Godzilla

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.

robert-fichman-artstationsanta-godzilla.gif?1540535838
    l39zE4F.jpeg
    CJoqHcR.jpeg
    giphy.gif
    83d.jpeg

891gb1.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaLGnskWkCP4br8dm2C-xMTDM1tIlemCyvwwH33PhyfFpvTL4y

80db68a7efffe18b02b8eeabc7cdc43ae7656b3er1-800-800_00.gif
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Nice to see Godzilla getting into the Christmas spirit @RichardTheBruce !

latest?cb=20140327080607

latest?cb=20131211004830

:))
  • BirdlesonBirdleson Moderator
    edited January 7 Posts: 2,161
    I decided to put together a Top Eleven.

1. GOJIRA (1954)
    2. KING KONG VS. GODZILLA (1962)
    3. GODZILLA MINUS ONE (2023)
    4. SHIN GODZILLA (2016)
    5. MOTHRA VS. GODZILLA (1964)
    6. GODZILLA VS. DESTROYAH (1993)
    7. ALL MONSTERS ATTACK (1969)
    8. GODZILLA VS. KING GHIDORAH (1991)
    9. GODZILLA VS. BIOLLANTE (1989)
    10. DESTROY ALL MONSTERS (1968)
    11. GODZILLA: FINAL WARS (2004)

I did not include the American films, but none of them would have made my top 10 anyway. I think the Legendary monsters look great, but those stories are plodding and the characters unbearably cloying.

Anyone else have a go?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I decided to put together a Top Eleven.

1. GOJIRA (1954)
    2. KING KONG VS. GODZILLA (1962)
    3. GODZILLA MINUS ONE (2023)
    4. SHIN GODZILLA (2016)
    5. GODZILLA VS. MOTHRA (1964)
    6. GODZILLA VS. DESTROYAH (1993)
    7. ALL MONSTERS ATTACK (1969)
    8. GODZILLA VS. KING GHIDORAH (1991)
    9. GODZILLA VS. BIOLLANTE (1989)
    10. DESTROY ALL MONSTERS (1968)
    11. GODZILLA: FINAL WARS (2004)

I did not include the American films, but none of them would have made my top 10 anyway. I think the Legendary monsters look great, but those stories are plodding and the characters unbearably cloying.

Anyone else have a go?

Wow, no GMK?
    edited December 2023 Posts: 2,161
    I mostly missed that era at the time, and I watched that one for the first time last week. I really didn’t care for it. I had heard such great things about it.
    Boy is this going to be fun. :D

ALL MONSTERS ATTACK (1969) @talos7 ?

Ironically, while most Godzilla fans don't rank that film very highly, I remember reading that it was one of Honda's favorites. In the US it was released as "Godzilla's Revenge" and included a great theme song.

My top ten (in the order of Japanese release date);
    1. GOJIRA (1954)
    2. MOTHRA vs. GODZILLA (1964)
    3. GHIDORAH, THE THREE-HEADED MONSTER (1964)
    4. GODZILLA vs. HEDORAH (1971)
    5. GODZILLA VS. BIOLLANTE (1989)
    6. GODZILLA VS. KING GHIDORAH (1991)
    7. GODZILLA VS. DESTROYAH (1995)
    8. GODZILLA, MOTHRA and KING GHIDORAH: GIANT MONSTERS All-Out Attack (i.e., GMK)
    9. SHIN GODZILLA (2016)
    10. GODZILLA MINUS ONE (2023)
    And I must express special note of love to Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (i.e., Godzilla vs. The Sea Monster) since that was my first "G" film. I must have seen it on TV when I was about 7 years old, and thought it was the coolest thing ever (...still do BTW).

This helped too .....
    anyone-else-here-had-a-crush-on-dayo-when-they-were-a-kid-v0-5e3z0kv0dj1a1.png?auto=webp&s=63e52cf334dc3edd01580eda7d5cf1ee6182163e

:x
    Great list, we overlap a lot. GODZILLA VS THE SMOG MONSTER (HEDORAH) was the first Godzilla film that I saw in the theater. REVENGE was always a favorite growing up. It was one of those ones that was on TV fairly regularly. I still get all wrapped up in the boy’s story.

@Dwayne , if you grew up in New York, depending on your age, you probably watched the Godzilla films on local channels 11 and 9 just like I did.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Are we confusing All Monsters Attack with Destroy All Monsters? AMA is usually at the very bottom for its Minilla centric story and reused stock footage for most of the battles. I love it because it’s so kid friendly and captures the imagination of a child well, my son (age 5) and I love watching it together. I rarely see it crack top 10s though! DAM on the other hand usually cracks top 10s
    I remember it well @Birdleson.

Every Thanksgiving Day, the old WOR (channel 9) would broadcast KING KONG (1930), THE SON OF KONG and MIGHTY JOE YOUNG. Then on Friday, usually starting at around noon time, they would run 4-5 Godzilla films in a row. :D

As I recall reading, they stopped doing this at some point in the late 1980s/early 1990s due to the cost of the KONG broadcast rights.

Another favorite childhood memory was WABC's "4:30 MOVIE" (channel 7). Each week, they always seemed to have a theme. For example, I remember watching the FLINT movies (they would show each over two days) and various SCI-FI films like ATRAGON or THE MYSTERIANS.

I want to say that I saw GODZILLA vs. THE SEA MONSTER on a WNBC movie program (The Film Festival) that use to run late night. But I never been able to confirm that.
    I don’t remember where I initially saw that one. My first two, GHIDORAH and KING KING VS, I watched when I was very young on some channel out of Philly (probably 17).
    @MooseWithFleas , no confusion on my part. I love the one that’s all a kids fantasy, whatever the title.
    @MooseWithFleas , no confusion on my part. I love the one that’s all a kids fantasy, whatever the title.

Ah nice! Loving the admiration for All Monsters Attack! :)
    TCM Stomps Into
    2024 With a New Year’s Day
    Marathon of
    Eight Old-School
    Godzilla Movies

https://www.remindmagazine.com/article/9161/tcm-godzilla-movie-marathon-new-year-2024-turner-classic-movies-schedule/

Not much of a Godzilla universe fan but Iv heard nothing but great things about Minus One. Would like to see but my local cinema isn’t showing it😡

Its limited run was surprisingly extended, I see showings available through 4 January in the US. Even included some smaller venues i noticed.

‘Godzilla Minus One’ Tops
    $80 Million To Set New
    Box Office Record

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2023/12/30/godzilla-minus-one-tops-80-million-to-set-new-box-office-record/?sh=20bdf60c413f

• LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited January 1 Posts: 1,430
    Its limited run was surprisingly extended, I see showings available through 4 January in the US. Even included some smaller venues i noticed.

‘Godzilla Minus One’ Tops
    $80 Million To Set New
    Box Office Record

https://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2023/12/30/godzilla-minus-one-tops-80-million-to-set-new-box-office-record/?sh=20bdf60c413f

happy for the movie but that article repeats a false fact, the director has since come out and said that he wishes the movie only costed $15 million, but it was much more. A record, but still measured success.
    Here is my top 5

1. Godzilla 2014
    2. Godzilla minus one
    3. Godzilla 1954
    4. Godzilla 1985
    5. Godzilla vs destroyah
    6. King kong vs godzilla
    Regarding the production budget of Godzilla Minus One, director Takashi Yamazaki is quoted as saying it was less than $15 million, he wishes that amount was available.

I'll give a quick go at a top 11. This list has changed wildly over time, but feel pretty strong the top 2 will stay locked in. Minus One was just that good.

Godzilla Minus One
    Godzilla (1954)
    Godzilla Final Wars
    Godzilla Tokyo SOS
    Mothra vs Godzilla (1964)
    Godzilla vs Mothra (1992)
    Return of Godzilla
    All Monsters Attack
    Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
    Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
    Ghidora, the Three Headed Monster
    Watching Monarch and its as good as Minus one in terms of getting me interested in the characters…

So why can the big budget hollywood films do this
    edited January 2 Posts: 2,625
    TCM Stomps Into
    2024 With a New Year’s Day
    Marathon of
    Eight Old-School
    Godzilla Movies

https://www.remindmagazine.com/article/9161/tcm-godzilla-movie-marathon-new-year-2024-turner-classic-movies-schedule/
    I’ve been tweeting about Godzilla since 600am this morning and I’m very tired. I-)

Regardless of how much Godzilla Minus One cost to make, attempting to compare production budgets between countries is probably dicey at best – yet I’m seeing this all over YouTube (i.e., “why can’t Hollywood make movies for that amount of money?”).

Without knowing all of the details (and not being an expert at this in any way), my understanding is that wage rates, overtime rules and unionization policies are very different in Japan. In addition, from what I know, few Japanese films count on earning significant box office outside of the country, so their budget constraints maybe very different than a typical US movie. Also, while $15 million is a small amount for a US based production, it could still be an expensive film for a Japanese studio to make.

In short, I don't really know (or I don't think I know) what that $15 million number really means.

A more interesting comparison may be with something like OPPENHEIMER - which had a production budget of about $100 million (i.e., before promotion costs, etc..) Even BARBIE's costs have quoted as being under $150 million. In short, the larger question may still be appropriate. Why do certain movies have production budgets of $200-$250 million and other, equally made films, do not? I don't have an answer BTW.

As for Godzilla: Minus One, I saw it for a third time on Saturday morning (at a mostly full house) under the assumption that it will get pulled before this weekend. And even the Alamo Drafthouse isn't showing anything after 1/3 - and the remaining screenings are almost sold-out.
    Monarch legacy of monsters is a fantastic series
    I absolutely loved Godzilla Minus One; I really hope that if there is a sequel, or sequels, that they keep the tone of of Minus One, even if other monsters are introduced.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Great list, we overlap a lot. GODZILLA VS THE SMOG MONSTER (HEDORAH) was the first Godzilla film that I saw in the theater. REVENGE was always a favorite growing up. It was one of those ones that was on TV fairly regularly. I still get all wrapped up in the boy’s story.

@Dwayne , if you grew up in New York, depending on your age, you probably watched the Godzilla films on local channels 11 and 9 just like I did.

WPIX.
    WOR.

My quick six list, in order:

Godzilla: Final Wars (2004)
    Godzilla Minus One (2023)
    Destroy All Monsters (1968)
    Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II (1993)
    Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)
    Godzilla vs. Destroyah (1995)
    edited January 7 Posts: 2,625
    FYI, GODZILLA: MINUS ONE has been extended (yet) again in the US and will be in theaters at-least through January 11th. The film is also beginning to pick up its' share of year-end awards from regional critic associations (i.e., "best visual effects") and is on the top-ten list on several online sites. A Godzilla film being cited as one of the best films of the year? I didn't have that on my bingo card for 2023! :D

https://letterboxd.com/crew/list/2023-highest-rated-action-adventure-films/

As for a sequel @talos7, Toho has already announced that they will only proceed with a new film if a worthy script is developed - along with having a director and cast being in place. In short, they plan to take their time and do it right.

Godzilla-Minus-One_trailer-02_screenshot-02-1920x1440.jpg
    I’m a physical media guy; I definitely hope it gets a physical release, including the B&W version.
    talos7 wrote: »
    I’m a physical media guy; I definitely hope it gets a physical release, including the B&W version.

I'm sure that it will get a physical release. The question is when and will a dubbed version be created. For example, while SHIN GODZILLA was shown in US theaters in Japanese with English subtitles, the DVD/Blu-Ray also has a dubbed version. IIRC, the process - from theater to DVD release - took about a year. If they go that route with GODZILLA: MINUS ONE, a physical release may get delayed.
    If you think that fans don't have a great deal of affection for the Toho monsters, think again. ^:)^

Would definitely see a third time if monochrome release comes to US