiration?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Both Mendes and Craig re-read the novels and discussed them along with all the past films. This may well be why that section of the film is a key part of the story, just like in Fleming's novel.
  • Loving the idea that they are using past ideas in the film! Why cant SkyFall come out any sooner!!! The Trailer makes me want to see it now!
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 3
    About Bardem's fake looking blond hair, anyone else think it odd that he refers to M as "mommy" when speaking to Bond? I mean Bond is blond and Bardem's character seems to be discussing himself and Bond in relation to "M" ...almost as if they were siblings. Thoughts?
    He's speaking about her in relations to Bond, how she is his boss and he follows her orders and what have you. We have been discussing this in another topic quite extensively.
  • But could there be more to it though? Could he have some delusions about being somehow connected to Bond's lineage? Which thread?
    edited August 2012 Posts: 40,473
    I want to say it's the thread (may end up being a few pages back) about M being seen as the Queen by Bond? That, or one of the miscellaneous 'trailer' threads. I know we were talking about it somewhere.

And I doubt that Silva is M's son, but anything is a possibility, I suppose.
  • Bondfann wrote:
    About Bardem's fake looking blond hair, anyone else think it odd that he refers to M as "mommy" when speaking to Bond? I mean Bond is blond and Bardem's character seems to be discussing himself and Bond in relation to "M" ...almost as if they were siblings. Thoughts?

VeryBond, Bond_Fan, BondFann

Bondfann wrote:
    But could there be more to it though? Could he have some delusions about being somehow connected to Bond's lineage? Which thread?

No. I think people are looking for things that just aren't there. Not everything needs to be overanalysed. That sort of thinking but on an extreme level is what lead that moronic director, Tamahori to come up with that dumb theory about ajames Bond being a code name.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 3
    Naturally, I don't quite see it that way. If you listen carefully to the dialogue in the recent trailers there definitely seems to be a thread connecting Silva, M and Bond. He also says " ..the two survivors...this is what she made us..." , 'she' presumably being M and the 'two survivors' presumably being Silva and Bond. Now you don't have to agree with me but I am not seeing or hearing things that are NOT there, they are!

Anyway, no need to argue, we will know for sure soon enough.